Cap scenarios

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Cap scenarios 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:35 pm

Top left scenario might be most likely if we keep our pick and the Holmes cap hold (and Oubre's of course)...though if we land pick 1 or 2 the cap holds would be 9.7 or 8.6 so we would lose 2.3-3.4 of that cap space and drop to $6 or $7 million.

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Re: Cap scenarios 

Post#2 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:17 am

Might be a dumb question but why is Oubre in only 2 of the scenarios?
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#3 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:50 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Might be a dumb question but why is Oubre in only 2 of the scenarios?

It's just showing different versions of how much cap space we could have depending on if we renounce Oubre, trade our pick, or waive and stretch Tyler Johnson.

We could renounce Richaun too but just add his number onto the cap space of whatever scenario you think is most likely.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,723

Post#4 » by sunsbum » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:01 am

thank you for this. might save us a few cringy pipedream trade scenarios
Flex is now your father.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,690

Post#5 » by Qwigglez » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:01 am

Holmes has been good for us, but if we need that extra $1.6M in cap space, we could just renounce his rights. I could see us just keeping Ray Spalding for the minimum of $230k. Plus is there any reason why we don't just release his cap hold? He isn't a RFA and he can sign anywhere regardless. From my understandings we only keep his caphold if we want to go over the cap to retain him. I don't see us paying him anymore than the $1.6M he received this year. Maybe another team will offer him $4M or something, but I doubt it will be us, unless it's a one year contract. Basically, I don't see us keeping him.

Using the stretch provision on Tyler Johnson relieves us of about $13M in cap space, so combine that with Holmes and we have an extra $14.5M in cap space.

I don't see many situations where we use the stretch provision on Tyler Johnson though as the available free agent PG's are pretty scarce. I mean, we got Darren Collison, Corey Joseph, Isaiah Thomas, Ish Smith, Patrick Beverly, Elfrid Payton. Those guys we could probably sign for $5-9M a year so we wouldn't need to stretch TJ. Guys who could possibly command $10M plus, would probably be Ricky Rubio, maybe Tomas Satorinsky (RFA though doubt he gets this much), Rozier (RFA & DO NOT WANT) and maybe a one year deal of Derrick Rose. Guys who command more are gonna be Kyrie Irving, Kemba Walker, D'Lo. It seems like we can make the cap space to sign one of these guys, but it comes down to if these guys wanna play with Booker/Bridges/Ayton. Oubre wouldn't be a factor as we'd have to renounce his bird rights.

We could realistically offer a deal for D'Lo while keeping Oubre's cap hold and then signing Oubre as well. Nets would likely match though unless they got a deal for two superstars like Kyrie/Durant.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#6 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:53 am

Qwigglez wrote:Holmes has been good for us, but if we need that extra $1.6M in cap space, we could just renounce his rights. I could see us just keeping Ray Spalding for the minimum of $230k. Plus is there any reason why we don't just release his cap hold? He isn't a RFA and he can sign anywhere regardless. From my understandings we only keep his caphold if we want to go over the cap to retain him. I don't see us paying him anymore than the $1.6M he received this year. Maybe another team will offer him $4M or something, but I doubt it will be us, unless it's a one year contract. Basically, I don't see us keeping him.

Using the stretch provision on Tyler Johnson relieves us of about $13M in cap space, so combine that with Holmes and we have an extra $14.5M in cap space.

I don't see many situations where we use the stretch provision on Tyler Johnson though as the available free agent PG's are pretty scarce. I mean, we got Darren Collison, Corey Joseph, Isaiah Thomas, Ish Smith, Patrick Beverly, Elfrid Payton. Those guys we could probably sign for $5-9M a year so we wouldn't need to stretch TJ. Guys who could possibly command $10M plus, would probably be Ricky Rubio, maybe Tomas Satorinsky (RFA though doubt he gets this much), Rozier (RFA & DO NOT WANT) and maybe a one year deal of Derrick Rose. Guys who command more are gonna be Kyrie Irving, Kemba Walker, D'Lo. It seems like we can make the cap space to sign one of these guys, but it comes down to if these guys wanna play with Booker/Bridges/Ayton. Oubre wouldn't be a factor as we'd have to renounce his bird rights.

We could realistically offer a deal for D'Lo while keeping Oubre's cap hold and then signing Oubre as well. Nets would likely match though unless they got a deal for two superstars like Kyrie/Durant.

Well we are unlikely to get a backup C and I don't know if that $1.6 million will really come into play...it isn't that much. Sure, if it's a sticking point with a FA we could renounce but I think that's the key...he's worth $3-4 million a year probably as a backup C...and we can go over to keep him. There would really be no reason not to. I think he's definitely worth $1.6 given that we don't have another backup big (I like what I've seen from Spalding, but I'm not going to go into next season with him as backup C based on what I've seen...that could throw us into big trouble if Ayton gets injured or in foul trouble). Spalding needs to be a 3rd guy. Now maybe if we keep Bender but that could still be done under the room exception.

I think we try to find a PG via trade or with the cap space we have...maybe Collison or Joseph for $8 million a year or something, or potentially trade JJ for space and then have more like $15 million for maybe someone better...fight it out with Johnson..split time. Melton/Okobo backup, end of bench, G league..3rd SG for Okobo...whatever.

If we create the $15 (keeping our draft pick) we may be able to get a PG and PF with that if we can't/don't trade for one, but it's more likely we spend that on a PG and maybe use the room exception on a PF.

I don't want IT or Payton though...maybe Beverley/Smith if it really comes to that....probably as backup to Tyler. But we need shooting at PG and preferably defense....Joseph/Bev provide the D and shooting...Collison definitely the shooting and decent D. All good vets with experience to share time with Johnson.

Of course Conley/Jrue would be better. I don't really view Rozier as better than any of those guys though...probably worse, other than maybe Smith....maybe he could be better eventually but if he cost a lot he's not worth it.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#7 » by Qwigglez » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:12 am

You mention trading JJ and I had something written up earlier about him. I could see a draft day scenario where we trade JJ and possibly a 2nd round pick for cash consideration to a team like the Memphis Grizzlies. It opens up $7M of cap space for us and gives the Grizzlies a chance to see what Jackson can do in a more defensive oriented team.

You are right about us needing a quality backup Center in the event that Ayton gets hurt. I actually didn't really even consider that. If we had the cap space and depending if other holes have already been filled, I'd like to see if we can snatch Trey Lyles from the Nuggets.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#8 » by MathiasPW » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:28 pm

The scenario where Tyler Johnson renounces his PO and resigns for a long term contract is also not there. It's unlikely, for sure, but feasible.
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#9 » by darmani » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:36 pm

MathiasPW wrote:The scenario where Tyler Johnson renounces his PO and resigns for a long term contract is also not there. It's unlikely, for sure, but feasible.

This will never ever happen.
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by MathiasPW » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:44 pm

darmani wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:The scenario where Tyler Johnson renounces his PO and resigns for a long term contract is also not there. It's unlikely, for sure, but feasible.

Care to explain? It's not that different from stretching him, really, with the difference that it would be ourselves paying him in the long term.
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#11 » by darmani » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:02 pm

MathiasPW wrote:
darmani wrote:

Care to explain? It's not that different from stretching him, really, with the difference that it would be ourselves paying him in the long term.

Because a guy whose market value is in the $5-7M range will never opt out from a $19M contract.
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by MathiasPW » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:06 pm

What if he were offered a 40/4 contract by us?

10 a year is better than 19/6/6/6. And gives us extra 9MM cap this offseason
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#13 » by Qwigglez » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:14 pm

MathiasPW wrote:What if he were offered a 40/4 contract by us?

But why would we do that instead of just use the stretch provision? We'd have extra cap space by just stretching him, unless the real goal is to just keep Tyler Johnson around long-term, but that wouldn't go over well to basically tie up $10M a year for 4 years for a backup PG.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by MathiasPW » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:54 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:What if he were offered a 40/4 contract by us?

But why would we do that instead of just use the stretch provision? We'd have extra cap space by just stretching him, unless the real goal is to just keep Tyler Johnson around long-term, but that wouldn't go over well to basically tie up $10M a year for 4 years for a backup PG.
Because we actually get a player for that money and that contract becomes tradeable.
timetoshinebaby
Junior
And1: 309

Post#15 » by timetoshinebaby » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:53 pm

darmani wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:
darmani wrote:This will never ever happen.

Because a guy whose market value is in the $5-7M range will never opt out from a $19M contract.

I thought his contract was $19m for cap purposes but the cash paid is only $12m. Still not sure he would do it but its kind of year to do something like that with so many teams having cap space. I wouldn't do it but its not necessarily as strange an idea as people think.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,479

Post#16 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:15 pm

If we don't land Morant, Can we just go ahead and trade Warren and Tyler Johnsons' expiring contract ( numbers match up perfectly for trade) to Memphis for Conley. Then we just trade back for an additional asset, and take Clarke? That addresses both positions of need, And we can then round out our roster with key veterans in free agency.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#17 » by King4Day » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:56 pm

I know Johnson has been good for us but extending him right now would be a mistake. It took Ryan Anderson just to acquire him. 10 a year would be a bad long term investment. The only player we could realistically get by waiving him is Kemba. If he's not available, there's no reason to do it. Ride out this coming year and hope for the best next summer.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley

Return to Phoenix Suns