ImageImageImage

Deandre Ayton news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Re: Deandre Ayton news and highlights 

Post#1921 » by Damkac » Sun Jul 5, 2020 1:50 pm

Do you think Ayton would benefit from practice with Hakeem? And is Hakeen stil doing them?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,499

Post#1922 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Jul 6, 2020 3:34 am

Read on Twitter
?s=09
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#1923 » by cberry78 » Mon Jul 6, 2020 5:25 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

Nice to know DA isn't the only big man selected #1 overall that was overshadowed by the #3 pick in the same draft.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#1924 » by King4Day » Tue Jul 7, 2020 1:53 pm

cberry78 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

Nice to know DA isn't the only big man selected #1 overall that was overshadowed by the #3 pick in the same draft.

I would gladly take the same results too.
If Doncic wins the Mavs a slew of championships, that's cool. As long as Ayton leads us to 1 :)
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#1925 » by Saberestar » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:45 pm

▪︎Ranking NBA's Top 15 Centers This Season.

Possession data from Cleaning the Glass and Basketball Reference will be used to help determine which players qualify as centers. Certain instances, however, will demand judgment calls. These verdicts will be rendered after considering defensive matchup data, lineup deployment and consensus perception.

7. Deandre Ayton.

Being the No. 1 pick in a 2018 draft class that included Luka Doncic and Trae Young is a tough hand to be dealt. The chances that Deandre Ayton ever tops the hype surrounding either, especially Doncic, are slim. But if you just judge Ayton on his merits, he's off to a heck of a start.

After a 25-game suspension, he averaged 19.0 points, 12.0 rebounds and 1.7 blocks in 33.2 minutes per game before the hiatus. On the season, the Suns are plus-0.7 points per 100 possessions with Ayton on the floor and minus-2.9 with him off.

His 57.1 true shooting percentage eclipsed the league average, but not by much. That's likely the next frontier for Ayton. More trips to the line would help. A player with his size (6'11", 250 lbs) and athleticism shouldn't be averse to contact.

He could use some work on defense, as well, but the Suns' defensive rating is better when he plays. And the nearly two blocks per game is nothing to sneeze at. Ayton is already a sturdier anchor than many projected he'd be by his second year, but he doesn't strike fear into opposing slashers.

Of course, for a sophomore, this is almost nitpicky. What Ayton's done with the start of his career is unusual. Tim Duncan, Blake Griffin, Shaquille O'Neal and Towns are the only players in league history to match or exceed his career averages for points (17.1) and rebounds (10.8) through an age-21 season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2888735-ranking-nbas-top-15-centers-this-season
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#1926 » by thamadkant » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:59 pm

Ayton is the absolute key for Suns to rise.
Booker has put up monster scoring stats and has failed to win more than 30 games the last 3 seasons. But Ayton... He is a true impact player both ends too.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1927 » by Saberestar » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:27 pm

Read on Twitter
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,808

Post#1928 » by RedIndian » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:34 am

Damn! That looks good. I've been waiting for him to develop a dribble drive game. Looks confident putting the ball on the floor there. That'll completely elevate his offensive game.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#1929 » by Mr Puddles » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:18 am

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ayton's agility and foot speed is so smooth for a guy his size. With all the talk about Ayton needing to become more of an enforcer down low, I think the case can be made that his potential on offense is as a face up player - more in the mold of guys like KAT and AD - than as a back to the basket guy.

I usually don't put a lot of stock into these 'score on every possession' type of highlight reals, but his footwork here is undeniable.
Spoiler:
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1930 » by Saberestar » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:32 am

RedIndian wrote:Damn! That looks good. I've been waiting for him to develop a dribble drive game. Looks confident putting the ball on the floor there. That'll completely elevate his offensive game.

That's the key part of his game that he needs to develop to get to the next level. Over 3p shooting IMO.

If he improves his dribble drive game he will be a tough matchup for every C in the league. He is so light on his feet and he is a good passer for his position, he can face up and go to work every single time knowing that we have solid shooters and cutters around him.

Booker and Ayton together at their peak can be a joy to watch for the next few years.
RedIndian
Bench Warmer

Post#1931 » by RedIndian » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Absolutely, as a long suffering Suns fan, I'm craving to see winning basketball. Pray that both Ayton and Book can remain healthy, and the FO doesn't **** up by surrounding them with trash.
GoodBehavior
Senior
And1: 370

Post#1932 » by GoodBehavior » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:37 pm

Saberestar wrote:
RedIndian wrote:Damn! That looks good. I've been waiting for him to develop a dribble drive game. Looks confident putting the ball on the floor there. That'll completely elevate his offensive game.

That's the key part of his game that he needs to develop to get to the next level. Over 3p shooting IMO.

If he improves his dribble drive game he will be a tough matchup for every C in the league. He is so light on his feet and he is a good passer for his position, he can face up and go to work every single time knowing that we have solid shooters and cutters around him.

Booker and Ayton together at their peak can be a joy to watch for the next few years.

I am on the other side of the fence. If Ayton gets the 3 ball (37%+), he's the best player in the game, with or without a dribble game. Even better than the seemingly unstoppable Giannis. You can start printing out parade tickets if he can hit those marks on threes.

Ayton's efficiency on the pick and roll is absurd (1.16 ppp), that's with team packing the paint and opposing center giving him the open mid range jumper. He's too quick and ridiculously light on his feet; opposing center don't have a chance. The only way you stop him is if you give him that open jumper, which teams gladly do (and unfortunately, he takes too many of those looks). If team actually respect his shooting (say like Jokic), his pick and roll efficiency would be out of this world (1.3ppp+)

That's why the 3 ball is so important for him and the team. If he can hit the 3 at the same rate as his middy (37%-40% mark), teams have to pick their poison. Unstoppable. Sean Miller, pre-draft, said something similar.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#1933 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:09 pm

GoodBehavior wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

I am on the other side of the fence. If Ayton gets the 3 ball (37%+), he's the best player in the game, with or without a dribble game. Even better than the seemingly unstoppable Giannis. You can start printing out parade tickets if he can hit those marks on threes.

Ayton's efficiency on the pick and roll is absurd (1.16 ppp), that's with team packing the paint and opposing center giving him the open mid range jumper. He's too quick and ridiculously light on his feet; opposing center don't have a chance. The only way you stop him is if you give him that open jumper, which teams gladly do (and unfortunately, he takes too many of those looks). If team actually respect his shooting (say like Jokic), his pick and roll efficiency would be out of this world (1.3ppp+)

That's why the 3 ball is so important for him and the team. If he can hit the 3 at the same rate as his middy (37%-40% mark), teams have to pick their poison. Unstoppable. Sean Miller, pre-draft, said something similar.

Gave you both And-1s, just thought I should explain: while I generally side with Saberester that adding the dribble is more important, I also agree with GB that if Ayton were actually able to knock down threes at a 37%-40% clip, he'd likely be in the MVP conversation. I just think the dribble drive comes first and does more to open things up for others than would Ayton shooting long balls. Maybe old man Ayton will just be a threes and rebounding machine, but first, I'll take ten years of poster dunks, please.
RedIndian
Bench Warmer

Post#1934 » by RedIndian » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:14 pm

AD didn't start shooting 3s till his fourth season. I have no doubt that Ayton will develop the 3 ball. His jumper is fundamentally sound, he has a great touch, and he shot them in college. He'll shoot them soon enough in the NBA.

The dribble drive game is something he's lacked and needs more work. It also opens all sorts of things. It means more FT opportunities, defenses collapsing the paint and more spacing for our wings.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,044

Post#1935 » by sunsbg » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:41 pm

Do you imagine a 3PT shooting Duncan on our team ? That's Ayton's potential.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1936 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:25 pm

RedIndian wrote:AD didn't start shooting 3s till his fourth season. I have no doubt that Ayton will develop the 3 ball. His jumper is fundamentally sound, he has a great touch, and he shot them in college. He'll shoot them soon enough in the NBA.

The dribble drive game is something he's lacked and needs more work. It also opens all sorts of things. It means more FT opportunities, defenses collapsing the paint and more spacing for our wings.

From this in college, To this so far.........The potential is definitely there! :wink:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1937 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:18 am

Read on Twitter
?s=09
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,044

Post#1938 » by sunsbg » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:17 am

RedIndian
Bench Warmer

Post#1939 » by RedIndian » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:11 pm

The arc on his shot looks much nicer. Hope he starts making a few in these games in Orlando.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#1940 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:45 am

If he doesn't launch some 3s these next 8 games I'm officially done talking about it because it's never going to happen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Phoenix Suns