ImageImageImage

Suns Hire Kokoskov !!! World Rejoices!!!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Blackification
Head Coach
And1: 2,229

Re: Suns Hire Kokoskov !!! World Rejoices!!! 

Post#601 » by Blackification » Thu Jun 7, 2018 2:05 am

No excuses, no fluff, no yoga, no lovey dovey philosophical bull. Straight up real talk and accountability for himself and I have no doubts it will extend to expectations for players. We are lucky to have him lead this young group
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#602 » by DirtyDez » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:21 am

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.phx-suns.net%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D1604%26start%3D460
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#604 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:32 am

DirtyDez wrote:
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.phx-suns.net%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D1604%26start%3D460

Interesting. Staudt was an asst coach for the Bucks but most of his positions were in scouting and/or as video coordinator I believe. And I don't know that Smith has coached at all and had been playing for Maccabi for six years until last year and all his experience was playing in various euro leagues.

Though he may mean Devon Smith who has been a player development coach/manager for Wichita St.
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,764

Post#605 » by matt131 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:34 am

Staudt had been hired by the Orlando Magic as a pro personnel scout prior to last season
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#606 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:22 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,816

Post#607 » by Saberestar » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:32 am

bwgood77 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting. Staudt was an asst coach for the Bucks but most of his positions were in scouting and/or as video coordinator I believe. And I don't know that Smith has coached at all and had been playing for Maccabi for six years until last year and all his experience was playing in various euro leagues.

Though he may mean Devon Smith who has been a player development coach/manager for Wichita St.

Not exciting news IMO because both are rookies on their new jobs.

Devin Smith? Seriously?
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#608 » by Saberestar » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:36 am

Read on Twitter
Midnight_Suns
Pro Prospect
And1: 952

Post#609 » by Midnight_Suns » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:13 am

Someone please explain why we hired a guy with zero coaching experience for player development on a YOUNG team.
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#610 » by Jdiddy701 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:19 am

Not digging the hires under Coach Igor... maybe that’s a good thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,421

Post#611 » by Revived » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:01 am

Saberestar wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#612 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:12 am

Yeah I can't say I'm really blown away by the coaching hires. Very very low key hires. Maybe it's a good thing but the last time we hired a coach with little to no coaching experience, we basically set player development and the 'timeline' back a year.

If the front office hoped on the down low that we'd have some notable NBA coaching experience behind a rookie HC, I think they'd be shaking in their boots right now. I hope I'm wrong but I can't say I'm thrilled by the guys we've hired.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,421

Post#613 » by Revived » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:19 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Yeah I can't say I'm really blown away by the coaching hires. Very very low key hires. Maybe it's a good thing but the last time we hired a coach with little to no coaching experience, we basically set player development and the 'timeline' back a year.

If the front office hoped on the down low that we'd have some notable NBA coaching experience behind a rookie HC, I think they'd be shaking in their boots right now. I hope I'm wrong but I can't say I'm thrilled by the guys we've hired.

Monty Williams was the one I was hoping we could land. His pedigree speaks for itself. And he doesn't have the snake type behavior of trying to screw anyone over for the top job. Great relationships with current players as well.
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#614 » by gaspar » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:21 am

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#615 » by Saberestar » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:49 am

Midnight_Suns wrote:Someone please explain why we hired a guy with zero coaching experience for player development on a YOUNG team.

He is cheap for sure. Like the rest of the staff.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#616 » by BobbieL » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:17 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Midnight_Suns wrote:Someone please explain why we hired a guy with zero coaching experience for player development on a YOUNG team.

He is cheap for sure. Like the rest of the staff.

lets see - Prunty has experience
Corliss has experience

SToudt has experience
Smith doesn't

I am guessing people asked Pop why he hired Becky Hammons to sit in the back row without experience.

I am good with the staff actually
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#617 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:25 pm

I take the 'who knows' perspective on these hires. So hard to say who could be good or what traits they like in these guys. Until Igor proves otherwise I'll trust his choices. But who knows it could be great or a disaster.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#618 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:05 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I take the 'who knows' perspective on these hires. So hard to say who could be good or what traits they like in these guys. Until Igor proves otherwise I'll trust his choices. But who knows it could be great or a disaster.

Yeah, experience from guys bouncing around the league isn't always good. Young and hungry guys can be good. I imagine the guy that has done a lot of video and scouting will be one of the assistants who breaks down future opponents for the coach and players to for game prep which is very important.

Devin Smith is an interesting one though.

These hires came from Gambo though...have they both been confirmed other than people running with Gambo's news? He ran with the Woodson story and he was wrong there.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#619 » by kennydorglas » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Devin Smith, Maccabi’s 33-year-old veteran leader, said Bender has been deferential to his older teammates, gleaning tips from those who’ve played in the NBA, and readily accepting guidance—even as they kid him about lending them money because of the big contract he is expected to land.

“If he was playing against kids his age in the states right now he would easily be one of the best ones. But right now he is playing against professionals every day,” said Smith, who played his college ball at the University of Virginia. “Right now he is more of a catch-and-shoot guy. I feel like he doesn’t understand the talent that he could have. I feel like he hasn’t fully grown into his body yet, he doesn’t understand how big he is or how to use his body to his advantage.”

June 7, 2016
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#620 » by gaspar » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:53 pm

kennydorglas wrote:Devin Smith, Maccabi’s 33-year-old veteran leader, said Bender has been deferential to his older teammates, gleaning tips from those who’ve played in the NBA, and readily accepting guidance—even as they kid him about lending them money because of the big contract he is expected to land.

“If he was playing against kids his age in the states right now he would easily be one of the best ones. But right now he is playing against professionals every day,” said Smith, who played his college ball at the University of Virginia. “Right now he is more of a catch-and-shoot guy. I feel like he doesn’t understand the talent that he could have. I feel like he hasn’t fully grown into his body yet, he doesn’t understand how big he is or how to use his body to his advantage.”

June 7, 2016

Two years later nothing has changed.

Return to Phoenix Suns