Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Re: Phoenix Suns GM search 

Post#81 » by BobbieL » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:28 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I am fine that Babby lead the search firm. Just because he was not the right fit in Phoenix doesnt mean he can't identify talent

Not sure why Sarver needed a search firm but oh well

Some good words from SVG but Bower worked for SVG and Bower was a team player as SVG had final say for the Pistons

I am good with the hire actually. As somebody mentioned on twitter

Bower has the experience and basketball knowledge; Bukstein has the cap and scouting; James has the PR, player relations, respect around the league. Not sure why Burns has a tough time understanding the org chart and each persons skill set.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#82 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:09 am

BobbieL wrote: Not sure why Burns has a tough time understanding the org chart and each persons skill set.

Because when a team is bad the media's first reaction to every move is it's dumb and deserves ridicule. It's just how it is until you actually get good.

Overall I actually find opinions on front office hires funny because the behind the scenes people are the ones media and fans have the least information on so most of the instant hot takes are just wild guesses.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,414

Post#83 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:11 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
BobbieL wrote: Not sure why Burns has a tough time understanding the org chart and each persons skill set.

Because when a team is bad the media's first reaction to every move is it's dumb and deserves ridicule. It's just how it is until you actually get good.

Overall I actually find opinions on front office hires funny because the behind the scenes people are the ones media and fans have the least information on so most of the instant hot takes are just wild guesses.

Burns does spend his life listening to Gambo for at least 4 hours a day so he probably often has a hard time making sense of what he hears.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,165

Post#84 » by Frank Lee » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:12 am

Good for Jones.... good for us.
What ? Me Worry ?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#85 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:19 am

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Burns does spend his life listening to Gambo for at least 4 hours a day so he probably often has a hard time making sense of what he hears.
True that.

I by no means know if bower was a good hire or if this current group will do a good job. It's a boring approach but I tend to just take a 'we'll see' view of front office hires. I loved McDs profile when they hired him and liked his work at first then slowly started to not like his work until I grew to really think he was incompetent.

I willing to give Jones a shot. As I mentioned I did like what I've seen and heard from him on team chemistry and building a team of guys who w at to be here. But the real test will come through player aquisition and his first couple minor moves have been fine but the heavy lifting is yet to come.

Some of it will come down to Jones being able to manage Sarver. On the Lowe post a few weeks back he was saying he was talking to an executive and he basically said one of the main jobs of a GM is managing their owner and getting them to buy in on the moves they want to make. Basically the 'owner overruled me' was a BS excuse.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Gorilla Warfare
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,323

Post#86 » by Gorilla Warfare » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:08 am

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Gorilla Warfare wrote:Zion/Kyrie or Ja/KD this offseason or we riot.
That's just an unrealistic expectation. For one the suns don't have the cap space for a max guy and where they fall in the lotto isn't something a GM can control. Plus even if they had max cap room it's not like KD or Kyrie would want to come here.

He HAS to be joking. It's the second time he's written that.

I forgot Tyler Johnson pillaged our salary cap space. Dump him. KD also publicly said he liked playing in Phoenix, and not because we’re an easy W. He also is a big fan of Booker.

Ja
Booker
Oubre
KD
Ayton

Could be tempting for KD if he wants to leave the Warriors.
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#87 » by hollywood6964 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:13 am

Gorilla Warfare wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:That's just an unrealistic expectation. For one the suns don't have the cap space for a max guy and where they fall in the lotto isn't something a GM can control. Plus even if they had max cap room it's not like KD or Kyrie would want to come here.

He HAS to be joking. It's the second time he's written that.

I forgot Tyler Johnson pillaged our salary cap space. Dump him. KD also publicly said he liked playing in Phoenix, and not because we’re an easy W. He also is a big fan of Booker.

Ja
Booker
Oubre
KD
Ayton

Could be tempting for KD if he wants to leave the Warriors.

Robert sarver man, come on.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#88 » by Kerrsed » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:22 am

I guess Bowers didnt get the memo that Sarver hired him.....

Spoiler:
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#89 » by MathiasPW » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:25 pm

Kerrsed wrote:I guess Bowers didnt get the memo that Sarver hired him.....

Spoiler:
Is that....no... it can't be....Sarver would never double down on that lame prank...please God
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#90 » by BobbieL » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:01 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Good point that the Suns have been so bad that of course the fans will be skeptical of every move they make. Burns also only wants to keep Igor to not having coaching turnover. But he would fire him/ Not sure why - probably looking at only 19 and 63.

I guess the reason I like the Bower hire is this is the type of move I advocated. I didn't think they would hire a young guy like Langdon with Jones and Bukstein in the building. So I thought the best person to add to the Front Office was a guy with plenty of experience and Bower at least checks that box.

And I am good with how its set up. If Jones is the "face" of the Front Office, meets the players, etc - and the other two guys do the "dirty work" - so be it. Phil Savage was a heckuva scout/asst GM with the Browns and Ravens but his life changed when he became "The Man" and he fizzled out. Not saying Buckstein or Bowers are Phil Savage and not saying Jones is not competent - but I think his lack of time scouting and what not, it would stand to reason there is a learning process for him too.

Return to Phoenix Suns