ImageImageImage

Trade and free agency speculation

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,354

Re: Trade and free agency speculation 

Post#261 » by AtheJ415 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:25 am

nevetsov wrote:Had a quick look at the PF spot, the good ones will cost too much, and the middling ones either don't fit or have glaring holes in their game.

One that intrigued me was Serge Ibaka - certainly known for three and D, which is what we are allegedly chasing.

- Highly obtainable due to a ghastly individual playoff run
- Plays for a team looking to retool/ rebuild
- two years remaining ($20m per)
- playoff experience

He'd probably come much cheaper than a guy like Milsap, would he be worth the risk if the price was say, and expiring Dudley (bought out by Toronto, returns to PHX as a member of staff) and the MIL pick or Chriss?

Toronto gets a young player and cap relief, PHX gets a veteran 3&D who while expensive expires when Bender is due for an extension.

Knight | FA
Booker | Bridges
Jackson | Warren
Ibaka | Bender
Ayton | Williams

Ibaka has been awful. No way would I trade either Chriss or the MIL pick for him. That would be a disaster.
SideSwipe
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#262 » by SideSwipe » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:28 am

AtheJ415 wrote:
LukasBMW wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:McD's best move of the summer was hiring Kokoskov

So about that...

I'm NOT an insider but I did hear that:

-Kokoskov wanted Doncic over Ayton
-Kokoskov isn't a huge fan of Booker (He thinks Booker doesn't play defense, takes bad shots, and has inflated stats).

If these are both true...I'm not sure we hired the right guy BECAUSE:

-Ayton is a stud, game changer, and generational talent
-Booker is a star

If there is any clash between Booker/Ayton and coach...then this coach needs to go.

If either of those were true I don't think he would take the job. Like really, if you are a potential head coach who is an elite assistant and know you are likely to get a chance in a couple of years, why would you walk to this suns team BEFORE the lottery if you think Booker is NOT a star? is Josh Jackson THAT well thought of? Was it just because he thought we'd get Luka, because if so I think he would have made some sort of agreement that he must be taken if we have the opportunity, but really I think a coach in that scenario would simply not risk it and wait for a better situation. So yeah, not buying any of that.

This sounds like a load of bull. Not sure where this so called info is from, but if he liked Doncic he certainly has no reason to talk about D. Also that is not the coach you hire. They hired Koko knowing they were likely to have a top or the top pick in the draft. He knew the personnel. There's no way he talks like that and still gets hired. That said Booker doesn't play great D and sometimes takes bad shots, but that does not mean he "isn't a fan" of the best player on the squad. If it's not insider info then please source the info because this is a silly thing to put out there.
AtheJ415
Head Coach

Post#263 » by AtheJ415 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:28 am

PhxLax wrote:
SuperSunsFan wrote:I don't understand why people are so down on Marquese, he began to pick up the pace and played very well toward the end of last season.

exactly. Bender needs to go. Chriss/Chandler as the bigs off the bench = gold.

Why do either need to go? They make no money and we have the luxury of waiting on them to do well. My god, we took the 2 biggest projects in the draft and people want to throw the towel in at age 20-21?

I would get it if they were eating up tons of cap space or something or if we were vying for a title, but this is crazy. They can both play the 4 and 5 and we have plenty of space for both of them at the 4 and 5. Do people not realize we need backups at both spots?
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#264 » by 8on » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:33 am

We should hold onto Bender and Chriss unless we use them as an opportunity to grease the wheels.

If I had to trade them for one of the following:
1) space for a max free agent that wanted to come here
2) a very valuable young player
3) a very good pick

I could do it. They’re assets now. They’re not essential to our plans, but we keep them as long as they are useful.
AtheJ415
Head Coach

Post#265 » by AtheJ415 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:33 am

BobbieL wrote:Regarding PF - I like the idea of Favors

I think if you look at Randle, Gordon Parker and Favors - probably the cheapest. Would work next to Ayton I think pretty solid. Would be a solid bridge for Chriss and Bender - meaning they have to earn playing time.

As for point guard, not sure - but maybe bring Payton back. I am just assuming these moves that Daniels, Dudley Chandler and Warren are back. Granted who knows - maybe one of the three with larger salaries is part of a trade.

The only way they get Favors and say a decent salaried PG is to move Warren, Dudley, Chandler in sign and trade or normal trade.

Can always sign Favors and trade for a guy like Lowry - might blow up the cap a bit next year but might work for a short term play

I like that Favors can play some 5, but I'm not as confident in his ability to shoot the 3 though I know he is working on it. I also question how mobile he is given the makeup of the rest of the roster. I think in a vacuum looking at skills in a vacuum Gordon makes the most sense since he flashed 3 point shooting (not consistent yet but getting there), and he has the profile to be a great defender though I know his numbers in Orlando weren't good on that end. Orlando also just drafted Bamba and have Isaac so Gordon probably can be had. Not excited about the pricetag, but Jabari is a hopeless defender who has an injury problem and seems to expect a max hilariously.

I would wait an offseason if Book will put off the extension, but if we're moving now imo the obvious moves would be to go for Gordon, who unlike Favors is a bit more proven from 3 and can handle the ball on the break, meaning we can really push tempo which is what we ought to be trying to do given the athleticism on the team overall right now.

Second move is trading for a PG, but it means to do both you need to get a team to take on Tyson or Dudley as expirings, which sadly might mean dealing the Mil pick.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#266 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:36 am

AtheJ415 wrote:
PhxLax wrote:
SuperSunsFan wrote:I don't understand why people are so down on Marquese, he began to pick up the pace and played very well toward the end of last season.

Why do either need to go? They make no money and we have the luxury of waiting on them to do well. My god, we took the 2 biggest projects in the draft and people want to throw the towel in at age 20-21?

I would get it if they were eating up tons of cap space or something or if we were vying for a title, but this is crazy. They can both play the 4 and 5 and we have plenty of space for both of them at the 4 and 5. Do people not realize we need backups at both spots?

I think we have to choose. It's not about giving up, its just that they use up one another's space, time, air, on the court. Maybe they both will develop, but I don't think they will on the same team. I prefer Bender, but if coach and mgmt think they want to keep Chriss, fine with me. But right now the nest is too crowded.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,365

Post#267 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:39 am

jcsunsfan wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:
PhxLax wrote:

I think we have to choose. It's not about giving up, its just that they use up one another's space, time, air, on the court. Maybe they both will develop, but I don't think they will on the same team. I prefer Bender, but if coach and mgmt think they want to keep Chriss, fine with me. But right now the nest is too crowded.

No it's not...I don't think you should give up on players at that age. They likely have very limited trade value so giving up could mean you watch them develop for another team...we endured a bad season to get the 4th pick for Bender and gave up three first rounders for Chriss so I wouldn't give up on anyone yet.
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#268 » by 8on » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:41 am

Anyone want to guess how many players have played for us over the last five seasons on average?

Try not to Google it. Would love to see genuine guesses.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,365

Post#269 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:51 am

dantley4prez wrote:Anyone want to guess how many players have played for us over the last five seasons on average?

Average each season? Probably over 20 with all of our trades and injuries, G league try outs, etc.....I don't know..21? Maybe a bit more.
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,793

Post#270 » by jredsaz » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:03 am

Don't like the Favors idea very much. I get he knows Igor and he fills a position of need but I would much rather throw a large one year deal at Luc or even Ersan. Get a vet who can stretch the floor and compete with our youth for minutes. Dudley's conditioning cost Bender and Chriss some needed comp/development.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,793

Re: RE: Re: Trade and free agency speculation 

Post#271 » by jredsaz » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:10 am

dantley4prez wrote:Anyone want to guess how many players have played for us over the last five seasons on average?

I'm going to say 19!

AtheJ415
Head Coach

Post#272 » by AtheJ415 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:14 am

Mbah a Moute makes some sense but at 31 I wouldn't want more than a 2 year deal. The problem is if we want to shore up both PG and PF that leaves not much for each.
AtheJ415
Head Coach

Post#273 » by AtheJ415 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:18 am

I think if we are going to use our cap space this offseason (again, not my preference), of the FAs available right now I would go for Exum and Gordon. Both are RFA, and we probably have the cap space to get 1 and not both. Exum guarded Harden well in the playoffs and has the physical makings of a great defender, with the size that we want next to Book. To get both thus we would need to trade Dudley or Chandler. That is the type of FA I would prefer since they are young vets with upside. I could live with Randle but would prefer Gordon. Really don't want to give Parker a big deal.
AtheJ415
Head Coach

Post#274 » by AtheJ415 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:19 am

jredsaz wrote:Don't like the Favors idea very much. I get he knows Igor and he fills a position of need but I would much rather throw a large one year deal at Luc or even Ersan. Get a vet who can stretch the floor and compete with our youth for minutes. Dudley's conditioning cost Bender and Chriss some needed comp/development.

Ersan could be solid on a cheap 1 year deal. He knows his role and would probably be a good locker room guy. Mbah a Moute is obviously the better option but he is probably going to get a big raise after his season with Houston.
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#275 » by gaspar » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:26 am

Read on Twitter
Read on Twitter
AtheJ415
Head Coach

Post#276 » by AtheJ415 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:31 am

gaspar wrote:
Read on Twitter
Read on Twitter

Sounds like Charlotte is going to max Kemba lol. Let's just trade for D'Angelo or sign Exum. No Marcus Smart please.
Mjee
Starter
And1: 2,160

Post#277 » by Mjee » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:31 am

gaspar wrote:
Read on Twitter
Read on Twitter

No Kemba then....
Mike Conley’s price is probably too high ...
Dame Lillard is a pipe dream..
I wonder about Lowry from Toronto !??
John Wall will be wishful thinking and tough contract

Dragic or Marcus Smart it probably will be
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Re: RE: Re: Trade and free agency speculation 

Post#278 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:32 am

AtheJ415 wrote:
jredsaz wrote:Don't like the Favors idea very much. I get he knows Igor and he fills a position of need but I would much rather throw a large one year deal at Luc or even Ersan. Get a vet who can stretch the floor and compete with our youth for minutes. Dudley's conditioning cost Bender and Chriss some needed comp/development.

Ersan could be solid on a cheap 1 year deal. He knows his role and would probably be a good locker room guy. Mbah a Moute is obviously the better option but he is probably going to get a big raise after his season with Houston.
I wouldn't hate a one year ersan deal but if Dudley gets in shape he could give them about the same production.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Blackification
Head Coach
And1: 2,229

Post#279 » by Blackification » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:35 am

Any thoughts on Thad Young being the stretch 4 target? Afraid McD might go after jabari
TOO
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,310

Post#280 » by TOO » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:52 am

Mjeezy2006 wrote:
gaspar wrote:
Read on Twitter
Read on Twitter

No Kemba then....
Mike Conley’s price is probably too high ...
Dame Lillard is a pipe dream..
I wonder about Lowry from Toronto !??
John Wall will be wishful thinking and tough contract

Dragic or Marcus Smart it probably will be

Tough contract? Worst in the NBA IMO. Dude is a loser getting 40m per, no thanks

Return to Phoenix Suns