bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Re: 2018 Free Agency and Trade Discussion continued 

Post#1961 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 7, 2018 1:36 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I think Riley is asking for a lot, perhaps one of our young pieces or a pick. I would say no too if they came asking for Bender, JJ, top 10 protected pick etc.

He definitely sounds like a fallback option if all else fails.

Not sure why people think he's readily available...well I guess I do...Gambo, but it's amazing how many people buy that stuff. Maybe for like a top 3 protected first and pieces. I'd trust any info surrounding him more from their media people than ours. https://heatnation.com/rumors/heat-insider-explains-deal-goran-dragic/

Plus it's not worth killing our cap space for him and then having to give him another contract in his mid 30s or lose them but not really gain cap space because Booker's extension has kicked in.

Maybe he is, maybe he's not. But if he is, which probably isn't a huge leap to believe he is, then I think Riley would be asking for something valuable in return. I don't think they are desperate to move him or even need to but I think they are probably in the testing the market stage at the moment.

What makes you surmise it is reasonable to think he would be on the table ignoring the reports that originated from Gambo? Do you think they are confident Tyler Johnson can take over without much of a drop off?
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,815

Post#1962 » by Saberestar » Fri Sep 7, 2018 1:39 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
TheLogician wrote:We must be talking to multiple teams if Dragic is available and we haven't pulled the trigger. I think he's our fallback option, tbh.

I think Riley is asking for a lot, perhaps one of our young pieces or a pick. I would say no too if they came asking for Bender, JJ, top 10 protected pick etc.

Not sure why people think he's readily available...well I guess I do...Gambo, but it's amazing how many people buy that stuff. Maybe for like a top 3 protected first and pieces. I'd trust any info surrounding him more from their media people than ours. https://heatnation.com/rumors/heat-insider-explains-deal-goran-dragic/

Plus it's not worth killing our cap space for him and then having to give him another contract in his mid 30s or lose them but not really gain cap space because Booker's extension has kicked in.

And do you believe that we are gonna be able to sign a FA better than Dragic?

Dragic is NOW an All Star player. He has played terrific basketball this last season, first with his national team being MVP of the tournament that Slovenia won and then with the Heat being their best player and putting them in the playoffs.

I think it is strange that some fans do not care about signing a role player like Ariza when he is 33 years old but do not want to trade for an All Star PG who has roots with the team and loves our new HC because he is 32 years old.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1963 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 7, 2018 1:52 am

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I think Riley is asking for a lot, perhaps one of our young pieces or a pick. I would say no too if they came asking for Bender, JJ, top 10 protected pick etc.

Dragic is NOW an All Star player. He has played terrific basketball this last season, first with his national team being MVP of the tournament that Slovenia won and then with the Heat being their best player and putting them in the playoffs.

I think it is strange that some fans do not care about signing a role player like Ariza when he is 33 years old but do not want to trade for an All Star PG who has roots with the team and loves our new HC because he is 32 years old.

Actually, I don't necessarily think that we will sign a better one than him, but it's possible. But the main thing is, I think we would have to trade one of our own firsts, likely with limited protection for Dragic. I don't think he's whatsoever available for scraps. I don't even think they take Jackson for him since they have Winslow who is similar but is a better defender and just shot 38% from 3.

Yes, they would want cap relief, and probably a lightly or unprotected first and Okobo.

I just don't think I'd do something like that. I lotto protected pick, even if it rolled forward for a few years that turned into two seconds if not conveyed after a while and Melton with cap relief I could live with.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#1964 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Sep 7, 2018 1:53 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Maybe he is, maybe he's not. But if he is, which probably isn't a huge leap to believe he is, then I think Riley would be asking for something valuable in return. I don't think they are desperate to move him or even need to but I think they are probably in the testing the market stage at the moment.

What makes you surmise it is reasonable to think he would be on the table ignoring the reports that originated from Gambo? Do you think they are confident Tyler Johnson can take over without much of a drop off?

Ignoring Gambo's comment which could just be his opinion, I've been looking at Miami's situation for a couple of seasons now and I do think they've overachieved which isn't a huge surprise considering how weak the East has been. But while Lebron has finally moved West, the emergence of Toronto with Kawhi, Boston, Philly and now even the Pacers and the Bucks makes things difficult for them for them to break into a top 4-6 spot in the East. With how capped out they are for at least another season, lacking in any real future pieces and the talent quickly dropping off, I think it's time for them to start selling some of those pieces that definitely doesn't have long term prospects with the team (e.g Dragic, Whiteside) and try and rebuild on the fly.

This is essentially the team that won 48 games 3 seasons ago except they don't have the Wade's and Bosh's anymore and the role players from then (Dragic, Whiteside) are now the 'stars' of today's team except they are older and less impactful. Maybe they are happy to just keep chugging with a 6, 7, 8, MAYBE 5th seed, I just don't know where this team is going with what they have now.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1965 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 7, 2018 1:59 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Maybe he is, maybe he's not. But if he is, which probably isn't a huge leap to believe he is, then I think Riley would be asking for something valuable in return. I don't think they are desperate to move him or even need to but I think they are probably in the testing the market stage at the moment.

Ignoring Gambo's comment which could just be his opinion, I've been looking at Miami's situation for a couple of seasons now and I do think they've overachieved which isn't a huge surprise considering how weak the East has been. But while Lebron has finally moved West, the emergence of Toronto with Kawhi, Boston, Philly and now even the Pacers and the Bucks makes things difficult for them for them to break into a top 4-6 spot in the East. With how capped out they are for at least another season, lacking in any real future pieces and the talent quickly dropping off, I think it's time for them to start selling some of those pieces that definitely doesn't have long term prospects with the team (e.g Dragic, Whiteside) and try and rebuild on the fly.

This is essentially the team that won 48 games 3 seasons ago except they don't have the Wade's and Bosh's anymore and the role players from then (Dragic, Whiteside) are now the 'stars' of today's team except they are older and less impactful. Maybe they are happy to just keep chugging with a 6, 7, 8, MAYBE 5th seed, I just don't know where this team is going with what they have now.

If they can get young pieces and picks in return it makes sense. They don't seem like a team that wants to really bottom out for a rebuild (which is kind of hard to do in the east anyway) and I think they have enough decent young talent that would keep them semi competitive regardless. But if they could get cap relief, a nice first rounder and a prospect maybe they would consider if they are that confident in Tyler Johnson. I'm not sure how confident in him they are, though they did match a big offer sheet a while back.

He doesn't seem like a PG though...more of a combo one.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1966 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Sep 7, 2018 2:08 am

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Those are completely different situations. The reason why Ariza's signing was inconsequential is because he's only on a one year deal and our plan of being players in the 2019 FA market still stands. The point of the 2019 FA market is to get a piece that will have a real impact for at least the medium term future. I think Dragic will be a near all-star level player next season but if the difference is signing a PG who is still young, still has potential and will impact the game or Dragic who may be declining and doesn't really have a long term future with the Suns (turns 33 shortly before the end of the season), I'd take my chances on the market. I'd be totally against the Ariza signing even if it was a 2yr deal just because it takes away our last opportunity to have substantial cap space. If you have a look at the list of FA PG's next season, we're talking about Rubio, Lin, Walker, Collison, Cory Joseph, Rozier, Delon Wright, Tyus Jones, Brogdon, TJ McConnell, Dinwiddie and Trey Burke to name a few.

I'm not against Dragic coming back, I really like his fit and him as a player and individual but looking long term, I don't think he makes sense especially if he doesn't really have a future with us AND he takes away our likely last opportunity to get a piece that WILL (hopefully) have a future with us.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1967 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Sep 7, 2018 2:14 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

If they can get young pieces and picks in return it makes sense. They don't seem like a team that wants to really bottom out for a rebuild (which is kind of hard to do in the east anyway) and I think they have enough decent young talent that would keep them semi competitive regardless. But if they could get cap relief, a nice first rounder and a prospect maybe they would consider if they are that confident in Tyler Johnson. I'm not sure how confident in him they are, though they did match a big offer sheet a while back.

I don't think they want to bottom out which is why I'm suggesting they might want to rebuild on the fly by moving players like Dragic ($19m) and Whiteside ($27m) while keeping everyone else who are solid role players imo. IF they can get some cap relief, they could be players in FA as soon as 2019. With their set of role players and a star signings, that could be their quick rebuild.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,815

Post#1968 » by Saberestar » Fri Sep 7, 2018 2:32 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Those are completely different situations. The reason why Ariza's signing was inconsequential is because he's only on a one year deal and our plan of being players in the 2019 FA market still stands. The point of the 2019 FA market is to get a piece that will have a real impact for at least the medium term future. I think Dragic will be a near all-star level player next season but if the difference is signing a PG who is still young, still has potential and will impact the game or Dragic who may be declining and doesn't really have a long term future with the Suns (turns 33 shortly before the end of the season), I'd take my chances on the market. I'd be totally against the Ariza signing even if it was a 2yr deal just because it takes away our last opportunity to have substantial cap space. If you have a look at the list of FA PG's next season, we're talking about Rubio, Lin, Walker, Collison, Cory Joseph, Rozier, Delon Wright, Tyus Jones, Brogdon, TJ McConnell, Dinwiddie and Trey Burke to name a few.

I'm not against Dragic coming back, I really like his fit and him as a player and individual but looking long term, I don't think he makes sense especially if he doesn't really have a future with us AND he takes away our likely last opportunity to get a piece that WILL (hopefully) have a future with us.

The thing is that every "next year" we are gonna try to sign a big time FA, but we can not sign anyone because we are not a FA market or contender.

So we sign players like Chandler, Dudley or Ariza. Veteran solid role players that renounce to play for contenders because their salary is much bigger on the Suns.

I would prefer to trade for Dragic now and stay away of that dreaming of chasing great FAs next season.

Look that list of PGs that you wrote...who is better than Dragic? Probably only Kemba, and I am not sure about it.

I would offer to the Heat our 2019 pick (Top #3 protected), Melton and Chandler.

We do not need more young players and we would have the Bucks pick yet.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1969 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 7, 2018 2:54 am

Saberestar wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:And do you believe that we are gonna be able to sign a FA better than Dragic?

The thing is that every "next year" we are gonna try to sign a big time FA, but we can not sign anyone because we are not a FA market or contender.

So we sign players like Chandler, Dudley or Ariza. Veteran solid role players that renounce to play for contenders because their salary is much bigger on the Suns.

I would prefer to trade for Dragic now and stay away of that dreaming of chasing great FAs next season.

Look that list of PGs that you wrote...who is better than Dragic? Probably only Kemba, and I am not sure about it.

I would offer to the Heat our 2019 pick (Top #3 protected), Melton and Chandler.

I think if you trade any picks, even if you think you will make the playoffs, you should still top 4 protect them every year until it conveys (at a minimum). With the lottery being 4 spots, top 3 needs to change to top 4.

Ideally I would do like top 10 next year, top 7 the following year, and top 4 for as long as they wanted until it changes into 2 seconds. (That's not really ideally though...ideally it would be like top 10 until it conveyed but that's less realistic.)

I think Rubio could easily be better than Dragic going forward especially if his shot is fixed. I won't buy it until I see it for a full year, but he's a guy where it makes sense now that he played for coaches who encouraged him to shoot and he shot 47% from 3 after that, because he was always a very very good FT shooter. And he's a much better passer and defender than Dragic. I don't know if he'd leave Utah but we could offer him a lot and there would be no reason not to because we won't have cap space going forward regardless of how much we pay him...again, I only offer him a lot if his shooting held up this coming year.

And I think Collison is a better fit and probably almost as good as Dragic going forward, but I think Indy may try and keep him since they have a good thing going and a ton of cap space. I know they drafted Holiday, but why give up on success, especially if it happens two years in a row?

I'd go for Tyus Jones too if his numbers hold up. He has one of the best RPMs in the league. He's WAY better than people think. Not sure if Minnesota would let him go, especially if they lose Butler, considering Teague only would have a year left and they play better with Jones, but he's good.

Brogdon's really good, but I don't think they will let him get away. TJ would be a guy you could get if you overpaid, but I do expect our prospects to get to his level. Next summer if our prospects don't look good and we can't sign any bigger names, I might give TJ a decent contract, but he's not probably a starter on a solid playoff team. Maybe though. I have always really liked him, ever since his days at AZ.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1970 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Sep 7, 2018 3:14 am

Saberestar wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:And do you believe that we are gonna be able to sign a FA better than Dragic?

Oh I get it. It sucks having missed out the last few seasons. But if this is the last opportunity of real cap space for some time and arguably marking the 'end' of the Timeline, you might as well give it one last shot. You could get Dragic any time, hell we could conceivably sign Dragic to an MLE when he's up for a new deal if you want.

Those players might not have the all-star tag but given their age, their impact and Dragic's likely having peaked and is now beginning his decline, so you're really only signing Dragic for maybe another season of All-star level production. And then what comes of Dragic at the end of his deal? Do you resign the aging veteran or do you let him walk which means you've essentially bought 2yrs of Dragic with that cap space. The question isn't who's better than Dragic now. It's about who's better than 33, 34, 35 year old Dragic. How long do you realistically want to see Dragic on the payroll?

It just doesn't make sense to look at Dragic because he's not a long term solution and we've kept cap space all these years for a long term solution.
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,356

Post#1971 » by AtheJ415 » Fri Sep 7, 2018 6:17 am

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Goran is not an all star in the West. Knight was nearly an all star in the East not that long ago, and the shift has been even more slanted since then towards the West and away from the East.

Goran is a solid player no doubt, and he's a top 45 player in the league, which is valuable, but I would put him 3rd in terms of raw ability plus upside of the guys who might be available. I'd take Lillard first, because he's a legit top 10 player last year, if not top 5. I think Russell's upside makes DLo a better get. I think Goran is firmly there with Kemba for 3/4, but I have a hard time even arguing they are top 10 PGs in the league, though they are both really good players and PG competition is brutal at the top.

Getting Goran would undoubtedly make us better, and maybe he can return to his form under Hornacek, but he has not been good relative to expectations and salary overall in Miami, and if you are Phoenix, I am not sure you can sacrifice the next FA offseason, which is the most important for us in years, just to get him and win a bit more now. I would be okay with that for Lillard, or for gambling on DLo's upside, but for Goran, unlike Kemba and Hill and others, he is locked in to a 2 year deal because he is not turning down that extra year if his agent has at least half a brain.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#1972 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Sep 7, 2018 7:12 am

bigfoot wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
ChrisInAZ wrote:
According to the Morey is a God or just foil covered Rocket fans...Ariza's signing is a scheme or a scam in effort to circumvent tax implications, and he'll simply be back in Houston when it matters. A scheme if the Suns are knowingly involved. A scam if the Suns are being played.

Conspiracy! It's breakfast for America 2018, don't ya know (chuckle 'n gack)

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nba/houston-rockets-trade-ryan-anderson-daryl-morey-analysis-2018
So what’s next? What are the NBA schemers up to?

Remember: Morey doesn’t grow trees, he plants seeds.

By finding a suitor for Anderson’s monstrous contract, the Rockets just saved themselves ~$3 million in cap space after you add Knight’s 2018-19 contract ($14.6 million) with Chriss’ ($3.2 million).

Their luxury-tax bill just dropped by 28% from $20.4M to $14.7M…

And the last time I checked: Trevor Ariza, one of the most important players on the Rockets’ 65-win team last season, signed a one-year, $15 million contract with the Suns as an unrestricted free agent this summer.

What if … just saying … what if Morey told Ariza to go get his bag from the Suns, make sure you commit for only one year, and try his best to get waived before the March deadline? Morey would then scoop him up with the space created in this deal announced last night, unless he uses it on someone else first.

Read on Twitter
?

Is it a wild conspiracy theory that Morey has had this plan since Day 1 and Ariza is one of his many pawns? Yes...

..At some point, the Suns are just going to say “f*** it” and run out all their young draft picks for 35 minutes a game. Between Devin Booker, DeAndre Ayton, Mikal Bridges, Dragan Bender, Josh Jackson, and TJ Warren, this roster is stacked with guys who can be franchise-foundation players for a long time and need to spread their wings as much as possible.

Subsequently, Ariza and Anderson would head to the bench, and it just makes too much sense for Phoenix to waive Ariza, save a couple million dollars in a buyout negotiation and let him sign elsewhere as they #TryonForZion.

More via twitter + acolytes...
https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet/1035379934359904257

Yes, I saw it brought up in the GB thread and it's ridiculous. I won't be surprised if he ends up back with them. And we get Tucker back. It was funny reading that thread though....I remember people wanting Tucker gone so bad so Warren could start.....and then finally we trade him for a couple of very late 2nds. And then he signs with a team who becomes the best team in the league, led by our ex coach, who replaced a sniper with Tucker....the guy who many thought was trash....and then we, our current Suns, end up with the guy he replaced, who they say he will be a starter. I went through this whole thought process after I posted in that thread that Anderson was a starter for the best team in the league, and someone said "He lost that job and was never earning it back."

All the cries to get rid of Tucker have turned into the cries of get rid of Warren. :banghead:

I think we all like Warren. But you have to trade something good to get something good. Warren seems to make the most sense since we just got Ariza, we gave up so much to get Mikal, and Josh has more potential. It was still the right thing to do to trade Tucker. He wasn’t going to resign with us and we got some return while losing more games.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#1973 » by BobbieL » Fri Sep 7, 2018 1:19 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Ignoring Gambo's comment which could just be his opinion, I've been looking at Miami's situation for a couple of seasons now and I do think they've overachieved which isn't a huge surprise considering how weak the East has been. But while Lebron has finally moved West, the emergence of Toronto with Kawhi, Boston, Philly and now even the Pacers and the Bucks makes things difficult for them for them to break into a top 4-6 spot in the East. With how capped out they are for at least another season, lacking in any real future pieces and the talent quickly dropping off, I think it's time for them to start selling some of those pieces that definitely doesn't have long term prospects with the team (e.g Dragic, Whiteside) and try and rebuild on the fly.

I don't think they want to bottom out which is why I'm suggesting they might want to rebuild on the fly by moving players like Dragic ($19m) and Whiteside ($27m) while keeping everyone else who are solid role players imo. IF they can get some cap relief, they could be players in FA as soon as 2019. With their set of role players and a star signings, that could be their quick rebuild.

My problem with a potential Goran trade is more that would Riley want to attach a bad contract to the Suns to clear cap space more than just Goran eating $19m of cap space next summer. The way I look at a Goran trade is two parts

1) Goran for say Chandler, Daniels Okobo or Melton and either the Bucks pick or lottery protected Suns pick
---- I think I would be fine with that deal

2) Riley wanting to offload a bad contract, James Johnson, Dion Waiters, Tyler Johnson, - thats the part that really eats into cap space next year. My guess is Riley would want say Arthur and Reed for this deal to make the numbers work. Riley would get many expirings, a young guard and a draft pick to have the chance at open cap space next summer.

I am fine with taking Goran and eating up 65-75% of cap next summer - just not sure any of those other players are worth the cap space lost.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#1974 » by Fo-Real » Fri Sep 7, 2018 2:17 pm

Question for the board. Is Goran too much of a me first/ scoring point guard to fit properly next to Booker?
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,152

Post#1975 » by spanishninja » Fri Sep 7, 2018 3:40 pm

Fo-Real wrote:Question for the board. Is Goran too much of a me first/ scoring point guard to fit properly next to Booker?

I think the part where he needs the ball to be effective is more important, not necessarily that he scores. As for how it impacts Booker, it would of course depend on how willing HE is to play off-ball (everything we have heard indicates that he's cool with it).
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,720

Post#1976 » by the_process » Fri Sep 7, 2018 4:51 pm

Would you guys be interested in TJ McConnell? And what would you be willing to trade for him?
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#1977 » by bigfoot » Fri Sep 7, 2018 4:55 pm

the_process wrote:Would you guys be interested in TJ McConnell? And what would you be willing to trade for him?

Many of us are interested in McConnell. Just don't think he's available. Also, its too bad he is a UFA ... that limits the offers the sixers could get because there is no guarantee he would sign up with us.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,720

Post#1978 » by the_process » Fri Sep 7, 2018 5:12 pm

bigfoot wrote:
the_process wrote:Would you guys be interested in TJ McConnell? And what would you be willing to trade for him?

Many of us are interested in McConnell. Just don't think he's available. Also, its too bad he is a UFA ... that limits the offers the sixers could get because there is no guarantee he would sign up with us.

I think the Sixers could move McConnell, but it’s very unlikely until they see where Fultz is. Assume it’s 10 games in, Fultz looks fine, and you guys could use another ball handler... what offer then?
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#1979 » by bigfoot » Fri Sep 7, 2018 5:20 pm

the_process wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

I think the Sixers could move McConnell, but it’s very unlikely until they see where Fultz is. Assume it’s 10 games in, Fultz looks fine, and you guys could use another ball handler... what offer then?

At that point you are saying he's a third string player on a playoff team who is a UFA on a less than one year loan. A couple of future second round picks maybe. Other wise better to try and sign him next year and not give up anything.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#1980 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Sep 7, 2018 5:22 pm

the_process wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

I think it's unlikely that we go into the season with the group of PGs we have. But if we do, then the only way we'll be looking to trade for McConnell is if Shaq/Okobo/Melton[/Booker/Jackson] don't look up to the task of manning the position. And frankly, I think Shaq may be the better player. Only player with a positive +/- for us last season. TJ, despite being on a winning team, did not have a positive +/-.

I think TJ is a backup. We have backups. We need a starter. Not saying I'm foreclosed to adding TJ, but I'm just not sure he's the caliber of player we need.

Return to Phoenix Suns