ImageImageImage

Booker Discussion, news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Where would you rank last year's Booker on the 2004-05 team?

Best player
11%
2nd best
19%
3rd best
36%
4th best
24%
5th best
10%

Total votes: 103

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Re: Booker Discussion, news and highlights 

Post#1261 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:44 pm

I'm not one for hyperbole but that was one of the greatest series performances I've seen in my 35+ years watching the NBA. Just badass ****.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,392

Post#1262 » by Revived » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:50 pm

I was telling one of my friends this today but can you imagine how Booker’s career trajectory would’ve been if he wasn’t surrounded by such absolute crap rosters for the first 5-6 years of his career?

He’s still very new when it comes to playoffs basketball and yet he looks extremely comfortable in playoff basketball. He plays as if he’s been 10 year regular in playoff basketball and yet it’s barely his 3rd time.

If he actually had at least above average rosters in his first 4-5 years, Suns could probably have been a playoff team already and we would’ve seen him doing this a lot sooner and who knows how great of a player he would’ve been at this point if he had that experience before.

It would’ve certainly changed a lot of narratives around him, that’s for sure.
Revived
RealGM

Post#1263 » by Revived » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:57 pm

This was my favorite shot of the night and maybe so far in the playoffs so far. Hesitation crossover then dribble left with two defenders and then rising and fading away to the left with a clear hand in his face and he swishes it. When I saw him do this at first I thought he was gonna go bank but nope. Degree of difficulty is just insane.
Revived
RealGM

Post#1264 » by Revived » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:37 pm

Read on Twitter
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1265 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:23 pm

Revived wrote:I was telling one of my friends this today but can you imagine how Booker’s career trajectory would’ve been if he wasn’t surrounded by such absolute crap rosters for the first 5-6 years of his career?

He’s still very new when it comes to playoffs basketball and yet he looks extremely comfortable in playoff basketball. He plays as if he’s been 10 year regular in playoff basketball and yet it’s barely his 3rd time.

If he actually had at least above average rosters in his first 4-5 years, Suns could probably have been a playoff team already and we would’ve seen him doing this a lot sooner and who knows how great of a player he would’ve been at this point if he had that experience before.

I think the Suns player development during the mcd era was shameful bad but I do think Devin benefited by getting a ton of reps as a primary ball handler that I don't think he gets on a decent team. It wasn't always pretty with the turnovers but I think those reps really helped his game.

Now that's not to say Devin wouldn't have been good, he probably would have been a better defender sooner but maybe not as complete of an offensive player.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,448

Post#1266 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:03 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Revived wrote:I was telling one of my friends this today but can you imagine how Booker’s career trajectory would’ve been if he wasn’t surrounded by such absolute crap rosters for the first 5-6 years of his career?

I think the Suns player development during the mcd era was shameful bad but I do think Devin benefited by getting a ton of reps as a primary ball handler that I don't think he gets on a decent team. It wasn't always pretty with the turnovers but I think those reps really helped his game.

Now that's not to say Devin wouldn't have been good, he probably would have been a better defender sooner but maybe not as complete of an offensive player.

His defense changed a lot when Paul showed up. Like close to worst in league to near average, which is an enormous change, and he's flirted between average to really good the last couple of years.

But in the playoffs, his level and consistency has gone up considerably.

I mean his whole game has been outstanding, but we've seen the high efficiency, great assist games, some good rebounding games all before, but not this level of defense, especially on a consistent basis.

I agree that I think getting so many reps early helped. And I think having a seasoned vet like Paul joined helped a lot. And he's upped his game considerably playing with KD.

But to put together the consistent very high level defense, AND the efficiency, volume, assists, and even rebounds the last 3. He has shot over 62% from the field in 3 of them averaging 38.5 in those 3. 13 steals and 5 blocks in the series too (the blocks coming in two games).

And having been very bad from 3 to end the season and even in game 1, he has shot 50% or higher 3x, including over 57% twice, and the other time near 43%. It's crazy how much he thrived from 3 in the last 4 games as opposed to his last 6 regular season games and first playoff game.

Even his overall FG% was only over 45% once in the last 6 games in the regular season, but was only under 52% once in the playoffs (47.6%)

It's rare that players play at a higher level in the playoffs than in the regular season, but in this series he blew his regular season away, ESPECIALLy the end of it. I think there was a graphic a few years back showing Kawhi was the only player who consistently played better in the playoffs than the regular season.

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1267 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:02 am

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

His defense changed a lot when Paul showed up. Like close to worst in league to near average, which is an enormous change, and he's flirted between average to really good the last couple of years.

But in the playoffs, his level and consistency has gone up considerably.

I mean his whole game has been outstanding, but we've seen the high efficiency, great assist games, some good rebounding games all before, but not this level of defense, especially on a consistent basis.

I agree that I think getting so many reps early helped. And I think having a seasoned vet like Paul joined helped a lot. And he's upped his game considerably playing with KD.

But to put together the consistent very high level defense, AND the efficiency, volume, assists, and even rebounds the last 3. He has shot over 62% from the field in 3 of them averaging 38.5 in those 3. 13 steals and 5 blocks in the series too (the blocks coming in two games).

And having been very bad from 3 to end the season and even in game 1, he has shot 50% or higher 3x, including over 57% twice, and the other time near 43%. It's crazy how much he thrived from 3 in the last 4 games as opposed to his last 6 regular season games and first playoff game.

Even his overall FG% was only over 45% once in the last 6 games in the regular season, but was only under 52% once in the playoffs (47.6%)

It's rare that players play at a higher level in the playoffs than in the regular season, but in this series he blew his regular season away, ESPECIALLy the end of it. I think there was a graphic a few years back showing Kawhi was the only player who consistently played better in the playoffs than the regular season.

Yeah defense is so much about being in the right spot and trying. CP has helped this whole team understand where to be in that side of the floor. Booker's effort is better too. That's not a total knock on him, some of the effort issue was how much energy he was using up on O when he was the only player on the team capable of dribbling. I also think it's hard to stay locked in when your getting youre ass kicked and the other guys around you are blowing assignments.

Booker is a good example of why it's really hard to project D with young guys on bad teams. Some guys figure out and some never do.

darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#1268 » by darmani » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:22 pm

Read on Twitter
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,149

Post#1269 » by spanishninja » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:18 pm

darmani wrote:
Read on Twitter

is the top dot KD or Butler?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,472

Post#1270 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun May 7, 2023 3:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1271 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun May 7, 2023 3:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,631

Post#1272 » by lilfishi22 » Mon May 8, 2023 3:59 am

Lol at the Suns fans who don't think Book is a supermax player
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#1273 » by bigfoot » Mon May 8, 2023 4:09 pm

What is interesting is Jordan did not get his first championship until age 27. If Booker is truly the next heir apparent at age 26, we have a lot to look forward to for the next 8-10 years. Booker has brought in Durant. Booker wants to stay in Phoenix and will be able to attract other elite free agents when Durant retires.
Revived
RealGM

Post#1274 » by Revived » Mon May 8, 2023 8:35 pm

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1275 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue May 9, 2023 1:59 am

What Revived said above!
Read on Twitter

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1276 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue May 9, 2023 2:08 am

bigfoot wrote:What is interesting is Jordan did not get his first championship until age 27. If Booker is truly the next heir apparent at age 26, we have a lot to look forward to for the next 8-10 years. Booker has brought in Durant. Booker wants to stay in Phoenix and will be able to attract other elite free agents when Durant retires.

But still, as historically great as Jordan was, He still had a really solid supporting cast. So who's our Pippen now with Bridges gone? Who's our Rodman? Is Shamet our 1 out of every 12 games Armstrong? Payne our Paxon? Clearly Ayton is our Longley or maybe Cartwright? Book might have a steeper climb considering less reliable depth! In that consideration alone, and given his surreal rise to unmatched greatness, it's asinine that they don't wait for the MVP decisions until after the finals since the postseason is a lot more pressure and vastly more impactful than the regular season alone. People (fans) should really lobby Silver for this to change! Or maybe the should have two tier MVP selections. One for the regular season and one more prestigious for the playoffs on a much bigger stage!! :dontknow:
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#1277 » by kennydorglas » Tue May 16, 2023 7:13 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#1278 » by kennydorglas » Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:43 pm

This mf along with Ayton brought cp3, durant and now Beal to join the Valley.

Put some respect on his name, please.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,813

Post#1279 » by Saberestar » Thu Jul 6, 2023 8:24 pm

Why is Devin Booker one of the best players in the NBA?

Jared Dudley: “Book look like he vegan right now…He’s so dedicated. Book has always been a bucket. They thing about Book is his confidence is crazy.”

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,813

Post#1280 » by Saberestar » Mon Sep 4, 2023 11:06 am

Return to Phoenix Suns