ImageImageImage

2019 Draft Discussion - Suns with 6th pick!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,467

Re: 2019 Draft Discussion - Suns with 6th pick! 

Post#1941 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:33 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
proedros1908 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I wish I knew how they would plan on trying to develop Culver. If the thought was to try to develop him as a quasi lead guard next to Booker that would be intriguing. Him and Bridges on either side of Booker would be the formation of a great defense and Culver is a smart player who I think could be a decent facilitator.

I should note while I like Culver the thought that he's Evan Turner 2.0 does scare me.

For awhile I liked the idea of Culver next to Booker since he can handle the ball and is a great defender. I just with he could shoot better. It was also a bit concerning when he played so poorly at times in some big games in the tourney.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#1942 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu May 16, 2019 10:44 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
proedros1908 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I wish I knew how they would plan on trying to develop Culver. If the thought was to try to develop him as a quasi lead guard next to Booker that would be intriguing. Him and Bridges on either side of Booker would be the formation of a great defense and Culver is a smart player who I think could be a decent facilitator.

I should note while I like Culver the thought that he's Evan Turner 2.0 does scare me.

For awhile I liked the idea of Culver next to Booker since he can handle the ball and is a great defender. I just with he could shoot better. It was also a bit concerning when he played so poorly at times in some big games in the tourney.
I get that shot concern and that's where the Turner 2.0 comes in. But if Turner would have developed a shot his career looks totally different. Most drafts I'd be out on him but considering what's going to be available he's on the radar.

Feels like all these dudes have some major question marks. In a way guys like white and Garland seem kind of safe simply because I'm confident they will be able to shoot and if you can shoot you can be at least a useful backup.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1943 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:45 pm

Crives wrote:
Kerrsed wrote:They asked him how he is able to defend so well and get so many blocks when his standing reach is the same as some of the taller guards.

His response: "Basketball IQ, a lot of it is all about timing. Also helps that i have a very quick second jump as well. I dont let my physical limitations determine what i can and cant do".

Who do we rank as some of better defensive pf/c in history of the league with length limitations?

Ben Wallace and Dennis Rodman were both not all that tall...6'8/6'7 and I don't think they had really long wingspans, but with a quick search, I can't really find the exact measurements for them. Battier was another guy who never put up great numbers but was very high iq, a great defender, didn't have much size or length, and teams were consistently better with him on the floor. Those are just off the top of my head.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1944 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:50 pm

Kerrsed wrote:
Crives wrote:
Kerrsed wrote:They asked him how he is able to defend so well and get so many blocks when his standing reach is the same as some of the taller guards.

His response: "Basketball IQ, a lot of it is all about timing. Also helps that i have a very quick second jump as well. I dont let my physical limitations determine what i can and cant do".

Who do we rank as some of better defensive pf/c in history of the league with length limitations?

I dont know, you do the research on that.

What i do know is that Paul Milsap was 6'7 (Almost 6'8) and had similar measurements. Milsap was known as a solid defender (Not as good as Clarke), but had little offense, as thats something he worked on when he got to the NBA.

Here is a chart that shows some of the similarities to NBA guys when they were in college to Clarke. If you want, you can try to find combine measurements for each of those guys and see if any are close to Clarke's numbers.

Millsap and Marion had longer wingspans but they have been used more as offensive comps...Millsap having minimal range but a nice scoring touch like Clarke does and Marion having a similar second jump and rebound/put back mentality. I think then you would compare him to a better shot blocking Roberson or Battier defensively. But pieces of a lot of those guys.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Post#1945 » by Revived » Thu May 16, 2019 10:52 pm

Trade the pick.

Option 1, 2, 3 and 4 should be to trade the pick. Only option 5 should be to actually make a selection with it.

I really think the chances of anyone that’s available at #6 in this weak being good at some point is really low.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1946 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:54 pm

Revived wrote:Trade the pick.

Option 1, 2, 3 and 4 should be to trade the pick. Only option 5 should be to actually make a selection with it.

I really think the chances of anyone that’s available at #6 in this weak being good at some point is really low.

No, that's when you make bad trades. If there is a good trade to be made for the pick, sure, but I will never advocate to just "trade the pick".
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1947 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:56 pm

Kerrsed, your NBA Combine stat link from nba.com has his shuttle run at 3.05, so I assume that is right and not this guy's.

Read on Twitter
Revived
RealGM

Post#1948 » by Revived » Thu May 16, 2019 11:00 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

No, that's when you make bad trades. If there is a good trade to be made for the pick, sure, but I will never advocate to just "trade the pick".

I like the Suns chances in trading for an established NBA veteran than drafting someone especially with how awful the Suns scouting is.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1949 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu May 16, 2019 11:00 pm

Kerrsed wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Every time I see Tacos measurements I laugh. I really hope he makes a team just for the pure lols

Saw someone on Twitter suggest we draft Bol at #6 and Tacko at #32, so this could be the Official Tacko Bol draft.
With John Hammonds unrelenting quench for length I could see Orlando actually do that exact thing :)

In fact someone needs to go check on John he might be in a boner endused coma after seeing Tacos wingspan.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1950 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu May 16, 2019 11:02 pm

Revived wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I like the Suns chances in trading for an established NBA veteran than drafting someone especially with how awful the Suns scouting is.
I'm cool trading the pick but the two obstacles I see are everyone views this draft as trash so I'm not sure teams are going to be lining up to trade good players for that pick. Plus lots of teams are shopping their picks right now.

Revived
RealGM

Post#1951 » by Revived » Thu May 16, 2019 11:08 pm

Mjee wrote:
LukasBMW wrote:We need to trade our pick for a vet and we need to put next years pick on the table as well.

Why?

The draft is about to become a TOTAL crapshoot. Between the new lottery odds AND the fact that we will soon be drafting high schoolers again, the top 20 picks might become about even. A good scouting team will become 10x as important as where you pick.

In the future, there might be a few unanimous high school players who are obvious #1 picks (Lebron), but there will be more spectacular busts like Kwame Brown, Eddy Curry, Robert Swift, etc.

Even guys like Jermanine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson took forever to develop.

100% ..... We need to get some win-now players to improve the culture of the franchise. No more timeline, no more developing new draft picks, no more 19 year olds. That **** is done. Time to get some legit talent that can help us transition to the next level.

If that means trading our 2020 unprotected pick as well to grab an all-star .... Do IT

The time is this offseason !!! Time to be bold !

^this. How is every Suns fan not tired of having to rely on rookies over and over again?

If there are no players to trade for then I would even consider doing what teams in the NFL do and just acquire future 1st rd picks while trading down or trading out of the draft altogether because of bad this draft is.

And for the record, I don't think there's any chance the Suns can get an "all-star" for their pick but I think getting at least a starting caliber player should be feasible.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,723

Post#1952 » by sunsbum » Thu May 16, 2019 11:09 pm

Clarke certainly is a polarizing prospect isn't he? He's literally everything we need next to Ayton except.....he can't shoot. On one hand, can we afford to put another non shooter on the floor? But then again, this kid is so polished and checks so many boxes already, just lock him in a gym for 2 years and hope he comes out with a shot. That being said...I think bender will be here next year (and better) and our need for shooting is too great. Right now I'm personally leaning twords garland or white...I also like the kid from Virginia tech.
Flex is now your father.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1953 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:10 pm

Revived wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

If the pick has that much value, sure. The scouting and decision makers will be quite changed.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#1954 » by Kerrsed » Thu May 16, 2019 11:11 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Kerrsed, your NBA Combine stat link from nba.com has his shuttle run at 3.05, so I assume that is right and not this guy's.

Read on Twitter

Ohh.....i dont know. I took a screen shot when they showed it during their interview with Clarke, and it too said 3.54.

So either one could be wrong.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#1955 » by darealjuice » Thu May 16, 2019 11:11 pm

Read on Twitter

I thought this was interesting. Reddish has all of the tools in the world, but to call his season a Duke disappointing would be a bit of an understatement. He really didn't even step up to fill the gap when Zion was out toward the end of the regular season. I'm sure he'll look good in open gym workouts though.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,966

Post#1956 » by Domejandro » Thu May 16, 2019 11:12 pm

Kerrsed wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Every time I see Tacos measurements I laugh. I really hope he makes a team just for the pure lols

Saw someone on Twitter suggest we draft Bol at #6 and Tacko at #32, so this could be the Official Tacko Bol draft. :lol:

I've been lobbying for Minnesota to select Tacko Falls purely out of novelty for the fans.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#1957 » by Kerrsed » Thu May 16, 2019 11:19 pm

Domejandro wrote:
Kerrsed wrote:

Saw someone on Twitter suggest we draft Bol at #6 and Tacko at #32, so this could be the Official Tacko Bol draft. :lol:

I've been lobbying for Minnesota to select Tacko Falls purely out of novelty for the fans.

I really havent been seeing him in any of the mocks.

I'd totally blow a 2nd round pick on him. Should be able to come off the bench and provide at least 10 minutes of defense a game, which is what most teams are looking for when their C is resting. Just need a guy to go in and protect the rim so the opponents dont run up the score while the A-team is catching a quick breather.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#1958 » by Saberestar » Thu May 16, 2019 11:21 pm

I do not know if this has been posted...

Read on Twitter
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1959 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu May 16, 2019 11:22 pm

darealjuice wrote:
Read on Twitter

I thought this was interesting. Reddish has all of the tools in the world, but to call his season a Duke disappointing would be a bit of an understatement. He really didn't even step up to fill the gap when Zion was out toward the end of the regular season. I'm sure he'll look good in open gym workouts though.
Not sure if I remember a prospect where I like the idea of what he should be so much but hate the actual player that he was.

I was high on him early but he's pretty much off my board after actually playing.

If I were Atlanta and he was sitting there I'd be tempted to grab him and hope his freshman year was an fluke.
alamin330
Pro Prospect
And1: 497

Post#1960 » by alamin330 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:06 am

Puff wrote:
Weemsickew14 wrote:Spencer Dinwiddie + 17th for 6th, Josh and Bucks future pick.
Who says no?

The Brooklyn Nets

I think the nets say yes and suns say no. This is a terrible trade for suns. 6th pick and Josh a former 4th pick with potential still (no matter what anyone says) and a future pick for ball hogging, no more upside, Dinwiddie and a lower pick in a terrible draft. Smh

Return to Phoenix Suns