WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Re: Season speculation, free agency, and trade ideas: #ValleyBoyz rise up 

Post#2002 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:46 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
Its obvious James Jones is really just trying to move out everything that is Ryan McDonough. Now this is Igor - he is just part of the Ryan McDonough decisions.

I do think James needs to really go hard and get Monty Williams. Last year, they missed on Budenholzer and possibly Fizdale so Igor was the 3rd choice (probably). Get your guy

Second, Jones said it was still about free agents and veteran players. Which is good.

Lastly, I still call BS on Igor was brought in to coach a veteran lineup. ARiza, Anderson, Crawford were not on the team.
The whole brought to coach vets thing is such a load of crap and if they thought they could win with those guys it's hopeless because they are delusional. Plus it's contradictory to say he was brought in to coach vets but things changed but then also say they are trying to find vets this summer.

This franchise is brain dead.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

Yeah, that's the dumbest part...."brought in to coach vets.....but we ended up changing course andplaying a bunch of rookies so it's not what we hired him for" and then "want to go out and get vets this summer".
It's all a bunch of nonsense. My guess is still that some players didn't like him and also Jones wanted his own guy. Im certainly not defending the suns (I'm just done with that) but I guess if I'm right about the player thing then it's not like they can come out and say it so need to make up this garbage.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#2003 » by darmani » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:53 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,485

Post#2004 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:21 pm

BobbieL wrote:
Crives wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
He's one of the many unrestricted free agents in the summer of 2021. It's funny, because as unpopular as it might be to some...........

A trade for Conley or even the lesser Lowry, using the framework of Warren and Tyler Johnson would perfectly set us up to have over 30 million in cap space for that ridiculous 2021 free agency.

And that is a really fair, and potentially enticing amount we could have to offer a player such as Lillard against what others teams might have to offer.

In the meantime, having Conley( hopefully) also having a better fitting coach, the maturation of our young players and hopefully a productive summer this offseason leading to a better record and hopefully a playoff berth.

And that could really vault us back into realistic contention for such players as Lillard, Beal, Paul George perhaps, who knows. Hopefully the front office is also formulating a plan for our long term resurgence and sustainability as well.

Lillards going to be in Portland for life. Even if they never get to the western Conference Finals.

Correct - Lillard is not going anywhere from Portland.

As for the Conley deal - -two years, 30M plus. Would take Tyler Johnson, probably TJ Warren and the Bucks pick. The problem with that trade is two-fold to me 1) his age 2) the depth it would take to get him.

Now if the Suns were to trade for Conley and it didn't cost a player like Bridges or a future FRP - so maybe the above - I would probably be positive about it. But I still think the Suns need to go smaller, maybe a bit more conservative, try to keep players , in this case, not giving up three assets for 1. Especially 31 years old.

Now Thad Young and Darren Collison might be the same age and though to get the cap space it might take moving a player like Warren or Jackson and either Okobo or Melton - at least moving multiple players/picks for two positions of need and not 1 while keeping a valued depth player in Tyler Johnson

Difference of opinion obviously, but again, the dollars in a trade match up perfectly dollar for dollar.

I see no reason why we'd need to add any additional assets. Not that the Milwaukee pick will likely have immense value anyways with the bucks being a top seeded team with no sign of slowing down or potential regression.

So most likely, that pick will possess minimal value and be in the late 20s' range at best. Barring some sort of unforeseen monumental collapse on their part.

But for a monetary comparison:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine .

Mike Conley - 30, 521, 115, For his salary. And

Warren- 11, 750, 000.
TJ Johnson- 19, 356, 932. So there salaries combined equal out to around 31, 106, 932.

So around a difference of a little over a million dollars in excess going out to Memphis. So IFanything they might have to include the returnning value for the 1 million disparity in value.

But a couple of points to consider.

First, Conley is much better given his production and veteran leadership and experience than anything we can find bargain shopping in free agency with what we have to work with apart from a trade.

Second, Conley may be 31 yrs old. But again his contract is only 2 yrs. (One more than Tyler Johnson's ) anyways, So the risk would be minimised. At worst, he could superbly lead our youngsters back into being highly competitive and very possibly, back into the playoffs possibly too.

Third, his defense is still awesome, and his leadership and mentoring, along with his floor general skillset is exactly what is needed for our guys like Melton, Okobo, even Booker to turn the corner and take a big step forward in their progression.

*****But most importantly, it sets us up with a huge chunk of cap space for that imminently rich 2021 free agency, So that we can actually be players and compete for a big name max contract star.

Instead of constantly having to bargain bin shop, or setting for the leftover free agency scraps hoping and keep our fingers crossed that some lower caliber talent will exceed expectations for us.

I mean have you actually seen the list of free agents for 2021 yet???

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8vkzz5/the_summer_of_2021_will_feature_the_greatest_free/ .

Just a few names on that list are:

Lebron/ Anthony Davis/ Giannis Antekekoupo/ Paul George/ Damian Lillard/ Russel Westbrook/ Rudy Gobert/ Demarr Derozan/ Bradley Beal, etc.

Conley's expiring would give us in excess of 30 million to offer going into that very free agency.

Along with the very real scenario in which we'd be going into that free agency as a much better, more competitive, possibly playoff team, given the effect that Conley could have on our young team with his leadership, poise, and veteran experience.

Now Tyler Johnson and Collison (If he'd even be in our price range anyways) are decent players for sure. Obviously better than the " Nothing " that we've had for a couple of years now.

But Conley's still a much better floor general, and quite honestly in a higher tier in terms of what he'd bring to our team compared to either of those two players obviously.

And if you're still worried about depth, You realize that this same trade would address our need for a point guard, while still maintaining the same amount of cap space that we originally planned to work around for this summer anyways.

So we now can put the bulk of that minuscule 9-12 million ( depending upon further decisions) to address our needs at power forward, maybe adding Aminu( or Young or Gibson) and still have our exception for Beverly possibly.

So this trade would cover multiple angles, while setting us up to contend for a potential franchise cornerstone Veteran max contract player in 2021.

To me personally, that's just a lot more palatable than bargain bin shopping yet again in free agency and continually repeating the same process, But hoping for a different and better outcome.
Gorilla Warfare
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,323

Post#2005 » by Gorilla Warfare » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:02 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Phoenix Suns