Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,625

Re: Welcome Cam Johnson 

Post#261 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:59 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

The guy is as two way as they come. Just having him in the game I feel like raises the pace. All his off ball movement, fast shooting stroke, the green light to shoot and now his new-found ability to put it on the floor really does force us to play at a higher pace. Then defensively, he's been killing it on the advance stats and although he does look solid on that end, it's still a bit hard for me to believe he's one of the best defenders in the league.

I know he's not shooting at an elite clip (a little over league average) but the amount of gravity the kid has really helps our team when he's on the floor even when he's just having a 1 for 5 night.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,351

Post#262 » by Revived » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:13 pm

Any news on when he’s gonna play? Hasn’t it been 2 weeks now since he entered the covid protocol?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#263 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:34 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

Like I mentioned earlier, and I believe you were the only respondent, the advanced #s are showing him to be a premier defender. Like upper echelon, so that meets it. I like that him and Bridges are wearing off on each other, working together, though it seems to have really helped them pick up each other's strengths, while each regressed from their own...though both became more well rounded.
I think it really illustrates how good of a role player Cam is. When he's on the court with good players he makes them better because he's always in the right spot, makes the right decision, and teams fear him from 3 so won't help off him much. Shane Battier might be a good comp for Cam and one I've never heard before.

His defensive numbers are pretty crazy. Now maybe that flattens out some with a larger sample size, but it's also possible he's just a really really good defender, much better than anyone could have hoped for when they drafted him.

One thing about these 3 man lineups that people look up is that I kind of don't think it's the best tool to use, given that most of those 3 man lineups are just 3 men in the same 5 men lineup, but obviously it's better to be in them than to not be in them.

I think it also shows that playing a wing at the 4 is definitely the way to go and that's when we thrived last year was with Oubre or Cam at the 4 instead of Saric.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#264 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:42 am

suns12345 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Like I mentioned earlier, and I believe you were the only respondent, the advanced #s are showing him to be a premier defender. Like upper echelon, so that meets it. I like that him and Bridges are wearing off on each other, working together, though it seems to have really helped them pick up each other's strengths, while each regressed from their own...though both became more well rounded.
I think it really illustrates how good of a role player Cam is. When he's on the court with good players he makes them better because he's always in the right spot, makes the right decision, and teams fear him from 3 so won't help off him much. Shane Battier might be a good comp for Cam and one I've never heard before.

His defensive numbers are pretty crazy. Now maybe that flattens out some with a larger sample size, but it's also possible he's just a really really good defender, much better than anyone could have hoped for when they drafted him.

He certainly seems to be able to stay in front of his guy (good with the hip concerns), has good size and knows how to be in the right spots. That's pretty much all it takes to be a great defender - which is good news for us.

Now, I think his ceiling tops out at 'great defender'. He doesn't have the physical tools to be Kawhi level elite for example - but thats ok.

Interesting most of those are defensive lineups too. Ayton and Paul are both in 5 of the top 8. Bridges in 4 of the top 8 and Bridges and Paul both in the 9th and 10th ones. Booker is only in 2 of the top 10 3 man lineups then he's in the 11th with Bridges and Ayton.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,811

Post#265 » by Saberestar » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:28 am

Read on Twitter
itlnsunsfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 877

Post#266 » by itlnsunsfan » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:59 pm

Not just the dunk last night, but his up and under, reverse lay-up. His head almost hit the backboard on that lay-up. I don't see that very often. I knew his athleticism was underrated, but I didn't know he had all of THAT. We're talking different tier, different ceiling as a player, if he has that.
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#267 » by suns12345 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:36 am

itlnsunsfan wrote:Not just the dunk last night, but his up and under, reverse lay-up. His head almost hit the backboard on that lay-up. I don't see that very often. I knew his athleticism was underrated, but I didn't know he had all of THAT. We're talking different tier, different ceiling as a player, if he has that.

If her works on his off the dribble game, finishing and handles, he could really be something.

Agility and shiftiness may hold him back.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#268 » by cberry78 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:03 am

He's a 6'9" Booker clone. With bigger hair.

But this thread's title has never been more appropriate before that dunk.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#269 » by Saberestar » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:04 am

Read on Twitter
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,463

Post#270 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:55 pm

Trevor William Marks (@twmarks_) Tweeted:
Cam Johnson post defense vs. Giannis https://t.co/X6puWZ6MU3
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Definitely an underrated aspect of Cams' game.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#271 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:46 pm

Gerald Bourguet (@GeraldBourguet) Tweeted:
ICYMI yesterday on @PHNX_Suns, we talked with Cam Johnson about his growth, what he took from last season, his dunking ability and more! Plus, our all-time favorite Suns dunks: https://t.co/mpfv71MICV https://t.co/TI9IkFmjEc
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,659

Post#272 » by Qwigglez » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:37 pm

Cam Johnson since the Warriors game when Booker went out is averaging almost 15 points, 5 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1.1 steals, shooting 44% from the field including 3. I was just telling myself how I think Cam should have stepped it up even more in Booker's absence but didn't realize he already has in a significant way. I believe he still has a ton of potential and can eventually become a hybrid PF for the Suns, if that is the route the Suns want to go. I think in order to keep him he has to eventually earn that starting role which I believe he has already.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#273 » by bwgood77 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:41 pm

Qwigglez wrote:Cam Johnson since the Warriors game when Booker went out is averaging almost 15 points, 5 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1.1 steals, shooting 44% from the field including 3. I was just telling myself how I think Cam should have stepped it up even more in Booker's absence but didn't realize he already has in a significant way. I believe he still has a ton of potential and can eventually become a hybrid PF for the Suns, if that is the route the Suns want to go. I think in order to keep him he has to eventually earn that starting role which I believe he has already.

He is a great guy off the bench and spot starter. In some ways he is better than Crowder, definitely on offense and can hold his own on defense. I doubt we will start him this season and maybe next. I think the fact he will be a bench player going into extension time come free agency, we can likely sign him for around 4/$60. I might say less, but after seeing what they gave Shamet, I think it's probably that much or a little more...though Monty may view Shamet as a similar type player, even though Cam is much better.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#274 » by Saberestar » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:09 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:Cam Johnson since the Warriors game when Booker went out is averaging almost 15 points, 5 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1.1 steals, shooting 44% from the field including 3. I was just telling myself how I think Cam should have stepped it up even more in Booker's absence but didn't realize he already has in a significant way. I believe he still has a ton of potential and can eventually become a hybrid PF for the Suns, if that is the route the Suns want to go. I think in order to keep him he has to eventually earn that starting role which I believe he has already.

He is a great guy off the bench and spot starter. In some ways he is better than Crowder, definitely on offense and can hold his own on defense. I doubt we will start him this season and maybe next. I think the fact he will be a bench player going into extension time come free agency, we can likely sign him for around 4/$60. I might say less, but after seeing what they gave Shamet, I think it's probably that much or a little more...though Monty may view Shamet as a similar type player, even though Cam is much better.

That is exactly the money and years that I have in mind for him.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#275 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:01 pm

Mike Vigil (@protectedpick) Tweeted:
He also had the most 3 point attempts with 100% FG% as a Suns player with 5 tying Casey Jacobsen in 2004.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#276 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:06 pm

Xin Varlock (@XinNBA) Tweeted:
Mans shot 46% from three his last year at UNC and was working on his Master's degree at the same time
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#277 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:10 am

The countdown for Johnson to replace Crowder in the starting lineup has begun! :nod:
Perhaps that's even the plan ? That once Crowder expires in 2023, They simply sign Johnson to a nice deal with the cap space from Crowders' salary slot savings. And find a solid minimal cost backup 4/5? :dontknow:

Monty Williams reiterates what a luxury it is having Cam Johnson coming off the bench: "He's been playing well for awhile. I've said this a couple of times, but we look at him as a starter."
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#278 » by Mr Puddles » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:17 pm

15 ppg on 50% 3fg and 49% fg in December

If Cam can play close to this level for the rest of the season + playoffs it would be huge for our bench. With the way Javale has been playing, if only Payne and Shamet can start looking like actual NBA players again - our bench could be huge come playoff time.
Spoiler:
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#279 » by Mr Puddles » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:25 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:The countdown for Johnson to replace Crowder in the starting lineup has begun! :nod:
Perhaps that's even the plan ? That once Crowder expires in 2023, They simply sign Johnson to a nice deal with the cap space from Crowders' salary slot savings. And find a solid minimal cost backup 4/5? :dontknow:

Monty Williams reiterates what a luxury it is having Cam Johnson coming off the bench: "He's been playing well for awhile. I've said this a couple of times, but we look at him as a starter."
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'm thinking that's the plan. Crowder will by 33 by that time I believe. We might be able to bring him back on a friendly deal to back-up Cam Johnson.
Spoiler:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#280 » by bwgood77 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:25 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:The countdown for Johnson to replace Crowder in the starting lineup has begun! :nod:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'm thinking that's the plan. Crowder will by 33 by that time I believe. We might be able to bring him back on a friendly deal to back-up Cam Johnson.

I think he just means starter quality. I think he will likely stay as 6th man this season and it might help get a better extension deal. And probably next, as the bench scoring punch is huge and Crowder's vet D is huge in the starting lineup. But solid starter within the next 2 years after this for sure.

Return to Phoenix Suns