ImageImageImage

Deandre Ayton news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,089

Re: Deandre Ayton news and highlights 

Post#1941 » by SlovenianDragon » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:40 am

You guys have to remember Ayton started balling at what 14? We knew he was good and full of potential thats why we drafted him. Every area of his game will keep improving. Prime Ayton is going to be SPOOKY.
Big NBA Fan
Senior
And1: 329

Post#1942 » by Big NBA Fan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:21 am

I enjoy watching DA play as he is a once-in-a-lifetime physical specimen, but I have some concerns about him.

- Lacks the competitive fire of a LeBron, Kobe, MJ, etc. He just seems too happy too often.

- Plays too soft, at times, and doesn't use his powerful frame as well as he could.

- Up-and-down motor and gets too passive at times.

He is a tremendous talent who seems like a hard-worker based on his improvement on defense, but his weaknesses are things you can't really teach.

If he had Amare's motor, competitiveness, and stamina, he would be in the discussion for best player in the NBA. He's THAT talented, but he needs to improve his stamina, toughness and effort. Nobody can match Ayton's physical gifts, but there's still room for improvement.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,824

Post#1943 » by Saberestar » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:35 am

His first triple in the NBA.

Read on Twitter
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,913

Post#1944 » by Fo-Real » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:43 pm

Saberestar wrote:His first triple in the NBA.

Read on Twitter

The bench was also hype as hell and LOUDLY supporting everything Payne did. It was great to see!!
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,154

Post#1945 » by stoo » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:20 am

I guess I am not really a Suns fan, I just follow few teams, and I really like Suns position and future.
Ayton reminded me of different top 90's centers, and he is probably combination of a lot of them, which is kinda scary. Beside practicing his skills, he will become a more experienced player and his body language will become more reminiscent of 90's centers. I believe very soon
NotSinceWilt
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#1946 » by darmani » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:32 pm

"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,764

Post#1947 » by matt131 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:44 pm

darmani wrote:Ayton on the Woj Podcast

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=29631574
Just listened to this pod. I think the biggest thing that stood out to me is that Deandre is still 100% a kid.

We harp on him for being inconsistent and for not bringing intensity every game. It's a valid complaint, but as he matures with age, I think we'll see a much more consistent Ayton.

He also mentioned that, until this year, he never had any interest in watching tape of basketball players other than himself. He said he did not understand the benefit of doing so. To me, this shows two things. One, he's never had a coach that put him in place to be as successful as possible, and two, he is still very much learning the game of basketball. The improvement we saw this year seemed to come from him finally studying basketball the right way and having a culture and coach around him that he believes cares for him. Having Monty as our coach seems even more vital now. I don't think Ayton would have taken this leap with a different coach and I think his progression would have stagnated.

I'm hopeful that Ayton can "grow up" quickly in terms of learning the game. I am still weary that he has passion for the game, but maybe that will come with time.

It's funny. Even though he's one of the biggest guys on the court in any game, he still sounds like a small fish in a big pond. I bet we see some more physical domination when he starts to feel more comfortable with his place in the league.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#1948 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:40 pm

matt131 wrote:

Just listened to this pod. I think the biggest thing that stood out to me is that Deandre is still 100% a kid.

We harp on him for being inconsistent and for not bringing intensity every game. It's a valid complaint, but as he matures with age, I think we'll see a much more consistent Ayton.

He also mentioned that, until this year, he never had any interest in watching tape of basketball players other than himself. He said he did not understand the benefit of doing so. To me, this shows two things. One, he's never had a coach that put him in place to be as successful as possible, and two, he is still very much learning the game of basketball. The improvement we saw this year seemed to come from him finally studying basketball the right way and having a culture and coach around him that he believes cares for him. Having Monty as our coach seems even more vital now. I don't think Ayton would have taken this leap with a different coach and I think his progression would have stagnated.

I'm hopeful that Ayton can "grow up" quickly in terms of learning the game. I am still weary that he has passion for the game, but maybe that will come with time.

It's funny. Even though he's one of the biggest guys on the court in any game, he still sounds like a small fish in a big pond. I bet we see some more physical domination when he starts to feel more comfortable with his place in the league.

Yeah the biggest takeaway from that interview was that he's still a kid, in a good and bad way. Good in the sense that he's still coachable, he's still learning and mentally he's still kind of innocent. But also bad that he's 22 and he can't have this kid mindset for too long because in the NBA you have to grow up fast.

What was not surprising but more so explained a lot is this whole basketball came to him thing and not the other way. He came into basketball not necessarily because it's a passion but because he was put into a basketball camp and he had the God given gifts to be good at it. That sort of explains to me why he's more of an athlete that plays basketball rather than a basketball player that plays basketball like a Booker. When I see Booker, i see the passion, I see that he's lived and breathed basketball since he was a kid (having a pro-ball dad helps). It's not necessarily a bad thing but some things that Ayton does and say is explained a lot by this imo.

This is sort of why I think he has that small fish in a big pond kind of vibe to him; because it's more of a surprise that he's in the NBA at all and playing well rather than that he belongs in the NBA and he's destined for greatness.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#1949 » by suns12345 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:21 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
matt131 wrote:

Yeah the biggest takeaway from that interview was that he's still a kid, in a good and bad way. Good in the sense that he's still coachable, he's still learning and mentally he's still kind of innocent. But also bad that he's 22 and he can't have this kid mindset for too long because in the NBA you have to grow up fast.

What was not surprising but more so explained a lot is this whole basketball came to him thing and not the other way. He came into basketball not necessarily because it's a passion but because he was put into a basketball camp and he had the God given gifts to be good at it. That sort of explains to me why he's more of an athlete that plays basketball rather than a basketball player that plays basketball like a Booker. When I see Booker, i see the passion, I see that he's lived and breathed basketball since he was a kid (having a pro-ball dad helps). It's not necessarily a bad thing but some things that Ayton does and say is explained a lot by this imo.

This is sort of why I think he has that small fish in a big pond kind of vibe to him; because it's more of a surprise that he's in the NBA at all and playing well rather than that he belongs in the NBA and he's destined for greatness.

Its interesting how he talks up his leadership, working hard, playing hard and with effort, but sometimes that doesn't translate on the court.

I wonder is it his lack of passion for the game, or is it just that he is still learning the game so sometimes feels uncertain in how to direct that hard work in the best way.

I think there is lots more to come from DA, and I do this that, at least in practice and off the court, he is a hard worker!
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#1950 » by thamadkant » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:35 am

Ayton as a 24 year old would be 1.5x the player he is now as a fresh 22 year old....

Right now, he follow orders and doesnt really tell his team mates where to go or what to do... he is just a follower with good ideas.
But as he becomes a "man".... he will start commanding team mates where to go and what to do... and we will see him display more passion, I dont expect Embiid or Cousins like passion... thankfully. But I expect Ayton talking to refs more and really using his size to get defenders to react and foul him.... that comes with experience and knowledge of how referees call the game.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#1951 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:48 am

suns12345 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
matt131 wrote:Just listened to this pod. I think the biggest thing that stood out to me is that Deandre is still 100% a kid.

Its interesting how he talks up his leadership, working hard, playing hard and with effort, but sometimes that doesn't translate on the court.

I wonder is it his lack of passion for the game, or is it just that he is still learning the game so sometimes feels uncertain in how to direct that hard work in the best way.

I think there is lots more to come from DA, and I do this that, at least in practice and off the court, he is a hard worker!

Maybe it's just how I hear him speak but sometimes he sounds like he's just saying what he's been told to say or suppose to say. Leadership, student of the game, stepping up...I just don't see that on the court consistently. You could take it positively or negatively but when he said he didn't care to watch game film without him in it until he got suspended and then all of a sudden he's a student of the game, I was just like....hmm if you say so...

When I look at Ayton and hear him speak, I see an athlete. A top 0.1% athlete. But I don't believe he's a passionate basketball player. I don't believe his personal goals truly align with being the best player in the league. Can you be an elite basketball player without being absolutely passionate about it? In his case, yes because he has the rare athleticism and feel to be elite. But will he ever will himself into becoming an MVP level basketball player, I just don't believe he has it in him. I say this not as a sleight because very very few players ever get themselves to that level, my point is that he has all the tools to be that kind of player but I don't believe he has the passion to take it there. And if he's an all-star or an all-NBA C at some point, that's already a helluva career
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#1952 » by suns12345 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:12 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
suns12345 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Yeah the biggest takeaway from that interview was that he's still a kid, in a good and bad way. Good in the sense that he's still coachable, he's still learning and mentally he's still kind of innocent. But also bad that he's 22 and he can't have this kid mindset for too long because in the NBA you have to grow up fast.

Maybe it's just how I hear him speak but sometimes he sounds like he's just saying what he's been told to say or suppose to say. Leadership, student of the game, stepping up...I just don't see that on the court consistently. You could take it positively or negatively but when he said he didn't care to watch game film without him in it until he got suspended and then all of a sudden he's a student of the game, I was just like....hmm if you say so...

When I look at Ayton and hear him speak, I see an athlete. A top 0.1% athlete. But I don't believe he's a passionate basketball player. I don't believe his personal goals truly align with being the best player in the league. Can you be an elite basketball player without being absolutely passionate about it? In his case, yes because he has the rare athleticism and feel to be elite. But will he ever will himself into becoming an MVP level basketball player, I just don't believe he has it in him. I say this not as a sleight because very very few players ever get themselves to that level, my point is that he has all the tools to be that kind of player but I don't believe he has the passion to take it there. And if he's an all-star or an all-NBA C at some point, that's already a helluva career

Hard to disagree with any of that. I'm hoping for the best though obviously
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#1953 » by DirtyDez » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:17 am

His words mean nothing but he’s well spoken at least.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
DroughtsOverPHX
Junior
And1: 357

Post#1954 » by DroughtsOverPHX » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:54 pm

DirtyDez wrote:

His words mean nothing but he’s well spoken at least.

You are generous. To me he's not articulate. It's strings of basketball cliches. I have to remind myself he's a freakin kid. I remember when Cedric Ceballos was on bank commercials early in his career (Cedric Ceballos on "results") that were bumbling messes but he emerged as a pretty decent MC for Suns games and other events.

I can't picture him being a leader. At all. Hmm...but he sees himself as being a leader already. At this point I can't picture him not looking lost about half the time. If he's not an eloquent, bright and engaging speaker I won't give a rip if he will ball and stop doing stupid stuff. Something really telling is that he saw no reason to watch film of players who were not him. Certainly room for growth for this kid.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#1955 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:02 pm

Dayum. Y'all are pretty harsh critics.

I didn't know he started with soccer. Makes sense, though, with the way he carries himself on the court: feet first, light steps.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#1956 » by Bogyo » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:17 am

I don't really think those are harsh critics. I'd go with realistic comments. He still has a lot to improve in all areas, as he is just a kid.
He is already a good bball player from his god-given talents. He could be a generational player if his mind was really into it, which he has not proved yet. His flaws are easy to see, and some of them are relly head-scratchers for some of us, for example 1 FTA/game in the bubble, less than 1 BPG in the bubble... wassup with those DeAndre, if you talk all this talk?
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1957 » by Saberestar » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:42 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:Dayum. Y'all are pretty harsh critics.

I didn't know he started with soccer. Makes sense, though, with the way he carries himself on the court: feet first, light steps.

I think that we are commenting what we are watching on the court and we are realistic about it.

I am happy with the team. We are playing pretty well and a lot of players have stepped up their games or they are doing what they are supposed to do...but Ayton is playing strictly bad in the bubble. Plain and simple.

It's especially worrying because he is such a big part of our core and we have a lot of expectations on him.

We need him to be great but he is regressing and he is doing the same mistakes that he did during his rookie season.

He is being passive, cero rim protection, can't catch the ball, doesn't create for himself or his teammates, no free throws at all. Damn he can't make a single pump fake or a bit of flopping...that would be big to go to the FTL, but he doesn't know how to do it. And he hates contact so he plays smaller than his size.

He probably is tired, but that would be a concern too. How he can be tired after all the training and resting for these 8 games? He is not playing too many minutes and he is just 22 years old... that would be embarrassing.

All in all he is a good C, but we need him to be better than that. He is young so he can improve yet...there is hope.

I would want to know what James Jones and Monty Williams are actually thinking about him, but obviously they will not share their deep thoughts on the media. I bet that they are a bit frustrated too.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#1958 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:34 pm

Saberestar wrote:

I think that we are commenting what we are watching on the court and we are realistic about it.

I am happy with the team. We are playing pretty well and a lot of players have stepped up their games or they are doing what they are supposed to do...but Ayton is playing strictly bad in the bubble. Plain and simple.

It's especially worrying because he is such a big part of our core and we have a lot of expectations on him.

We need him to be great but he is regressing and he is doing the same mistakes that he did during his rookie season.

He is being passive, cero rim protection, can't catch the ball, doesn't create for himself or his teammates, no free throws at all. Damn he can't make a single pump fake or a bit of flopping...that would be big to go to the FTL, but he doesn't know how to do it. And he hates contact so he plays smaller than his size.

He probably is tired, but that would be a concern too. How he can be tired after all the training and resting for these 8 games? He is not playing too many minutes and he is just 22 years old... that would be embarrassing.

All in all he is a good C, but we need him to be better than that. He is young so he can improve yet...there is hope.

I would want to know what James Jones and Monty Williams are actually thinking about him, but obviously they will not share their deep thoughts on the media. I bet that they are a bit frustrated too.

When I said peeps were being harsh, I was referring to their criticisms of his interview. He didn't sound that bad to me, though it certainly wasn't fun hearing him talk about how much basketball he doesn't watch. Contrast that with Dame's recent interview, where he mentioned that he doesn't play video games, but instead watches every single NBA game he can, because "he loves hoop." Damn right.

Ayton's maybe the only player who has regressed in the bubble. He was blocking shots during the regular season. Now he isn't. He appears to have added a 3 pointer to his game... maybe... but he plays like puppy dog on offense. I'm not sure he has the drive, the mentality to be a great player. His enormous gifts may very well go to waste.

Given the upward trajectory of the rest of the team, the FO's going to have to take a careful look to figure out what they really have in Deandre. What does he need to light a fire under his butt (since steroids are apparently not an option). A life coach? A sports psychologist? Psychiatric medicine? Does someone on the team need to start throwing punches to get the message across? Anyone in this front office know a ringer we could throw at him, put that chip on his shoulder?

You won't find a more tantalizing combination of offensive and defensive talent at the center position in today's game. But maybe.... maybe we really should be looking at Wiseman in the draft.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#1959 » by bigfoot » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:52 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

When I said peeps were being harsh, I was referring to their criticisms of his interview. He didn't sound that bad to me, though it certainly wasn't fun hearing him talk about how much basketball he doesn't watch. Contrast that with Dame's recent interview, where he mentioned that he doesn't play video games, but instead watches every single NBA game he can, because "he loves hoop." Damn right.

Ayton's maybe the only player who has regressed in the bubble. He was blocking shots during the regular season. Now he isn't. He appears to have added a 3 pointer to his game... maybe... but he plays like puppy dog on offense. I'm not sure he has the drive, the mentality to be a great player. His enormous gifts may very well go to waste.

Given the upward trajectory of the rest of the team, the FO's going to have to take a careful look to figure out what they really have in Deandre. What does he need to light a fire under his butt (since steroids are apparently not an option). A life coach? A sports psychologist? Psychiatric medicine? Does someone on the team need to start throwing punches to get the message across? Anyone in this front office know a ringer we could throw at him, put that chip on his shoulder?

You won't find a more tantalizing combination of offensive and defensive talent at the center position in today's game. But maybe.... maybe we really should be looking at Wiseman in the draft.

Hmmm, draft another center. Wow, that might light a fire.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1960 » by Saberestar » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:59 pm

I would not draft nowadays any C with a Top pick.

Return to Phoenix Suns