Who the fook was that guy?
36%

Total votes: 116

Desertfox
Pro Prospect
And1: 819

2019 Draft Discussion - Draft Day! 

Post#1 » by Desertfox » Fri May 17, 2019 3:15 am

You can tell Suns fans by how much they want a PG who doesn't know what defense is... when we could be drafting the guy who frikin shut down frikin Zion... If you can shut down Zion you can most definitely guard PFs in the NBA. Take the elite defensive talent at a position of need, take Clarke.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Re: 2019 Draft Discussion - Suns with 6th pick! 

Post#2 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:15 am

Walt_Uoob wrote:Four of my favorite Suns ever are Bo Outlaw, Louis Amundson, Shawn Marion, and TJ Warren. Brandon Clarke seems like a mashup of all of them: Warren's nose for the basket, Marion and Lou's athleticism, Lou and Bo's hustle and tenacity, and Bo's shot-blocking instincts. His shot and his overall potential are probably around the midpoint of all those guys too, which is a player who won't likely be an all-star but won't be disposable either, and will be an exciting fan-favorite type who contributes to wins without demanding the ball or the spotlight. I'll be very happy with that result out of this crapshoot draft, even at #6 if necessary.

So for today at least I'm back on the Clarke train. I don't care if his arms are pretty short. I'm even fine with basically bringing everyone else back and rolling with that team. Johnson-Booker-Oubre-Clarke-Ayton with TJ, JJ, Bender, Holmes, Okobo, Melton off the bench. I can root for that team for sure and think we'd make some playoff-bubble noise too.

All that said, these recent player development hires make me more okay with a project like Reddish too though.

Sent from my moto x4 using RealGM mobile app

It's funny, I thought of a similar mashup earlier....TJ finishing around the rim, and him/Marion's offensive rebound instinct, but also PJ Tucker's heart and defensive hustle (or Lou as you say), but better shot blocking than probably anyone we've ever had....as well as defensive IQ. I don't remember Bo Outlaw quite as well.

Read on Twitter
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,491

Post#3 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri May 17, 2019 3:50 am

I don't know if anyone has already posted this, But here's some measurements for all of the combine participants.

Interesting ??

Read on Twitter
?s=09.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#4 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri May 17, 2019 4:04 am

And here's the listed top verticals per position:

Read on Twitter
?s=09.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#5 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri May 17, 2019 4:29 am

Last post till tomorrow, I promise!!!.... :cheesygrin:

Any thoughts on this guy for another option at guard using our 2nd round pick perhaps?

He's not far off from Morant athletically, and is a good overall scorer too.

He's currently slated in the middle to late 2nd round.

Read on Twitter
?s=09.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#6 » by kennydorglas » Fri May 17, 2019 4:49 am

All my project bigs failed in the combine :(
At least KPJr perfomed well in the agility, this kid will be a baller.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#7 » by Crives » Fri May 17, 2019 7:17 am

If we don’t get Clarke or resign Bender. I’d really like to see us trade up from 2nd round to get Mfiondu. Maybe use the Milwaukee 1st.

Shoots 3s
Blocks shots and rebounds

Good combine measurements
256 lbs
35.5 inc vertical
6’10 with 7’3 wingspan
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,176

Post#8 » by Slim Charless » Fri May 17, 2019 7:30 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Walt_Uoob wrote:Four of my favorite Suns ever are Bo Outlaw, Louis Amundson, Shawn Marion, and TJ Warren. Brandon Clarke seems like a mashup of all of them: Warren's nose for the basket, Marion and Lou's athleticism, Lou and Bo's hustle and tenacity, and Bo's shot-blocking instincts. His shot and his overall potential are probably around the midpoint of all those guys too, which is a player who won't likely be an all-star but won't be disposable either, and will be an exciting fan-favorite type who contributes to wins without demanding the ball or the spotlight. I'll be very happy with that result out of this crapshoot draft, even at #6 if necessary.

So for today at least I'm back on the Clarke train. I don't care if his arms are pretty short. I'm even fine with basically bringing everyone else back and rolling with that team. Johnson-Booker-Oubre-Clarke-Ayton with TJ, JJ, Bender, Holmes, Okobo, Melton off the bench. I can root for that team for sure and think we'd make some playoff-bubble noise too.

All that said, these recent player development hires make me more okay with a project like Reddish too though.

It's funny, I thought of a similar mashup earlier....TJ finishing around the rim, and him/Marion's offensive rebound instinct, but also PJ Tucker's heart and defensive hustle (or Lou as you say), but better shot blocking than probably anyone we've ever had....as well as defensive IQ. I don't remember Bo Outlaw quite as well.

Read on Twitter

All of this while still being a very good athlete and having some maturity that'd be great add on the team. Someone who can do the dirty work and be a glue guy to for a team that desperately needs 1 of those types of players. What the suns don't need another SF to go with 4 that they already have.

I like Hunter as much as the next guy but a 5th SF when we still have Warren on team and after we drafted Jackson and Bridges back to back years is dumb, and we haven't really seen anything from Garland this year thanks to his injury. We need a PF who can play D and score off put backs Clarke excels at these things. Seems to make perfect sense.
NBA Fiend
Senior
And1: 212

Post#9 » by NBA Fiend » Fri May 17, 2019 11:16 am

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#10 » by Saberestar » Fri May 17, 2019 11:52 am

Slim Charless wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Read on Twitter

All of this while still being a very good athlete and having some maturity that'd be great add on the team. Someone who can do the dirty work and be a glue guy to for a team that desperately needs 1 of those types of players. What the suns don't need another SF to go with 4 that they already have.

I like Hunter as much as the next guy but a 5th SF when we still have Warren on team and after we drafted Jackson and Bridges back to back years is dumb, and we haven't really seen anything from Garland this year thanks to his injury. We need a PF who can play D and score off put backs Clarke excels at these things. Seems to make perfect sense.

I think that our team is bad enough to go with BPA in the draft. If we have the opportunity to draft RJ Barret or Culver at #6 (anything can happen) we need to get one of them...RJ Barret for sure, and I do not care who plays SG/SF on our roster now.

I remember pretty well thst in the past that two players that fell in the draft were Khawi Leonard and Jrue Holiday.

We did not select them in part because we did not need them at their position. We picked Markieff (Leonard's year) and Clark (Holiday's year) and on both situations we made the wrong decision, and that was pretty clear even at that moment.

Now we have three SFs on the roster and probably four if we sign Oubre. Who cares? Probably only one of them is gonna be on our roster in a year or two. Changes are everywhere in the NBA.

I am not saying that we need to grab one SF/SG in this draft, but we can not rule out a player because of that. Select the BPA first and then complete the roster.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#11 » by MathiasPW » Fri May 17, 2019 1:04 pm

Saberestar wrote:
It is all about their skillset.

Rui knows how to create for himself and even for others. He can make plays. Good ball handler for his size, plays on the perimeter and in the paint.

Clarke scores the majority of his points like a prototypical C...put backs, alley oops, finishing around the rim...all those shots are not gonna be easy at his size in the next level and he can not create his own shots and that is a big problem if you want him as a future starter in the NBA.

Rui is a couple years younger and defensivey he is good enough. He plays smart...he reminds me of Tatum defensively.

What frontcourt player starts in the NBA only for his defense?

I like Clarke, and I would be OK drafting him at #6, but there are legit concerns.

I think Rui and Garland have way more upside and can be better than him as soon as next season in the NBA, so for now I would prefer these two prospects over Clarke.

20+ppg on put-backs and alley-oops? You're all overstating the "Clarke can't shoot" narrative.

https://hoop-math.com/Gonzaga2019.php

50%+ on 2Pt jumpers, which account for 1/3rd of his shots. Oh, and more than half unassisted, but I guess he can't create his shot.

I understand the worry about his offensive role, but he is not MKG/Byombo material.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#12 » by RunDogGun » Fri May 17, 2019 1:24 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Ok, I think Walt may have sold me on Clarke. If somehow Clarke could be a little Nash and Hill as well, it would be a no brainer. :D
bhawk
Pro Prospect
And1: 713

Post#13 » by bhawk » Fri May 17, 2019 1:35 pm

Nice piece at the Stepien...

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/05/16/draft-notes-quick-thoughts-question-answer-dropbox/

New comp for Coby from the article:

"19) Buried here, Coby White is a poor man’s D’Angelo Russell. Low hanging fruit, though I believe no one has made this comparison."
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#14 » by BobbieL » Fri May 17, 2019 1:56 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Read on Twitter

I have never really left the Clarke train. I get measurables but they sometimes are forgotten if the guy is a good basketball player. Still need a PG and PF. Granted, the idea of trading the 6th for Ball if the Lakers truly want Garland would be an enticing trade. But if not, I want the Suns to draft Clarke. He seems less "project" now. Maybe not the upside of others but a player that because they can defend, block shots - will have value their rookie year.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#15 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri May 17, 2019 2:15 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Read on Twitter

I think Hunter is physically big enough to play the 4 but there is a question of whether he actually plays big enough to be that full time. If they aren't convinced he's a 4 then I probably wouldn't take him. Now that's not to say I absolutely wouldn't take another wing because if say Culver was sitting there I'd draft him and figure out fit later I just don't like hunters profile as a wing enough to take him 6.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
proedros1908
Freshman
And1: 78

Post#16 » by proedros1908 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:52 pm

:pray: :pray: :rock: :rock:
Read on Twitter
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#17 » by Crives » Fri May 17, 2019 3:13 pm

Say we take culver or Garland at 6, or maybe trade it for Ball/Jrue. Would you make an offer to Atlanta or Minnesota at 10/11 to get back in and grab Clarke?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#18 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri May 17, 2019 3:31 pm

Crives wrote:Say we take culver or Garland at 6, or maybe trade it for Ball/Jrue. Would you make an offer to Atlanta or Minnesota at 10/11 to get back in and grab Clarke?
No, hopefully the suns learned their lesson about doubling down in a bad draft after the Bender Chriss debacle.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#19 » by RunDogGun » Fri May 17, 2019 3:32 pm

Crives wrote:Say we take culver or Garland at 6, or maybe trade it for Ball/Jrue. Would you make an offer to Atlanta or Minnesota at 10/11 to get back in and grab Clarke?

Living here in MN, it seems like they want Clarke with their pick, so I don't see them trading it, if he is still on the board at 11. Now ATL....that could be a possibility.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#20 » by RunDogGun » Fri May 17, 2019 3:34 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
No, hopefully the suns learned their lesson about doubling down in a bad draft after the Bender Chriss debacle.

But they played the same position, whereas grabbing a point and a PF, would be a different situation. Plus Clarke's motor seems tenfold compared to Bender or Chriss.

Return to Phoenix Suns