Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,190

Re: 2019 Draft Discussion - Draft Day! 

Post#2821 » by Sunsdeuce » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:28 pm

darmani wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:
Phystic wrote:
Yes. But we also paid #32 in order to do then. Then drafted another wing player replace the wing player we dumped.

Everything about yesterday is baffling when it comes to the Suns

It was completely inexcusable to salary dump Warren especially this early in the offseason. Was Saric and Baynes worth it? Really? Maddening and one of the worst FO moves in history.

I like TJ but at PF Saric is a substantial upgrade on both ends of the court and on the glass.

Uhhhhh what?! When did Warren not average more points per game and better shooting than Saric?
“Cash Considerations” or Bust!

Only a fan of Arizona teams!
CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#2822 » by LukasBMW » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:32 pm

Damkac wrote:If Suns were smart they could have all the players they aquired minus Baynes plus Clarke while keeping Warren. But the are dumb as lobotomized rock.

Exactly!

Very very poor asset management.
Jesus_H_Macy
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Post#2823 » by Jesus_H_Macy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:36 pm

Preacherpj wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:
Preacherpj wrote:TJ Warren was placed on the clearance isles and sat there waiting for anyone to scoop him up.

I'm not trying to defend all of these moves, but people on this board who think so highly of Warren should be asking themselves why no other NBA team was willing to give up anything for him.....

Jones wasn't turning down better deals so he could give away a second round pick to unload him.

Teams seem very hesitant to pay $10 million a year for a guy who hasn't been able to stay healthy, isn't a strong defender/playmaker and has had one season of really good shooting.

Maybe he balls out next year and everyone agrees he was a steal for Indiana. Or maybe he plays 40 games again.

Nice backtrack there. We have no idea what Jones was offered. He panicked and traded away one of our best assets for nothing. Just like he screwed up not trading expiring contracts last year, the guy is learning on the job because cheap ass sarver won't hire anyone worth a damn.

Its not a backtrack at all, unless you think he just ignored better offers to jump at the opportunity to give away a draft pick. I get you don't like Jones, but nobody would do that.

I realize we are all making some assumptions here since it's impossible for us to know what really went down, but why are you confident that was the best offer we could get for Warren? Is it not equally likely or more likely that Jowers (yes I'm starting that up until they make me look stupid :lol:) called around and the other smart GMs they talked to gave them a lowball starting-point offer, like how negotiations normally start, and Jowers just threw up their hands and said oh well I guess that's the best offer we better take it now? There's a reason everyone but some of the posters on our board are slamming this trade. I'd like to believe Jowers and those posters are smarter than everyone else but it's just mathematically unlikely. It's OK to both acknowledge the trade sucked for us and also be excited about the possibilities of the cap space. They don't need to be mutually exclusive. All we can hope for now is a good signing with the cap space so that we can all try to convince ourselves the ends justified the means.
Preacherpj
Junior
And1: 310

Post#2824 » by Preacherpj » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:46 pm

Jesus_H_Macy wrote:
Preacherpj wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:
Nice backtrack there. We have no idea what Jones was offered. He panicked and traded away one of our best assets for nothing. Just like he screwed up not trading expiring contracts last year, the guy is learning on the job because cheap ass sarver won't hire anyone worth a damn.

Its not a backtrack at all, unless you think he just ignored better offers to jump at the opportunity to give away a draft pick. I get you don't like Jones, but nobody would do that.

I realize we are all making some assumptions here since it's impossible for us to know what really went down, but why are you confident that was the best offer we could get for Warren? Is it not equally likely or more likely that Jowers (yes I'm starting that up until they make me look stupid :lol:) called around and the other smart GMs they talked to gave them a lowball starting-point offer, like how negotiations normally start, and Jowers just threw up their hands and said oh well I guess that's the best offer we better take it now? There's a reason everyone but some of the posters on our board are slamming this trade. I'd like to believe Jowers and those posters are smarter than everyone else but it's just mathematically unlikely. It's OK to both acknowledge the trade sucked for us and also be excited about the possibilities of the cap space. They don't need to be mutually exclusive. All we can hope for now is a good signing with the cap space so that we can all try to convince ourselves the ends justified the means.

that could be possible as well.... but I find it incredibly hard to believe that they shopped Warren, settled on this deal but had they waited some teams out something significantly better was going to come along.

I've said I didn't like attaching the 32nd pick, its obviously not optimal.

But its also the 32nd pick in a draft, I think fans are overstating its value in an effort to pile on.
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant

Post#2825 » by Sunsdeuce » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:48 pm

LukasBMW wrote:
Damkac wrote:If Suns were smart they could have all the players they aquired minus Baynes plus Clarke while keeping Warren. But the are dumb as lobotomized rock.

Exactly!

Not according to some people here.

James Jones knocked it out of the park by giving away the third best player (with the 32nd pick) on the team for NOTHiNG, reaching on a player with only one skill set (shooting 3s, which by the way we had already in Troy Daniels) with medical red flags, picking up an additional 6 million in salary for Bynes (then what was the point of salary dumping TJ), drafting TY (who was rated as a 2nd round player by many, who could have been drafted with the 32nd pick (the irony).

I mean what’s not to love?!!

CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#2826 » by Wilber85 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:53 pm

Sunsdeuce wrote:
LukasBMW wrote:

Exactly!

James Jones knocked it out of the park by giving away the third best player (with the 32nd pick) on the team for NOTHiNG, reaching on a player with only one skill set (shooting 3s, which by the way we had already in Troy Daniels) with medical red flags, picking up an additional 6 million in salary for Bynes (then what was the point of salary dumping TJ), drafting TY (who was rated as a 2nd round player by many, who could have been drafted with the 32nd pick (the irony).

Warren was never the 3rd best player . Quit being a box score pusher !

Warren was 4th and we won 19 games . Dudes ain’t going to magically become a leader and we have no plans for him

Bridges is in our plans over Warren.

Jeez man , u need help
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant

Post#2827 » by Sunsdeuce » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:56 pm

Wilber85 wrote:
Sunsdeuce wrote:
LukasBMW wrote:
Exactly!

Warren was never the 3rd best player . Quit being a box score pusher !

Warren was 4th and we won 19 games . Dudes ain’t going to magically become a leader and we have no plans for him

Bridges is in our plans over Warren.

Jeez man , u need help

Oh excuse me, 4th best player. And even if you are right (which you aren’t, Warren “right now” is better than Bridges) name me teams that give up their 4th best player plus the 32nd pick for cash?

I want to live in your fantasy world!

CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
Preacherpj
Junior
And1: 310

Post#2828 » by Preacherpj » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:57 pm

Sunsdeuce wrote:
LukasBMW wrote:

Exactly!

How valuable is the 3rd or 4th best player on a team that wins 19 games? Especially when that player has averaged 52 games played per season and makes $10 million a year.

Lets just be real here.

People can't knock Cam Johnson for being a one-trick pony and simultaneously love TJ Warren. Its absurd.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#2829 » by Crives » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
LukasBMW

Post#2830 » by LukasBMW » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:59 pm

It's not so much WHO we drafted but rather how the day was run that has me concerned.

I agree that at the end of the day, this draft is a crapshoot and bringing in two older rookies in Ty and Cam that have high BBIQ isn't awful.

What concerns me is that the TJ Warren trade was unnecessary and just SMELLS like Robert Sarver stench. Sarver didn't trade TJ because he had to...he traded TJ because he didn't want to pay him anymore.

And as many have mentioned, today we could have had all the players we wanted BUT with more cap room AND without trading TJ if we had negotiated better. Absolutely HORRIBLE asset management.

The fact that we went after players our new GM has prior relationships with reminds me of the Babby era which was awful and set us back 5 years.

The ONLY way this day turns out to not be a COMPLETE disaster and a new low (which is REALLY saying something for the Sarver run Suns), is if we snag Brogdon or Dlo in free agency AND we find out that TJ had some issue (medical, mental health, or drugs/booze) that destroyed his value and made him untradeable.
Jesus_H_Macy
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Post#2831 » by Jesus_H_Macy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:01 pm

Preacherpj wrote:
Jesus_H_Macy wrote:
Preacherpj wrote:

that could be possible as well.... but I find it incredibly hard to believe that they shopped Warren, settled on this deal but had they waited some teams out something significantly better was going to come along.

But its also the 32nd pick in a draft, I think fans are overstating its value in an effort to pile on.

I understand your point, but it's a valuable pick to a team with a good FO...so maybe you're right, it doesn't have a lot of value for us :lol:. If we were giving them a bad contract/bad player, bad contract/good player, or bad player/good contract it would be easier to understand why we gave them a pick. But I see Warren as a good player/good contract which makes it crazy to me that we gave an asset to dump him, regardless of what that asset was. Maybe that's where the disconnect over opinions on that trade are coming from, the judgement of what Warren and his contract were. If people on the board see him as bad player/bad contract then I can understand why they thought the deal was OK (although we already burned up most of that cap space we gained so...)

Waiting may or may not have gotten them a better deal. But ask yourself, would Pop have made that trade? What about Morey? Myers? If TJ was already on Indy, and they wanted to free up cap to sign D-Lo, do you think they would have given us a pick to just absorb him into our cap space? Which FO with a proven track record of making good deals do you think wouldn't have been able to negotiate that trade with Indy so that it was flipped around with them giving us a pick instead? If the deal we made was the final deal of the negotiation then where do you think Indy started from? Two future 1st for TJ?
LukasBMW

Post#2832 » by LukasBMW » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:04 pm

Crives wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

This would be the icing on the cake!

Trade TJ for nothing. Renounce Oubre or refuse to match. Lose both.

If this happens we need to riot.
LukasBMW

Post#2833 » by LukasBMW » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:06 pm

Crives wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

If we traded TJ without being 100% sure Oubre is staying, then we need to burn down the arena.

And Booker will leave for sure.
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,101

Post#2834 » by RaisingArizona » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:06 pm

LukasBMW wrote:
Crives wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

This would be the icing on the cake!

Trade TJ for nothing. Renounce Oubre or refuse to match. Lose both.

If this happens we need to riot.

Oh god. This is shaping up to be an epic disaster. After that, Book is next. Jones ruining the Suns from the inside out!
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,557

Post#2835 » by SunsLyf3 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:09 pm

Preacherpj wrote:
Sunsdeuce wrote:
LukasBMW wrote:
Exactly!

How valuable is the 3rd or 4th best player on a team that wins 19 games? Especially when that player has averaged 52 games played per season and makes $10 million a year.

Lets just be real here.

People can't knock Cam Johnson for being a one-trick pony and simultaneously love TJ Warren. Its absurd.

This can't be emphasised enough.
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,101

Post#2836 » by RaisingArizona » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:10 pm

SunsLyf3 wrote:
Preacherpj wrote:
Sunsdeuce wrote:Not according to some people here.

Lets just be real here.

TJ is what we hope Cam Johnson turns out to be.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#2837 » by Crives » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:11 pm

Jesus_H_Macy wrote:
Preacherpj wrote:
Jesus_H_Macy wrote:

I understand your point, but it's a valuable pick to a team with a good FO...so maybe you're right, it doesn't have a lot of value for us :lol:. If we were giving them a bad contract/bad player, bad contract/good player, or bad player/good contract it would be easier to understand why we gave them a pick. But I see Warren as a good player/good contract which makes it crazy to me that we gave an asset to dump him, regardless of what that asset was. Maybe that's where the disconnect over opinions on that trade are coming from, the judgement of what Warren and his contract were. If people on the board see him as bad player/bad contract then I can understand why they thought the deal was OK (although we already burned up most of that cap space we gained so...)

Waiting may or may not have gotten them a better deal. But ask yourself, would Pop have made that trade? What about Morey? Myers? If TJ was already on Indy, and they wanted to free up cap to sign D-Lo, do you think they would have given us a pick to just absorb him into our cap space? Which FO with a proven track record of making good deals do you think wouldn't have been able to negotiate that trade with Indy so that it was flipped around with them giving us a pick instead? If the deal we made was the final deal of the negotiation then where do you think Indy started from? Two future 1st for TJ?

Warren is a great player.
But we had 4 players at his position and were in desperate need of cap space.
We also don’t know the full story behind the scenes. Maybe his injury is worse then we thought. Maybe he was butting heads in the locker room and killing team chemistry.

We definitely didn’t win the trade. But if Jones made the move we may not have had a choice.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#2838 » by Wilber85 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:11 pm

Y’all overate Warren so much. U would think he is an all star
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant

Post#2839 » by Sunsdeuce » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:13 pm

RaisingArizona wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:
Preacherpj wrote:

Lets just be real here.

TJ is what we hope Cam Johnson turns out to be.

Cam Johnson is essentially Troy Daniels but with medical concerns.

CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
LukasBMW

Post#2840 » by LukasBMW » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:14 pm

SunsLyf3 wrote:
Preacherpj wrote:
Sunsdeuce wrote:Not according to some people here.

Lets just be real here.

Warren got better every year and was super efficient. He even developed a deadly 3 point stroke. He wasn't a bad defender and the opposing commentators even started praising his defense on many occasions. He only got "abused" by bigger (more traditional 4's). He was definitely not a "one trick pony" as he could score from any place on the court.

Adding Saric was perfect as he and Warren could alternate at the 4 when we played teams with a "bigger" (more traditional 4).

And how many times did Warren sit even though he was healthy because we were tanking? The "injury" issues with him are likely skewed by our constant tanking.

Warren was a cheap Lou Williams.

Return to Phoenix Suns