ImageImageImage

Oh Bobby... Robert Sarver Rants Here.

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bhawk
Pro Prospect
And1: 713

Oh Bobby... Robert Sarver Rants Here. 

Post#1 » by bhawk » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:38 am

Robert Sarver reminds me of the Francis character in Stripes.

“If anyone touches my draft picks, I’ll KILL you.”
“Lighten up, Bobby.”

Isn’t that what the PHX Suns feels like on the eve of the 2018-19 season? Fear is reverberating through TSRA, and I can feel it as a casual PHX Suns fan all the way up in Denver, CO.

With basketball moves like firing McD 8 days before the season and without any real warning to the greater public, Robert Sarver has thrust himself into the PHX Suns spotlight yet again. He has become the MEAN face of the PHX Suns… and that’s NOT a good thing for this franchise.

Fans take as much pride in a quality front office as we do the end product on the basketball court. This is especially true of fans who frequent message boards and who post in forums and on Twitter… which, by the way, is how this new generation of millennial's is interacting with sports products.

Basketball fans like to feel like that they are “in the boat” with the leadership of an organization. We want a sympathetic FO who projects stability, confidence, good will and ultimately, that they are as loyal and supportive of the fans as we are to them.

Back to the Suns, Robert Sarver has become the rested angry face of the Suns franchise. He emerged from the temporary McD shield with last Monday’s whimsical and impulsive decision.

I was excited to cheer for our first #1 draft pick in the history of the Suns… instead… we have Robert "Francis" Sarver. I don’t know why Sarver made the McD decision 8 days before the season. I’ve listened to every piece of media and some takeaways:

1. This was Sarver’s decision alone. Duh.
a) Reminder: Sarver is a billionaire honey badger who doesn’t have to answer to ANYONE.
2. Sarver seemed pomp, short and defensive in his interview.
a) Owning a losing franchise cannot be easy.
b) Didn’t treat Gambo and Ashe with a ton of respect or thankfulness.
c) Didn’t sympathize with the fans and or acknowledge how a move like this kills confidence.
d) He did not endear himself to the PHX Suns fans.
3. James Jones is young, scared and a pawn for Sarver.
a) He is paying his dues and working as a basketball GM for a billionaire. Nice digs.
b) Everything JJ said reeks of Sarver pulling the puppet strings in the background.

Sarver’s primary business interest is now your PHX Suns. It is a franchise that is currently perceived as impatient, cheap, dysfunctional and suffocating. I worry that it will get worse without a proper GM and “check and balance” system. Certainly, the signing of Jamal Crawford reminds me of the Hakim Warrick and Beasley years. Let’s hope that Crawford turns out better.

Sarver bought the Suns franchise and he can do what he wants. But man, he has to do better than a foam finger. Humor us, Bobby. How about a sincere apology and reflection that you’ve made mistakes and are truly committed to turning this franchise around? If you are going to be the face of the franchise, why not smile a little? Reinvent yourself and stop scaring the help.

Enable your employees to make good decisions. Encourage honest discussion and opinions. This is not a bank. You are not managing money. The Suns should NOT be a dictatorship. The Suns are a SPORTS FRANCHISE that sells ENTERTAINMENT!

The PHX Suns should be a people-centric democracy. Keep your employees, coaches and players happy. Invest in them. Have some fun. Change the culture and you will be rewarded with a winning franchise. Success starts with your good will and your ability to adapt to a business that is not a stuffy old-man bank. Surround yourself with good positive people and enable and encourage them do their job. The Suns are a direct reflection on Robert Sarver’s leadership. Please do better.

From a Suns fans perspective, I’m looking forward to some great basketball from Ayton and Booker. We worked hard for those high draft picks and tanking is never easy. I’d like to see our youth develop and a 3rd or 4th player to emerge like JJ, Bender, Bridges.

I am blindly loyal to the PHX Suns and I enjoy following this organization. I am, however, not a Robert Sarver fan. He needs to do better. Oh… almost forgot… we still need a point guard. Thank you.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Re: Oh Bobby... Post your Robert Sarver Rants Here. 

Post#2 » by LukasBMW » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:34 am

Agree. Great post.

Sarver is a major problem. I'm not going to be happy until he is gone.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,163

Post#3 » by Frank Lee » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:51 am

Mr. Molehill.... I'd like you to meet Mr. Mountain.....
What ? Me Worry ?
Mischa
Junior
And1: 169

Post#4 » by Mischa » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:19 am

There was once country that accepted a leader and supported that country only because it was their country. By supporting the country they were supporting the leader. Now they're embarrassed to be associated with him and are the butt of world's jokes. They're now embarrassed of their culture.

You support a franchise that has a chump as it's owner, and by supporting that franchise, you are also supporting the chump.

This guy is the laughing stock of the owners ranks. which makes our franchise a laughing stock of basketball organizations. From Seattle, to Florida, to San Diego and Vermont, everyone is laughing at us and our owner.

That's partially your fault. you're helping pay his check which will only keep the douche around longer.

By going to games, watching games, and buying schwag, you are enabling the mediocrity to continue and helping wreck our once proud organization. Thanks for that.

Why do you hate the Suns? Why do you hate basketball?
Going hard with a new lease on life!
Moochthemonkey
Sixth Man
And1: 1,579

Post#5 » by Moochthemonkey » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:34 am

He's not a billionaire...his net worth is listed at $400 million. Find a new slant
Dambo
Senior
And1: 253

Post#6 » by Dambo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:26 am

FIRE McCoy!!!
oh wait..
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#7 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:38 pm

My in-depth analysis of his performance as an owner:

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,080

Post#8 » by RaisingArizona » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:49 pm

Mischa wrote:There was once country that accepted a leader and supported that country only because it was their country. By supporting the country they were supporting the leader. Now they're embarrassed to be associated with him and are the butt of world's jokes. They're now embarrassed of their culture.

You support a franchise that has a chump as it's owner, and by supporting that franchise, you are also supporting the chump.

This guy is the laughing stock of the owners ranks. which makes our franchise a laughing stock of basketball organizations. From Seattle, to Florida, to San Diego and Vermont, everyone is laughing at us and our owner.

That's partially your fault. you're helping pay his check which will only keep the douche around longer.

By going to games, watching games, and buying schwag, you are enabling the mediocrity to continue and helping wreck our once proud organization. Thanks for that.

Why should we have to change our watching habits because he sucks?
Mischa
Junior
And1: 169

Post#9 » by Mischa » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:42 am

RaisingArizona wrote:
Mischa wrote:There was once country that accepted a leader and supported that country only because it was their country. By supporting the country they were supporting the leader. Now they're embarrassed to be associated with him and are the butt of world's jokes. They're now embarrassed of their culture.

Why should we have to change our watching habits because he sucks?

You would be what Goebbels calls a perfect patsy.
Going hard with a new lease on life!
bhawk
Pro Prospect

Re: Oh Bobby... Robert Sarver Rants Here. 

Post#10 » by bhawk » Fri Nov 2, 2018 1:47 pm

I thought this deserved a repost in the Robert Rants...

Read on Twitter

Rested Angry Face

RaisingArizona
RealGM

Post#11 » by RaisingArizona » Fri Nov 2, 2018 1:58 pm

How does this guy not get heckled in the arena? Like how does he show his face when we're this bad on a nightly basis. Please don't tell me he cares about winning because his record shows otherwise.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#12 » by bwgood77 » Fri Nov 2, 2018 3:51 pm

RaisingArizona wrote:How does this guy not get heckled in the arena? Like how does he show his face when we're this bad on a nightly basis. Please don't tell me he cares about winning because his record shows otherwise.

Because he'd kick the fan(s) out.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#13 » by LukasBMW » Fri Nov 2, 2018 3:57 pm

I was actually thinking about having a forum member "Sarver Out" night.

Bring signs and start the "Sarver Out" chant. If we can get the entire arena to chant "Sarver Out" we'll get some attention.

Heckling and swearing at him from nearby seats is a sure way to get the boot as it violates arena rules, BUT starting a "SARVER OUT" chant is perfectly within the guidelines.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#14 » by bwgood77 » Fri Nov 2, 2018 4:14 pm

LukasBMW wrote:I was actually thinking about having a forum member "Sarver Out" night.

Bring signs and start the "Sarver Out" chant. If we can get the entire arena to chant "Sarver Out" we'll get some attention.

Heckling and swearing at him from nearby seats is a sure way to get the boot as it violates arena rules, BUT starting a "SARVER OUT" chant is perfectly within the guidelines.

All that and billboards are pointless. The guy owns the team. Time would be better spent trying to convince some billionaire to buy it.
RaisingArizona
RealGM

Post#15 » by RaisingArizona » Fri Nov 2, 2018 4:54 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:How does this guy not get heckled in the arena? Like how does he show his face when we're this bad on a nightly basis. Please don't tell me he cares about winning because his record shows otherwise.

Because he'd kick the fan(s) out.

I'd rather be kicked out when we're down 30 than continue to watch this.
JDJ26
Junior
And1: 484

Post#16 » by JDJ26 » Fri Nov 2, 2018 5:09 pm

LukasBMW wrote:I was actually thinking about having a forum member "Sarver Out" night.

That's not going to work. The only effective method is to hit him financially. Stop buying merch, stop buying tickets, stop watching games, etc.
bhawk
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by bhawk » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:18 pm

Whether or not Koko deserved more time and another season is not the question. The question is why hire any coach for only 1 season? Isn't this like 30 coaches in 2 years for the Suns? Oh and don't forget the 15 GMs in 4 years. Blame Sarver for all of it. Including Josh Jackson tweeting 3 coaches in 2 years.

I know the Suns aren't the only team to cut bait on a coach after 1 season, but the BIG PICTURE is the stability of the Suns organization under Sarver's leadership. The Suns org needs to enable and help the Suns coaches and players SUCCEED. 1 year for any coach is a joke. If Koko wasn't the guy, DON'T HIRE HIM in first place. Shouldn't they have known that Koko was flawed in the interview process? If there was any chance of him being a 1 and done, just don't hire the guy.

Let's hope that they get it right this time. And please lord no Jason Kidd. I may really quit the Suns this time if Kidd is coach. Sarver is bad enough, but Sarver and Kidd. Oh my, that would be a **** show.
sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,450

Post#18 » by sasquatchBob » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:27 am

How bad is it that I just checked Sarver's wiki page to see how old is he in hopes that he is old enough to have health problems and sell this franchise?
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,347

Post#19 » by Revived » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:00 am

JDJ26 wrote:

That's not going to work. The only effective method is to hit him financially. Stop buying merch, stop buying tickets, stop watching games, etc.

The first two is already being done and it’s made no difference.
handsome salary
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,112

Post#20 » by handsome salary » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:28 pm

Under his leadership the Suns devolved from a model franchise of basketball quality into a league laughingstock and hellish destination for players/coaches. His touch has ruined this team and there is nothing to be done about it.

Sarver's ownership is the absolute pit of despair. For any team. In any sports league.

This sign should hang above every entrance to the arena: "Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Return to Phoenix Suns