ImageImageImage

Deandre Ayton news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,690

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1741 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:25 pm

m1chal wrote:Soon we're going to have to throw in an unprotected FRP to get rid of this bum. SMH.

Yes, eventually. See andrew wiggins or john wall. Then you will have to build a team to surround him. And I dont know how winnable that team can be.

P.S. im a sixers fan and im not saying this because i have a motive to trade for him.

Jerry west has this saying.. “get out before anyone finds out”
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,406

Post#1742 » by sunskerr » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:54 pm

76ciology wrote:
m1chal wrote:Soon we're going to have to throw in an unprotected FRP to get rid of this bum. SMH.

Yes, eventually. See andrew wiggins or john wall. Then you will have to build a team to surround him. And I dont know how winnable that team can be.

P.S. im a sixers fan and im not saying this because i have a motive to trade for him.

Jerry west has this saying.. “get out before anyone finds out”

More or less. I've been mulling over the past week or two that if a star is available, we should not think twice about making Ayton available. Such a trade should be done before the rest of the league realizes what kind of player he is.

I like that quote from Jerry West you provided because it's exactly how I've been feeling, with regards to "before anyone finds out". If I can brag for a second, I feel like I was one of the first people being very vocal about his offensive game, or lack thereof completely, and how that is really concerning regarding his development - I'm not sure he'll ever take the leap to star status because of it. He has to acquire every single skill, even the very basic ones like one dribble and finish. And then there's the advanced skills like eurosteps and drive and dishes that players like Davis and Towns can do...it's just so much work to be done which is why I'm worried.

Like if there was a star available to compliment Booker and Oubre on the wing, we could package Ayton and just sign a center to rim run and rebound. That or we should build our team in mind that Ayton is going to be like Clint Capela. Don't build the team in mind with Ayton being an offensive focal point (which I think we already did, unfortunately).

As a note to other Suns fans here: I know we should always support our players and hope for the best, and I do, but I think it's worth discussing scenarios like this where things don't go perfectly or don't go to plan.
handsome salary
Rookie
And1: 1,127

Post#1743 » by handsome salary » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:29 pm

sunskerr wrote:I'm not sure he'll ever take the leap to star status because of it. He has to acquire every single skill, even the very basic ones like one dribble and finish. And then there's the advanced skills like eurosteps and drive and dishes that players like Davis and Towns can do...it's just so much work to be done which is why I'm worried.

I gotta agree which is very very sad at the moment and maybe holds out hope for the future.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,548

Post#1744 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:41 pm

76ciology wrote:Look around the league and see how much talent is it out there. Also how much incoming talent.

That said, I think Suns should consider cutting their loss with Ayton and trade him while his value is still relatively high.

Why would you trade a guy that early in his 2nd year? At this point Embiid hadn't even played yet, and I think it would have been a mistake to trade him. I didn't want them to take Ayton at 1, and some of the things I worried about with him as an AZ fan (mostly all defense related) continued to be a problem last year, but this year he has made big improvements in the areas I was most concerned about. Given how much he improved over that offseason and has only played 10 games this year, not even 82 as a pro, I think he will still improve quite a bit.

Of course if there was a nice trade offer for any player I'd consider it, but I certainly wouldn't look to be trading him. He's our best player drafted since Booker, not that that's saying much.

I'm not sure if you watch him or are just jumping to conclusions based on false narratives from people who are very unlikely to having watched the Suns. He has always been a bit more finesse on offense and was lost on D. He is much improved on D, whether it be shown here https://on.nba.com/2R7sR6d

or just described a bit here, in a recent article by Gina Mizell

Deandre Ayton:

What we wrote then: “Too many times last season, cutters got free behind Ayton and underneath the basket for easy layups. Ballhandlers blew past their man, and then eluded Ayton as the last line of defense. That requires improved awareness from Ayton — but also requires help from his teammates on the ball and inside.”

Due to Ayton’s 25-game suspension (and subsequent sprained ankle), the sample size to evaluate his defensive improvement is small.

Williams has praised Ayton’s ability to “distract” shots. He is averaging 1.6 blocks per game during a small 10-game sample size, a significant increase from last season’s 0.9 average. His individual defensive rating of 104.4 points allowed per 100 possessions is tied with Mikal Bridges for second on the team entering Thursday. He has again shown an ability to use his footwork and athleticism to guard perimeter players.

I know many seem to be more focused on his offense, but this team needs guys who impact our defensive rating, like Bridges and Ayton have, and that is of MUCH more importance to me.

His offensive moves will improve, much like Booker's have, and most players do in the league, but defense, especially for a big in today's game, is of much much more important.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,236

Post#1745 » by Frank Lee » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:35 pm

Take away his vaulted #1 status and he's a good better than average pick. Muzzle him from his self inflated speeches and hes much more likable. But it still remains, most of his positive attributes are those of conjecture. Yay so he's improved... what decent rook hasnt? Perhaps he is more suited to be called DeAndre 'IF'ton.

Too bad you cant teach Mean, or summon aggression and effort with a wand. Time will tell with this Bahamanian Tin Man. But the yellow brick road is long and curvy. There has to be a point where you say, OK, this is what we have. 2 more years ? 5 ? In the mean time, just STFU and play hard wire to wire, coast to coast.
What ? Me Worry ?
handsome salary
Rookie
And1: 1,127

Post#1746 » by handsome salary » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:46 pm

A more positive view on where Ayton is at now and where he could get to. I thought it was a very interesting read-
https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2020/1/16/21066746/evaluating-deandre-ayton-10-games-into-sophomore-season
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1747 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:23 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Take away his vaulted #1 status and he's a good better than average pick. Muzzle him from his self inflated speeches and hes much more likable. But it still remains, most of his positive attributes are those of conjecture. Yay so he's improved... what decent rook hasnt? Perhaps he is more suited to be called DeAndre 'IF'ton.

Too bad you cant teach Mean, or summon aggression and effort with a wand. Time will tell with this Bahamanian Tin Man. But the yellow brick road is long and curvy. There has to be a point where you say, OK, this is what we have. 2 more years ? 5 ? In the mean time, just STFU and play hard wire to wire, coast to coast.

We knew he wasn't mean or have that type of personality, so to be mad about it now is odd. He has always been a bit more finesse on offense and was lost on D. He is much improved on D, whether it be shown here https://on.nba.com/2R7sR6d

Deandre Ayton:

What we wrote then: “Too many times last season, cutters got free behind Ayton and underneath the basket for easy layups. Ballhandlers blew past their man, and then eluded Ayton as the last line of defense. That requires improved awareness from Ayton — but also requires help from his teammates on the ball and inside.”

Due to Ayton’s 25-game suspension (and subsequent sprained ankle), the sample size to evaluate his defensive improvement is small.

Williams has praised Ayton’s ability to “distract” shots. He is averaging 1.6 blocks per game during a small 10-game sample size, a significant increase from last season’s 0.9 average. His individual defensive rating of 104.4 points allowed per 100 possessions is tied with Mikal Bridges for second on the team entering Thursday. He has again shown an ability to use his footwork and athleticism to guard perimeter players.

I know many seem to be more focused on his offense, but this team needs guys who impact our defensive rating, like Bridges and Ayton have, and that is of MUCH more importance to me.

His offensive moves will improve, much like Booker's have, and most players do in the league, but defense, especially for a big in today's game, is of much much more important.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,684

Post#1748 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:06 pm

Honestly, this trade Ayton talk is outta control.

I'm not an Ayton homer, I'd trade Ayton in a heartbeat if it got us a guy like KAT or Beal (although I would prefer to move Booker for him) but moving Ayton before his value drops is entirely unproductive. We didn't go through 5 years of mediocrity, bad picks, bad contracts, 5 coaching changes and becoming the joke of the league just to trade one of our few good assets for Derrick Jones Jr (who we signed undrafted).

It makes absolutely zero sense that we went through all that just to not see how Ayton develops and cash him in when all he's not bringing back anyone with any star potential.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1749 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:10 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:Honestly, this trade Ayton talk is outta control.

I'm not an Ayton homer, I'd trade Ayton in a heartbeat if it got us a guy like KAT or Beal (although I would prefer to move Booker for him) but moving Ayton before his value drops is entirely unproductive. We didn't go through 5 years of mediocrity, bad picks, bad contracts, 5 coaching changes and becoming the joke of the league just to trade one of our few good assets for Derrick Jones Jr (who we signed undrafted).

It makes absolutely zero sense that we went through all that just to not see how Ayton develops and cash him in when all he's not bringing back anyone with any star potential.

Not sure why Ayton's value would drop unless you think he is going to get worse. He has already improved by leaps and bounds on D, and is playing with a bunch of new offensive players and even then, lineup shuffles, and still putting up pretty good numbers.

With the suspension and his general rep, his trade value is probably lower now than it will be. Now if we give him a max, it would drop because of the dollar amount, but if we give him a max, it should be because we believe he deserves it. If we don't we can let him test the market and match whatever offer he gets.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,684

Post#1750 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:16 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Honestly, this trade Ayton talk is outta control.

Not sure why Ayton's value would drop unless you think he is going to get worse. He has already improved by leaps and bounds on D, and is playing with a bunch of new offensive players and even then, lineup shuffles, and still putting up pretty good numbers.

With the suspension and his general rep, his trade value is probably lower now than it will be. Now if we give him a max, it would drop because of the dollar amount, but if we give him a max, it should be because we believe he deserves it. If we don't we can let him test the market and match whatever offer he gets.

It wouldn't. You just don't trade a productive #1 pick who has all this potential just because he's not as good as Luka when Luka is better than like 99% of the league. I'm not a JJ believer or anything but I trust that if he still has the job by the time Ayton is up for an extension and being a former player himself, he will give the contract that Ayton deserves.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,236

Post#1751 » by Frank Lee » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:51 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Spoiler:
Frank Lee wrote:Take away his vaulted #1 status and he's a good better than average pick. Muzzle him from his self inflated speeches and hes much more likable. But it still remains, most of his positive attributes are those of conjecture. Yay so he's improved... what decent rook hasnt? Perhaps he is more suited to be called DeAndre 'IF'ton.

We knew he wasn't mean or have that type of personality, so to be mad about it now is odd. He has always been a bit more finesse on offense and was lost on D. He is much improved on D, whether it be shown here https://on.nba.com/2R7sR6d

Deandre Ayton:

Didn’t mean to and1 this post.... but fat fingers on a phone did it.

When you say ‘we didn’t know’ you assume others follow mildcat b-ball like you. And what’s odd about being upset we have semi heartless low motor immature kid who is prone to boast about what he wants to be, ignoring what he is. He’s made strides but no more than any other rook that didn’t know how to play basketball. It’s a process with him. We have no choice but to wait. Meanwhile, it’s spinning wheels to build around him (see saric and shank) as he’s a complimentary player.... till he’s not.
What ? Me Worry ?
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,090

Post#1752 » by SlovenianDragon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:19 am

SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,090

Post#1753 » by SlovenianDragon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:27 am

ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,483

Post#1754 » by ATTL » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:22 am

Ayton must have seen the trade proposals
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,690

Post#1755 » by 76ciology » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:28 am

Ok time to trade him hahaha
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#1756 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:18 am

Hey. I got an idea. Let’s trade him for Derrick Jones Jr. and picks. Cause that would make a lot of sense.

I have seen some bad trade ideas, but that one tops them all I think.
DroughtsOverPHX
Junior
And1: 359

Post#1757 » by DroughtsOverPHX » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:51 am

What a rollercoaster. One day he plays like his ceiling is Okafor and the next day he puts up Drummondesque numbers. Now we have to see what we have with this kid. Bring on the good teams.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,867

Post#1758 » by Saberestar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:14 pm

DroughtsOverPHX wrote:What a rollercoaster. One day he plays like his ceiling is Okafor and the next day he puts up Drummondesque numbers. Now we have to see what we have with this kid. Bring on the good teams.

We needed to see a game like that from him.

In this game against the Knicks he played with big energy and activity, and he made an impact since the first minute.

He altered a lot of shots and he finished everything around the rim. He created a few shots too...I mean, he played a complete game on both ends.

I am not that hype about the numbers, it is more about the impact in the game. He rotated well, he made winning plays everywhere.... he did not look tired or jogging around after a few minutes playing hard.

And his rebounding is gonna be always with him...every single night he is gonna rebound well the ball.

Obviously if he usually plays somewhat like that (not the numbers, but the high motor) we will be happy with him and we will not care about what other young players from his generation do in the league.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,920

Post#1759 » by Fo-Real » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:01 pm

This game should be HIS example to HIMSELF from now on. He was finally somewhat of a live body, pushing, pulling, boxing out. He was an active big man this game.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,164

Post#1760 » by spanishninja » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:30 pm

Fo-Real wrote:This game should be HIS example to HIMSELF from now on. He was finally somewhat of a live body, pushing, pulling, boxing out. He was an active big man this game.

yeah, control-c last night and control-v the rest of the season.

Return to Phoenix Suns