ImageImageImage

Booker Discussion, news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Where would you rank last year's Booker on the 2004-05 team?

Best player
11%
2nd best
19%
3rd best
36%
4th best
24%
5th best
10%

Total votes: 103

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Re: Booker news and highlights 

Post#681 » by Revived » Wed Feb 3, 2021 12:44 am

Read on Twitter

Sarver’s gotta be happy, she’s definitely bringing some recognition to the Suns.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,486

Post#682 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 4, 2021 2:01 pm

Booker's catch and shoot 3pt% (over 42%) which is kind of crazy it's that high given his overall 3pt% is 34% https://www.nba.com/stats/players/catch-shoot/

Here is Booker's pull up 3pt% (26.9%) https://www.nba.com/stats/players/pullup/
Adrao
Junior
And1: 195

Post#683 » by Adrao » Sat Feb 6, 2021 7:11 am

We really have a problem with Booker because he thinks he is better than he really is. If he is smart it's time to stop doing every kind of shots and "all-star" plays. Dear Devin, play easy, you are a good player but in a real contender you will never be the main star, maybe the second or third leg (more third than second).
If our future is built around Booker our roof will not be very high.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#684 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 3:49 am

Adrao wrote:We really have a problem with Booker because he thinks he is better than he really is. If he is smart it's time to stop doing every kind of shots and "all-star" plays. Dear Devin, play easy, you are a good player but in a real contender you will never be the main star, maybe the second or third leg (more third than second).

Eh I feel like we have this discussion every season. From the all-star break onwards in Booker's rookie season, he's had to play above and beyond for the team to win any games. And every season fans question whether he's the guy or he's not the guy, whether our ceiling is limited because of him or whether we can win with him as the best player or whatever. I'm sure you were aware of the labels and comments that got thrown onto Book as early as his second season when he started coming into his own as an NBA player

Rookie season: Kid has some scoring chops but he's not going to be a great scorer or anything
2nd season: Oh k so he's a decent scorer but the kid is an inefficient chucker and of course the trash Suns team needs someone to score
3rd season: Oh k so he's league average in efficiency now and he can pass a little bit but still a volume scorer on a crap team.
4th season: Oh k so he's a top scorer in the league now, he's well above league average in efficiency and he's actually a triple threat with his passing but he can't win games as a poor man's James Harden impersonator
5th season: Oh k so he's still a top scorer but with historical efficiency, he's an all-star and the Suns aren't a rat team anymore but c'mon, they're never not going to be a good team with Booker
This season: Oh k so the Suns are lowkey kinda good but...

The fact is that this is the best Sun's team we've had in almost a decade and Booker is one of the two most important players on this team and he's absolutely a ceiling raiser.

I don't know whether you think this team is a contender or not right now but he's been here, at every step and at every stage of the Sun's return to relevancy. He's proven doubters wrong season after season. I dunno if he's a #1 guy on a contending team but until we're a legit contender, I don't think we can make that call, especially when he has a history of being better every season and oh, for as long as he's been doing this, the kid only turned 24 like 4 months ago.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#685 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 4:23 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Adrao wrote:We really have a problem with Booker because he thinks he is better than he really is. If he is smart it's time to stop doing every kind of shots and "all-star" plays. Dear Devin, play easy, you are a good player but in a real contender you will never be the main star, maybe the second or third leg (more third than second).

Eh I feel like we have this discussion every season. From the all-star break onwards in Booker's rookie season, he's had to play above and beyond for the team to win any games. And every season fans question whether he's the guy or he's not the guy, whether our ceiling is limited because of him or whether we can win with him as the best player or whatever. I'm sure you were aware of the labels and comments that got thrown onto Book as early as his second season when he started coming into his own as an NBA player

Rookie season: Kid has some scoring chops but he's not going to be a great scorer or anything
2nd season: Oh k so he's a decent scorer but the kid is an inefficient chucker and of course the trash Suns team needs someone to score
3rd season: Oh k so he's league average in efficiency now and he can pass a little bit but still a volume scorer on a crap team.
4th season: Oh k so he's a top scorer in the league now, he's well above league average in efficiency and he's actually a triple threat with his passing but he can't win games as a poor man's James Harden impersonator
5th season: Oh k so he's still a top scorer but with historical efficiency, he's an all-star and the Suns aren't a rat team anymore but c'mon, they're never not going to be a good team with Booker

The fact is that this is the best Sun's team we've had in almost a decade and Booker is one of the two most important players on this team and he's absolutely a ceiling raiser.

I don't know whether you think this team is a contender or not right now but he's been here, at every step and at every stage of the Sun's return to relevancy. He's proven doubters wrong season after season. I dunno if he's a #1 guy on a contending team but until we're a legit contender, I don't think we can make that call, especially when he has a history of being better every season and oh, for as long as he's been doing this, the kid only turned 24 like 4 months ago.

A lot of good points. He really didn't become a solid offensive player until year 4...and in year 5 was solid as well, with better efficiency, but he has really regressed this year across the board, especially with the assists and turnovers...before tonight more turnovers than assists but now he probably has a few more assists. He started out playing some decent defense, but only plays it about 10% of the time now...mostly one on one and usually lost on off ball D.

When people say top option, I guess they mean scoring option, and maybe he can be...but likely not best player. He's not going to be a Lillard, Curry, Doncic, Harden, etc, on offense..he either lacks the shooting or the passing. Then without the defense it limits his impact overall. Now if Ayton keeps improving on D, he can clean a lot of that up, and Bridges being next to him helps immensely....if we can have a great defensive PG his whole career like Paul that will be good...and if we put the exact right role players around him like they did with Iverson that helps..he was able to win an MVP and get to the finals. He's not the passer Iverson was but he's a better scorer even though that's what people think of Iverson as.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#686 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 5:33 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

A lot of good points. He really didn't become a solid offensive player until year 4...and in year 5 was solid as well, with better efficiency, but he has really regressed this year across the board, especially with the assists and turnovers...before tonight more turnovers than assists but now he probably has a few more assists. He started out playing some decent defense, but only plays it about 10% of the time now...mostly one on one and usually lost on off ball D.

When people say top option, I guess they mean scoring option, and maybe he can be...but likely not best player. He's not going to be a Lillard, Curry, Doncic, Harden, etc, on offense..he either lacks the shooting or the passing. Then without the defense it limits his impact overall. Now if Ayton keeps improving on D, he can clean a lot of that up, and Bridges being next to him helps immensely....if we can have a great defensive PG his whole career like Paul that will be good...and if we put the exact right role players around him like they did with Iverson that helps..he was able to win an MVP and get to the finals. He's not the passer Iverson was but he's a better scorer even though that's what people think of Iverson as.

Let me just say that I was never and I'm still not some Booker homer. I like him and I still hold out belief that he can figure things out and continue to get better on the merit that he's proven many people, including myself wrong in the past. I think he's on the right trajectory despite the environment he's played in.

I think he can be the best scoring weapon on a team but maybe not necessarily the absolute best player on the team. As for guys like Dame, Doncic and Harden - bonafide best players on their teams, none of them have played in the Finals (Doncic could get there) and nobody does it alone. Harden might've been the closest to impersonating Iverson being the one guy that took every possession on offense and did so all the way to the West Finals but even then he got beat not by Steph but by a team of all-NBA guys. In today's NBA, being the team's best player is kinda like a participation award because someone has to be the best player and you can even be an all-NBA guy but to actually win and to be on an actual contender, it takes more than one guy being very good. So I'm not knocking guys like Harden and Dame who put at team on their back and actually went to the WCF's, that's a tough task but it takes more than one guy being an all-NBA guy to go far and I'm saying Booker can certainly be one of the guys on a team that can go far and he can even be the best player on a team with other very good players.

I just don't really subscribe to the narrative that Booker has been ruled out as the main guy already
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#687 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 5:47 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Eh I feel like we have this discussion every season. From the all-star break onwards in Booker's rookie season, he's had to play above and beyond for the team to win any games. And every season fans question whether he's the guy or he's not the guy, whether our ceiling is limited because of him or whether we can win with him as the best player or whatever. I'm sure you were aware of the labels and comments that got thrown onto Book as early as his second season when he started coming into his own as an NBA player

Let me just say that I was never and I'm still not some Booker homer. I like him and I still hold out belief that he can figure things out and continue to get better on the merit that he's proven many people, including myself wrong in the past. I think he's on the right trajectory despite the environment he's played in.

I think he can be the best scoring weapon on a team but maybe not necessarily the absolute best player on the team. As for guys like Dame, Doncic and Harden - bonafide best players on their teams, none of them have played in the Finals (Doncic could get there) and nobody does it alone. Harden might've been the closest to impersonating Iverson being the one guy that took every possession on offense and did so all the way to the West Finals but even then he got beat not by Steph but by a team of all-NBA guys. In today's NBA, being the team's best player is kinda like a participation award because someone has to be the best player and you can even be an all-NBA guy but to actually win and to be on an actual contender, it takes more than one guy being very good. So I'm not knocking guys like Harden and Dame who put at team on their back and actually went to the WCF's, that's a tough task but it takes more than one guy being an all-NBA guy to go far and I'm saying Booker can certainly be one of the guys on a team that can go far and he can even be the best player on a team with other very good players.

I just don't really subscribe to the narrative that Booker has been ruled out as the main guy already

Well he is the main guy right now and has been for 6 years. I wasn't talking championship. Harden, Lillard, Curry, have all gotten their teams to the WCF or further as being the best player. Lillard doesn't have quite the talent around him, and it also has to do with competition. No one was going to beat that Warriors team....Harden (had Paul been healthy) may have given they had a 3-2 lead before Paul went down.

Doncic was the front runner for MVP early and was 1st team All NBA in his 2nd year. He is an unprecedented player. I think the last player to do that was Duncan who was a 4 year college player.

Booker can be the best player on a team....just not sure how good that team will be. Some have said they think he's better than Paul, or at least equal. I don't even see that, even with Paul's age. I think Paul has him in most every category outside of maybe a couple of categories...and those are maybes, like getting to the rim and mid range iso...Paul was probably better at that last year. Booker is a better 3 pt shooter this year but still not that good, but Paul is a better 3pt shooter for his career and there is a good chance he passes him up. Then passing and defense, steals, charges, hustle, etc...the little things...bbiq....I mean I don't think it is that close.

Booker made an impressive jump in years 4 and 5. This year he is regressing some....some may be getting used to Paul...so we will see.

Ayton, for example, is a better all around player than Book was as a 3rd year player. Book was a better scorer (by volume) but that's about it. Ayton has a lot more impact and team impact, but expectations seem to be a lot higher.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,830

Post#688 » by Saberestar » Mon Feb 8, 2021 1:19 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Booker made an impressive jump in years 4 and 5. This year he is regressing some....some may be getting used to Paul...so we will see.

Ayton, for example, is a better all around player than Book was as a 3rd year player. Book was a better scorer (by volume) but that's about it. Ayton has a lot more impact and team impact, but expectations seem to be a lot higher.

I think that Booker was the better all around player comparing their third seasons in the league... and it is not even close.

That third season Booker showed that he could create his own shot whenever he wanted and against anybody efficiently and he did it getting a ton of attention from rival defenses.

That skill is the most valuable skill in this sport and the most difficult to obtain in FA, trade or draft for any team.

That is why Booker got his max extension at the end of that season and his contract is considered a good one around the league.

Ayton is already a good starting C and I am OK with that, but with Booker anyone who saw it closely during his third season could understand that he was an All Star in the making for years to come.

Talking about this season, Booker has improved clearly on defense, he is better in steals and blocks and he is more active and engaged on that side of the court. Our team is Top #5 on defense with him playing 35 mpg.

And he has shown on close games that he has that IT factor. He did it again yesterday.

He scored the most important basket after CP3 could not score in the play before and we were winning just by three.

Read on Twitter

He will be a well deserved All Star again this season. I am pretty sure about it with our winning record and solid playoff spot.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#689 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:22 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Booker made an impressive jump in years 4 and 5. This year he is regressing some....some may be getting used to Paul...so we will see.

I think that Booker was the better all around player comparing their third seasons in the league... and it is not even close.

That third season Booker showed that he could create his own shot whenever he wanted and against anybody efficiently and he did it getting a ton of attention from rival defenses.

That skill is the most valuable skill in this sport and the most difficult to obtain in FA, trade or draft for any team.

That is why Booker got his max extension at the end of that season and his contract is considered a good one around the league.

Ayton is already a good starting C and I am OK with that, but with Booker anyone who saw it closely during his third season could understand that he was an All Star in the making for years to come.

Talking about this season, Booker has improved clearly on defense, he is better in steals and blocks and he is more active and engaged on that side of the court. Our team is Top #5 on defense with him playing 35 mpg.

And he has shown on close games that he has that IT factor. He did it again yesterday.

He scored the most important basket after CP3 could not score in the play before and we were winning just by three.

Read on Twitter

He will be a well deserved All Star again this season. I am pretty sure about it with our winning record and solid playoff spot.

I agree with his defense slightly improving, but it's still not good by any means overall. In his 3rd year he wasn't that good, which is why no one outside of Suns fans and management thought much of him. They thought of him as a volume scorer who didn't do much else and was one of the worst defenders in the NBA. He didn't have that good of efficiency.

I think his max was more due to us not having had a good player in years, and he was proven to be a good player.

Now in year 4 he REALLY stepped up, and even a little moreso last year. This year he has regressed to maybe a little below year 4 overall..or maybe about the same.

Yes, he did get the injury replacement all star last season in part due to a bunch of other injuries, and it was nice.

With Harden and KD moving that helps for this year. Though there are guys that people might think are more deserving like Fox and Ja and of course Curry is back. Houston has all star caliber players but they may not play enough games.

I don't know where we will be in the standings but I don't think he is playing at an all star level this year with his regressed scoring numbers and especially regressed assists and increased turnovers. Do you think he solely makes it because our team is better, even though he regressed on offense when he barely made it last year? I guess it might be partial to name recognition.

I wouldn't be that shocked if Paul made it. I think he's played better overall this season, though I know he has a lot of people who don't think he's that good.
Preacherpj
Junior
And1: 310

Post#690 » by Preacherpj » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:39 pm

Booker has been a little down this year, but I'm still shocked at the level of criticism that gets sent his way. The guy is an elite-level offensive player, and it seems like most players in the league agree.

Chris Paul doesn't come here if he isn't fully onboard with Booker's game and what he can do. I'd suggest using a larger sample size than this season when judging him.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#691 » by Saberestar » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:42 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

Read on Twitter

I agree with his defense slightly improving, but it's still not good by any means overall. In his 3rd year he wasn't that good, which is why no one outside of Suns fans and management thought much of him. They thought of him as a volume scorer who didn't do much else and was one of the worst defenders in the NBA. He didn't have that good of efficiency.

I think his max was more due to us not having had a good player in years, and he was proven to be a good player.

Now in year 4 he REALLY stepped up, and even a little moreso last year. This year he has regressed to maybe a little below year 4 overall..or maybe about the same.

Yes, he did get the injury replacement all star last season in part due to a bunch of other injuries, and it was nice.

With Harden and KD moving that helps for this year. Though there are guys that people might think are more deserving like Fox and Ja and of course Curry is back. Houston has all star caliber players but they may not play enough games.

I don't know where we will be in the standings but I don't think he is playing at an all star level this year with his regressed scoring numbers and especially regressed assists and increased turnovers. Do you think he solely makes it because our team is better, even though he regressed on offense when he barely made it last year? I guess it might be partial to name recognition.

I wouldn't be that shocked if Paul made it. I think he's played better overall this season, though I know he has a lot of people who don't think he's that good.

He has not regressed, he is playing better on defense than ever and we have more scoring options than in the last couple of years, that is why he is "only" scoring 22.8 ppg on .581 TS%.

He averages 3.9 TOs per game this season and he averaged 4.1 in 2019 and 3.8 in 2020...so no, he has not increased his turnovers.

He averages 4.1 assists, and that is truly less than what he averaged the last couple of seasons, but I am pretty sure that is because he plays now next to CP3 who averages 8.2 and has a ball more time in his hands. And we didn't have Cam Payne before, and that is another player that plays as a pure PG out there. But I think his assists numbers will go up a bit during the season, not a big deal.

I think he will make the All Star team basically because he is one of the best perimeter players in the Western Conference. And obviously it will help that we are winning and we are a playoff team.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#692 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:08 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:I think that Booker was the better all around player comparing their third seasons in the league... and it is not even close.

Read on Twitter

He has not regressed, he is playing better on defense than ever and we have more scoring options than in the last couple of years, that is why he is "only" scoring 22.8 ppg on .581 TS%.

He averages 3.9 TOs per game this season and he averaged 4.1 in 2019 and 3.8 in 2020...so no, he has not increased his turnovers.

He averages 4.1 assists, and that is truly less than what he averaged the last couple of seasons, but I am pretty sure that is because he plays now next to CP3 who averages 8.2 and has a ball more time in his hands. And we didn't have Cam Payne before, and that is another player that plays as a pure PG out there. But I think his assists numbers will go up a bit during the season, not a big deal.

I think he will make the All Star team basically because he is one of the best perimeter players in the Western Conference. And obviously it will help that we are winning and we are a playoff team.

OK, he was averaging more turnovers before last night's game and fewer assists, before the 11. However what I mean by turnovers was in relation to assists. When setting guys up, he is turning it over more often in relation to how often he is assisting them.

Anyway, the .581 TS% is pretty nice, given the points, a little above avg. His BPM is negative and his lowest since his 2nd year and his ORTG is his lowest since his rookie year.

His TS% is 35th among SG, though most of the high profile ones above him are in the east, luckily (just George (66%), McCollum (62%) and SGA (61.8%) ahead of him out of some of the bigger names.. If he was classified as a PG, it would be more like 15th, and only 4 high profile ones (Curry, Lillard, etc) in the west ahead of him, though guys like Fox, Ja and Paul are right behind him in TS% and of course have the assists too. For SFs, he would be like 27th, but again, most of the big names ahead of him are in the east.

He has a pretty good shot, especially if guys like Ja, Fox, Paul, Ingram and Zion don't make it.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#693 » by Bogyo » Tue Feb 9, 2021 8:21 am

I guess Book realized that he ain't dead sure for the All-Star nomination with the way he's been playing. So he turned it up a notch in the last few games. Good.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#694 » by Saberestar » Tue Feb 9, 2021 4:10 pm

That is an MVP performance. Ridiculous.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#695 » by bwgood77 » Tue Feb 9, 2021 5:07 pm

Bogyo wrote:I guess Book realized that he ain't dead sure for the All-Star nomination with the way he's been playing. So he turned it up a notch in the last few games. Good.

Yeah, with games like last night he is a shoe in...and the game prior was nice too. He continues games like that and we keep winning he will make it.

It will be interesting to see where the Kings, Grizz and Pelicans are when voting comes out for Fox, Ja and Ingram. McCollum is deserving too but seems to get ignored.
Adrao
Junior
And1: 195

Post#696 » by Adrao » Tue Feb 9, 2021 5:15 pm

This is the kind of player we can trust on. I wish he can show this level regularly and I'll be happy to eat all my words with barbecue sauce. XD
Revived
RealGM

Post#697 » by Revived » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:36 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:I guess Book realized that he ain't dead sure for the All-Star nomination with the way he's been playing. So he turned it up a notch in the last few games. Good.

Yeah, with games like last night he is a shoe in...and the game prior was nice too. He continues games like that and we keep winning he will make it.

It will be interesting to see where the Kings, Grizz and Pelicans are when voting comes out for Fox, Ja and Ingram. McCollum is deserving too but seems to get ignored.

McCollum is probably the most underrated player in the entire league. Been a fan of his since his time at Lehigh and I know his brother a bit as well. CJ is probably one of the smarter players off the court as well.

I think he could've thrived in as the primary scorer SG with a bunch of 3 & D guys around him like Houston had with Harden. He isn't quite the passer Harden is but still good there though he doesn't get to show it as Lillard is the main playmaker in Portland.

If he didn't get injured then McCollum absolutely should've been an All Star. But now it's a maybe. Fox definitely should get in as well imo.

I have Booker over Ja and Ingram though for now.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#698 » by bwgood77 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:42 am

Revived wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

McCollum is probably the most underrated player in the entire league. Been a fan of his since his time at Lehigh and I know his brother a bit as well. CJ is probably one of the smarter players off the court as well.

I think he could've thrived in as the primary scorer SG with a bunch of 3 & D guys around him like Houston had with Harden. He isn't quite the passer Harden is but still good there though he doesn't get to show it as Lillard is the main playmaker in Portland.

If he didn't get injured then McCollum absolutely should've been an All Star. But now it's a maybe. Fox definitely should get in as well imo.

Yeah, McCollum's had the best season of the bunch. Not sure how serious his injury is though.
Revived
RealGM

Post#699 » by Revived » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:45 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Revived wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Yeah, McCollum's had the best season of the bunch. Not sure how serious his injury is though.

It was announced on Jan 19th that he will be reevaluated in 4 weeks. With our luck, he'll probably come back the day we play them on the 22nd.
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,764

Post#700 » by matt131 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:37 pm

Return to Phoenix Suns