ImageImageImage

2019 Off-Season Questions

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#1 » by NYG » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:14 am

1. Who are your free agents and what percentage would you put on them re-signing?

2. What are your team needs and the overall short term goals of the team?

3. Is there any reason your coach may not be in place next year?

4. Who are you willing to trade?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,483

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#2 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:43 am

NYG wrote:1. Who are your free agents and what percentage would you put on them re-signing?

1. Oubre - who knows? We already have 3 SFs on the roster, two better and one who will almost certainly get better, and has been better overall as of late. Holmes - who knows? If cheap, he's a nice backup (though not as good as earlier) but also a great team guy that has a good relationship with Ayton.

2. FIrst and foremost, we need a PG, but not far behind, we need 3 pt shooting. We won't win regardless if teams kill us from 3 every game. We need a PF and preferably a good defensive, shot blocker and 3 pt shooter, though those are hard to come by.

3. Maybe...who knows? Many fans blame things on him. Many know he's been dealt a losing hand with no PG, PF, and having to play 4 rookies in an 8-9 man rotation. No PGs outside of a couple rookies who are not ready. But few 3 pt shooters, defensive guys, and solid vets that are not too old.

4. Who knows? I'm sure many guys if the deal helps us, but they've said they value continuity as well. I imagine they will not trade Booker, Ayton and Bridges...anyone else is probably fair game.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#3 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:36 am

NYG wrote:1. Who are your free agents and what percentage would you put on them re-signing?

1. Oubre is probably the big one. I could see the Suns matching a big offer but I'd prefer to let him go. I think the chances of us retaining him is above 50% but that's just my opinion. The other guy is Holmes who I really like but I definitely do see how replaceable he is as a energy big off the bench. I think he's probably going to get resigned assuming there's no other big signings/resigning because he's a fairly reliable and productive player. Bender is a FA and I don't really expect him back.

2. Clearly a PG. As BW also mentioned, we need some competent shooters to spread the floor for Ayton/Booker. Short term goal I would say is to find some consistent competitiveness to end the season

3. I fully expect Igor to be around next year largely because we've had so many coaches over the last 5 seasons and Igor deserves the opportunity to coach a halfway decent roster with a legit PG. He's also in the first year of his (cheap) deal and we're not going anywhere fast so he should be around and I would prefer to keep him around. James Jones mentioned valuing continuity and Igor is part of that. Re-evaluate him next season.

4. Pretty much anyone not named Booker and Ayton, although even both are available for the right price
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
NYG
RealGM

Post#4 » by NYG » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:50 am

Who are some realistic PG targets and what would you offer via trade?
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#5 » by Bogyo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:16 am

NYG wrote:Who are some realistic PG targets and what would you offer via trade?

Depends on what you think of realistic... We could (try) to sign Rubio outright... we have the cash, he is good with our coach, Utah is looking for an upgrade... I guess thats the most realistic off the top of my head.
Then there is Brogdon and D-Lo - I guess those would be sign-and-trade involving some of our players and draft picks.
Lowry and Conley to some extent with a trade if their teams want to blow it up, they are willing to sign here, and we would take them despite their age/contract/value.
Then the lesser guys who we could get for sure with a bit of an overpay: Corey Joseph, Collins, TJ McConnell, Tyus Jones, and a couple more like them. I'd guess we go for one of them if we get Morant in the draft.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#6 » by Bogyo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:24 am

Bogyo wrote:

Depends on what you think of realistic... We could (try) to sign Rubio outright... we have the cash, he is good with our coach, Utah is looking for an upgrade... I guess thats the most realistic off the top of my head.
Then there is Brogdon and D-Lo - I guess those would be sign-and-trade involving some of our players and draft picks.
Lowry and Conley to some extent with a trade if their teams want to blow it up, they are willing to sign here, and we would take them despite their age/contract/value.
Then the lesser guys who we could get for sure with a bit of an overpay: Corey Joseph, Collins, TJ McConnell, Tyus Jones, and a couple more like them. I'd guess we go for one of them if we get Morant in the draft.

*Edit: just saw the part of the question about our offer - one of our wings, we have JJ/TJ under contract and Oubre we could do a sign and trade I believe... We have our pick (if it's a good enough player coming back), we have the Mil FRP next year, and our second. Those could all be available depending on whats coming back. Oh, and now we have the Johnson expiring as well, and one of our young PGs, Melton or Okobo, if we are getting a legit PG back.
oligo
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#7 » by oligo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:59 am

1. Replace a "two-headed wannabe GM team", and sign a real full-time GM.

2. I would keep Kokoskov. Prior to arrival, he was known as a good development coach for young players. And I still think he is. For me, he isn't the main reason for poor PHX performance.

3. dBook's future in PHX looks kinda mystery to me. He wants to win (that's for sure), but I don't know how much time he's willing to wait. He is bonded by a MAX contract (that's fine), but if things don't sort out in a season or two, you might have some kind of a "Anthony Davis" saga in PHX soon. Remember how hard dBook worked out last summer, claiming in media "I don't want to miss any PO anymore". I don't remember so hyped guy like him in last decade, who has won fewer games than him up to his age. That must be frustrating. He was literally a PG/SG on this team, so he turned out to be more selfish than normally. I don't blame him. Bring him a decent PG (like Rozier) and lock him to Suns. I like Tyler Johnson, but you need one more PG. Otherwise, try to trade dBook for a solid PG/SG duo.

4. About Ayton, bring some center veteran as a back up for Ayton to teach him the game. But don't do a stupid mistake as you did in Chandler/Len era when a youngster was a backup for vet. These things just don't work out that way long-term. Do the opposite. As you can see, Len is playing quite a decent role in ATL now as a starting Center, and this is not an exception. Jokic/Nurkic (in Denver) and Howard/Vucevic (in Orlando) are two examples when an underdog became a starter and made a decent impact on NBA after.

5. Replace Bender and OKobo with some promising G-leaguers.

6. Might be useful to check out some Utah Jazz FA in summer.

My first post on RealGM...
#FireVlade
TheLogician
Sixth Man
And1: 1,532

Post#8 » by TheLogician » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:01 am

Bogyo wrote:

McConnell and Morant has me thinking...
NYG
RealGM

Post#9 » by NYG » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:39 am

What type of power forwards would the Suns be looking at this off-season?
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#10 » by MathiasPW » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:44 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

1. Oubre - who knows? We already have 3 SFs on the roster, two better and one who will almost certainly get better, and has been better overall as of late. Holmes - who knows? If cheap, he's a nice backup (though not as good as earlier) but also a great team guy that has a good relationship with Ayton.

2. FIrst and foremost, we need a PG, but not far behind, we need 3 pt shooting. We won't win regardless if teams kill us from 3 every game. We need a PF and preferably a good defensive, shot blocker and 3 pt shooter, though those are hard to come by.

3. Maybe...who knows? Many fans blame things on him. Many know he's been dealt a losing hand with no PG, PF, and having to play 4 rookies in an 8-9 man rotation. No PGs outside of a couple rookies who are not ready. But few 3 pt shooters, defensive guys, and solid vets that are not too old.

4. Who knows? I'm sure many guys if the deal helps us, but they've said they value continuity as well. I imagine they will not trade Booker, Ayton and Bridges...anyone else is probably fair game.
Short version: who knows?
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by MathiasPW » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:46 pm

NYG wrote:What type of power forwards would the Suns be looking at this off-season?
Paint protector, 3 pt shooter, rebounder. Like a Dragan Bender, but who plays basketball.
NYG
RealGM

Post#12 » by NYG » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:52 pm

MathiasPW wrote:
NYG wrote:What type of power forwards would the Suns be looking at this off-season?
Paint protector, 3 pt shooter, rebounder. Like a Dragan Bender, but who plays basketball.

The problem is that’s a rare breed. Serge Ibaka maybe?
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by MathiasPW » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:22 pm

NYG wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:

Well, I've put them in order of importance. Rebounder and 3Pt shooter are also kinda paradoxes.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#14 » by Crives » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:46 pm

NYG wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:

Kleiber/ Brandon Clarke are two most common targets

Return to Phoenix Suns