ImageImageImage

Mikal Bridges news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22, Kerrsed

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
Posts: 13,940
And1: 9,407
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#321 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:01 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I've always loved Bridges and still have high hopes for him but he's struggling on offense right now. I think it really starts with his jumper, I have no idea why but his form has kind of went to hell. He's 3-15 on 3s for the season, neither of those numbers are remotely acceptable. He needs to get himself open more and attempt and hit more.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app


Still extremely low sample size though. Appears to be mostly confidence for some reason, probably something to do with his injury. Booker had those nagging injuries and shot like 32% last year and now is at what, 53%?
Yeah I'm not out on Bridges or anything like that, hopefully it's just a short term slump. But I'd be lying if I didn't say his offensive game is concerning from a 'eye test' perspective to go along with the awful numbers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
User avatar
Frank Lee
RealGM
Posts: 10,364
And1: 4,626
Joined: Nov 07, 2006

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#322 » by Frank Lee » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:11 pm

Perhaps the accelerated catch and shoot system is creating a rushed mentality with his shot. Seldom does he get a wide open take your time look. Probably wont, well, unless he keeps missing and teams sag off on him. 3pt shooting is one skill that can be substantially improved with gym time. The small sample size put into perspective....he makes his next 3 attempts and hes at 33%.

I really like his off ball movement and cuts to the hoop. He's sneaky long and gets to the rim. The dude knows how to play ball. To me, Bridges is hardly a concern, as his value still lies with his D... the rest is gravy.

He does play with in himself. Oubre on the other hand??? Seems to string together 3-4 bad possessions in a row.
What ? Me Worry ?
User avatar
suns12345
Pro Prospect
Posts: 995
And1: 461
Joined: Jul 28, 2008
 

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#323 » by suns12345 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:15 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Perhaps the accelerated catch and shoot system is creating a rushed mentality with his shot. Seldom does he get a wide open take your time look. Probably wont, well, unless he keeps missing and teams sag off on him. 3pt shooting is one skill that can be substantially improved with gym time. The small sample size put into perspective....he makes his next 3 attempts and hes at 33%.

I really like his off ball movement and cuts to the hoop. He's sneaky long and gets to the rim. The dude knows how to play ball. To me, Bridges is hardly a concern, as his value still lies with his D... the rest is gravy.

He does play with in himself. Oubre on the other hand??? Seems to string together 3-4 bad possessions in a row.


100% this^... The kid's role has changed, he's still relatively young, it's a new system, his body changed in the off season with some extra muscle. It's pretty clear he is struggling with rhythm and struggling to shoot from range at the moment. That happens sometimes and when it does, sometimes getting the ball all the way to the rim from three seems impossible. but gradually he will get it back and soon enough he will be shooting a good clip. I have no doubt.

Still a monster on D. Kid has limbs for dayz
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 23,583
And1: 11,553
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#324 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:15 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Was listening to the Ringer NBA show with Chris Ryan and Justin Verrier and they were talking about the Suns about 18min in. They talked about the bench unit and Bridges specifically. They talked about how Bridges went 5 possessions without touching the ball and when he finally got the ball, they felt like he had this urge/anxiety that he needs to do *something* with the ball because he doesn't know when's the next time he'll touch the ball again and he plays like he doesn't trust that upper management won't forget about him in the rotation because he isn't used as much offensively. In comparison Cam is out there shooting virtually every shot whenever he gets the ball so his impact/role in the system is more apparent

They aren't saying this is what Bridges is thinking/feeling but that's how it seems to them when they watch him play. I do think there's some merit to that. I mean, the fact hat we barely talk about the guy (last post on here 22 Oct) is almost indicative of how forgotten he is.


He's certainly talked a lot about it in the game threads. His minutes are down. Cam is playing pretty well on occasion and Kelly playing really well until this last game. Bridges is still playing elite D. Now offsensively I don't know exactly what the problem is but I still think he would plug into the starting lineup quite easily. He works very well with Rubio. I think when Jerome gets back it may be similar. The bench has certainly had it's issues, but think of it with Jerome and Baynes in there along with Tyler, Bridges and Cam/Kaminsky...or maybe even Ayton for a few games when he gets back.

Bridges is a glue guy and a smart player who has good court vision, is good at moving the ball, cutting and typically a good shooter. Something does seem to be in his head but stuff like this is rarely permanent. Of course we always seem to have one wing wondering if he was going to win the starting job, all this before we draft a 3rd one.

I'm concerned about him from being potentially forgotten. He's always been a big part of whatever team he's been on whether it was in college or in his rookie season (played all 82 games, started 56 and avgd near 30mpg). He'll never get played out of a rotation but I certainly think he needs to be utilised better and more often with a legit playmaker.

yeah he'll probably plug into the starting line up well and I've been a proponent of starting him since his rookie season but I don't get the feeling that the coaching staff are looking to do that. And like I said, Cam is kind of like a flashy new toy on the playground and he has a ready made skill (elite shooting) that just fits virtually any lineup. I fear Bridges may never get the 30mpg I think he's capable of playing
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 23,583
And1: 11,553
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#325 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:19 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Perhaps the accelerated catch and shoot system is creating a rushed mentality with his shot. Seldom does he get a wide open take your time look. Probably wont, well, unless he keeps missing and teams sag off on him. 3pt shooting is one skill that can be substantially improved with gym time. The small sample size put into perspective....he makes his next 3 attempts and hes at 33%.

I really like his off ball movement and cuts to the hoop. He's sneaky long and gets to the rim. The dude knows how to play ball. To me, Bridges is hardly a concern, as his value still lies with his D... the rest is gravy.

He does play with in himself. Oubre on the other hand??? Seems to string together 3-4 bad possessions in a row.

I defintiely agree that it's better to have a guy that does a little less and plays within himself than a guy who does more but at the cost of trying to do too much.

I certainly see the value Bridges still brings on the court with his defense and occasional cuts but perhaps I just think he's not deserving (based on his rookie season) of his diminished role
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 64,286
And1: 36,396
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#326 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:38 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Was listening to the Ringer NBA show with Chris Ryan and Justin Verrier and they were talking about the Suns about 18min in. They talked about the bench unit and Bridges specifically. They talked about how Bridges went 5 possessions without touching the ball and when he finally got the ball, they felt like he had this urge/anxiety that he needs to do *something* with the ball because he doesn't know when's the next time he'll touch the ball again and he plays like he doesn't trust that upper management won't forget about him in the rotation because he isn't used as much offensively. In comparison Cam is out there shooting virtually every shot whenever he gets the ball so his impact/role in the system is more apparent

They aren't saying this is what Bridges is thinking/feeling but that's how it seems to them when they watch him play. I do think there's some merit to that. I mean, the fact hat we barely talk about the guy (last post on here 22 Oct) is almost indicative of how forgotten he is.


He's certainly talked a lot about it in the game threads. His minutes are down. Cam is playing pretty well on occasion and Kelly playing really well until this last game. Bridges is still playing elite D. Now offsensively I don't know exactly what the problem is but I still think he would plug into the starting lineup quite easily. He works very well with Rubio. I think when Jerome gets back it may be similar. The bench has certainly had it's issues, but think of it with Jerome and Baynes in there along with Tyler, Bridges and Cam/Kaminsky...or maybe even Ayton for a few games when he gets back.

Bridges is a glue guy and a smart player who has good court vision, is good at moving the ball, cutting and typically a good shooter. Something does seem to be in his head but stuff like this is rarely permanent. Of course we always seem to have one wing wondering if he was going to win the starting job, all this before we draft a 3rd one.

I'm concerned about him from being potentially forgotten. He's always been a big part of whatever team he's been on whether it was in college or in his rookie season (played all 82 games, started 56 and avgd near 30mpg). He'll never get played out of a rotation but I certainly think he needs to be utilised better and more often with a legit playmaker.

yeah he'll probably plug into the starting line up well and I've been a proponent of starting him since his rookie season but I don't get the feeling that the coaching staff are looking to do that. And like I said, Cam is kind of like a flashy new toy on the playground and he has a ready made skill (elite shooting) that just fits virtually any lineup. I fear Bridges may never get the 30mpg I think he's capable of playing


Well, Cam is going to get his time in part to show his being picked was justified, but he's playing prett well for a rookie. I wouldn't be too concerned about him being forgotten. His defense is desperately needed since we don't have any other good wing defenders and he is among the best. I mean he played limited minutes last night and this guy isn't a block chaser, but ends up with 3...it just goes to show how disruptive he probably is to a lot of other shots and why he rates so high defensively. I doubt this stuff goes unnoticed. I'm sure the coaches are hoping he can work through his shooting issues which most players go through and I imagine he will.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
Posts: 13,940
And1: 9,407
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#327 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:42 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
He's certainly talked a lot about it in the game threads. His minutes are down. Cam is playing pretty well on occasion and Kelly playing really well until this last game. Bridges is still playing elite D. Now offsensively I don't know exactly what the problem is but I still think he would plug into the starting lineup quite easily. He works very well with Rubio. I think when Jerome gets back it may be similar. The bench has certainly had it's issues, but think of it with Jerome and Baynes in there along with Tyler, Bridges and Cam/Kaminsky...or maybe even Ayton for a few games when he gets back.

Bridges is a glue guy and a smart player who has good court vision, is good at moving the ball, cutting and typically a good shooter. Something does seem to be in his head but stuff like this is rarely permanent. Of course we always seem to have one wing wondering if he was going to win the starting job, all this before we draft a 3rd one.

I'm concerned about him from being potentially forgotten. He's always been a big part of whatever team he's been on whether it was in college or in his rookie season (played all 82 games, started 56 and avgd near 30mpg). He'll never get played out of a rotation but I certainly think he needs to be utilised better and more often with a legit playmaker.

yeah he'll probably plug into the starting line up well and I've been a proponent of starting him since his rookie season but I don't get the feeling that the coaching staff are looking to do that. And like I said, Cam is kind of like a flashy new toy on the playground and he has a ready made skill (elite shooting) that just fits virtually any lineup. I fear Bridges may never get the 30mpg I think he's capable of playing


Well, Cam is going to get his time in part to show his being picked was justified, but he's playing prett well for a rookie. I wouldn't be too concerned about him being forgotten. His defense is desperately needed since we don't have any other good wing defenders and he is among the best. I mean he played limited minutes last night and this guy isn't a block chaser, but ends up with 3...it just goes to show how disruptive he probably is to a lot of other shots and why he rates so high defensively. I doubt this stuff goes unnoticed. I'm sure the coaches are hoping he can work through his shooting issues which most players go through and I imagine he will.
He won't get lost and when he gets going he'll get more minutes. I think Monty has done well playing the hot hand and rewarding guys who are having good games.

I think Ayton being out kind of hurt the current Mikal. The suns need guys to replace that scoring so it's hard to play a guy who on some nights has been a 0 on offense.

I don't think cam has been gifted minutes, they really needed his scoring off the bench some nights especially with Frank scuffling for that stretch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 64,286
And1: 36,396
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#328 » by bwgood77 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:59 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I'm concerned about him from being potentially forgotten. He's always been a big part of whatever team he's been on whether it was in college or in his rookie season (played all 82 games, started 56 and avgd near 30mpg). He'll never get played out of a rotation but I certainly think he needs to be utilised better and more often with a legit playmaker.

yeah he'll probably plug into the starting line up well and I've been a proponent of starting him since his rookie season but I don't get the feeling that the coaching staff are looking to do that. And like I said, Cam is kind of like a flashy new toy on the playground and he has a ready made skill (elite shooting) that just fits virtually any lineup. I fear Bridges may never get the 30mpg I think he's capable of playing


Well, Cam is going to get his time in part to show his being picked was justified, but he's playing prett well for a rookie. I wouldn't be too concerned about him being forgotten. His defense is desperately needed since we don't have any other good wing defenders and he is among the best. I mean he played limited minutes last night and this guy isn't a block chaser, but ends up with 3...it just goes to show how disruptive he probably is to a lot of other shots and why he rates so high defensively. I doubt this stuff goes unnoticed. I'm sure the coaches are hoping he can work through his shooting issues which most players go through and I imagine he will.
He won't get lost and when he gets going he'll get more minutes. I think Monty has done well playing the hot hand and rewarding guys who are having good games.

I think Ayton being out kind of hurt the current Mikal. The suns need guys to replace that scoring so it's hard to play a guy who on some nights has been a 0 on offense.

I don't think cam has been gifted minutes, they really needed his scoring off the bench some nights especially with Frank scuffling for that stretch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app


I didn't mean "gifting" minutes as much as part of the reason they drafted him because they knew he was ready and could contribute immediately and they have talked about wanting to find him minutes, so they will.
daoneandonly
General Manager
Posts: 8,851
And1: 1,411
Joined: May 27, 2004
Location: Masalaland
 

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#329 » by daoneandonly » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:10 pm

Came here as a Mavs fan wondering about him, so good read. I think he'd be a great fit on the Mavs next to Luka/KP, but not sure we'd have the pieces to make it work if he was on the table.
Saberestar
RealGM
Posts: 12,231
And1: 7,823
Joined: May 21, 2010

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#330 » by Saberestar » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:46 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Came here as a Mavs fan wondering about him, so good read. I think he'd be a great fit on the Mavs next to Luka/KP, but not sure we'd have the pieces to make it work if he was on the table.

He can be a great fit next to Booker/Ayton too.

He needs to improve a bit his overall offensive game, defensively he is already very good.

I believe that he is gonna be a big part of our core, that injury that he had in preseason is probably the reason of his bad start.
sunsbg
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,464
And1: 824
Joined: Feb 29, 2016

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#331 » by sunsbg » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:07 pm

Saberestar wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Came here as a Mavs fan wondering about him, so good read. I think he'd be a great fit on the Mavs next to Luka/KP, but not sure we'd have the pieces to make it work if he was on the table.

He can be a great fit next to Booker/Ayton too.

He needs to improve a bit his overall offensive game, defensively he is already very good.

I believe that he is gonna be a big part of our core, that injury that he had in preseason is probably the reason of his bad start.


I'm waiting for the Mavs game to see how Oubre/Bridges defend Luka. From what I have seen Mikal is in most cases going over the screens and usually ends a step or two behind his man. Using screens to blow past defenders is certainly a big part of Luka's game, so I would want to see how Mikal does against him. He's certainly a good to great team defender, but I'm yet to see him shut down a good offensive player.

Further, this got me thinking, what's the value of a great wing defender, when NBA rules clearly benefit the offensive player, like you know NBA is now a wings league, to be more precise wings with good offense. Teams score 150pts in a normal(no overtime) game. So why draft a defensive minded player in the first place and not someone that can score ?
Jorgeglez7
Freshman
Posts: 67
And1: 49
Joined: Oct 24, 2019
 

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#332 » by Jorgeglez7 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:54 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Came here as a Mavs fan wondering about him, so good read. I think he'd be a great fit on the Mavs next to Luka/KP, but not sure we'd have the pieces to make it work if he was on the table.

He can be a great fit next to Booker/Ayton too.

He needs to improve a bit his overall offensive game, defensively he is already very good.

I believe that he is gonna be a big part of our core, that injury that he had in preseason is probably the reason of his bad start.


I'm waiting for the Mavs game to see how Oubre/Bridges defend Luka. From what I have seen Mikal is in most cases going over the screens and usually ends a step or two behind his man. Using screens to blow past defenders is certainly a big part of Luka's game, so I would want to see how Mikal does against him. He's certainly a good to great team defender, but I'm yet to see him shut down a good offensive player.

Further, this got me thinking, what's the value of a great wing defender, when NBA rules clearly benefit the offensive player, like you know NBA is now a wings league, to be more precise wings with good offense. Teams score 150pts in a normal(no overtime) game. So why draft a defensive minded player in the first place and not someone that can score ?


Easy. Because once in the playoffs is when teams can't score 150 points in a game and when defense is played seriously. Having a player capable of holding down an important player of the other team is extremely valuable in this situation, where each possesion counts.
ImNotMcDiSwear
Head Coach
Posts: 6,847
And1: 4,514
Joined: Dec 14, 2013
 

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#333 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:57 pm

Saberestar wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Came here as a Mavs fan wondering about him, so good read. I think he'd be a great fit on the Mavs next to Luka/KP, but not sure we'd have the pieces to make it work if he was on the table.

He can be a great fit next to Booker/Ayton too.

He needs to improve a bit his overall offensive game, defensively he is already very good.

I believe that he is gonna be a big part of our core, that injury that he had in preseason is probably the reason of his bad start.


I have less than zero interest in trading Mikal Bridges to the Mavs. That's the kind of move one might regret for years to come.
Revived
RealGM
Posts: 26,070
And1: 11,837
Joined: Feb 17, 2011

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#334 » by Revived » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:13 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Came here as a Mavs fan wondering about him, so good read. I think he'd be a great fit on the Mavs next to Luka/KP, but not sure we'd have the pieces to make it work if he was on the table.

Dallas doesn’t have any 1st rd picks to trade for a few years. I would imagine if Bridges was ever on the trade block then that would be required since the Suns trading two 1st rd picks to move up and draft him.

Maxi Kleber, a great fit at PF next to Ayton due to his defense & 3pt shooting, would be required in the return as well.

But overall, I doubt the Suns consider trading Bridges unless their just blown away by an offer. He’s barely in his 2nd season and he’s already the best defender on the team by a good margin. If he still can’t hit 3pters at a good clip even by the time he’s in his contract year then yeah I can see the Suns trying to trade him out but right now it’s too early.
sunsbg
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,464
And1: 824
Joined: Feb 29, 2016

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#335 » by sunsbg » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:15 pm

Jorgeglez7 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Saberestar wrote:He can be a great fit next to Booker/Ayton too.

He needs to improve a bit his overall offensive game, defensively he is already very good.

I believe that he is gonna be a big part of our core, that injury that he had in preseason is probably the reason of his bad start.


I'm waiting for the Mavs game to see how Oubre/Bridges defend Luka. From what I have seen Mikal is in most cases going over the screens and usually ends a step or two behind his man. Using screens to blow past defenders is certainly a big part of Luka's game, so I would want to see how Mikal does against him. He's certainly a good to great team defender, but I'm yet to see him shut down a good offensive player.

Further, this got me thinking, what's the value of a great wing defender, when NBA rules clearly benefit the offensive player, like you know NBA is now a wings league, to be more precise wings with good offense. Teams score 150pts in a normal(no overtime) game. So why draft a defensive minded player in the first place and not someone that can score ?


Easy. Because once in the playoffs is when teams can't score 150 points in a game and when defense is played seriously. Having a player capable of holding down an important player of the other team is extremely valuable in this situation, where each possesion counts.


I have always thought this is the case, but there are many people that say the league is going in a certain direction, which obviously is the teams to score more and more points. You still need to make the playoffs first, right. And there is no guarantee NBA will not suddenly decide to apply same officiating in the playoffs, which means players like Bridges can become obsolete, more than Cs like Ayton, who may not play great D, but still can score with good efficiency.
Saberestar
RealGM
Posts: 12,231
And1: 7,823
Joined: May 21, 2010

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#336 » by Saberestar » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:18 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Came here as a Mavs fan wondering about him, so good read. I think he'd be a great fit on the Mavs next to Luka/KP, but not sure we'd have the pieces to make it work if he was on the table.

He can be a great fit next to Booker/Ayton too.

He needs to improve a bit his overall offensive game, defensively he is already very good.

I believe that he is gonna be a big part of our core, that injury that he had in preseason is probably the reason of his bad start.


I'm waiting for the Mavs game to see how Oubre/Bridges defend Luka. From what I have seen Mikal is in most cases going over the screens and usually ends a step or two behind his man. Using screens to blow past defenders is certainly a big part of Luka's game, so I would want to see how Mikal does against him. He's certainly a good to great team defender, but I'm yet to see him shut down a good offensive player.

Further, this got me thinking, what's the value of a great wing defender, when NBA rules clearly benefit the offensive player, like you know NBA is now a wings league, to be more precise wings with good offense. Teams score 150pts in a normal(no overtime) game. So why draft a defensive minded player in the first place and not someone that can score ?

Yeah, it is true that defensive wings has less value than in the past, but they are useful yet and every team needs at least one of those in their roster.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 64,286
And1: 36,396
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#337 » by bwgood77 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:56 pm

Saberestar wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Saberestar wrote:He can be a great fit next to Booker/Ayton too.

He needs to improve a bit his overall offensive game, defensively he is already very good.

I believe that he is gonna be a big part of our core, that injury that he had in preseason is probably the reason of his bad start.


I'm waiting for the Mavs game to see how Oubre/Bridges defend Luka. From what I have seen Mikal is in most cases going over the screens and usually ends a step or two behind his man. Using screens to blow past defenders is certainly a big part of Luka's game, so I would want to see how Mikal does against him. He's certainly a good to great team defender, but I'm yet to see him shut down a good offensive player.

Further, this got me thinking, what's the value of a great wing defender, when NBA rules clearly benefit the offensive player, like you know NBA is now a wings league, to be more precise wings with good offense. Teams score 150pts in a normal(no overtime) game. So why draft a defensive minded player in the first place and not someone that can score ?

Yeah, it is true that defensive wings has less value than in the past, but they are useful yet and every team needs at least one of those in their roster.


I don't think defensive wings have become less valuable. GS won with some great defensive wings (of course they had great offense too) but Toronto did the same last year with Kawhi and Siakam. This is why many think Kawhi's the best player in the NBA, because he is elite on both sides. The Lakers are now focused on defense and leading the west, and the Clips will also be like this. PJ Tucker has been very important for the Rockets and their defensive wings were huge in that series where they almost knocked out GS in the WCF.
User avatar
suns12345
Pro Prospect
Posts: 995
And1: 461
Joined: Jul 28, 2008
 

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#338 » by suns12345 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:29 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
I'm waiting for the Mavs game to see how Oubre/Bridges defend Luka. From what I have seen Mikal is in most cases going over the screens and usually ends a step or two behind his man. Using screens to blow past defenders is certainly a big part of Luka's game, so I would want to see how Mikal does against him. He's certainly a good to great team defender, but I'm yet to see him shut down a good offensive player.

Further, this got me thinking, what's the value of a great wing defender, when NBA rules clearly benefit the offensive player, like you know NBA is now a wings league, to be more precise wings with good offense. Teams score 150pts in a normal(no overtime) game. So why draft a defensive minded player in the first place and not someone that can score ?

Yeah, it is true that defensive wings has less value than in the past, but they are useful yet and every team needs at least one of those in their roster.


I don't think defensive wings have become less valuable. GS won with some great defensive wings (of course they had great offense too) but Toronto did the same last year with Kawhi and Siakam. This is why many think Kawhi's the best player in the NBA, because he is elite on both sides. The Lakers are now focused on defense and leading the west, and the Clips will also be like this. PJ Tucker has been very important for the Rockets and their defensive wings were huge in that series where they almost knocked out GS in the WCF.


The year the rockets nearly beat GSW, a key reason was having tucker, Ariza (booo), and mbah moute... Wing defender are certainly still highly sought after
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
Posts: 13,940
And1: 9,407
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#339 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:55 pm

It's important to have great wing defender in the playoffs because you face off against teams with great wings, you need someone to slow them down.

Now I do think it's gotten harder to play the defensive specialist that really struggle on O because the opponent will shift it's D to basically leave that guy open and make them shoot. At that point the player either needs to make shots or leave the court. We saw the warriors do this to Tony Allen in a series where they basically stopped guarding him completely.

What made the raptors so tough last year was they had great defenders but they also didn't have any weak links on O, anyone their opponents tried to cheat off of could beat them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 23,583
And1: 11,553
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: Welcome Mikal Bridges! 

Post#340 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:16 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Came here as a Mavs fan wondering about him, so good read. I think he'd be a great fit on the Mavs next to Luka/KP, but not sure we'd have the pieces to make it work if he was on the table.

Bridges is a guy that could fit anywhere with an good playmaker. He doesn't take shots away from your main guys, always plays with 100% effort, is a great defender and is working on his offense (and 3PT shooting).

I don't think we're looking to move him any time soon, especially with the team holding his rights .
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though

Return to Phoenix Suns