ImageImageImage

WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22, batsmasher, Kerrsed

ImNotMcDiSwear
Head Coach
Posts: 6,247
And1: 3,894
Joined: Dec 14, 2013
 

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1541 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Wed Aug 7, 2019 9:54 pm

Maze wrote:I guess there are combine numbers and actual in game ability.I was shocked to find out that Ayton's vertical leap is 43.5 inches & Amare Stoudemire's was only 32 inches.I would've guessed Amare was by far a better leaper.Guess it's all in the mind.Amare played like a 12 ft man trapped in a 6'10 body.Ayton plays like a 6'2 man trapped in a 7'1 body.For a 7'1 guy with a 43.5 inch vertical, he hardly posterized anybody this year.Maybe once or twice? I haven't seen this so called "monster athleticism" transfer to the court.He's more nimble/finesse.Not trying to knock it.I still think he could maybe unlock it.I'm just amazed to see a big man with those type of measurables play below the rim like he does.That being said, this was one of my favorite games from him last season



I wanted him to take 25-30 shots, but of course, they stopped feeding him.I really believe he could've averaged 20 ppg last year if the Suns had a legit pg


Though Ayton will never have Amare's quickness, I think he'd finish a lot more dunks if he was stronger. I thought he was hesitant to go up too high because he was afraid of getting pushed and falling awkwardly. He needs to get stronger in order to embrace contact as he goes up to the rim. Hoping to see some progress on that front as we gear up for camp.
User avatar
MathiasPW
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,275
And1: 2,471
Joined: Jan 02, 2010
Location: Brazil
   

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1542 » by MathiasPW » Fri Aug 9, 2019 1:29 pm

bhawk wrote:Some nice Ayton stuff in this article...

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/08/06/wendell-carter-second-year-breakout/

"Carter is not Ayton as an interior finisher, nor should he be utilized that way. Ayton has an elite size + touch combination where he can basically explode over the top of even bohometh centers with both consistency and efficient ease via mostly his right jump hook."

"Rookie rim protection stats. Ayton was over 70% on a legitimate sample earlier this year, so he's improved here. Jaren in elite company thus far. Wendell near rookie year Noel."


BOHOMETH CENTERS!!
Image
jcsunsfan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,936
And1: 4,210
Joined: Dec 20, 2006
     

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1543 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Aug 9, 2019 1:57 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Maze wrote:I guess there are combine numbers and actual in game ability.I was shocked to find out that Ayton's vertical leap is 43.5 inches & Amare Stoudemire's was only 32 inches.I would've guessed Amare was by far a better leaper.Guess it's all in the mind.Amare played like a 12 ft man trapped in a 6'10 body.Ayton plays like a 6'2 man trapped in a 7'1 body.For a 7'1 guy with a 43.5 inch vertical, he hardly posterized anybody this year.Maybe once or twice? I haven't seen this so called "monster athleticism" transfer to the court.He's more nimble/finesse.Not trying to knock it.I still think he could maybe unlock it.I'm just amazed to see a big man with those type of measurables play below the rim like he does.That being said, this was one of my favorite games from him last season



I wanted him to take 25-30 shots, but of course, they stopped feeding him.I really believe he could've averaged 20 ppg last year if the Suns had a legit pg


Though Ayton will never have Amare's quickness, I think he'd finish a lot more dunks if he was stronger. I thought he was hesitant to go up too high because he was afraid of getting pushed and falling awkwardly. He needs to get stronger in order to embrace contact as he goes up to the rim. Hoping to see some progress on that front as we gear up for camp.

Um. Have you actually looked at Ayton. The guy is a beast. He does not need to get stronger. He is already very strong. He has to play stronger. And that will happen when he actually has a point guard.
Saberestar
RealGM
Posts: 10,659
And1: 6,565
Joined: May 21, 2010

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1544 » by Saberestar » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:48 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM
Posts: 10,659
And1: 6,565
Joined: May 21, 2010

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1545 » by Saberestar » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 14,514
And1: 7,168
Joined: Jul 10, 2009
Contact:
     

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1546 » by Qwigglez » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:38 pm

I know it’s just a scrimmage game but I would love to see Ayton just drop his foot and dunk on someone instead of spinning away from the basket and going for the finesse shot. He has a lot of elegance to his game and that’s great, but mix it up a bit and use some of that athleticism.
User avatar
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
Posts: 4,658
And1: 3,966
Joined: Jan 10, 2010
   

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1547 » by MrMiyagi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:13 pm

Qwigglez wrote:I know it’s just a scrimmage game but I would love to see Ayton just drop his foot and dunk on someone instead of spinning away from the basket and going for the finesse shot. He has a lot of elegance to his game and that’s great, but mix it up a bit and use some of that athleticism.

It feels like a lot of fans have this weird obsession with Ayton dunking on people - fans probably over-estimate the "psychological" impact it has on the opponent (most NBA players have been dunked on before, it really isn't that demoralizing, especially when the dude is bigger than you already). I honestly would not care if there is never a Deandre Ayton poster dunk on somebody. It seems like the turn away J is going to be his signature move just based on how consistently he goes to it and how comfortable he seems to do it. As long as he continues to work on it and makes it a dominant go-to, that's alright by me.
:-?
Image
Props to Kerrsed
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 57,304
And1: 31,566
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1548 » by bwgood77 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:20 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:I know it’s just a scrimmage game but I would love to see Ayton just drop his foot and dunk on someone instead of spinning away from the basket and going for the finesse shot. He has a lot of elegance to his game and that’s great, but mix it up a bit and use some of that athleticism.

It feels like a lot of fans have this weird obsession with Ayton dunking on people - fans probably over-estimate the "psychological" impact it has on the opponent (most NBA players have been dunked on before, it really isn't that demoralizing, especially when the dude is bigger than you already). I honestly would not care if there is never a Deandre Ayton poster dunk on somebody. It seems like the turn away J is going to be his signature move just based on how consistently he goes to it and how comfortable he seems to do it. As long as he continues to work on it and makes it a dominant go-to, that's alright by me.


I somewhat agree, as long as it's not because he's shying away from contact and has no problem playing physical. Amare would just slam it down over anyone which is near 100% effective, but the best part is that it showed he was fearless and didn't back down from anyone. Like when Kawhi dunked on Giannis in the finals that was a great demonstration of having no fear and those types of plays can really fire your team up as well.
User avatar
suns12345
Senior
Posts: 725
And1: 256
Joined: Jul 28, 2008

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1549 » by suns12345 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:05 am

bwgood77 wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:I know it’s just a scrimmage game but I would love to see Ayton just drop his foot and dunk on someone instead of spinning away from the basket and going for the finesse shot. He has a lot of elegance to his game and that’s great, but mix it up a bit and use some of that athleticism.

It feels like a lot of fans have this weird obsession with Ayton dunking on people - fans probably over-estimate the "psychological" impact it has on the opponent (most NBA players have been dunked on before, it really isn't that demoralizing, especially when the dude is bigger than you already). I honestly would not care if there is never a Deandre Ayton poster dunk on somebody. It seems like the turn away J is going to be his signature move just based on how consistently he goes to it and how comfortable he seems to do it. As long as he continues to work on it and makes it a dominant go-to, that's alright by me.


I somewhat agree, as long as it's not because he's shying away from contact and has no problem playing physical. Amare would just slam it down over anyone which is near 100% effective, but the best part is that it showed he was fearless and didn't back down from anyone. Like when Kawhi dunked on Giannis in the finals that was a great demonstration of having no fear and those types of plays can really fire your team up as well.


I dont even think its about the mental intimidation. But if he can get a dunk vs a fadeaway (not always possible) it will be a higher percentage shot.
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 21,964
And1: 10,004
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1550 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:06 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:I know it’s just a scrimmage game but I would love to see Ayton just drop his foot and dunk on someone instead of spinning away from the basket and going for the finesse shot. He has a lot of elegance to his game and that’s great, but mix it up a bit and use some of that athleticism.

It feels like a lot of fans have this weird obsession with Ayton dunking on people - fans probably over-estimate the "psychological" impact it has on the opponent (most NBA players have been dunked on before, it really isn't that demoralizing, especially when the dude is bigger than you already). I honestly would not care if there is never a Deandre Ayton poster dunk on somebody. It seems like the turn away J is going to be his signature move just based on how consistently he goes to it and how comfortable he seems to do it. As long as he continues to work on it and makes it a dominant go-to, that's alright by me.

It's also a lot easier to draw fouls when you're aggressive and looking for contact rather than shying away from the defense for a finesse, turnaround J. It's not *just* about the psychological impact of dunking it that makes it effective, it's also the deliberate act of getting into the body and jamming it into the hoop that puts you in a position to draw fouls. That's way more effective and useful from a team perspective than just the psychological impact.
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
User avatar
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 14,514
And1: 7,168
Joined: Jul 10, 2009
Contact:
     

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1551 » by Qwigglez » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:31 am

It’s not even about intimidating the opponents. It’s motivation and hype for your own team. And like others mentioned showing no fear. Would just like to see him show how dominant he can be.
darmani
Senior
Posts: 628
And1: 641
Joined: Dec 20, 2018
 

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1552 » by darmani » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:55 am

"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 57,304
And1: 31,566
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1553 » by bwgood77 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:05 pm

That fadeway is impossible to guard, and it's a great skill to already have. Looks a little Dirk-like.
User avatar
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 14,514
And1: 7,168
Joined: Jul 10, 2009
Contact:
     

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1554 » by Qwigglez » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:17 pm

LaMarcus Aldridge like to me.
User avatar
MathiasPW
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,275
And1: 2,471
Joined: Jan 02, 2010
Location: Brazil
   

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1555 » by MathiasPW » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:17 pm

If he can pump-fake some of these fadeaways so he gets the opposing big jumping and then get the and1 it would increase the value of the shot relatively to the aggressive dunking everyone wishes he adds.
Image
GoodBehavior
Sophomore
Posts: 147
And1: 73
Joined: Dec 03, 2018

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1556 » by GoodBehavior » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:28 pm

Qwigglez wrote:LaMarcus Aldridge like to me.


I like the comparison.

Ayton looks to be (or will be) a stronger, bigger, more athletic LMA, that happens to be more skilled. Ayton has elite rim rolling ability, which LMA lacks. Anthony Davis does a lot of his damage on those rolls. Ayton is not as good as AD in that department (AD has a bigger catch radius) but Ayton should probably be the second best roller in the league behind AD (my eye test). LMA does have that unstoppable right shoulder fadeaway, but Ayton has a more versatile post-up arsenal (right shoulder fadeaway, left shoulder fadeway, right hook, spin left or right, etc).

Ayton should be a perennial 24pt & 12 reb guy. At worse, he should be average on D (~LMA, Drummond). He does that and he's probably in the hall of fame.
Crives
Analyst
Posts: 3,487
And1: 2,108
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
 

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1557 » by Crives » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:41 pm

Ayton mid range will become a nightmare if he combines this with aggressive drives to the hoop.
In2ition
Junior
Posts: 490
And1: 206
Joined: Jan 24, 2014

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1558 » by In2ition » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:45 pm

Crives wrote:Ayton mid range will become a nightmare if he combines this with aggressive drives to the hoop.


This is the BIGGEST thing for me to see this year. I need to see him take people off the dribble and get to the line. If he doesn't show this, I will be skeptical of his ceiling.

Return to Phoenix Suns