ImageImageImage

Mikal Bridges discussion, news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#61 » by Veggamattic » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:03 am

So this is interesting...word has it that Phoenix was ready to take DeVincenzo at 16 and were approached by Phili who wanted Smith. This makes me happy as I don't like Donte.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#62 » by NTB » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:23 am

carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
Veggamattic
Veteran

Post#63 » by Veggamattic » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:41 am

NTB wrote:

Dime Drop might do the best player analysis vids on the web. The guy only had 2k subscribers 2 weeks ago.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,045

Post#64 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:04 am

Veggamattic wrote:So this is interesting...word has it that Phoenix was ready to take DeVincenzo at 16 and were approached by Phili who wanted Smith. This makes me happy as I don't like Donte.

Yeah, one of the local media twitter guys reported Donte was the pick and McD later confirmed they were about to take one of Mikal's teammates (and they passed on Brunson at 31 so it wasn't him) so I was happy to find out we had Bridges and not Donte.

Apparently the Suns had called them earlier and tried to trade with all teams for another top 10 pick but Philly wouldn't earlier. They probably didn't have comfort in trading down to 16 until they saw Zhaire still on the board...so they called us back. I think with little time on the clock.
Veggamattic
Veteran

Post#65 » by Veggamattic » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:10 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Veggamattic wrote:So this is interesting...word has it that Phoenix was ready to take DeVincenzo at 16 and were approached by Phili who wanted Smith. This makes me happy as I don't like Donte.

Yeah, one of the local media twitter guys reported Donte was the pick and McD later confirmed they were about to take one of Mikal's teammates (and they passed on Brunson at 31 so it wasn't him) so I was happy to find out we had Bridges and not Donte.

Apparently the Suns had called them earlier and tried to trade with all teams for another top 10 pick but Philly wouldn't earlier. They probably didn't have comfort in trading down to 16 until they saw Zhaire still on the board...so they called us back. I think with little time on the clock.

That's what I thought too...I am trying to decide if I would have made the trade and it's close but I think I may have taken Walker instead. That Miami pick might be special if that is the year the NBA gets 2 in 1 draft classes.

I think McD may have made the trade to try and save his own ass knowing that he may not be around by then.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#66 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:46 am

Veggamattic wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

That's what I thought too...I am trying to decide if I would have made the trade and it's close but I think I may have taken Walker instead. That Miami pick might be special if that is the year the NBA gets 2 in 1 draft classes.

I think McD may have made the trade to try and save his own ass knowing that he may not be around by then.

Yeah, McD needs to get win now players and Mikal is more that than just about anyone in this draft, being a 4 year guy who excels in areas the NBA loves, and having played for 3 years in a 4 out NBA type offense

Everything I've read said the NBA COULD start taking high schoolers as early as 2021 or 2022. I think that's the absolute earliest. So there is probably a pretty good chance it is a year or two later when it happens. Of course it could be a good draft class even if it isn't.

In general though, I would never trade unprotected picks unless I was straight up trading for a star player. I would have probably at least tried to top 4 protect it and then not do the trade otherwise.

But I love Mikal as a player. He's probably our most complete player right now.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 2,883

Post#67 » by garrick » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:59 am

TOO wrote:Booker turns the ball over at an extremely high rate when he is the PG, its terrible and shouldn't even be a consideration.

Agreed but his teammates didn't exactly give him much help in that regard especially when Booker was trapped by double teams, with Ayton and Bridges hopefully this would be less of an issue?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#68 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:19 am

garrick wrote:
TOO wrote:Booker turns the ball over at an extremely high rate when he is the PG, its terrible and shouldn't even be a consideration.

Agreed but his teammates didn't exactly give him much help in that regard especially when Booker was trapped by double teams, with Ayton and Bridges hopefully this would be less of an issue?

I think Booker will be infinitely more valuable off ball most of the time. He will stretch the floor, draw defenders, can hit tough shots. If he has the ball then you probably have at least another guy cheating off Jackson anyway to double team him.

I wish Booker and JJ didn't turn it over more. Jackson with more control might be a better guy to play point because he doesn't shoot well from outside but obviously if he has the ball a defender has to stick. For some reason Jackson kind of reminds me at times as the SF version (poor man's at this point of course) of Russell Westbrook. I don't think it's a great comp but it has crossed my mind a few times.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#69 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:18 am

The more I watch of Bridges the more he reminds me of Trevor ariza. And that's absolutely a compliment.

They are pretty much the same hight and wingspan.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
TOO
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,310

Post#70 » by TOO » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:22 am

garrick wrote:

Nah, I dont think he's got the handle to be a PG, he's not very good at beating a switch, doesnt split doubles. He's got a fine handle to get a shot for himself, but to run an offense, its subpar IMO.
TOO
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,310

Post#71 » by TOO » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:28 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:The more I watch of Bridges the more he reminds me of Trevor ariza. And that's absolutely a compliment.

Bridges is a much much better shooter than Ariza. I think he's more Otto Porter than Ariza.
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#72 » by matt131 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:36 am

The more I watch Mikal, the more I like him. I think overall he is a great pick, but I really like the fact that he seems super NBA ready. Not saying that he won't improve, but it is nice to draft a player who has already developed so much and will probably play with more impact than a young, raw rookie. Excited for him to be a leader by example starting on day one.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Re: RE: Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#73 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:37 am

TOO wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:The more I watch of Bridges the more he reminds me of Trevor ariza. And that's absolutely a compliment.

Bridges is a much much better shooter than Ariza. I think he's more Otto Porter than Ariza.
Ariza has become passable on a high volume later in his career but yeah I hope you're right and Bridges shoots a higher percentage.

Porter is a good comp and I'd be thrilled if he turned out like him.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#74 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:49 am

This is a good one...

Read on Twitter
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#75 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:03 am

bwgood77 wrote:This is a good one...

Read on Twitter

Miles: Phx? It's hot as hell.
Mikal: I know.

:lol:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#76 » by phx#7 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:17 am

Read on Twitter

He seems far less upset about how the trade went down than a lot of the people who were covering the draft and blasted how Philly handled it.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#77 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:20 am

phx#7 wrote:

Read on Twitter

He seems far less upset about how the trade went down than a lot of the people who were covering the draft and blasted how Philly handled it.

Yeah, I thought he might be upset too, but watching everything and seeing that him and Ayton had developed a relationship and stuff is good and I think he embraces it.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#78 » by thamadkant » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:35 am

Mikal being upset at first... maybe first 30 seconds... was perfectly understandable... one moment he was told he will be staying in Philly... hanging out family and friends, then boom... all the way to Arizona thousands of miles away. But then he realized Ayton's there and Suns have an up and coming team and plenty of opportunities to prove himself..
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,909

Post#79 » by Fo-Real » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:46 pm

I would have liked that kid but I'm ok with the trade.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#80 » by kennydorglas » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:17 pm

In that 30 sec video he was pissed lol
But he turned it around pretty quickly.
Maybe got some warning from his agents.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola

Return to Phoenix Suns