Do we still NEED a PG?

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,435

Re: Do we still NEED a PG? 

Post#21 » by Revived » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:51 pm

KLEON wrote:Is the sky blue?

Could switching to GEICO really save you 15% or more on car insurance?
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#22 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:56 pm

Did someone actually ask that question?

Do we need a sg? Do we need a sf with Mikal there? Do we need a pf if TJ is there? Do we need a center? If this is still a bad team but we are fairly set at those positions, then where do we need to improve? Hmmm. Let me think.
Young gun 6
Analyst
And1: 6,008

Post#23 » by Young gun 6 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:23 am

Canaan with -15 today 8pts and 2 assists in 25 minutes.

He is barely even a backup quality PG.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,171

Post#24 » by MrMiyagi » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:29 am

Young gun 6 wrote:Canaan with -15 today 8pts and 2 assists in 25 minutes.

If we have a point guard on this roster, it's going to be Okobo. Melton and Canaan are not the answer. Crawford was serviceable getting Ayton the ball, but we need to get Booker some easy looks.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,482

Post#25 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:09 am

2023- Suns are desperately searching for a pg

2028- Suns finally found a great pg but Booker & Ayton are no longer on this team.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,638

Post#26 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:57 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
Young gun 6 wrote:Canaan with -15 today 8pts and 2 assists in 25 minutes.

If we have a point guard on this roster, it's going to be Okobo. Melton and Canaan are not the answer. Crawford was serviceable getting Ayton the ball, but we need to get Booker some easy looks.

It really doesn't matter. Neither guys are starting caliber and two are straight G-leaguers ATM.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,086

Post#27 » by oddity » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:28 pm

YES, wtf..?
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,036

Post#28 » by JazzUte88 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:04 pm

Trade a crappy pick/lottery protected draft pick for Fultz and have Fultz shoot away while finally building a playoff contending team next season.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#29 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:21 pm

Lin, Irving, Rozier, Dinwiddie, Russell, Hill, Evans, Rubio, Walker, Rivers, Collison, Rondo, Joseph, Teodosic, Smith, Beverley, Barea, Mudiay, Satoransky, Payton, Payne, Rose, Thomas, Wright, Jones, Burke, Dragic, Brogdon, McConnell, Bledsoe.

What do these THIRTY PG options have in common?
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#30 » by RunDogGun » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:13 pm

SuperSunsFan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
SuperSunsFan wrote:I wasn't comparing KJ's ability to Rozier, I was merely comparing the situations that Rozier is available and could be have like KJ was because he is quality PG playing behind a superstar PG. Rozier might never be a superstar but he will be a very serviceable Point guard in the league for a long time, did you see what he did in the playoffs last year? It is a no brainer to get him if the price is no more than a top 5 protected pick with JJ.

Rozier has been mostly terrible with a few great playoff games making people vastly overrate him. Under almost zero circumstances do I trade our own pick this year.

remember Dragic in the 2010 playoffs? he broke out as A player that year in the playoffs but kind off appeared to be regressing the next year continued to play behind Nash and that was when Suns traded him for Brooks. perhaps the regression was a result of him feeling disheartened for not being rewarded for the great performance in the playoffs. but that performance in the playoffs was no fluke,the quality was evidently there and once he adjusted and given the chance to start in Houston and later back in phoenix he flourished into a fine player and never looked back. Rozier is at a similar stage in his career. a young player doesn't just suddenly play great in the playoffs by luck, they have to have great potential to perform at that level consistently through out the whole playoffs, this is the perfect time to buy low, at the very least he could be a Reggie Jackson or Bledsoe for us which isn't bad to have in the backcourt with Booker. I would prefer a great passing Point guard with great shooting like Nash too but those players don't exist no more, even Paul is 34 and and a passing point with no shot like rubio are no longer effective in today's league.

Goran had one good quarter against the Spurs during the whole playoffs. He was already getting paid more than our first round pick even though he was taken in the middle of the second round. He chose to do very little the following year. The trade for Brooks was dumb, but unfortunately and then fortunately, Goran didnt step up for years. I can see your point about potential for good playoff showings, but I dont think Goran had that, and KJ's situation was not really like Rozier's.

But damn, I am not sure if people remember KJ, but Rozier is no KJ, and I think we would be terrible to trade for him thinking he could be anything like KJ. Goran is no KJ either. KJ was a 20/10 guy who could defend well, had an incredible mid range shot.

We need a pg, someone who could run the offense wisely. This player has to be able to play defense, because Booker is still struggling
in that department.

If Ariza and a protected pick is our main trade pieces, we may have a tough time turning it into a pg we need.
sunsfever68
Sixth Man
And1: 310

Post#31 » by sunsfever68 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:23 pm

We're going to have to make a great offer of Warren, Jackson, Okobo+ picks to get any real pg of value

Lonzo Ball or Walker should be the targets. Lillard would be great but Portland isn't trading him with their record like that.

I'd love to sign Walker in free agency but we all know he won't come here. We'd have to trade for him and somehow secure him with a long-term contract and get him to agree before trading for him.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#32 » by jcsunsfan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:25 pm

sunsfever68 wrote:We're going to have to make a great offer of Warren, Jackson, Okobo+ picks to get any real pg of value

Lonzo Ball or Walker should be the targets. Lillard would be great but Portland isn't trading him with their record like that.

I'd love to sign Walker in free agency but we all know he won't come here. We'd have to trade for him and somehow secure him with a long-term contract and get him to agree before trading for him.

Warren, Jackson, Okobo, and picks for Ball? Cmon.

We are now in a waiting game. We have to find a situation where a team has a need for one of our players or needs to move a pg. You cannot just make an offer a team cannot refuse. That would be foolish.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Post#33 » by bwgood77 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:40 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
SuperSunsFan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Rozier has been mostly terrible with a few great playoff games making people vastly overrate him. Under almost zero circumstances do I trade our own pick this year.

remember Dragic in the 2010 playoffs? he broke out as A player that year in the playoffs but kind off appeared to be regressing the next year continued to play behind Nash and that was when Suns traded him for Brooks. perhaps the regression was a result of him feeling disheartened for not being rewarded for the great performance in the playoffs. but that performance in the playoffs was no fluke,the quality was evidently there and once he adjusted and given the chance to start in Houston and later back in phoenix he flourished into a fine player and never looked back. Rozier is at a similar stage in his career. a young player doesn't just suddenly play great in the playoffs by luck, they have to have great potential to perform at that level consistently through out the whole playoffs, this is the perfect time to buy low, at the very least he could be a Reggie Jackson or Bledsoe for us which isn't bad to have in the backcourt with Booker. I would prefer a great passing Point guard with great shooting like Nash too but those players don't exist no more, even Paul is 34 and and a passing point with no shot like rubio are no longer effective in today's league.

Goran had one good quarter against the Spurs during the whole playoffs. He was already getting paid more than our first round pick even though he was taken in the middle of the second round. He chose to do very little the following year. The trade for Brooks was dumb, but unfortunately and then fortunately, Goran didnt step up for years. I can see your point about potential for good playoff showings, but I dont think Goran had that, and KJ's situation was not really like Rozier's.

But damn, I am not sure if people remember KJ, but Rozier is no KJ, and I think we would be terrible to trade for him thinking he could be anything like KJ. Goran is no KJ either. KJ was a 20/10 guy who could defend well, had an incredible mid range shot.

We need a pg, someone who could run the offense wisely. This player has to be able to play defense, because Booker is still struggling
in that department.

If Ariza and a protected pick is our main trade pieces, we may have a tough time turning it into a pg we need.

He was 20/10 during his rookie contract, or at least years 2-4 (and close on 5) and shooting 50% from the field. The guy was leading the team on his back in years 2 and 3. I'm not sure any player has really come in and done that. Not Jordan, not anyone except maybe people like Kareem, Magic, Bird, etc.

Terry Rozier basically sucks on offense. At best he is a Pat Beverley type who wants $16-$20 million. Now he shouldn't get that, but even anything in double digits is a waste. I am just tired of these mediocre to bad FA signings. Sign someone good or keep the space available until you can.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#34 » by RunDogGun » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:39 pm

I am not sure what we were thinking getting Ariza before securing a pg, who could seriously start.
As for KJ, he was doing much of that with an undiagnosed hernia. Imagine if he was fully healthy.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#35 » by TASTIC » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:25 pm

JellyRolling wrote:2023- Suns are desperately searching for a pg

2028- Suns finally found a great pg but Booker & Ayton are no longer on this team.

2019 - Suns acquire John Wall and Patrick Beverley.
2020 - Suns sign Spencer Dinwiddie
2021 - Wall and Beverley dealt at the deadline, Dinwiddie suffers ACL tears to both knees
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,638

Post#36 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:10 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:Lin, Irving, Rozier, Dinwiddie, Russell, Hill, Evans, Rubio, Walker, Rivers, Collison, Rondo, Joseph, Teodosic, Smith, Beverley, Barea, Mudiay, Satoransky, Payton, Payne, Rose, Thomas, Wright, Jones, Burke, Dragic, Brogdon, McConnell, Bledsoe.

ooo! oooo! pick me! pick me!

Are they free agents this off season?
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#37 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:01 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:Lin, Irving, Rozier, Dinwiddie, Russell, Hill, Evans, Rubio, Walker, Rivers, Collison, Rondo, Joseph, Teodosic, Smith, Beverley, Barea, Mudiay, Satoransky, Payton, Payne, Rose, Thomas, Wright, Jones, Burke, Dragic, Brogdon, McConnell, Bledsoe.

ooo! oooo! pick me! pick me!

Are they free agents this off season?

(Including player options likely to be exercised) BINGO!

What they also have in common, of course, is that they're better than Isiah Canaan. And one expects that almost all of them will prefer to start if the option presents itself.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#38 » by Damkac » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:15 am

It's crazy that McD had this idea of playin 2 or even 3 PG at the same time and just few years later he is comfortable starting the season with 0 starting quality PG.
:banghead:

Return to Phoenix Suns