Mikal Bridges discussion, news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,454

Re: Mikal Bridges discussion, news and highlights 

Post#521 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:10 am

lilfishi22 wrote:I do want him to take on more of that offensive load and be that potential 3rd guy for us, even at the expense of his efficiency. All that efficiency is great and all but at low-ish volume, it's not the asset it's made out to be. Sacrificing some efficiency for more output is something I want to see from him because efficiency is something he can always work on getting back but if he's reliant on others to set his table every time, he's just going to be a good role player when he could be more.

I think he plays the role they ask of him and that when Paul is gone he will create more of his own offense since we know he can and Cam may take more of the role he has now.

You must really like iso. I'm more of a fan of the way the SSOL teams played.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#522 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:11 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I do want him to take on more of that offensive load and be that potential 3rd guy for us, even at the expense of his efficiency. All that efficiency is great and all but at low-ish volume, it's not the asset it's made out to be. Sacrificing some efficiency for more output is something I want to see from him because efficiency is something he can always work on getting back but if he's reliant on others to set his table every time, he's just going to be a good role player when he could be more.

I think he plays the role they ask of him and that when Paul is gone he will create more of his own offense since we know he can and Cam may take more of the role he has now.

When did I say I really like ISO? I've consistently been against Booker iso possessions. I just want him to take more shots. He's so damn efficient, it's almost a disservice for him not to shoot more. It's the same argument you make for Ayton to get more shots.

In his first 8 games of the season, he had 5 games with double digit attempts and no fewer than 8 attempts in every game. Since then, he's only had 3 games with double digit attempts and also 3 games where he's shot less than 8 times.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#523 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:26 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

When did I say I really like ISO? I've consistently been against Booker iso possessions. I just want him to take more shots. He's so damn efficient, it's almost a disservice for him not to shoot more. It's the same argument you make for Ayton to get more shots.

In his first 8 games of the season, he had 5 games with double digit attempts and no fewer than 8 attempts in every game. Since then, he's only had 3 games with double digit attempts and also 3 games where he's shot less than 8 times.

Oh, my bad...when you mentioned him being reliant on others setting the table for himself I thought that meant you wanted to create more on his own (ie, iso).
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#524 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:42 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Oh, my bad...when you mentioned him being reliant on others setting the table for himself I thought that meant you wanted to create more on his own (ie, iso).

I want him to take more shots in general. In terms of ISO possessions, I don't really want him to try and create off the dribble like a Book or CP3 but he can afford to take more of those pull up midrange shots. Even if he misses, it's part of his growth as a scorer and his efficiency is so high, a few missed shot isn't going to turn him into an inefficient iso ball hog. He still should take 100% of the opportunities the offense creates for him but I do want him to try and create a couple more shots per game.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,477

Post#525 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:48 am

Mike Vigil (@protectedpick) Tweeted:
Mikal is hilarious.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,409

Post#526 » by Revived » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:12 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#527 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:10 pm

BBall Index (@The_BBall_Index) Tweeted:
Mikal Bridges has been THE best player in our Wing Stopper Role among Guards/Wings this season

-Defensive Impact: 1st*
-Matchup Difficulty: 3rd

Headshots & Scatter Plots App:
https://t.co/Xnn6TCH5qD

*With a lead on 2nd as big as the gap between 2nd and 13th https://t.co/bdOlx0IMA3
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#528 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:34 pm

David (@theIVpointplay) Tweeted:
The 1st page of Mikal's matchup data this season is silly. https://t.co/dJyG3DycoY
Read on Twitter
?s=20
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#529 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:43 am

Read on Twitter
?t=xVyXCYZOGl9jWbiB0kxUAA&s=19

Two minutes of bridges d

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#530 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:06 am

At the same time, Bridges DPOY odds have fallen further. Last I checked it was like 1700 but now it's at 2000.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,688

Post#531 » by Qwigglez » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:16 am

lilfishi22 wrote:At the same time, Bridges DPOY odds have fallen further. Last I checked it was like 1700 but now it's at 2000.

Those are good odds. Who is leading? Green and Gobert both have missed a handful of game. Green has missed 15, Gobert currently at 8. I think if enough of the talking heads are discussing Bridges I think there is a very good chance he wins it. Might have to place a bet.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#532 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:27 am

Qwigglez wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:At the same time, Bridges DPOY odds have fallen further. Last I checked it was like 1700 but now it's at 2000.

Those are good odds. Who is leading? Green and Gobert both have missed a handful of game. Green has missed 15, Gobert currently at 8. I think if enough of the talking heads are discussing Bridges I think there is a very good chance he wins it. Might have to place a bet.

Yeah you got it. Those two are the clear favourites at +125 and +188.

Then Giannis +650, JJJr +1100 then Bridges. Just behind Bridges is Evan Mobley and Embiid, both at +2200.

Might be right about the talking heads. They usually don't talk about DPOY with any sort of seriousness until later in the season so might be worth putting down a few bucks
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#533 » by suns12345 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:03 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:

Then Giannis +650, JJJr +1100 then Bridges. Just behind Bridges is Evan Mobley and Embiid, both at +2200.

Might be right about the talking heads. They usually don't talk about DPOY with any sort of seriousness until later in the season so might be worth putting down a few bucks

To be fair, I don't think the odds are wrong. he doesn't have the notoriety on that end that those other guys have, and at the end of the day it is partly a popularity contest.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#534 » by RunDogGun » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:09 am

Yeah, I hope Mikal doesn't care what his odds are. He goes out there every night, takes on the toughest assignments every night, and is always solid. I have watched multiple commentators talk about him and his defense. Hopefully he moves up in odds.

I think he and CamJo are my favorite Suns players this year. Those two guys seem like they are the glue that keeps us together.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#535 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:20 am

Yeah I don't think he follows the odds nor will how he's perceived by voters change the effort he puts in on the defensive end. He's a blue collar worker and he has a blue collar mentality. The prestige of a DPOY award would be super validating but whether he gets it or not, I don't think it would change how he plays.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#536 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:20 pm

suns12345 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:

To be fair, I don't think the odds are wrong. he doesn't have the notoriety on that end that those other guys have, and at the end of the day it is partly a popularity contest.

Also remember if you are talking Vegas or gambling odds these are purely based on how much money comes from bets and Bridges I think is really under the radar with the public compared to names like Gobert and Green who I think have both won.

It really has nothing to do with predicting anything, outside of what the odds open as at the beginning of the season, but those adjust constantly as bets come in.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#537 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:09 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
suns12345 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Yeah you got it. Those two are the clear favourites at +125 and +188.

Also remember if you are talking Vegas or gambling odds these are purely based on how much money comes from bets and Bridges I think is really under the radar with the public compared to names like Gobert and Green who I think have both won.

It really has nothing to do with predicting anything, outside of what the odds open as at the beginning of the season, but those adjust constantly as bets come in.
Yup.

Plus Vegas knows this award has pretty much exclusively gone to big men.

KOC had a good discussion about this on a pod earlier this year. How it's impossible and not really fair to compare point of attack defenders like Bridges with back line defensive anchors like Gobert. Both are extremely valuable but do completely different things on the court. It's truly and apples and oranges comp. For a good defensive team you need both.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#538 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:17 pm

You kinda have to be a Kawhi level defender to win as a wing. Kawhi has the strength to be a lockdown defender whereas Bridges has less of that lockdown-ness to his defense, partially because he's just not as strong.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#539 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Feb 1, 2022 11:01 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 2,974

Post#540 » by garrick » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:58 am

Read on Twitter

Duane Rankin | Arizona Republic

PHILADELPHIA — Mikal Bridges has never missed a game in his NBA career.

Never.

So it only seems appropriate the Phoenix Suns. wing would be featured on Whistle's "No Days Off."

Plus it's presented by Chipotle. Bridges loves to get his grub on there.

The episode dropped late last month as Bridges was having a workout on an off day with Suns player development coach Corey Vinson at the team's practice facility.

"When you see Mikal Bridges on the court, you know that he understands what his job is each and every night," Vinson said. "He's just young and hungry. He wants to grow. He wants to get better every day. He's expected to guard guys like LeBron (James) and Steph (Curry). He puts a lot of work in on the court, off the court."

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2022/02/08/phoenix-suns-mikal-bridges-talks-guarding-lebron-steph-philadelphia-childhood/6690678001/

Good piece from AZ Republic on Mikail Bridges.

Return to Phoenix Suns