Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,481

Re: Around the NBA Player Discussion 

Post#281 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jan 4, 2019 10:10 pm

DarkHawk wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Soooooo glad we didn't get him. I hope he goes to the Lakers this summer. Let him be their 'big haul'

Yeah, did you read his complaints? Doesn't like their free flowing offense and wants more iso. Yuck.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Re: Around the NBA Player Discussion 

Post#282 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jan 4, 2019 10:17 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

As Maya Angelou said: "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#283 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jan 5, 2019 7:28 am

Man, Harden really killing it on offense...
Read on Twitter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#284 » by lilfishi22 » Sat Jan 5, 2019 7:51 am

Wtf JJ
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#285 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jan 5, 2019 9:07 am

This is nuts...
Read on Twitter
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#286 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jan 6, 2019 4:53 am

Man, the Kings beating the Warriors in the 4th...probably don't hold on but Fox isn't even having a good game. Warriors are shooting 50% and 44% from 3 but Kings are shooting 63% from 3..Hield on fire..Bogdan playing fairly well too.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071259
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Post#287 » by Revived » Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:42 am

Read on Twitter

Every time I watch Barnes he reminds me so much of Josh Jackson.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#288 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 4:08 am

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

Every time I watch Barnes he reminds me so much of Josh Jackson.

It's sad but at this point, I hope JJ carves out a career similar to Barnes. Since leaving the Warriors, he's averaged almost 19/5 on just below league average efficiency
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#289 » by bigfoot » Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:40 pm

This makes me mad still

http://bkref.com/tiny/dbr2w
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#290 » by Saberestar » Tue Jan 8, 2019 8:35 pm

bigfoot wrote:This makes me mad still

Yeah, he looks great, but I do not think that he is gonna be THAT good in the long run.

That list have Oscar Robertson, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Grant Hill....I have not seen Roberson play, but everyone usually says that he was a really good defender.

Jordan, Bird and Hill were terrific defenders and they even dominated games with his defense.

If we can not compare Ayton with David Robinson, Ewing or Olajuwon is because he is not that good on defense. The same thing can be said about all of those great perimeter players and Doncic IMO.

I have seen 10-12 games from the Mavs and I am pretty sure that Doncic is a below average defender right now. Not a bad defender, but we can not say that he is a positive player on that side yet.

Those players were great defenders since day one. Game changers.That is a big difference.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#291 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 8:40 pm

Saberestar wrote:

Yeah, he looks great, but I do not think that he is gonna be THAT good in the long run.

That list have Oscar Robertson, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Grant Hill....I have not seen Roberson play, but everyone usually says that he was a really good defender.

Jordan, Bird and Hill were terrific defenders and they even dominated games with his defense.

If we can not compare Ayton with David Robinson, Ewing or Olajuwon is because he is not that good on defense. The same thing can be said about all of those great perimeter players and Doncic IMO.

I have seen 10-12 games from the Mavs and I am pretty sure that Doncic is a below average defender right now. Not a bad defender, but we can not say that he is a positive player on that side yet.

Those players were great defenders since day one. Game changers.That is a big difference.

Those guys also played multiple years in college. Luka didn't. I imagine he will have great defensive instincts. Probably not like Jordan or Bird, but I imagine he will be a good defender. He's already better than people think.
realsunsfan
Rookie
And1: 132

Post#292 » by realsunsfan » Tue Jan 8, 2019 8:49 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

Those guys also played multiple years in college. Luka didn't. I imagine he will have great defensive instincts. Probably not like Jordan or Bird, but I imagine he will be a good defender. He's already better than people think.

Yes, but he played professional ball overseas against grown men not college students for years, his instincts will be what they are in my opinion.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#293 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 9:13 pm

realsunsfan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Yeah, he looks great, but I do not think that he is gonna be THAT good in the long run.

Yes, but he played professional ball overseas against grown men not college students for years, his instincts will be what they are in my opinion.

So you think he's at his peak?
realsunsfan
Rookie

Post#294 » by realsunsfan » Tue Jan 8, 2019 9:18 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
realsunsfan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Probably pretty close. He may improve his shooting a bit, but he is not going to get any more athletic so he is basically what he is. unless he becomes a lights out shooter ala Curry, you are seeing pretty much what he will be in this league
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#295 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 9:27 pm

realsunsfan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
realsunsfan wrote:

Probably pretty close. He may improve his shooting a bit, but he is not going to get any more athletic so he is basically what he is. unless he becomes a lights out shooter ala Curry, you are seeing pretty much what he will be in this league

I think he will end up one of the best shooters in the league. He's got the touch and the moves and already hits tough shots off the dribble. His instincts will only get better on both sides. Still reminds me in ways of Bird, with a little Harden in him. Maybe not as good as either, but in ways reminds me.
realsunsfan
Rookie

Post#296 » by realsunsfan » Tue Jan 8, 2019 9:31 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
realsunsfan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I think he will end up one of the best shooters in the league. He's got the touch and the moves and already hits tough shots off the dribble. His instincts will only get better on both sides. Still reminds me in ways of Bird, with a little Harden in him. Maybe not as good as either, but in ways reminds me.
Again, possibly, but I don't see it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#297 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 10:52 pm

Saberestar wrote:

His physical limitations will hold him back from being a great defender but his instincts are already there. You can see that his reading of the game offensively and defensively is far more advanced than most 19 year olds. A big part of that is because he's been playing in a developed men's league that run well structured systems since he was a kid. A lot of rookies that weren't great defensive prospects in college often get lost and defensive concepts take time for them to understand.

I don't think Doncic is a good defender right now but I also don't think he's that bad either. He's about what I expect a young rookie to be. Most rookie players aren't good defensively unless they were already good before entering the NBA. But given where is offense is already and where his defense is right now, I think he's already ahead of where most people think he would be in his rookie season. I had concerns that his offense might take time to get acclimated to the length, speed, strength of NBA defenders but the kid is so savvy in using screens to get the mismatch already
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#298 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 10:57 pm

realsunsfan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
realsunsfan wrote:

He's 19 and probably hasn't finished growing yet. He might not get much taller but as he trims that baby fat and spends time going through an NBA strength and conditioning program, he'll get stronger, he'll be faster and he'll be lighter on his feet. His athleticism will put a cap on his ceiling as an athlete but he didn't come into camp in good shape and imo still has plenty of room to improve. His instincts are there but given his BBIQ, I think see why those instincts couldn't grow develop as he goes on his NBA journey.

To say he's close to his peak is kinda nuts to me
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#299 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 12:16 am

lilfishi22 wrote:He's 19 and probably hasn't finished growing yet. He might not get much taller but as he trims that baby fat and spends time going through an NBA strength and conditioning program, he'll get stronger, he'll be faster and he'll be lighter on his feet. His athleticism will put a cap on his ceiling as an athlete but he didn't come into camp in good shape and imo still has plenty of room to improve. His instincts are there but given his BBIQ, I think see why those instincts couldn't grow develop as he goes on his NBA journey.

To say he's close to his peak is kinda nuts to me

I agree. The guy is 20. He probably even has more upside on his athleticism than most who are already in super shape or close to peak shape. But his game relies on his IQ and athleticism isn't as important anyway, particularly since with that IQ he constantly picks up new things as he plays in the league and learns tendencies of the games, players, opponents, etc. Those ahead on the IQ curve early usually just continue to put more distance between themselves and most others as their career progresses...Bird, LeBron, Harden, etc...even Nash seemed to get better with time.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,380

Post#300 » by sunskerr » Wed Jan 9, 2019 1:35 am

I also agree. Honestly, for an NBA player Luka is 'fat'. But since he has so much room to improve in terms of his conditioning (and quickness - when you lose dead weight you get quicker), he'll get way better just by losing weight.

Return to Phoenix Suns