Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,377

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#161 » by bwgood77 » Sun Aug 5, 2018 11:38 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wonder why Ayton's projected to shoot the long ball so well...

I've figured he'd shoot pretty well from 3. He shot 34.3% in college and shoots fairly well from the line. He also was like 50% from mid-long range. Tankathon has been projecting him to shoot about 33%.

I think he probably shoots somewhere in between, and improves from there.

I think they might have JJJ a tad high (though I figure he will shoot them well) and Carter a tad low. Carter shot over 41% in college and free throws a little better than Ayton.

Here were tankathon's projections: http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=deandre-ayton--mohamed-bamba--wendell-carter--jaren-jackson-jr
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#162 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Aug 5, 2018 11:41 pm

35% is pretty damn good for a big but I'm not expecting it. The one thing going for him is that he does have a good FT stroke (which doesn't bode super well for JJ, on the other hand).

As for Bridges, he shot .400 through 3 college seasons (428 attempts, on 3.7 a game) and shot almost 87FT%. He took just over 3 attempts a game through 5 games and averaged at 1.4 makes (.432). He's going to be an excellent shooter in the NBA, even if he never develops a self creation game. For his rookie season, I'm anticipating around .380 for his rookie season around 4 attempts a game. If he's stroking it early on in the season, he'll be taking Daniels' minutes and his shot attempts as well. And then if he throws in some of that defense that has been talked about, he's going to take those minutes from Daniels. Daniels was attempting a similar 6 attempts from the 3 last season and if Bridges can take his minutes, he'll be taking those 4 attempts a game on near .400 on 4-5 attempts a game is not an elite shooter yet but that's in that's in that tier below the elites.

I do love the interview he did with Vice Sports talking about how he wants to be more than 'just' a 3&D guy but doing it by firstly doing the things which will earn him minutes which is 3&D and then slowly round out his game.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#163 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Mon Aug 6, 2018 12:17 am

lilfishi22 wrote:35% is pretty damn good for a big but I'm not expecting it. The one thing going for him is that he does have a good FT stroke (which doesn't bode super well for JJ, on the other hand).

As for Bridges, he shot .400 through 3 college seasons (428 attempts, on 3.7 a game) and shot almost 87FT%. He took just over 3 attempts a game through 5 games and averaged at 1.4 makes (.432). He's going to be an excellent shooter in the NBA, even if he never develops a self creation game. For his rookie season, I'm anticipating around .380 for his rookie season around 4 attempts a game. If he's stroking it early on in the season, he'll be taking Daniels' minutes and his shot attempts as well. And then if he throws in some of that defense that has been talked about, he's going to take those minutes from Daniels. Daniels was attempting a similar 6 attempts from the 3 last season and if Bridges can take his minutes, he'll be taking those 4 attempts a game on near .400 on 4-5 attempts a game is not an elite shooter yet but that's in that's in that tier below the elites.

I do love the interview he did with Vice Sports talking about how he wants to be more than 'just' a 3&D guy but doing it by firstly doing the things which will earn him minutes which is 3&D and then slowly round out his game.

Bridges is the guy I'm least concerned about. Especially if Jackson struggles, I expect Bridges will start picking up minutes pretty quick. The dream scenario is that Jackson shines at PG next to Booker, and Warren plays some at PF, carving out some time for Bridges in the front court.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#164 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Aug 6, 2018 12:52 am

I don't think Jackson has the vision to be a capable PG nor does he have the shooting to be a Pat Bev/Derrick Fisher type rangy PG who makes intelligent passes. To me, he's a TJ Warren type player with a little more creativity for himself and for others while playing elite defense but his ideal offensive scenario is to be that filler. He'll likely be a better shooter than TJ just based on the fact that he'll shoot from the 3. But I think he's more of a 3rd option wing initiator in the sense that we don't want him to be creating too often but if Booker and (insert PG) is having trouble creating then you can have him be that 4th threat.

He definitely has the creativity and the skills but I don't think he has the vision or the bbiq to be playing more than spot minutes at the PG.

But I definitely agree with you in that I'm not worried about Bridges. He's going to come in, do his thing and stay within his abilities.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,801

Post#165 » by Saberestar » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:25 pm

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#166 » by Saberestar » Sat Sep 1, 2018 8:09 am

Read on Twitter
TheLogician
Sixth Man
And1: 1,532

Re: 

Post#167 » by TheLogician » Sat Sep 1, 2018 9:24 am

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

I interpret this as meaning he doesn't care about minutes and is fine paying dues as a rookie. I think he could earn good playing time this season, though.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#168 » by Saberestar » Tue Sep 4, 2018 9:20 pm

Read on Twitter
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#169 » by gaspar » Tue Oct 2, 2018 6:24 pm

Except for his Summer League debut, Mikal Bridges kind of plays like a smaller version of Dragan Bender. Hopefully it will change soon.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#170 » by MathiasPW » Tue Oct 2, 2018 6:51 pm

gaspar wrote:Except for his Summer League debut, Mikal Bridges kind of plays like a smaller version of Dragan Bender. Hopefully it will change soon.
What the...???
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#171 » by gaspar » Tue Oct 2, 2018 7:27 pm

MathiasPW wrote:
gaspar wrote:Except for his Summer League debut, Mikal Bridges kind of plays like a smaller version of Dragan Bender. Hopefully it will change soon.
What the...???

He's completely invisible most of the time and occasionally jacks up a three. It super early but I haven't been impressed with his game at all.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#172 » by bwgood77 » Tue Oct 2, 2018 7:30 pm

Yes, it is VERY VERY early. We don't have a primary ball handler really or our best player. I'm not too worried about him.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#173 » by MathiasPW » Tue Oct 2, 2018 7:32 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Yes, it is VERY VERY early. We don't have a primary ball handler really or our best player. I'm not too worried about him.
Early as like pre-beta early. Chill
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#174 » by Damkac » Tue Oct 2, 2018 8:35 pm

Expected more of him. I though he is one of the most NBA ready players in the draft.
Yes it's early but with McD terrible drafting history I'm worried.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#175 » by ATTL » Tue Oct 2, 2018 9:00 pm

Reminds me a little of Wesley Johnson
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#176 » by Saberestar » Tue Oct 2, 2018 9:21 pm

MathiasPW wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Yes, it is VERY VERY early. We don't have a primary ball handler really or our best player. I'm not too worried about him.

It is true that it is very early, but it is surprising that he was behind Davon Reed in Summer League and he is now behind Troy Daniels in the rotation.

I expected a bigger role since day one because he is an "old" rookie and we need defense and shooting.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#177 » by bwgood77 » Tue Oct 2, 2018 9:31 pm

Saberestar wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:

It is true that it is very early, but it is surprising that he was behind Davon Reed in Summer League and he is now behind Troy Daniels in the rotation.

I expected a bigger role since day one because he is an "old" rookie and we need defense and shooting.

Yeah, but we have younger core members behind journeyman vets in Ariza and Anderson possibly too. I think Igor's just making people earn their time. I think with strict 3 pt shooters or 3D guy it's tougher without that PG. Anderson was 0-3 last night and only hit a few free throws. Ariza didn't do much.

I am a little surprised he's behind Daniels but we know Daniels is a guy who is always ready to play. They may be trying to trade him too.
Hesh
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,142

Post#178 » by Hesh » Tue Oct 2, 2018 10:15 pm

He's probably behind him in the rotation because Daniels, although doesn't provide much else, will actually hit those 3's. He's a 40% career 3 point shooter. But once Bridges gets confident in his transition to the NBA, he should be good to go.

Bender actually believes Daniels is a better shooter than Booker :lol:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2018/10/01/suns-7-footer-bender-says-daniels-more-natural-shooter-than-booker/1469842002/
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#179 » by bwgood77 » Tue Oct 2, 2018 10:45 pm

Hesh wrote:He's probably behind him in the rotation because Daniels, although doesn't provide much else, will actually hit those 3's. He's a 40% career 3 point shooter. But once Bridges gets confident in his transition to the NBA, he should be good to go.

Bender actually believes Daniels is a better shooter than Booker :lol:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2018/10/01/suns-7-footer-bender-says-daniels-more-natural-shooter-than-booker/1469842002/

Even Daniels after the 3 pt contest tweeted something about "Still can't beat me" which led me to believe he has actually beat him in challenges in practices.

Daniels is a great shooter. He shot 48% from 3 as a rookie, and 48.4% a few years ago and around 40% on very high volume the last couple years. He's probably one of the best pure shooters in the league. Just can't do much else.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#180 » by LukasBMW » Tue Oct 2, 2018 10:51 pm

Your're telling me we couldn't have gotten Kemba with those two Miami picks (or packaged those picks + other assets for another legit PG?

We'd have more balance on our roster. That's for sure.

Return to Phoenix Suns