Trade and free agency speculation

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,450

Re: Trade and free agency speculation 

Post#221 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:27 am

SuperSunsFan wrote:I don't like to sign a veteran just for the sake of signing a player, there is no guarantee that whomever we sign will get us more wins. Seriously anyone really want us to have a big chunk of our cap tied up for the next 4 years to sign Favors so we can get 3 more wins? I would rather have the cap saved up for resigning our young players. I think we should stay put and let the young guys play to find out how good they are instead of getting a veteran point who is going to take Makal's minutes away. Don't tell me that McD traded away the most valuable asset we had in the Miami pick just to get a bench guy, Makal must start and Igor must find a way to make a starting lineup with Makal-Booker-JJ work, why surrender the Miami pick to get Makal when Donte was there if a bench 3D guy was all we wanted?

I generally agree. I don't think he should go crazy in free agency/trades unless there is an opportunity to find a solid vet PG who doesn't break the bank and can make others better...be kind of the floor general for the team.

I wouldn't mind Favors because I'd rather have him than paying a ton or giving up assets in a S&T for Gordon or Parker. We have a lot of wings, stretch guys...but he gives us another vet big..who can defend, block shots and generally is a solid inside guy...probably a good guy to have around Ayton...a guy who's been in the league under good coaches, is familiar with Koko, etc...and I know we'd only go for him if Koko thought it was a good signing.
SuperSunsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,364

Post#222 » by SuperSunsFan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:32 am

bwgood77 wrote:
SuperSunsFan wrote:I don't like to sign a veteran just for the sake of signing a player, there is no guarantee that whomever we sign will get us more wins. Seriously anyone really want us to have a big chunk of our cap tied up for the next 4 years to sign Favors so we can get 3 more wins? I would rather have the cap saved up for resigning our young players. I think we should stay put and let the young guys play to find out how good they are instead of getting a veteran point who is going to take Makal's minutes away. Don't tell me that McD traded away the most valuable asset we had in the Miami pick just to get a bench guy, Makal must start and Igor must find a way to make a starting lineup with Makal-Booker-JJ work, why surrender the Miami pick to get Makal when Donte was there if a bench 3D guy was all we wanted?

I generally agree. I don't think he should go crazy in free agency/trades unless there is an opportunity to find a solid vet PG who doesn't break the bank and can make others better...be kind of the floor general for the team.

I wouldn't mind Favors because I'd rather have him than paying a ton or giving up assets in a S&T for Gordon or Parker. We have a lot of wings, stretch guys...but he gives us another vet big..who can defend, block shots and generally is a solid inside guy...probably a good guy to have around Ayton...a guy who's been in the league under good coaches, is familiar with Koko, etc...and I know we'd only go for him if Koko thought it was a good signing.

I haven't been following the league very closely in the last few years why was there big drop off with Favors' production 2 years ago? just from looking at his stats he went from averaging 16+ points to like 8 Points 2 years ago, what happened, why do people think spending big dollar on a guy who has been declining is worth it?
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#223 » by LukasBMW » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:37 am

bwgood77 wrote:
LukasBMW wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:McD's best move of the summer was hiring Kokoskov

So about that...

I'm NOT an insider but I did hear that:

-Kokoskov wanted Doncic over Ayton
-Kokoskov isn't a huge fan of Booker (He thinks Booker doesn't play defense, takes bad shots, and has inflated stats).

If these are both true...I'm not sure we hired the right guy BECAUSE:

-Ayton is a stud, game changer, and generational talent
-Booker is a star

If there is any clash between Booker/Ayton and coach...then this coach needs to go.

Where the hell did you hear that? But anyway, Booker doesn't play defense and he does take bad shots, but Igor should help him in those areas.

Even if he wanted Doncic over Ayton you always have different people in front offices wanting things, and a lot of the fans wanted Doncic too. And of course he knows him.
'
But he also said in interviews that he hasn't seen all the guys and scouted them and the draft pick isn't up to him because the people who's job it is to scout the prospects know a lot more about all those guys than he did.

But in general there is no need to start second hand rumors.

If no one else on this board has heard this adn no one "and 1's" my post, then maybe I was wrong. But it's what I heard. Definitely a bit of "telephone game" though.
Moochthemonkey
Sixth Man
And1: 1,579

Post#224 » by Moochthemonkey » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:37 am

NTB wrote:
Read on Twitter

Shaq isn't a 2-way player. Danuel House and Alec Peters are. I'm guessing House is gone and Peters GOAT performance at the end of the season has earned him another year.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#225 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:39 am

SuperSunsFan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I haven't been following the league very closely in the last few years why was there big drop off with Favors' production 2 years ago? just from looking at his stats he went from averaging 16+ points to like 8 Points 2 years ago, what happened, why do people think spending big dollar on a guy who has been declining is worth it?

He was really injured all year...I can't remember it but it really impacted him...and I was down on him coming into the year....I remember thinking maybe he was near done and was contemplating taking a flyer on him in fantasy. I didn't, but then he ended up bouncing back much better than I thought and improved his range and played next to Gobert a lot. But he could easily play 5 when Ayton sat or next to him if we were playing a bigger team.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#226 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:41 am

LukasBMW wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
LukasBMW wrote:
So about that...

I'm NOT an insider but I did hear that:

-Kokoskov wanted Doncic over Ayton
-Kokoskov isn't a huge fan of Booker (He thinks Booker doesn't play defense, takes bad shots, and has inflated stats).

If these are both true...I'm not sure we hired the right guy BECAUSE:

-Ayton is a stud, game changer, and generational talent
-Booker is a star

If there is any clash between Booker/Ayton and coach...then this coach needs to go.

Where the hell did you hear that? But anyway, Booker doesn't play defense and he does take bad shots, but Igor should help him in those areas.

Even if he wanted Doncic over Ayton you always have different people in front offices wanting things, and a lot of the fans wanted Doncic too. And of course he knows him.
'
But he also said in interviews that he hasn't seen all the guys and scouted them and the draft pick isn't up to him because the people who's job it is to scout the prospects know a lot more about all those guys than he did.

But in general there is no need to start second hand rumors.

If no one else on this board has heard this adn no one "and 1's" my post, then maybe I was wrong. But it's what I heard. Definitely a bit of "telephone game" though.

From everything I've seen regarding Koko and every interview I've seen he doesn't seem like a guy to talk negatively about someone. He will take what's best and work with him on weaknesses but he seems like the last type of guy to say he doesn't like one of his own players he just took over coach with to someone. It sounds like a major stretch.
TOO
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,310

Post#227 » by TOO » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:44 am

Seems like a load of ****. No way Kokoskov just goes around bad mouthing the players he was just hired to coach.
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#228 » by phx#7 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:06 am

TOO wrote:Seems like a load of ****. No way Kokoskov just goes around bad mouthing the players he was just hired to coach.

An no way he takes the job in the first place if that's how he felt about Booker and Ayton.
Moochthemonkey
Sixth Man

Post#229 » by Moochthemonkey » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:11 am

phx#7 wrote:
TOO wrote:Seems like a load of ****. No way Kokoskov just goes around bad mouthing the players he was just hired to coach.

An no way he takes the job in the first place if that's how he felt about Booker and Ayton.

maybe LukasBMW is an internet detective and found Igor's burner accounts or something
SuperSunsFan
Sixth Man

Post#230 » by SuperSunsFan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:16 am

Moochthemonkey wrote:
phx#7 wrote:

maybe LukasBMW is an internet detective and found Igor's burner accounts or something

maybe LukasBMW is Professor Xavier who can read mind through an image of a person.
Moochthemonkey
Sixth Man

Post#231 » by Moochthemonkey » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:21 am

SuperSunsFan wrote:
Moochthemonkey wrote:
phx#7 wrote:

maybe LukasBMW is Professor Xavier who can read mind through an image of a person.

nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#232 » by nevetsov » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:30 am

Had a quick look at the PF spot, the good ones will cost too much, and the middling ones either don't fit or have glaring holes in their game.

One that intrigued me was Serge Ibaka - certainly known for three and D, which is what we are allegedly chasing.

- Highly obtainable due to a ghastly individual playoff run
- Plays for a team looking to retool/ rebuild
- two years remaining ($20m per)
- playoff experience

He'd probably come much cheaper than a guy like Milsap, would he be worth the risk if the price was say, and expiring Dudley (bought out by Toronto, returns to PHX as a member of staff) and the MIL pick or Chriss?

Toronto gets a young player and cap relief, PHX gets a veteran 3&D who while expensive expires when Bender is due for an extension.

Knight | FA
Booker | Bridges
Jackson | Warren
Ibaka | Bender
Ayton | Williams
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#233 » by 8on » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:38 am

I should start a thread detailing my defense of McD, if I can. Basically, I don’t think it matters what we did in the past. The collection of players we have right now is dope. Does it matter how we got there? We should be very happy with McD. If you have any doubts, look at the roster.
PhxLax
Junior
And1: 295

Post#234 » by PhxLax » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:38 am

PhxLax
Junior

Post#235 » by PhxLax » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:41 am

nevetsov wrote:Had a quick look at the PF spot, the good ones will cost too much, and the middling ones either don't fit or have glaring holes in their game.

One that intrigued me was Serge Ibaka - certainly known for three and D, which is what we are allegedly chasing.

- playoff experience

He'd probably come much cheaper than a guy like Milsap, would he be worth the risk if the price was say, and expiring Dudley (bought out by Toronto, returns to PHX as a member of staff) and the MIL pick or Chriss?

Toronto gets a young player and cap relief, PHX gets a veteran 3&D who while expensive expires when Bender is due for an extension.

Knight | FA
Booker | Bridges
Jackson | Warren
Ibaka | Bender
Ayton | Williams

Don't think Phx management would ever want Ibaka. He's a shell of what he used to be with a large contract. Chriss is basically Ibaka w/ lesser price-tag. Ibaka made a name for himself back in the Durant/Thunder days. Watch him play these days - esp this season and esp these playoffs - he doesn't even wanna be on the court. As if he hates to play basketball all of sudden.

For PF -- just go hard for A Gordon or J Parker.
Moochthemonkey
Sixth Man

Post#236 » by Moochthemonkey » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:47 am

I wouldn't even want George Hill for $40/2 in free agency.
SuperSunsFan
Sixth Man

Post#237 » by SuperSunsFan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:55 am

I don't understand why people are so down on Marquese, he began to pick up the pace and played very well toward the end of last season.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Re: RE: Re: Trade and free agency speculation 

Post#238 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:13 am

Moochthemonkey wrote:

I wouldn't even want George Hill for $40/2 in free agency.
The last year of hill is a team option so he's basically an expiring.

I wouldn't do that deal but I would offer Cleveland knight, Williams non-gauranteed deal and a minor asset like a 2nd or Reed for Hill. It saves Cleveland on the lux tax if they cut Williams and I don't think knights extra year matters to them because they won't be under the cap next summer anyway. Hell they might even view knight as a stop gap at pg as sexton gets ready.

Suns clear a year of knight and while hill is washed up he could be an ok stop gap vet for a year.

Then sign a 1 year vet pf even if you have to over pay like the. The suns could both try to win some games this year then go into next summer with cap space and a desirable destination. Hope you can get some star who sees themselves as that missing piece.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
PhxLax
Junior

Post#239 » by PhxLax » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:13 am

BobbieL wrote:
AZWildByNature wrote:Not Sure, how McD gets to that Cap Space.
http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=9147641275b2d8a035bd69215813696
Moves:
1. Re-signed DeAndre Ayton to 4yrs/$ 40,034,730 contract starting in 2018-19 using Rookie Scale Exception
2. Re-signed Mikal Bridges to 4yrs/$ 17,480,056 contract starting in 2018-19 using Rookie Scale Exception
3. Renounced $ 7,956,438 2018-19 cap hold for Alex Len
4. Renounced $ 1,351,118 2018-19 cap hold for Alec Peters
5. Waived Tyler Ulis in 2018-19 with $ 0 remaining over 0 year(s)
6. Waived Shaquille Harrison in 2018-19 with $ 0 remaining over 0 year(s)
7. Waived Alan Williams in 2018-19 with $ 1,000,000 remaining over 1 year(s)
8. Waived Davon Reed in 2018-19 with $ 689,121 remaining over 1 year(s)
9. Renounced $ 9,997,020 2018-19 cap hold for Elfrid Payton

At $ 16,883,413 with the above listed moves.

Well technically he is right - 16.8 is between 15 and 20 but I think reed is kept advanced already guaranteed and probably Shaq. Ulis and Williams decisions are the next week to two weeks so different time lines

Sounds right. Len Sauce Payton Shaq Peters all gone. Reed stays – makes least money, hustles. Shaq is redundant after return of Knight, expected free agent PG, and now Okobo. You can always sign him or any other 4th-string PG during season if u need as was the case last season w/ the PG carousel.

Chandler, logic says, he stays. He likes it here and why get rid of an amazing player coach to teach Ayton and be a solid backup center?

Deductive reasoning thus tells us the odd men out will be Dudley’s contract and the promising assets in Warren and Bender who can net u solid players back. Assuming this analysis is correct, we can expect a depth chart looking like this entering free agency period:

G mystery knight okobo
G booker daniels reed
F jackson bridges filler
F mystery chriss filler
C ayton chandler filler

mystery PG = rondo? kemba? schroder? george hill? CP3? who knows... :lol:
mystery PF = favors? jabari? a. gordon? kevin love trade?

fillers = prob guys like george king, danuel house, return of peters, mcgee?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Re: RE: Re: Trade and free agency speculation 

Post#240 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:17 am

nevetsov wrote:Had a quick look at the PF spot, the good ones will cost too much, and the middling ones either don't fit or have glaring holes in their game.

- playoff experience

Knight | FA
Booker | Bridges
Jackson | Warren
Ibaka | Bender
Ayton | Williams
Ibaka looks washed up, the rumors of him being older than listed are probably true.

Now if the suns did want him I'm sure the raps would gladly give him away for expirings.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Phoenix Suns