Phoenix Suns GM search

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,037

Re: Phoenix Suns GM search 

Post#21 » by Revived » Thu Apr 4, 2019 11:39 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Revived wrote:The fact that James Jones is making these decisions on the GM seem pretty telling that he’s going to be the President of Basketball Ops or some type of role like that.

Whoever the GM is will have to report to both Jones and Sarver.

I don’t think the best candidates will run to a situation like that. The Pelicans are getting guys from the Rockets, Warriors etc front offices to interview while the best the Suns have had has been....Kevin McHale and Jim Paxson.

That’s pretty telling.

Then make Bukstein GM. If Jones is okay with it, I'm okay with it.

If Trajan Langdon wants to come in here and be sandwiched between Jones and Bukstein, that's fine, but I don't expect that's what these guys want.

If they want one of these top guys from the Warriors or Celtics who have been the righthand man for Myers & Morey respectfully, then James Jones will have to go or take a demotion.

James Jones isn’t qualified at all nor does he have the experience to be one of the top decision makers of a franchise.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,043

Post#22 » by bwgood77 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 11:42 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
BobbieL wrote:Griffin interviewing with the Pelicans. Suns have been very quiet.

Despite all these young players and a legit star in Booker, it's a real shame if we can't attract a good GM while less attractive jobs (imo) like the Pels GM role is getting more looks which is reflection on this franchise/owner

Pels would be a good one I think. They have the biggest trade piece since KG and a fairly high lottery pick with no bad contracts and a good owner.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,502

Post#23 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 11:45 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Despite all these young players and a legit star in Booker, it's a real shame if we can't attract a good GM while less attractive jobs (imo) like the Pels GM role is getting more looks which is reflection on this franchise/owner

Pels would be a good one I think. They have the biggest trade piece since KG and a fairly high lottery pick with no bad contracts and a good owner.

Maybe, I just think we're further along the rebuild route compared to the Pels who I think will begin theirs. You're also going to be the GM that traded away AD for X and if X isn't suffice in the eyes of the fans, it's going to be tough.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#24 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 11:51 pm

Revived wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Revived wrote:The fact that James Jones is making these decisions on the GM seem pretty telling that he’s going to be the President of Basketball Ops or some type of role like that.

Whoever the GM is will have to report to both Jones and Sarver.

I don’t think the best candidates will run to a situation like that. The Pelicans are getting guys from the Rockets, Warriors etc front offices to interview while the best the Suns have had has been....Kevin McHale and Jim Paxson.

That’s pretty telling.

If Trajan Langdon wants to come in here and be sandwiched between Jones and Bukstein, that's fine, but I don't expect that's what these guys want.

If they want one of these top guys from the Warriors or Celtics who have been the righthand man for Myers & Morey respectfully, then James Jones will have to go or take a demotion.

James Jones isn’t qualified at all nor does he have the experience to be one of the top decision makers of a franchise.

Not sure of what Jones' role is going forward but he can't be one of the top decision makers. As you mentioned, he's just not qualified nor does he have the experience. I don't mind him being a vice-POBO or assistant GM because of his apparent relationship with players but as a nuanced, experienced and high level decision maker, I just don't think he's there yet.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#25 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 12:54 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Revived wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

Not sure of what Jones' role is going forward but he can't be one of the top decision makers. As you mentioned, he's just not qualified nor does he have the experience. I don't mind him being a vice-POBO or assistant GM because of his apparent relationship with players but as a nuanced, experienced and high level decision maker, I just don't think he's there yet.

I think you guys are fooling yourselves if you think they are conducting some real search and doing real interviews. We would have likely heard about some of it, you know, like you do from other teams? I don't think we've interviewed anyone. I think they are just waiting for the season to end to make it official. They will probably just elevate Jones from VP to President of Basketball Ops...and Bukstein will be GM. They will probably both be in on decisions. Unless there is some other surprise name that is out there that they are waiting to announce.

But it appears they already know what they are going to do. I just hope they hire some good scouts and upgrade their training staff and get back to preventive training.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#26 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 1:35 am

Holding out hope for the chance that the front office will do the right thing even though they probably won't.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#27 » by Kerrsed » Fri Apr 5, 2019 2:13 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Revived wrote:If they want one of these top guys from the Warriors or Celtics who have been the righthand man for Myers & Morey respectfully, then James Jones will have to go or take a demotion.

I think you guys are fooling yourselves if you think they are conducting some real search and doing real interviews. We would have likely heard about some of it, you know, like you do from other teams? I don't think we've interviewed anyone. I think they are just waiting for the season to end to make it official. They will probably just elevate Jones from VP to President of Basketball Ops...and Bukstein will be GM. They will probably both be in on decisions. Unless there is some other surprise name that is out there that they are waiting to announce.

But it appears they already know what they are going to do. I just hope they hire some good scouts and upgrade their training staff and get back to preventive training.

Exactly. it will be a GM by committee kind of thing. We will bring in a guy thats good at whatever Sarver deems as Jones/Bukakistien weak spots and it will be a 3 headed hydra monster in control of the moves made.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Kerrsed » Fri Apr 5, 2019 2:24 am

Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#29 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 3:25 am

Kerrsed wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Not sure of what Jones' role is going forward but he can't be one of the top decision makers. As you mentioned, he's just not qualified nor does he have the experience. I don't mind him being a vice-POBO or assistant GM because of his apparent relationship with players but as a nuanced, experienced and high level decision maker, I just don't think he's there yet.

Exactly. it will be a GM by committee kind of thing. We will bring in a guy thats good at whatever Sarver deems as Jones/Bukakistien weak spots and it will be a 3 headed hydra monster in control of the moves made.

Good chance as well that the 3-headed Hydra would actually include Sarver. Why bring in a competent guy who will disagree with you when you can actually be part of the decision making process with no one that has the experience to second guess your judgement?
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,393

Post#30 » by NapoleonII » Fri Apr 5, 2019 3:34 am

My crazy outside the box picks (because the box, as constructed under Sarver, will most likely be yes-men or incompetent or both)

Sam Hinkie

Dan Marjerle
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,037

Post#31 » by Revived » Fri Apr 5, 2019 3:58 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Revived wrote:If they want one of these top guys from the Warriors or Celtics who have been the righthand man for Myers & Morey respectfully, then James Jones will have to go or take a demotion.

You’re right and that’s probably 99.9% what’s going to happen.

I’m just hoping for something better even though it’s not realistic.
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,788

Post#32 » by jredsaz » Fri Apr 5, 2019 4:42 am

Crives wrote:Wonder if new Wiz GM blows things up and puts Beal on the block this summer

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#33 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Apr 5, 2019 2:18 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Revived wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

I wonder if it's Buckstein who's actually making the basketball decisions right now and Jones is more the public front man and guy who interactng more with the players. And if that's the case I could see them continue to roll with that set up for another year and only hire more staff under Buck. Basically you keep this structure and Igor and roll with it another year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,307

Post#34 » by DirtyDez » Sun Apr 7, 2019 1:22 am

Sarver has discussed with prospective job candidates a senior advising role that will allow interim GM James Jones to continue in a lead front-office capacity with decision-making power, league sources said. Jones had sat in on interviews, along with Arizona Cardinals All-Pro receiver Larry Fitzgerald, league sources said.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26459189/suns-sarver-focusing-hiring-bower
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#35 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Apr 7, 2019 1:23 am

Read on Twitter

Looks like they will hire a Sr advisor and leave buck and Jones in place. Not familiar with the dude

Why is Fitz sitting in on ints? That's bizarre.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#36 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Apr 7, 2019 1:39 am

Interesting. His record isn't perfect but no one is. He does have a lot of experience though which would be useful in this very inexperienced front office.
NE1Care
Junior
And1: 274

Post#37 » by NE1Care » Sun Apr 7, 2019 2:18 am

I agree that it is bizarre that Fitz is sitting in on these interviews. What is the deal with him going on scouting trips and sitting in on these interviews? I like the guy, he is good for the city, can't hurt having him as a ambassador, he is/was an amazing football player but I do not see the connection other than he is the closest thing AZ has to a current, big sports star.
"“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena,” —Theodore Roosevelt
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#38 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Apr 7, 2019 2:44 am

Pocket post. I really have no idea if this was a good or bad hire but I'll give this group a chance. I think jones/buck have had a decent year considering the circumstances.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Kerrsed » Sun Apr 7, 2019 3:27 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Interesting. His record isn't perfect but no one is. He does have a lot of experience though which would be useful in this very inexperienced front office.

So looks the the Hydra Theory is real. Not looking at hiring a GM, just add in another voice to the FO.

Beggars cant be choosers. I do believe that there is probably a large amount of great GM candidates out there that want nothing to do with our Organization and probably passed on even interviewing here. Im actually surprised Bowers is interested, as he is a solid name. Made some great moves as GM of the Pistons that i really like (Gambling on Blake Griffin when his value was low and when i was saying the Suns should snag him, trading Ilyasova/Jennings to Orlando for Tobias Harris). During his time as the Hornets GM, he manage to pull off trading P.J. Brown and J.R. Smith to Chicago for Tyson Chandler. He also started life in the NBA as an advance scout and has hit big during the draft as GM with names like David West/Chris Paul/Darren Collison for the Hornets and drafting Dinwiddie/Stanley Johnson for the Pistons.

He has experience in every level of the FO from being an Advanced Scout to Assistant Coach to Head Coach to President of Operations to GM.

Something cool i found that i never knew really existed for GM's, Basketball-Reference has a breakdown for every move he was behind during his time as GM. Pretty cool to see and interesting!

https://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/bowerje99x.html

The question i have is if he does get hired, will this really change things? Sarvers still the man in control of everybody and everything and we know from past experiences that it doest matter what anybody says or thinks, Sarver has final say and will do what he wants in the end. I guess it at least helps to have someone (Considered around the league as smart and a great guy) in Sarvers ear and around him to help try to influence decisions.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#40 » by bwgood77 » Sun Apr 7, 2019 3:42 am

Kerrsed wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Interesting. His record isn't perfect but no one is. He does have a lot of experience though which would be useful in this very inexperienced front office.

So looks the the Hydra Theory is real. Not looking at hiring a GM, just add in another voice to the FO.

Beggars cant be choosers. I do believe that there is probably a large amount of great GM candidates out there that want nothing to do with our Organization and probably passed on even interviewing here. Im actually surprised Bowers is interested, as he is a solid name. Made some great moves as GM of the Pistons that i really like (Gambling on Blake Griffin when his value was low and when i was saying the Suns should snag him, trading Ilyasova/Jennings to Orlando for Tobias Harris). During his time as the Hornets GM, he manage to pull off trading P.J. Brown and J.R. Smith to Chicago for Tyson Chandler. He also started life in the NBA as an advance scout and has hit big during the draft as GM with names like David West/Chris Paul/Darren Collison for the Hornets and drafting Dinwiddie/Stanley Johnson for the Pistons.

He has experience in every level of the FO from being an Advanced Scout to Assistant Coach to Head Coach to President of Operations to GM.

Something cool i found that i never knew really existed for GM's, Basketball-Reference has a breakdown for every move he was behind during his time as GM. Pretty cool to see and interesting!

https://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/bowerje99x.html

The question i have is if he does get hired, will this really change things? Sarvers still the man in control of everybody and everything and we know from past experiences that it doest matter what anybody says or thinks, Sarver has final say and will do what he wants in the end. I guess it at least helps to have someone (Considered around the league as smart and a great guy) in Sarvers ear and around him to help try to influence decisions.

I don't know much about him other than quickly reading his wiki and stuff a little while ago and seeing some of those moves you mentioned, and seeing some Pistons fans say he sucks (talking about giving Jennings a lot of money and Leuer, etc). SVG had final say in that stuff though.

At least he's done a lot of scouting in the past. I think Bukstein is smart enough to do things right. I am actually ok with more voices involved because I think it's less likely a bad deal is done there. The bad thing is he obviously gave out some bad contracts or traded for big ones. It would be hard for us to do that unless we vastly overpaid Oubre.

It also obviously sounds like this leak came from one of the candidates that got called that they moved on from or else stuff like Fitz being there wouldn't be reported. Woj obviously has no problem pissing off the Suns and/or trying to make them look dumb/stupid since they likely do not give him any info. You can tell it always comes from somewhere else.

Return to Phoenix Suns