ImageImageImage

2019 Draft Discussion - Suns with 6th pick!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Re: 2019 College Basketball and Draft Discussion 

Post#541 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:39 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:I've been wondering, If the Jimmer Fredette signing might indicate that the suns are considering going a different direction than Ja Morant, Should he be available, AND they still land in the top 3??? Would they look at R.J Barrett? Either to trade back Or to play next to Booker in a play making capacity.

Or would they slot him into Warrens' current role, So that they can more easily attach Warren in a larger scale trade for a Marquee veteran player in return??? How would R.J. theoretically compare or project in either a play making role, Or possibly in Warrens' role, If this were to happen?

I really like the Jimmer signing for his shooting and potential play making skill set, But I also wonder how this might impact (if at all) Who we'd look at positionally, Should we not get Zion, And IF Morant isn't our target in that range of the the draft. OR does this signing indicates the suns lack of faith in their ability to secure a quality point guard in free agency? Bizarre, But intriguing at the same time.

Any thoughts on how this could play out, Or as to what cryptic master plan the suns may be formulating, If any,given this signing??? :dontknow:

I don't think the Jimmer signing should or will have any impact on our draft analysis. We're giving Jimmer a shot at a second/third string PG gig. We're not think of drafting a backup at the top of the draft. This is just about seeing if Jimmer can give us a useful player on the cheap. I think this signals only that Crawford won't be part of the squad next year, which I don't think should qualifies as controversial.

Drafting Ja would probably spell the end of at least one of Okobo's or Melton's tenure here, whether or not Jimmer proves useful. We obviously need a better scoring guard off the bench than Crawford or Daniels.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Re: 2019 College Basketball and Draft Discussion - Ja Morant on NOW! 

Post#542 » by Bogyo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:41 pm

Ja feeding his big guys so nice i got tear in my eyes
starbosa10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,132

Post#543 » by starbosa10 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:55 pm

What a performance
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#544 » by darealjuice » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:56 pm

Ja's a hooper, no doubt about that. Great performance. Zion or Ja please.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#545 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:58 pm

darealjuice wrote:Ja's a hooper, no doubt about that. Great performance. Zion or Ja please.
His passing was just unreal today.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#546 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:03 pm

No doubt in my mind this draft goes 1 Zion 2 Morant.

Here's a fun one. Say we're at #1 and ATL's at #2 and #6. What would it take from ATL to get us to move back from #1 to #2? It's not like ATL could actually draft Ja, could they? But Zion and Trae? Good-ness. What kind of conspiracies could that conversation inspire? Might ATL have interest in Jackson or TJ Warren? I'm guessing we'd have interest in Collins, so #2 + Collins for Zion? Or simply #1 for #2 and #6? Who among us would prefer Ja and Brandon Clarke to Zion?

hmmmmmmmmmm...
Blonde
Veteran
And1: 3,723

Post#547 » by Blonde » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:11 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:No doubt in my mind this draft goes 1 Zion 2 Morant.

Here's a fun one. Say we're at #1 and ATL's at #2 and #6. What would it take from ATL to get us to move back from #1 to #2? It's not like ATL could actually draft Ja, could they? But Zion and Trae? Good-ness. What kind of conspiracies could that conversation inspire? Might ATL have interest in Jackson or TJ Warren? I'm guessing we'd have interest in Collins, so #2 + Collins for Zion? Or simply #1 for #2 and #6? Who among us would prefer Ja and Brandon Clarke to Zion?

hmmmmmmmmmm...

There is nothing they could offer that would be worth trading out of #1.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,353

Re: 2019 College Basketball and Draft Discussion 

Post#548 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:12 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:I've been wondering, If the Jimmer Fredette signing might indicate that the suns are considering going a different direction than Ja Morant, Should he be available, AND they still land in the top 3??? Would they look at R.J Barrett? Either to trade back Or to play next to Booker in a play making capacity.

Or would they slot him into Warrens' current role, So that they can more easily attach Warren in a larger scale trade for a Marquee veteran player in return??? How would R.J. theoretically compare or project in either a play making role, Or possibly in Warrens' role, If this were to happen?

I really like the Jimmer signing for his shooting and potential play making skill set, But I also wonder how this might impact (if at all) Who we'd look at positionally, Should we not get Zion, And IF Morant isn't our target in that range of the the draft. OR does this signing indicates the suns lack of faith in their ability to secure a quality point guard in free agency? Bizarre, But intriguing at the same time.

Any thoughts on how this could play out, Or as to what cryptic master plan the suns may be formulating, If any,given this signing??? :dontknow:

I don't think the Jimmer signing should or will have any impact on our draft analysis. We're giving Jimmer a shot at a second/third string PG gig. We're not think of drafting a backup at the top of the draft. This is just about seeing if Jimmer can give us a useful player on the cheap. I think this signals only that Crawford won't be part of the squad next year, which I don't think should qualifies as controversial.

Drafting Ja would probably spell the end of at least one of Okobo's or Melton's tenure here, whether or not Jimmer proves useful. We obviously need a better scoring guard off the bench than Crawford or Daniels.

Jimmer is not a PG. He will likely take over the Daniels role next year for cheaper if he stays.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,608

Post#549 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:13 pm

Here's a fun one. Say we're at #1

hmmmmmmmmmm...

And you draft Zion.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#550 » by darealjuice » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:13 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
darealjuice wrote:Ja's a hooper, no doubt about that. Great performance. Zion or Ja please.
His passing was just unreal today.

He's so shifty and athletic that he gets into the paint whenever he wants, and he has incredible court vision. I don't think he's any worse as a playmaker than Trae Young was last year, but he is pretty turnover prone.
Blonde
Veteran
And1: 3,723

Post#551 » by Blonde » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:17 pm

I saw what I needed from Ja today. The passing is real. Elite vision and makes team plays when he has the ball. I’m still concerned about his off ball play and unsure about his defense though. The broadcast also seemed really confident about his handle but it just looks okay to me - definitely not on Trae Young level. But he has answered enough questions for me to feel good taking him 2nd for the Suns.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#552 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:25 pm

Defense is going to be the real question especially paired with Booker. But dude is competitive so that typically is a good sign in that regard.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,353

Post#553 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:25 pm

He certainly answered the question about playing against tougher competition. He had played some SEC schools earlier in the year but struggled in some areas such as turnovers (especially relative to assists), 3 pt shooting, etc.

Much better today and in a blowout victory...those earlier games were losses. Marquette isn't in the best conference this year, ...Villanova the only other good team and they won the conference after losing all their key players. But to lead the team to blow out Marquette is pretty impressive.

The next team they face, Florida St, though, is legit.

Edit: Regarding the preceding two posts which I hadn't seen before posting, as of right now I'd take him 2 as well, but I do agree defense would likely be the issue with Booker, and I am not sold on his shooting, but we are used to poor shooters or drafting guys and hoping/thinking they can improve as shooters....2/2 today from 3 is nice to see.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#554 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:32 pm

Yeah BW I'm excited to see him against FSU they have legit length and athleticism. Good test for him.

suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#555 » by suns12345 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:35 pm

First time watching Brandon Clarke today... impressed so far
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#556 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:08 am

Blonde wrote:

hmmmmmmmmmm...

#2, #6 AND Collins? ... w/Warren presumably heading to ATL for salary purposes?

.......... yeah, I guess, probably not:

Morant/Johnson
Booker/Jackson
Bridges/Oubre
Clarke/Collins
Ayton/[Holmes]

Johnson
Booker/Jackson
Bridges/Oubre
Zion/[Warren]/[Bender]
Ayton/Holmes

OK, maybe this one is closer: Ja or Trae?
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,054

Post#557 » by Crives » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:19 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Blonde wrote:

hmmmmmmmmmm...

Morant/Johnson
Booker/Jackson
Bridges/Oubre
Clarke/Collins
Ayton/[Holmes]

Johnson
Booker/Jackson
Bridges/Oubre
Zion/[Warren]/[Bender]
Ayton/Holmes

We could get AD + Holiday with Zion. Zion is worth more then Collins + 2+ 6
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#558 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:23 am

Don't over think it... If you get 1 you just take zion.

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,436

Post#559 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:23 am

What surprised me most, was his patience and poise, whilst being so young. Also his looking to get his teammates going over trying to get his numbers first. (unselfish and mature) And yet, he still manages a triple double too. Definitely could be a key piece for us I think. :wink:
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,608

Post#560 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:25 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Blonde wrote:

hmmmmmmmmmm...

Morant/Johnson
Booker/Jackson
Bridges/Oubre
Clarke/Collins
Ayton/[Holmes]

Johnson
Booker/Jackson
Bridges/Oubre
Zion/[Warren]/[Bender]
Ayton/Holmes

Probably still no. I think Collins is a stud and probably one of the best young big men in the league but Zion *could* be something really special.

I'm surprised how close Ja and Trae is in my mind. I'm a big fan of Young and think he could become one of the best PG's in the league. Ja's 3PT shooting is a bit lacking but he could get better and athletically, he has way more avenues to get better defensively.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame

Return to Phoenix Suns