Bad Pick
33%
Who the fook was that guy?
36%

Total votes: 116

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Re: 2019 Draft Discussion - Suns with 6th pick (31 days til draft) 

Post#301 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed May 22, 2019 11:14 pm

darealjuice wrote:
TheLogician wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I'd guess his floor is ATL at 8. He makes sense for them to gamble on considering they have 2 picks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

Yeah, I would say 4-8 range.

I'm with you guys. He's going to be interesting to watch. How often do guys become good NBA players after being as bad as him in college? His game is so visually appealing and the situation at Duke wasn't ideal for him, but he didn't come within miles of his expectations.
Yeah I had mentioned the other day im not sure I ever remember a prospect where theoretically what he should be looking at his skill set and physical package differed from his actual performance on the court.

One thing I always try to keep in mind is even a whole college season is a realtively small sample size in the grand scheme of things.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,462

Post#302 » by bwgood77 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:32 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I've been high on him for awhile now, As has Crives and a few others. He'd be a steal for us in the 18-21 range of the draft IF we go with a point guard instead of Clarke at 6.

He's got great size and girth at 6'10 and 250lbs. He's very mobile, He can hit the three, as well as block shots. He compares to a young Serge Ibaka.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/mfiondu-kabengele-1.html .

He's been averaging- 13 points/ 5 rebounds/ 2pt FG 50%/ 3pt. 36%/ free throw % 76/ and 1.5 blocks.

A trade with Indiana - Jackson for TJ Leaf and their 18th pick would put us in range for either Kabengele or Johnson.

That's a veteran big on a cheap contract who can shoot the 3( Leaf), a young prospect big man who can block shots and hit the three( Kabengele) and around 4 million in cap space.

I'd argue that is a pretty good haul for Jackson, given his current lack of perceived value.

I think that if you go with a guard at 6, Then you definitely need to consider Kabengele later.

Or if you go with Clarke at 6, You then look at possibly trading something like Warren and the Milwaukee pick to Boston for Smart and their 14th pick. ( if possible).

Then with the 14th pick take NAW, As he projects along the lines of a Brogdon/ Dinwiddie hybrid. :wink:

Yes, I know you guys are high on him. I see you post here every once in a while and write a word or two about your thoughts.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#303 » by bwgood77 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:35 pm

darealjuice wrote:Going to be interesting to see how much teams overlook Reddish’s disappointing season when he comes in and kills empty gym workouts

I am kind of interested in the same about Garland. It almost feels as if not playing helped him. If only Reddish and Little had gotten injured 4 games in.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#304 » by bwgood77 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:37 pm

bigfoot wrote:
Desertfox wrote:Since everyone is basically a crapshoot after Zion why not try to trade down and try to get two solid role players/projects? Say Atlanta (Clarke and White/NAW) or Boston (NAW, Kabelenge, etc)

Well because we already have four rookies on last years team and don't really need to add one let alone two/three rookies (2nd round pick) this year. Better to move the pick so we can get some veteran players.

Five...don't do Spalding like that!
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#305 » by darealjuice » Wed May 22, 2019 11:44 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
darealjuice wrote:I'm with you guys. He's going to be interesting to watch. How often do guys become good NBA players after being as bad as him in college? His game is so visually appealing and the situation at Duke wasn't ideal for him, but he didn't come within miles of his expectations.
Yeah I had mentioned the other day im not sure I ever remember a prospect where theoretically what he should be looking at his skill set and physical package differed from his actual performance on the court.

One thing I always try to keep in mind is even a whole college season is a realtively small sample size in the grand scheme of things.

It's a small sample size, but I think we have a pretty good idea of where he is as a shooter. His 267 attempts from 3 is a solid amount more than anyone took last season for the Suns not named Devin Booker and Mikal Bridges in less than half the games. He also struggled finishing around the rim this year, which is only going to get more difficult in the NBA. I hope he overcomes his season at Duke, but it'd be a bit of an anomaly.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#306 » by darealjuice » Wed May 22, 2019 11:55 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:Going to be interesting to see how much teams overlook Reddish’s disappointing season when he comes in and kills empty gym workouts

I am kind of interested in the same about Garland. It almost feels as if not playing helped him. If only Reddish and Little had gotten injured 4 games in.

I see it both ways. I think a combination of scoring so efficiently in his 4 games, having a reputation as a scorer in high school, and the league becoming 3-point dominant has led to his stock being high. I do wonder if he'd be in the Ja Morant/RJ Barrett tier if he kept his pre-injury average of 20 points per game on 60+ TS% in the SEC and continued to develop as a distributor though.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#307 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed May 22, 2019 11:57 pm

darealjuice wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
darealjuice wrote:I'm with you guys. He's going to be interesting to watch. How often do guys become good NBA players after being as bad as him in college? His game is so visually appealing and the situation at Duke wasn't ideal for him, but he didn't come within miles of his expectations.

It's a small sample size, but I think we have a pretty good idea of where he is as a shooter. His 267 attempts from 3 is a solid amount more than anyone took last season for the Suns not named Devin Booker and Mikal Bridges in less than half the games. He also struggled finishing around the rim this year, which is only going to get more difficult in the NBA. I hope he overcomes his season at Duke, but it'd be a bit of an anomaly.
The finishing scares me the most. Maybe I'm crazy but I'm optimistic with his mechanics the 3pt shooting will come around.

He's lucky he's in this draft class, in a normal year he could fall like a rock. But in this class I could see a GM looking at the prospects hating them all and saying **** it I'll take the dude I loved in HS.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Blonde
Veteran
And1: 3,723

Post#308 » by Blonde » Thu May 23, 2019 1:28 am

I’ve been looking into players at 32 the last few days. Guys like Grant Williams and Cam Johnson are pretty self explanatory but will likely go in the 1st. I still think Jontay would be an incredible get at 32 regardless of his injuries - it’s no risk at all to us at 32 for a super highly skilled big man.

Dedric Lawson is the other name I keep coming back to. Put up 19/10/2 with over a block and steal per game. Love his rebounding and shooting from 3 (39%) and FT (81%). He’s got an NBA ready frame and a 7’2.5” wingspan. Kansas wasn’t great this year but he pretty much did it all for them. I’d note that his assist numbers cut in half when he transferred to Kansas which I found interesting. He definitely shows some passing touch so there may be room to grow there.

The last name I want to mention is Tyler Herro, who I know will probably be a mid first and won’t be on the Suns, but I think he’ll be one of the biggest steals in this class wherever he goes.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#309 » by bigfoot » Thu May 23, 2019 1:36 am

bwgood77 wrote:
bigfoot wrote:
Desertfox wrote:Since everyone is basically a crapshoot after Zion why not try to trade down and try to get two solid role players/projects? Say Atlanta (Clarke and White/NAW) or Boston (NAW, Kabelenge, etc)

Well because we already have four rookies on last years team and don't really need to add one let alone two/three rookies (2nd round pick) this year. Better to move the pick so we can get some veteran players.

Five...don't do Spalding like that!

I stand corrected
TheLogician
Sixth Man
And1: 1,532

Post#310 » by TheLogician » Thu May 23, 2019 1:54 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#311 » by kennydorglas » Thu May 23, 2019 1:57 am

Reddish looks like Jayson Tatum tbh.
This guy was destroying every single EYBL event.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#312 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu May 23, 2019 2:44 am

I've said a lot of negative things about this class but one positive is most of the guys in the suns range will play hard and don't dog it out there. Clarkes game is built on that and he'll fill up the hustle stats, Culver plays hard and sound D with a good feel, even Coby really competes hell fight through a screen and while he's a little wild on O the dude plays fast.

Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Post#313 » by Frank Lee » Thu May 23, 2019 6:11 am

Bucks to biscuits we will be drafting for someone else. Trading down or out is the play here.

And come on Holmes .... wtf ? GD amateurs

Both he and Jackson can party on elsewhere. Example time, as both are easily replaced.
What ? Me Worry ?
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#314 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu May 23, 2019 1:02 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I've said a lot of negative things about this class but one positive is most of the guys in the suns range will play hard and don't dog it out there. Clarkes game is built on that and he'll fill up the hustle stats, Culver plays hard and sound D with a good feel, even Coby really competes hell fight through a screen and while he's a little wild on O the dude plays fast.

This is what people loved about Josh Jackson. Playing hard isn't enough, though it is a requisite.

Frank Lee wrote:Bucks to biscuits we will be drafting for someone else. Trading down or out is the play here.

Word. I like Clarke, but at the back of the lottery rather than the top. BUT if he isn't available where we end up picking, there's Kabengele, Hachimura, Williams, etc., whereas the players who should be taken #6 are all wing players. Let's pick up some value, whether that be in the form of one or more future picks, the addition of a future player or relief from Tyler's contract. Don't lose Josh or TJ for nothing in the deal.

I just don't see how we get max value from simply making the pick unless we've correctly identified a future great player in range of the #6.

This is the play I wanted us to make in 2016, to grab Sabonis rather than Bender/Chriss. I really hope Jones is on the same page. He's well-positioned to make a good deal. DO IT!
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#315 » by BobbieL » Thu May 23, 2019 1:52 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Bucks to biscuits we will be drafting for someone else. Trading down or out is the play here.

And come on Holmes .... wtf ? GD amateurs

Both he and Jackson can party on elsewhere. Example time, as both are easily replaced.

I am not moving on from Jackson as he got into a bit of trouble at the Miami music festival and I am not moving on from Holmes over this little weed thing . I am moving from Jackson as I think his 7will be need to spend on PG and or PF.. As for Holmes, at the right price - he is a good player. I like what he brings to the team. He just needs to be more careful - do it in your home big fella! :lol:
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,817

Post#316 » by Saberestar » Thu May 23, 2019 2:20 pm

Read on Twitter
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,481

Post#317 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 23, 2019 6:27 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09 . I wonder which prospects have us on their short list? :dontknow:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2019/05/17/gonzagas-brandon-clarke-dreams-playing-home-phoenix-suns/3703884002/ .

Read on Twitter
?s=09 .
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#318 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:30 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09 .

Probably all wanting to get drafted by the Suns after watching our draft picks thrive the last few years.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#319 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 23, 2019 6:40 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09 .

Probably all wanting to get drafted by the Suns after watching our draft picks thrive the last few years.

Well......Obviously :lol:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#320 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Also with respect to Clarke, Check this out!

Read on Twitter
?s=09 .

https://www.reddit.com/r/suns/comments/bpxt0j/oc_brandon_clarke_was_a_historically_great_ncaa/ .

Return to Phoenix Suns