Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

LV-Suns
Analyst
And1: 1,911

Re: Season speculation, free agency, and trade ideas: #ValleyBoyz rise up 

Post#621 » by LV-Suns » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:30 am

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is so bizzare. Why are these two even considered potential candidates? One is known for grossly mismanaging KG's career and and then basically gift wrapping a championship to Boston.The other one might be even worse.

Prior to the 2003 NBA Draft, Paxson never had a foundation in place for when James was to arrive. The best player on the 2002-2003 Cavaliers was Ricky Davis, who was all about padding his own statistics.

If Paxson thought a team consisting of Jumaine Jones, "Smush" Parker, and Milt Palacio was a solid team going forward, then that tells you something about his judgment.

In 2000, Paxson put together a team, locally known as "The Zoo Crew", which featured Clarence Weatherspoon, Chris Gatling, Robert "Tractor" Traylor, and Bimbo Coles.

https://www.cleveland.com/dsn/2011/01/the_curse_of_jim_paxson_has_plagued_the_cavaliers.html

We are looking at a guy who built a team so badly it was named the Zoo Crew! We are truly stuck with Sarver, I don't have a lot of hope for this team as long as he is the owner.
I Dont wanna be here
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#622 » by Crives » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:37 am

Morants passes in today’s game was incredible. Aytons gonna put up 25Pppg next year if we can get Morant.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#623 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:47 am

LV-Suns wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is so bizzare. Why are these two even considered potential candidates? One is known for grossly mismanaging KG's career and and then basically gift wrapping a championship to Boston.The other one might be even worse.

Prior to the 2003 NBA Draft, Paxson never had a foundation in place for when James was to arrive. The best player on the 2002-2003 Cavaliers was Ricky Davis, who was all about padding his own statistics.

If Paxson thought a team consisting of Jumaine Jones, "Smush" Parker, and Milt Palacio was a solid team going forward, then that tells you something about his judgment.

In 2000, Paxson put together a team, locally known as "The Zoo Crew", which featured Clarence Weatherspoon, Chris Gatling, Robert "Tractor" Traylor, and Bimbo Coles.

https://www.cleveland.com/dsn/2011/01/the_curse_of_jim_paxson_has_plagued_the_cavaliers.html

We are truly stuck with Sarver, I don't have a lot of hope for this team as long as he is the owner.

It's possible that no one else wants this job. I hate defending Sarver but I just don't know if there's any way for him to win in the eyes of fans. Either he gets someone with no GM experience and we revolt for repeating history or he gets someone with past GM experience but the only ones willing to come here are bad GM's, and once again we revolt.

When working for a Sarver run Sun's team, you have to deal with lofty expectations, inconsistent goals and of course, meddling of Sarver. It's just not a very attractive proposition.

Suns GM history under Sarver
1 Mike D'Antoni: No GM experience and traded away players he wasn't playing
2 Steve Kerr : No GM experience but imo the most balanced and level headed GM we've had. Right place at the wrong time
3 Lance Blanks: Only assistant GM experience. Kicked of the Suns Mediocre Era.
4 Lon Babby : Was a player agent. Got his clients a nice deal with the Suns. Did nothing to improve the Suns
5 Ryan McDonough: Assistant GM experience, very young, horrible tenure
6 Trevor Bukstein /James Jones: AFAIK Bukstein only had assistant GM experience under McD. Jones was VPBO for 1yr also McD

Fact is, Paxson and McHale would immediately come in with more GM experience than our last 6-7 GM's combined.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,691

Post#624 » by Qwigglez » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:33 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Crives wrote:Booker and Bridges need to spend the entire summer shooting 3s together

Throw in Oubre too.

Shooting threes and passing the ball. Don't even work on ball handling. Just run around the gym, work on conditioning this way, pass the ball, and shoot 3's. You dribble the ball, you do suicides drills. Get the team chemistry going. Should be able to eventually pass the ball blindfolded because you know teammates tendencies and where they'll be on the perimeter. Watching the Spurs/Warriors, their ball movement is insane. We should be learning to move the ball that way.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#625 » by Crives » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:35 am

Qwigglez wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Crives wrote:Booker and Bridges need to spend the entire summer shooting 3s together

Throw in Oubre too.

Shooting threes and passing the ball. Don't even work on ball handling. Just run around the gym, work on conditioning this way, pass the ball, and shoot 3's. You dribble the ball, you do suicides drills. Get the team chemistry going. Should be able to eventually pass the ball blindfolded because you know teammates tendencies and where they'll be on the perimeter. Watching the Spurs/Warriors, their ball movement is insane. We should be learning to move the ball that way.

TJ can be the shooting coach
m1chal
Rookie
And1: 825

Post#626 » by m1chal » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:25 pm

Flying Colors wrote:Paxson? McHale? Yup, abandon this ship because it never learns.

Starting from the very bottom, huh? Perhaps we should call Isiah Thomas or Billy King too? Or try to pry Eddie Grunfeld away from the Wizards. SMH, Sarver.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#627 » by Fo-Real » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:41 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
SlovenianDragon wrote:
Hold up...Did I miss something that happened with Shabazz? Why is he out of the league?

Career Per 36:

Oubre: 15/6/2 42/32/78

Shabazz: 19/6/1 47/32/75

He was similar to Oubre on offense but on defense he was extremely awful.

Really that bad to be forced to head to china? I figured he would always be a decent bench plug and score kinda guy...

Yeah and to boot he was an ass hole!
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#628 » by Fo-Real » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:47 pm

bwoolf2 wrote:Cavs, Grizz, AND BULLS Won, good night for the suns

And Atlanta!!! :o DAYUM GOOD!!
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#629 » by Damkac » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:54 pm

bhawk wrote:
Blonde wrote:
Kerrsed wrote:OOF! Oubre done for the season. Something tells me we wont be seeing Warren again this season either.

What are the odds that Warren plays another game in a Suns uniform? I'd put it at less than 50%.

Agreed. I say 75% he doesn’t play for the Suns again.

With that idiot as GM the odds that Warren is traded are very high.
wordsenuff
Pro Prospect
And1: 355

Post#630 » by wordsenuff » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:42 pm

LV-Suns wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

We are looking at a guy who built a team so badly it was named the Zoo Crew! We are truly stuck with Sarver, I don't have a lot of hope for this team as long as he is the owner.

If we only have paxon and Mchale interested in the GM spot were in for some trouble. I know this might not be the popular decision because of lack of experience and such but why not let chuck come in and take his dream job. Believe me, Charles is not my ideal GM but I’d rather let him have a chance to be the ring leader of this fo circus over these other clowns Paxton and mchale. :clown:
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#631 » by BobbieL » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:08 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
LV-Suns wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

We are truly stuck with Sarver, I don't have a lot of hope for this team as long as he is the owner.

It's possible that no one else wants this job. I hate defending Sarver but I just don't know if there's any way for him to win in the eyes of fans. Either he gets someone with no GM experience and we revolt for repeating history or he gets someone with past GM experience but the only ones willing to come here are bad GM's, and once again we revolt.

When working for a Sarver run Sun's team, you have to deal with lofty expectations, inconsistent goals and of course, meddling of Sarver. It's just not a very attractive proposition.

2 Steve Kerr : No GM experience but imo the most balanced and level headed GM we've had. Right place at the wrong time
4 Lon Babby : Was a player agent. Got his clients a nice deal with the Suns. Did nothing to improve the Suns
6 Trevor Bukstein /James Jones: AFAIK Bukstein only had assistant GM experience under McD. Jones was VPBO for 1yr also McD

Fact is, Paxson and McHale would immediately come in with more GM experience than our last 6-7 GM's combined.

Well when you put it that way....

I just wonder if there is a lifer NBA guy who is not working but come back to NBA for Suns. Mentor role. I guess these guys McHale and Paxson are like that.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#632 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:08 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
LV-Suns wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah they are in a tough spot with this GM/POBO search. It's not like there's a huge list of experienced and successful guys on the market; those guys are already employed in these jobs with other teams. I know people like to throw Griffin's name out there but that might simply be a no go from his past time with Sarver and also I'd ask if he's ever some super star candidate. He got a championship with Cleveland but that was because LeBron came back and that had nothing to do with him.

I'm sure there are some good assistant GM's out there who would be a good hire but that's a tricky thing too because the suns will get ripped for not hiring an experienced guy and if they are going the route of hiring someone who hasn't had the job before then it might be best to just hire Jones and Bukstein and give them and Igor all another year or two and if it doesn't work out then burn the whole **** thing to the ground and go into rebuild version 4.

As far as the job not being desirable I think there's some truth to that but I wouldn't think it's as big of an issue as some make it out to be. The fact is there are only 30 of these jobs available and they don't open up nearly as often as coaching spots so if I guy aspires to run a team hell explore that where ever he can regardless of owner. Plus most of these guys have an ego to get to this point in their careers and will have the confidence that they can manage sarver and make this work.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
rcc8884
Pro Prospect
And1: 840

Post#633 » by rcc8884 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:27 pm

wordsenuff wrote:
LV-Suns wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

If we only have paxon and Mchale interested in the GM spot were in for some trouble. I know this might not be the popular decision because of lack of experience and such but why not let chuck come in and take his dream job. Believe me, Charles is not my ideal GM but I’d rather let him have a chance to be the ring leader of this fo circus over these other clowns Paxton and mchale. :clown:

That would surely be entertaining to have the Chuckster be a gm

Would cause massive chemistry issues with him ripping everyone, but maybe thats needed every once in a while
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#634 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:37 pm

Barkley - if you want to make him a figure head and someone with the clout to tell Sarver to shut up I guess that could work as long as he had a bunch of real front office people doing the real work. The thought of him grinding on college scouting and doing actual player evaluation GM work is kind of laughable.

If I were going super outside the box and into the media I wouldn't call Barkley I'd reach out to Zach Lowe. Very intelligent, up on the current players and teams, and well liked and respected around the league. No idea if he'd even want to run a team but I think if he did and put his mind to it he could succeed.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,462

Post#635 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:28 pm

wordsenuff wrote:
LV-Suns wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Doesn't he think Ja is the #1 pick over Zion? It's funny because he is probably one of the better comps for Zion.

We should just stick with Jones/Bukstein. Good pairing.

I don't know if Chuck would want it anyway. Pretty sure he enjoys his TNT gig....doesn't have to do a lot of real work.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#636 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:33 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Barkley - if you want to make him a figure head and someone with the clout to tell Sarver to shut up I guess that could work as long as he had a bunch of real front office people doing the real work. The thought of him grinding on college scouting and doing actual player evaluation GM work is kind of laughable.

If I were going super outside the box and into the media I wouldn't call Barkley I'd reach out to Zach Lowe. Very intelligent, up on the current players and teams, and well liked and respected around the league. No idea if he'd even want to run a team but I think if he did and put his mind to it he could succeed.

Except he doesn't watch college basketball. I guess he could have scouts for that though. He would be interesting. I wonder how much he would want it. One thing you know about him is he would still consume a ton of basketball watching other teams and would be the best scout/mind for maybe grabbing other talent.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#637 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:48 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Barkley - if you want to make him a figure head and someone with the clout to tell Sarver to shut up I guess that could work as long as he had a bunch of real front office people doing the real work. The thought of him grinding on college scouting and doing actual player evaluation GM work is kind of laughable.

Except he doesn't watch college basketball. I guess he could have scouts for that though. He would be interesting. I wonder how much he would want it. One thing you know about him is he would still consume a ton of basketball watching other teams and would be the best scout/mind for maybe grabbing other talent.
Yeah Lowe would need to hire someone with a bunch of amateur scouting experience. But he strikes me as the type who is smart enough to know what he doesn't know and trust people who do.

Again just a wild outside the box name to throw out there. For all I know he loves what he's doing now and would have zero desire to even look at something like this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#638 » by King4Day » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:20 pm

I think people are taking this too seriously with the candidates. It said 'in the early stages'. We are going to have to do our due diligence. I'm OK with it as long as we do look for legit candidates further along the process.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#639 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:59 pm

They should still interview Trajan Langdon, assistant GM of the Nets. They've done a great job building that team while being awful and still not having high draft picks.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#640 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:02 pm

bwgood77 wrote:They should still interview Trajan Langdon, assistant GM of the Nets. They've done a great job building that team while being awful and still not having high draft picks.

Word. They've consisted nailed late draft picks, including taking some traditionally risky picks with injury-prone guys (LeVert), stiffs (McGee) and skinny Euros (Kurucs, Musa). They've also taken great advantage of buy-low opportunities like Russell, Harris and Dinwiddie.

Return to Phoenix Suns