ImageImageImage

Suns Hire Kokoskov !!! World Rejoices!!!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Re: RE: Re: Suns Hire Kokoskov !!! World Rejoices!!! 

Post#621 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:01 pm

gaspar wrote:
kennydorglas wrote:Devin Smith, Maccabi’s 33-year-old veteran leader, said Bender has been deferential to his older teammates, gleaning tips from those who’ve played in the NBA, and readily accepting guidance—even as they kid him about lending them money because of the big contract he is expected to land.

“If he was playing against kids his age in the states right now he would easily be one of the best ones. But right now he is playing against professionals every day,” said Smith, who played his college ball at the University of Virginia. “Right now he is more of a catch-and-shoot guy. I feel like he doesn’t understand the talent that he could have. I feel like he hasn’t fully grown into his body yet, he doesn’t understand how big he is or how to use his body to his advantage.”

June 7, 2016

Two years later nothing has changed.
Yeah its now or never for bender. This move kind of feels like a last ditch effort to provide all the resources to succeed so it on him to capitalize.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,152

Re: Suns Hire Kokoskov !!! World Rejoices!!! 

Post#622 » by stoo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:36 am

hey there... i've just joined realgm forum.. i come from serbia, from where Kokoškov is. I try not to have biased opinions, and am actually super critic towards myself and groups i belong to, so that we can make it better. and that is why i can stand after something i say, coz i won't praise anything for no reason... And i praise Igor

I wanted to give you few of my personal insights about what is happening in Suns.

First, if someone is interested can take a look at this article about serbian coaching basketball school.
http://www.euroleague.net/final-four/belgrade-2018/news/i/8qbfpcyr3qi6gk4g/secrets-of-the-serbian-coaching-school

so i've been thinking for some years, what it would be like if serbian coach was leading a nba team, and luckily we will have an opportunity to see that next season... you can read in the article above, but short thing to say, every serbian coach likes to be in charge of everything that is happening in their team, and take responsibility for that. Also, serbian coach (and i can continue saying Kokoskov from now on instead), likes to have discipline in the team and on the court. That is one reason i believe there is no chance Lebron is coming to Suns (as if it ever was), because you have to play the way coach tells you, no wasted possessions... And that is why we should think of the players fitting in the Suns by being able to provide what coach is asking, not what he can do by himself... Thus, lot of players that might come in Suns as average will bloom there, coz they've been scouted in kind of different way. That is reason i believe there is a chance Bjelica ends up in Suns for real, and provide. Lot of europian players play good in good system, and he was Euroleague MVP and hasn't shown his potential yet.

Great thing about Igor, why i like him so much, is that he seems to be perfect balance between serbian and american basketball school... in a sense that he will make successful team out of any players you give him, by playing a team game. But also, he is specialized in psychology in sport, and will know when to give his player freedom to play (which some other serbian coaches don't do well)

So what is happening right now, is spreading NBA to other markets and bringing their ideas to NBA (ok, not just right now).
I am thinking, Suns are trying to make new big step in NBA, by offering a new kind of play... Like something GSW did last.
So trying to figure out how to beat the best team in different way, not just by trying to be good like them.

I am super exited and believe Suns are going to be one of the most interesting teams to watch next season, and wouldn't be surprised if they actually surpass expectations of every one of us here.

Roast me for everything i said here if Suns fail... also, have trust in Igor's decisions... As i said, he will know the best what players he needs... We can just sit and relax, coz we don't really know what he looks for, but he does
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#623 » by Saberestar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:12 am

stoo wrote:hey there... i've just joined realgm forum.. i come from serbia, from where Kokoškov is. I try not to have biased opinions, and am actually super critic towards myself and groups i belong to, so that we can make it better. and that is why i can stand after something i say, coz i won't praise anything for no reason... And i praise Igor

I wanted to give you few of my personal insights about what is happening in Suns.

First, if someone is interested can take a look at this article about serbian coaching basketball school.
http://www.euroleague.net/final-four/belgrade-2018/news/i/8qbfpcyr3qi6gk4g/secrets-of-the-serbian-coaching-school

so i've been thinking for some years, what it would be like if serbian coach was leading a nba team, and luckily we will have an opportunity to see that next season... you can read in the article above, but short thing to say, every serbian coach likes to be in charge of everything that is happening in their team, and take responsibility for that. Also, serbian coach (and i can continue saying Kokoskov from now on instead), likes to have discipline in the team and on the court. That is one reason i believe there is no chance Lebron is coming to Suns (as if it ever was), because you have to play the way coach tells you, no wasted possessions... And that is why we should think of the players fitting in the Suns by being able to provide what coach is asking, not what he can do by himself... Thus, lot of players that might come in Suns as average will bloom there, coz they've been scouted in kind of different way. That is reason i believe there is a chance Bjelica ends up in Suns for real, and provide. Lot of europian players play good in good system, and he was Euroleague MVP and hasn't shown his potential yet.

Great thing about Igor, why i like him so much, is that he seems to be perfect balance between serbian and american basketball school... in a sense that he will make successful team out of any players you give him, by playing a team game. But also, he is specialized in psychology in sport, and will know when to give his player freedom to play (which some other serbian coaches don't do well)

So what is happening right now, is spreading NBA to other markets and bringing their ideas to NBA (ok, not just right now).
I am thinking, Suns are trying to make new big step in NBA, by offering a new kind of play... Like something GSW did last.
So trying to figure out how to beat the best team in different way, not just by trying to be good like them.

I am super exited and believe Suns are going to be one of the most interesting teams to watch next season, and wouldn't be surprised if they actually surpass expectations of every one of us here.

Roast me for everything i said here if Suns fail... also, have trust in Igor's decisions... As i said, he will know the best what players he needs... We can just sit and relax, coz we don't really know what he looks for, but he does

Kokoskov was born in Serbia, ok, but that is just an anecdote at this point in his career as a coach.

I would not say that he has a lot in common with other coaches just because he was born in the same country or Europe. He has his own style.

He has spent the last 19 years in USA learning and experiencing different styles of basketball and he has coached on different competitions since then. NCAA, FIBA, NBA.

He is a unique coach, he adapts his system to the players that he has on his roster.

He can have some things here or there in common with other coaches, from his country or not, but that is all.
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,152

Post#624 » by stoo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:57 am

I agree partially. But he was not just born in Serbia. He played basketball in Serbia before he got injured at age 20, and then he was coaching her for 3 years. So he has a lot of serbian coaching style imprinted. That can not dissappear. But i said he brought American style in it, which is great. So expect to watch kind of eropean game with American athleticism. Im talking something like san antonio spurs.

Also, if you re eager, you cn read this analysis of a game where usa beaten serbia by 3 points and bogi missed last sec open 3 shot. Unfortunatelly, i cant find video analysis of that mach i watched once.
https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2016/8/13/12457932/olympic-basketball-scores-2016-serbia-team-usa-nikola-jokic

Reminder, serbia was silver medalist without their best squad at last olympics and world cup, loosing to team usa, and second at last european competituon loosing to igor's slovenia. At all those turnaments Serbia wasn't favorite, because of other teams have better payers, but by team play Serbia actually demolished all the teams except turnament winners. I am talking Australia, Lithuania, France. ..

I am saying, only certain thing is that we are going to watch extremely competitive suns next season
NotSinceWilt
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#625 » by kennydorglas » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:13 am

gaspar wrote:
kennydorglas wrote:Devin Smith, Maccabi’s 33-year-old veteran leader, said Bender has been deferential to his older teammates, gleaning tips from those who’ve played in the NBA, and readily accepting guidance—even as they kid him about lending them money because of the big contract he is expected to land.

“If he was playing against kids his age in the states right now he would easily be one of the best ones. But right now he is playing against professionals every day,” said Smith, who played his college ball at the University of Virginia. “Right now he is more of a catch-and-shoot guy. I feel like he doesn’t understand the talent that he could have. I feel like he hasn’t fully grown into his body yet, he doesn’t understand how big he is or how to use his body to his advantage.”

June 7, 2016

you can say that to pretty much all of our prospects tho.
the only one who really improved some weakness was Alex Len (passing)

This is what happens when u hire the worst coach of all time.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,764

Post#626 » by matt131 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:47 am

kennydorglas wrote:
gaspar wrote:

June 7, 2016

you can say that to pretty much all of our prospects tho.
the only one who really improved some weakness was Alex Len (passing)

This is what happens when u hire the worst coach best yoga instructor of all time.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#627 » by Saberestar » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:33 pm

Read on Twitter
Midnight_Suns
Pro Prospect
And1: 952

Post#628 » by Midnight_Suns » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:18 pm

Another underwhelming coaching hire.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#629 » by NTB » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:37 pm

Read on Twitter
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#630 » by kennydorglas » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:05 pm

29yo and already an assistant coach. Must be a really bright mind.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#631 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:37 pm

I'm uneasy with all these hires. I just don't feel like there's enough high level experience on there. *MAYBE* there's an outside chance that this relatively inexperienced group has the magic formula but that's a long shot. I really want Igor to do well, for our sake, for his sake and for the sake of future European coaches but given the staff around him right now, I'm not confident in that.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#632 » by NTB » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:05 am

lilfishi22 wrote:I'm uneasy with all these hires. I just don't feel like there's enough high level experience on there. *MAYBE* there's an outside chance that this relatively inexperienced group has the magic formula but that's a long shot. I really want Igor to do well, for our sake, for his sake and for the sake of future European coaches but given the staff around him right now, I'm not confident in that.

We had Tyrone Corbin and Jay Triano as experienced assistants but when your head coach is Earl Watson... So I think it all depends on the head coach and I trust Igor.
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#633 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:14 am

NTB wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I'm uneasy with all these hires. I just don't feel like there's enough high level experience on there. *MAYBE* there's an outside chance that this relatively inexperienced group has the magic formula but that's a long shot. I really want Igor to do well, for our sake, for his sake and for the sake of future European coaches but given the staff around him right now, I'm not confident in that.

We had Tyrone Corbin and Jay Triano as experienced assistants but when your head coach is Earl Watson... So I think it all depends on the head coach and I trust Igor.

I suppose Prunty has some good experience. The first half of his career, he was with some great programs (early 2000 Spurs, mid-2000 Mavs and 2nd-half of 2000 Blazers) but after that, he was on some so-so teams (post-Lebron Cavs, Nets, Bucks). So overall, he has as much assistant experience as any of them.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,467

Post#634 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:17 am

NTB wrote:

I like a young group. I probably feel the least good about the guy with the most experience, Prunty. These guys will be eager to prove their worth and I bet they are all grateful for the opportunity. We either have had a bunch of guys jockeying for position behind Gentry...or a bunch of old souls behind clueless Watson after they get rid of Hornacek's assistants to put Watson in line for interim for whatever reason.

Igor seems like a guy that builds a good team...I think he's a smart guy and I trust him and I think these guys will work hard. I like that we have video people and scouts on it too. Not totally sure about Devin Smith either but I like the rest of the hires.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#635 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:24 am

I'm going to put my faith in Igor (not McD) and hope this is the team he believes will work
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#636 » by gaspar » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:47 am

I honestly couldn't care less who our assistant coaches are.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,467

Post#637 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jul 2, 2018 5:49 pm

Read on Twitter
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#638 » by BobbieL » Mon Jul 2, 2018 6:27 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read this yesterday. Actually saw the link on Saturday and saved it for the Sunday paper! But a very good read. I knew he met Snyder 20 years ago - but good to get more insight. He really has worked his way up - job to job, coaches to coaches. Calhoun, Coach K, Larry Brown, Gentry, Quin twice, and all the rest. Vlade - makes sense he knows Igor since both are Serbian and only a few years apart. Of course the Drazen love (one of the best ESPN 30 for 30s was talking Serbian Croatia basketball with Vlade back home and they brought up Drazen Petrovic).

A basketball lifer. Family and basketball. That is what the team needs. A teacher, a strategist. A very good hire! Suns got this one right in my opinion.
batsmasher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#639 » by batsmasher » Mon Jul 2, 2018 10:40 pm

I think what Earl taught me is that the NBA is full of the top 0.0001% of ball players and that differentiating between them is real hard. It starts and stops with Igor. There's talent everywhere from top to bottom in the NBA and a good coach will make it work.

The Ariza signing, the trade for Bridges, Ayton pick all mean nothing unless Igor can actually coach. I look forward to seeing how it plays out.
de'aaron fox will be a hof'er, don't @ me
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#640 » by nevetsov » Tue Jul 3, 2018 11:29 am

Does anyone know if any of Igor's previous teams have run an offense similar to the 4-out system we are expected to play given the personnel we now have?

Return to Phoenix Suns