ImageImageImage

2019 Phoenix Suns - End of Season General Review

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

What is your overall grade for the season?

A
No votes
B
No votes
C
17%
D
37%
E
13%
F
33%

Total votes: 46

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,641

2019 Phoenix Suns - End of Season General Review 

Post#1 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:34 am

This thread is review of everything else Suns related from this past season. I'll break it down to essentially 3 part for grading, front office, coaching and general performance

So without further ado

Coaching - Overall Grade: B
Igor Kokoskov was a coach I was happy to have on board, I was happy with the resume and experience he had and overall I was happy with his performance this season. I think perspectives on new coaches on a a young and lottery-destined team will always be quite polarising just because coaches are generally graded on W/L's and but a team like ours just isn't conducive to winning so it's hard to judge him with that same W/L criteria.

I will talk real quickly about things I wasn't as happy with. For one, I do wish he was a little more "passionate" during games, especially when bad calls go our way. I don't think he should create a reputation for himself as a guy constantly berating refs but I did think there were a few situations where he should've taken a T (timely and strategically) for the team. The team tends to rally around each other when their leader takes one for them and there were plenty of times when things were going wayside and he could've used a T to bring everyone together. Another thing I wish he did more was played Crawford less than Melkobo more even though they sucked.

On the positive side, I think his player development has been solid (A grade) imo, especially with his handling of Ayton's defense. I think most coaches would've rather give Ayton the greenlight to do whatever he wanted on offense and to deal with his defensive failings in the follow of season but Igor was adamant about putting an emphasis on Ayton's D. Liekwise with Bridges, Igor kept his role restricted to 3&D and and it wasn't until Bridges become one of the better defenders in the league did he allow Bridges to take on more playmaking/scoring responsibilities. Igor integration of both Oubre and Johnson was commendable as well IMO, especially since we didn't have a floor general on the floor to really help those guys on the court.
I think Igor should return next season and I want to see what he has in store for our young guys next season.

Phoenix Suns Front Office (Jones/Bukstein) - Overall Grade: B
I don't think I can give them a better grade than B but I don't necessarily think I can give them a worse grade than that either. Both guys came in without a wealth of front office experience (I believe Bukstein was only Ast GM under McD) and with likely a mandate to keep 2020 cap space as free as possible were likely handcuffed in terms of what they could do. But I'll go through briefly the three biggest moves I think they made this season

- Signing Crawford
- Ariza for Oubre trade
- Anderson for Johnson trade

While I do wish they brought in a real PG early onward, the fact that we settled on TJo isn't necessarily the worst thing to happen. I was happy with the Oubre trade because we got back a better, younger player than Ariza who had already checked out and now we potentially have a good piece of the core going forward. Crawford was a head scratcher of a signing but as he became integrated into the team, it became clear what his true role there was and that’s mentoring. If only he played a little less, I think this front office probably would’ve gotten a higher mark.
I wished we had a more senior and more experienced decision maker in the front office but so far Jones and Bukstein have done a decent job even if at the time those moves were didn’t inspire confidence. With the addition of Bower, I think they could be a solid team going forward.

Overall team performance – Overall Grade: C-
If we’re talking overall term performance, I can’t help be consider this season to be an under-performance against expectation. I expected us to win around 30 games based on the addition of Ayton/Bridges and internal improvement but we were a lot further behind than I had anticipated. With the lack of progress from our higher draft picks from a few seasons ago (Bender/Jackson), injuries to key players (Booker/TJ/Oubre) and also learning curve for the team, including Igor, it’s really been a season of disappointment for me. That’s not to say there aren’t bright spots but with the 2nd worst record in franchise history in the record books now, it really wasn’t the season I think most fans were expecting.
While I do think we have the pieces to be a good team, this season has undoubtedly in my mind been below expectation and that’s why I’ve given it a C-
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Re: 2019 Phoenix Suns - End of Season General Review 

Post#2 » by Saberestar » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:52 am

F

19W - 63L, 2nd worst record in the history of the franchise and 17 consecutive losses.

Tough to watch.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,089

Post#3 » by SlovenianDragon » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:52 am

We started as an F Finished as C

If we started the season with Oubre and Tyler instead of guys like Anderson, Ariza, and Chandler things would look different. Also injuries all season Really hurt us.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#4 » by MathiasPW » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:13 pm

We are heading in the right path, for once. FO couldn't do much once McD was fired and we were already squeezed without a PG. This offseason is where we will see what they are capable of. Their minor moves were all positive, even Crawford, as he truly seemed to generate offcourt benefits, for once

I can't even tell if Igor is good or not because this team sucks. Too inexperienced and without some key very obvious pieces. There are things to like, though.

I liked Ayton's development, but I didn't like his game, because the poor defense (which has been improving) compromises the whole team.
I was very disappointed with Booker and Jackson, except for the last stretch of the season. I hope this is what we see from them from the start of next season, if it's even worth keeping Jackson until then. Booker seemed to have understood that he is a piece of the puzzle rather than God Almighty.

I'm glad the season is over. This has been the least interested I've been over the last decade, for sure.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
handsome salary
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,122

Post#5 » by handsome salary » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:35 pm

A great big F. The worst team in the league for the 4th year in a row. "F"ailure.
m1chal
Rookie
And1: 825

Post#6 » by m1chal » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:23 pm

F, no questions. The team was unwatchable most games. Small glimpses of progress until injuries/tanking hit give some hope for the future. Igor should stay, we need stability, no further revolutions.
phnart
Junior
And1: 456

Post#7 » by phnart » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:18 pm

Overall: F
Coaching: C-
Front Office: C
Ayton: B
Booker: A
Bridges: B-
Oubre: B
Bender: D-
Melton: D for defense
Okobo: C-
Warren: Incomplete
Jackson: C- (up from D-)
Crawford: C
Fredette: F
Spalding: D
Holmes: B
King: Incomplete
Johnson: Incomplete
The moon is a ufo.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#8 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:42 am

I agree with the unwatchableness of a lot of games. Still watched it though
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,671

Post#9 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:57 am

Was kind and gave a D because there was some development towards the end of the year and with the crazy amount of injuries combined with how insanely deep the west was this season skewed the record. Even though they won less games than last year I think they were actually slightly better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#10 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:54 am

Suns had a poor season, well below even low expectations. I was generous giving them a C- because of the lack of options to get better during the season. We started the season with a very flawed team and didn't even come close to fixing those flaws (esp at PG) until we traded for Johnson. If TJ had played even half of the 30+ games he missed, we would've won a few more games. It's not going to take us to 30 wins but I just don't think winning 19 games (and 2nd worst in franchise history) and winning 23 (and not being the 2nd worst in franchise history) is material. If we won 2 more games than last season, does it really matter? It's just an easy media talking point but rebuilding is rebuilding
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#11 » by Damkac » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:16 pm

I gave E only because this team is so young you can hope they will get better.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,477

Post#12 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:53 pm

Damkac wrote:I gave E only because this team is so young you can hope they will get better.

I almost gave an E just because I have never given out the grade of E before. But I gave a D. I guess I'm still holding out to find that perfect opportunity to hand out an E.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#13 » by Crives » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:14 pm

I put C. Mostly because I feel we finally are going to build some stability with the FO/Coaching/Roster. I really liked what I saw 2nd half when we were healthy.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#14 » by Bogyo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:42 am

E. Saw some OK things, and they are young. But this season was the most brutal I've had to endure since I follow the team closely (92/93). The silver lining is youth, so it s better in a way than the Childress years - but was worse to watch in some ways this year.
oligo
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#15 » by oligo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:58 pm

I'm going E.

The season was tough to watch from the very beginning till the end of the season.

Honestly, I was even expecting more like a 16-66 season, but three wins (2xMIL + GSW) made it to the 19. You were having a 17-game losing streak, Ayton just couldn't make a step forward, Booker was injured a lot, the 2nd unit was weak, no starting PG on roaster at all, a rookie head coach. This season was tough.

However, I'm quite optimistic about next season. I see some improvements anyway, so let's give this team a try.

But if you want to compete on a higher level at some point in the future, this team will need A HELL OF A CHANGE beginning from the top all way to the bottom.
#FireVlade
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#16 » by MathiasPW » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:16 pm

Can we add Sarver to the "under-review" list? I'm guessing many have some newly found motivation to show him some love
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#17 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:56 pm

MathiasPW wrote:Can we add Sarver to the "under-review" list? I'm guessing many have some newly found motivation to show him some love

You can but I don't think anyone can rate him higher than a E even if they are being generous
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#18 » by Damkac » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:34 pm

Sarver: Z-

Return to Phoenix Suns