ImageImageImage

Welcome Kelly Oubre!!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22, Kerrsed, batsmasher

Regardless of what he signs for, how do you project Oubre going forward?

Future all star
2
4%
Solid starter
21
45%
Fringe starter
14
30%
6th man
8
17%
Rotation player
2
4%
 
Total votes: 47

User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 58,279
And1: 32,074
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#81 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 8, 2019 4:35 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:No way Oubre is signing anywhere for less than $13 million.


I guess all it takes is one team to throw it out there, so good chance you are right someone vastly overpays him to try and get Suns not to match, but maybe if they know he wants to stay and look at his advanced numbers, they will back off.

I just hope we don't throw him an offer out there that is a lot higher than market for a player of his caliber. I like his attitude and he's good for locker room but that should only be worth so much. His cap hold is probably around a fair number I guess, if you think he can really improve shooting and overall defensively.
bhawk
Senior
Posts: 643
And1: 513
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Denver, CO
     

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#82 » by bhawk » Sat Mar 9, 2019 4:03 pm

With a wing heavy draft and a surplus at the position... let's play a little name game... Who would you rather have than Oubre?

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/kelly-oubre

Current Players: I say Warren and JJ are expendable.

Josh Jackson: LOL at comparison to Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler. https://www.nbadraft.net/players/josh-jackson

Mikal Bridges: https://www.nbadraft.net/players/mikal-bridges

TJ Warren: https://www.nbadraft.net/players/tj-warren

2019 Draft:

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/rj-barrett
https://www.nbadraft.net/players/cameron-reddish
https://www.nbadraft.net/players/nassir-little
or
Brandon Clarke?
https://www.thestepien.com/2019/01/18/draft-notes-easy-case-brandon-clarke/

------------------------------------------------------------

What's the point? Oubre is as athletic, is more experienced and a better fit than any of 2019 picks, save maybe Brandon Clarke. Certainly Barrett has him on offense, but in terms of defense and fit with Booker and Ayton. I take Oubre.

Oubre vs. Warren and JJ. GIve me Oubre. I think RIP-Girlfriend is definitely on his way out. Oubre is simply outplaying JJ right now. Mikal Bridges has shown enough. He is on a rookie deal and will competes with Oubre for playing time going forward.

I get that Oubre is not a perfect player. I hate his ball hogging as much as anyone. But looking at our roster and the draft, I say resign Oubre and call it a day.

In terms of our draft 2019 pick... Zion or Ja or bust.
jcsunsfan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,972
And1: 4,247
Joined: Dec 20, 2006
     

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#83 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Mar 9, 2019 5:50 pm

bhawk wrote:With a wing heavy draft and a surplus at the position... let's play a little name game... Who would you rather have than Oubre?

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/kelly-oubre

Current Players: I say Warren and JJ are expendable.

Josh Jackson: LOL at comparison to Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler. https://www.nbadraft.net/players/josh-jackson

Mikal Bridges: https://www.nbadraft.net/players/mikal-bridges

TJ Warren: https://www.nbadraft.net/players/tj-warren

2019 Draft:

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/rj-barrett
https://www.nbadraft.net/players/cameron-reddish
https://www.nbadraft.net/players/nassir-little
or
Brandon Clarke?
https://www.thestepien.com/2019/01/18/draft-notes-easy-case-brandon-clarke/

------------------------------------------------------------

What's the point? Oubre is as athletic, is more experienced and a better fit than any of 2019 picks, save maybe Brandon Clarke. Certainly Barrett has him on offense, but in terms of defense and fit with Booker and Ayton. I take Oubre.

Oubre vs. Warren and JJ. GIve me Oubre. I think RIP-Girlfriend is definitely on his way out. Oubre is simply outplaying JJ right now. Mikal Bridges has shown enough. He is on a rookie deal and will competes with Oubre for playing time going forward.

I get that Oubre is not a perfect player. I hate his ball hogging as much as anyone. But looking at our roster and the draft, I say resign Oubre and call it a day.

In terms of our draft 2019 pick... Zion or Ja or bust.


I agree with everything here except the last sentence. Zion, Ja, or a flyer on Bol Bol. Now if a team wants to offer us a pg of real value for the 4 or 5 pick, I would think about it. If we get the 2 pick, we can take Ja. If we get 3 we might still.
ray ray
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,904
And1: 570
Joined: Jan 20, 2007
Location: Where the Sun will raise!

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#84 » by ray ray » Sat Mar 9, 2019 6:13 pm

I’m done with younger players.. let’s get some veterans next year along with this core and try to make the playoffs
jcsunsfan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,972
And1: 4,247
Joined: Dec 20, 2006
     

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#85 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Mar 9, 2019 7:00 pm

ray ray wrote:I’m done with younger players.. let’s get some veterans next year along with this core and try to make the playoffs

Can't do that. Can't be done with young players. We have to get the best players we can, young or old. Making age a priority is a mistake.

Now. I can see a balance. For instance. If we draft Ja, I would try to sign DRose for a decent deal, and move Okobo and Melton. A pg rotation of Rose, Ja, and Tyler would be nice.
ImNotMcDiSwear
Head Coach
Posts: 6,291
And1: 3,936
Joined: Dec 14, 2013
 

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#86 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Sat Mar 9, 2019 7:04 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
ray ray wrote:I’m done with younger players.. let’s get some veterans next year along with this core and try to make the playoffs

Can't do that. Can't be done with young players. We have to get the best players we can, young or old. Making age a priority is a mistake.


The Buckstein/Jones combo has been great so far, trading for Oubre and Johnson. Great job scouting other teams and adding guys who fit. Let's see what they can do with a full summer.
Saberestar
RealGM
Posts: 10,790
And1: 6,684
Joined: May 21, 2010

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#87 » by Saberestar » Sat Mar 9, 2019 7:47 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:No way Oubre is signing anywhere for less than $13 million.


I guess all it takes is one team to throw it out there, so good chance you are right someone vastly overpays him to try and get Suns not to match, but maybe if they know he wants to stay and look at his advanced numbers, they will back off.

I just hope we don't throw him an offer out there that is a lot higher than market for a player of his caliber. I like his attitude and he's good for locker room but that should only be worth so much. His cap hold is probably around a fair number I guess, if you think he can really improve shooting and overall defensively.

Absolutely.

I know that he is the new toy and he is playing well as a starter, but it is an small sample size. He has never score efficiently, only in the last few games he has been good in that department.

I like him as a first wing coming from the bench, but I am not sold on him being a full time starter.

I need to see more...I am gonna wait until the end of the season, but at the moment he has not shown enough to deserve a contract over $10M per year IMO.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
Posts: 12,420
And1: 8,077
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#88 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:22 am

Read on Twitter


https://www.instagram.com/kellyoubrejr/p/Bu2lJWVHQZ1/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=wdrzoouqrd1y

I've been beating the don't crazy over pay the dude drum but I will say this if they do let Kelly walk they better be damn sure they do it to add a really good impactful player. Otherwise it's going to be a major hit in morale for some members of this team because they are finally playing well and I do think he's a guy his teammates truly like.

I wonder how much booker will influence this decision because it was mentioned when they got him they have known each other for years being in the same draft class and I would imagine coming up playing each other in AAU. It wouldn't surprise me if Kelly was one of the people he's closest to off the court. I'm not one that freaks out about booker wanting out but if they let Kelly go and make an Ariza or Chandler level mistake with that money it could be a really bad thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
BobbieL
Head Coach
Posts: 7,381
And1: 2,738
Joined: Jun 24, 2009

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#89 » by BobbieL » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:35 pm

ray ray wrote:I’m done with younger players.. let’s get some veterans next year along with this core and try to make the playoffs


I would agree with this. The Suns have two picks this year - my hope is they do not use either because both are traded. Now I am not mortgaging the future but its time to get players that are 24 to 28 and not one or two more 19 or 20 year olds. If they do keep the 2nd round pick - maybe a stash guy overseas or an older college player
BobbieL
Head Coach
Posts: 7,381
And1: 2,738
Joined: Jun 24, 2009

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#90 » by BobbieL » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:41 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter


https://www.instagram.com/kellyoubrejr/p/Bu2lJWVHQZ1/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=wdrzoouqrd1y

I've been beating the don't crazy over pay the dude drum but I will say this if they do let Kelly walk they better be damn sure they do it to add a really good impactful player. Otherwise it's going to be a major hit in morale for some members of this team because they are finally playing well and I do think he's a guy his teammates truly like.

I wonder how much booker will influence this decision because it was mentioned when they got him they have known each other for years being in the same draft class and I would imagine coming up playing each other in AAU. It wouldn't surprise me if Kelly was one of the people he's closest to off the court. I'm not one that freaks out about booker wanting out but if they let Kelly go and make an Ariza or Chandler level mistake with that money it could be a really bad thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app


Plus if you let Oubre go - how much money are we talking. if the value is 4/40 (or his cap hold) and he gets 4/47 - that seems easy to match. Because with how signings work in the NBA, renouncing and all that - it gets trickier with the cap over a couple million bucks for your own guys than signing other players. Plus - Oubre is hitting the right age - his second NBA contract - he can get better. Ariza, Dudley and Chandler are who we thought they were you so you wanna crown their a**es - crown em!!!
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 58,279
And1: 32,074
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#91 » by bwgood77 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:00 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter


https://www.instagram.com/kellyoubrejr/p/Bu2lJWVHQZ1/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=wdrzoouqrd1y

I've been beating the don't crazy over pay the dude drum but I will say this if they do let Kelly walk they better be damn sure they do it to add a really good impactful player. Otherwise it's going to be a major hit in morale for some members of this team because they are finally playing well and I do think he's a guy his teammates truly like.

I wonder how much booker will influence this decision because it was mentioned when they got him they have known each other for years being in the same draft class and I would imagine coming up playing each other in AAU. It wouldn't surprise me if Kelly was one of the people he's closest to off the court. I'm not one that freaks out about booker wanting out but if they let Kelly go and make an Ariza or Chandler level mistake with that money it could be a really bad thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app


I think it's pretty obvious we are going to pay him whatever or match whatever, maybe barring some LaVine type contract, but nothing would surprise me.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
Posts: 12,420
And1: 8,077
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#92 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:18 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter


https://www.instagram.com/kellyoubrejr/p/Bu2lJWVHQZ1/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=wdrzoouqrd1y

I've been beating the don't crazy over pay the dude drum but I will say this if they do let Kelly walk they better be damn sure they do it to add a really good impactful player. Otherwise it's going to be a major hit in morale for some members of this team because they are finally playing well and I do think he's a guy his teammates truly like.

I wonder how much booker will influence this decision because it was mentioned when they got him they have known each other for years being in the same draft class and I would imagine coming up playing each other in AAU. It wouldn't surprise me if Kelly was one of the people he's closest to off the court. I'm not one that freaks out about booker wanting out but if they let Kelly go and make an Ariza or Chandler level mistake with that money it could be a really bad thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app


I think it's pretty obvious we are going to pay him whatever or match whatever, maybe barring some LaVine type contract, but nothing would surprise me.
Looks that way but with the suns you really never know because they do weird ****.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Saberestar
RealGM
Posts: 10,790
And1: 6,684
Joined: May 21, 2010

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#93 » by Saberestar » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:22 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter


https://www.instagram.com/kellyoubrejr/p/Bu2lJWVHQZ1/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=wdrzoouqrd1y

I've been beating the don't crazy over pay the dude drum but I will say this if they do let Kelly walk they better be damn sure they do it to add a really good impactful player. Otherwise it's going to be a major hit in morale for some members of this team because they are finally playing well and I do think he's a guy his teammates truly like.

I wonder how much booker will influence this decision because it was mentioned when they got him they have known each other for years being in the same draft class and I would imagine coming up playing each other in AAU. It wouldn't surprise me if Kelly was one of the people he's closest to off the court. I'm not one that freaks out about booker wanting out but if they let Kelly go and make an Ariza or Chandler level mistake with that money it could be a really bad thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app


I think it's pretty obvious we are going to pay him whatever or match whatever, maybe barring some LaVine type contract, but nothing would surprise me.
Looks that way but with the suns you really never know because they do weird ****.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

Do you think that we are gonna pay him even something like $100M / 4 years?

I hope not. I like him, but he is a role player.
You don't pay role players that money. He would be a terrible contract in the next minute.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
Posts: 12,420
And1: 8,077
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#94 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:37 pm

Saberestar wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
I think it's pretty obvious we are going to pay him whatever or match whatever, maybe barring some LaVine type contract, but nothing would surprise me.
Looks that way but with the suns you really never know because they do weird ****.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

Do you think that we are gonna pay him even something like $100M / 4 years?

I hope not. I like him, but he is a role player.
You don't pay role players that money. He would be a terrible contract in the next minute.
I wouldn't think they would have to. I guess it only takes one crazy team to throw a wild offer sheet at him but I just doubt his market will be remotely that high. The nice thing with a RFA is you can make a fair offer and if he doesn't like it then let the market play out and see what others will offer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Bogyo
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,385
And1: 687
Joined: Jul 29, 2013

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#95 » by Bogyo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:50 pm

Overall he is about as good/useful as TJ. Different players, positives, negatives, etc... but overall I see roughly similar impact. So in theory he shouldn't get much more money than that in any scenario. It would be nice to keep him at 10 mill (or below), and I wouldn't go above TJ's money.
(Only if we trade TJ and JJ and we have more money for a wing, but even then I wouldn't back up the Brinks truck. If we would have no TJ, no JJ and no Kelly, then we would just draft Barrett or Reddish and call it a day, we have Book/Johnson/Bridges there, and maybe someone else coming back from a trade of our wings.)
Saberestar
RealGM
Posts: 10,790
And1: 6,684
Joined: May 21, 2010

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#96 » by Saberestar » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:40 pm

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM
Posts: 10,790
And1: 6,684
Joined: May 21, 2010

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#97 » by Saberestar » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:46 pm



His 3p shot looks really good and I think that he can get to the 40% in the next future if he improves a bit his shot selection.

And that block to Durant was huge!
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 22,113
And1: 10,114
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#98 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:50 pm

BobbieL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter


https://www.instagram.com/kellyoubrejr/p/Bu2lJWVHQZ1/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=wdrzoouqrd1y

I've been beating the don't crazy over pay the dude drum but I will say this if they do let Kelly walk they better be damn sure they do it to add a really good impactful player. Otherwise it's going to be a major hit in morale for some members of this team because they are finally playing well and I do think he's a guy his teammates truly like.

I wonder how much booker will influence this decision because it was mentioned when they got him they have known each other for years being in the same draft class and I would imagine coming up playing each other in AAU. It wouldn't surprise me if Kelly was one of the people he's closest to off the court. I'm not one that freaks out about booker wanting out but if they let Kelly go and make an Ariza or Chandler level mistake with that money it could be a really bad thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app


Plus if you let Oubre go - how much money are we talking. if the value is 4/40 (or his cap hold) and he gets 4/47 - that seems easy to match. Because with how signings work in the NBA, renouncing and all that - it gets trickier with the cap over a couple million bucks for your own guys than signing other players. Plus - Oubre is hitting the right age - his second NBA contract - he can get better. Ariza, Dudley and Chandler are who we thought they were you so you wanna crown their a**es - crown em!!!

That's not the dilemma though. 4/47 is a no-brainer especially when it's only a couple mil of his cap hold. The dilemma is if he gets offered something nearly double that. If he was a free agent, which is technically is, would you go out and pay him ~$18m a year? Would he be a guy that we target if he wasn't on our team? I highly highly doubt that.

I do think he's the right age, he's playing a lot more under control and he's flashing better defense on rotations and weak side help. But I see him as a role player, a pretty good glue guy who occasionally can get hot from the field. I don't want us to get into the habit of overpaying for good role player, even if they are pretty good. Same thing happened with Portland when they matched a 4/75 deal for Allen Crabbe and went out and signed Turner for 4/70. Or the Wizards maxing out Porter and signing Mahinmi to 4/64.

If no one offers anything major then it's a moot point. It's if/when a team does offer something in the $60m+ range then it gets dicey.
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 22,113
And1: 10,114
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#99 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:53 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Pretty much what I expected. A young wing with a 3PT shooting and all-around skill will be sought after in this modern NBA when switchable and 3PT shooting wings are in demand. It only takes one team to get loose with their checkbook
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
Posts: 12,420
And1: 8,077
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#100 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:46 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Pretty much what I expected. A young wing with a 3PT shooting and all-around skill will be sought after in this modern NBA when switchable and 3PT shooting wings are in demand. It only takes one team to get loose with their checkbook


The RFA market is just so damn unpredictable. Some guys get huge offers in an attempt to get the other team not to match and some never really get a market at all.

Now your point about his skill set being in demand is actually why I'm less terrified of an overpay. Look at a guy like Otto Porter sure he got over paid but ultimately they were still able to flip him for an expiring and the RFA rights to Portis so it's not like he ever became a true negative. Crabbe was but that deal was pretty mind boggling the minute it was signed and Mahimni cashed in on the last wave of teams actually paying average C's, now no one values that kind of player. And even Crabbe it only took a 1st in the 20's to move 3 years of his contract. So as long as Kelly doesn't get hurt or just completely suck it's unlikely to be a real disaster of a contract.

In some ways NOT paying him and letting him leave is just as risky as an overpay. Because if they didn't adequately replace him with the money saved letting him go that could piss off players and also fans and it's been such a mess with both over the past 8 years of so that's a dangerous proposition.

To me this is different than the Knight situation because he really never played well that year he got here they just kind of felt like they had to resign him because of what they gave up in the trade.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Phoenix Suns