ImageImageImage

Aron Baynes news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Re: Welcome Aron Baynes! 

Post#81 » by hollywood6964 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:47 am

They need to offer him an extension now, not later. In fact I wanted them to right when we got him. A fool's errand is to wait.

As you wait, the # goes up.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,799

Post#82 » by Saberestar » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:45 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:They need to offer him an extension now, not later. In fact I wanted them to right when we got him. A fool's errand is to wait.

If we extend him now, we'll lose all our free cap space for next season. Not all, but a good part of it.

It is probably better to pay him a bit more next summer but sign him after we spend all our money, we can go over the cap to sign our own FAs (like we did with Oubre this year).
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Post#83 » by bwgood77 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:09 pm

Saberestar wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:They need to offer him an extension now, not later. In fact I wanted them to right when we got him. A fool's errand is to wait.

If we extend him now, we'll lose all our free cap space for next season. Not all, but a good part of it.

It is probably better to pay him a bit more next summer but sign him after we spend all our money, we can go over the cap to sign our own FAs (like we did with Oubre this year).

No need to extend him now...no one else can offer him anything. Don't big against yourselves. Could have career ending injury for all we know.
hollywood6964
Analyst

Post#84 » by hollywood6964 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:45 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

No need to extend him now...no one else can offer him anything. Don't big against yourselves. Could have career ending injury for all we know.

I can see that. I just don't like the sun's history with these things. Might be a knee jerk.....
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#85 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:31 pm

Good article on Baynes

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,799

Post#86 » by Saberestar » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Read on Twitter
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#87 » by LukasBMW » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:44 pm

He's 32 and in a contract year. I like him, but he's not worth 10 mil a year. Especially with Ayton coming back.

His skill set does fit perfectly in today's NBA though. Good 3 point shooter and finisher on offense, super tough defender, and awesome rebounder. Plus he's as tough as nails.

Can't wait until we can play Ayton 30 minutes a game and tell him to go FLAT OUT and then put Baynes in the game and tell him to try to get 5 fouls in 18 minutes.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#88 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:13 am

LukasBMW wrote:He's 32 and in a contract year. I like him, but he's not worth 10 mil a year. Especially with Ayton coming back.

His skill set does fit perfectly in today's NBA though. Good 3 point shooter and finisher on offense, super tough defender, and awesome rebounder. Plus he's as tough as nails.

Can't wait until we can play Ayton 30 minutes a game and tell him to go FLAT OUT and then put Baynes in the game and tell him to try to get 5 fouls in 18 minutes.

He hasn't been an awesome rebounder, unless you count boxing out so Rubio or someone else can get it in your "awesome rebounder" definition.

He's averaging 5.5 a game. It's only 24 minutes a game but that's still only like 8.4 per 36, less than Kaminsky.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#89 » by LukasBMW » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:28 am

bwgood77 wrote:
LukasBMW wrote:He's 32 and in a contract year. I like him, but he's not worth 10 mil a year. Especially with Ayton coming back.

He hasn't been an awesome rebounder, unless you count boxing out so Rubio or someone else can get it in your "awesome rebounder" definition.

He's averaging 5.5 a game. It's only 24 minutes a game but that's still only like 8.4 per 36, less than Kaminsky.

That's a surprising stat. The eye test has him snagging rebounds that many of our past centers couldn't grab. But like you said...he's also boxing out which lets our smaller guys grab boards too.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#90 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:53 am

I'd consider a short two year deal while Ayton is on a rookie contract. He is a huge impact player that I think would REALLY continue to benefit Ayton being around for a couple years. He really helps set the tone.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#91 » by ATTL » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:20 am

I think Brook Lopez salary might be the market value for Baynes. Aron is a couple years older than Brook so maybe a 2 year 24 million would work for both. If some team offers something stupid like 4/48 you have to let him walk, right? paying him when hes on the other side of 35 doesnt seem smart.
hollywood6964
Analyst

Post#92 » by hollywood6964 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:41 am

ATTL wrote:I think Brook Lopez salary might be the market value for Baynes. Aron is a couple years older than Brook so maybe a 2 year 24 million would work for both. If some team offers something stupid like 4/48 you have to let him walk, right? paying him when hes on the other side of 35 doesnt seem smart.

If they're going to wait, play it out.

I can see that (not paying much after 35), but he has more of a Kurt Thomas type of rugged game, little of it's based on athleticism.

I probably would've extended him even before now, despite the cap, but waiting could, maybe, end up working out for phx.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#93 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:57 am

ATTL wrote:I think Brook Lopez salary might be the market value for Baynes. Aron is a couple years older than Brook so maybe a 2 year 24 million would work for both. If some team offers something stupid like 4/48 you have to let him walk, right? paying him when hes on the other side of 35 doesnt seem smart.

Barring injury I expect him to be effective until almost 40. He plays an old man's game--strength, smarts, skills.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#94 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:43 pm

Hes probably a MLE guy next summer. There aren't as many teams with space and most that do are rebuilding types that will probably chase younger players.

Now if some contender wants to throw a full 4 yr MLE at him I'd probably let him walk. 2 year deal is the max I'd go because of his age and that also lines up with when an Ayton extension would hit.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#95 » by Fo-Real » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:19 pm

So glad we no longer have **** vets who are just stealing money while doing nothing.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#96 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:55 pm

Fo-Real wrote:So glad we no longer have **** vets who are just stealing money while doing nothing.
Oh did you not enjoy the Brandon Knight and Tyson Chandler era? :)

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#97 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:03 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:So glad we no longer have **** vets who are just stealing money while doing nothing.
Oh did you not enjoy the Brandon Knight and Tyson Chandler era? :)

Man, everyone talks about McD's terrible drafts, but I can't believe he sunk so much money into those two either. Dudley was worthless as well.
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Post#98 » by Mystical Apples » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:29 pm

NBA players fall off a cliff somewhere around age 32 or 33 (and those are the survivorship bias winners). Baynes may get a juicy 1 + 1 TO deal but it’s also possible (likely) he’s a fringe rotation player by the end of next season.

Plus the whole cheap C replacement cost thingy. NBA teams can’t afford significant commitments to multiple 1-position centers.
geometry
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#99 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:22 am

Mystical Apples wrote:NBA players fall off a cliff somewhere around age 32 or 33 (and those are the survivorship bias winners). Baynes may get a juicy 1 + 1 TO deal but it’s also possible (likely) he’s a fringe rotation player by the end of next season.

Plus the whole cheap C replacement cost thingy. NBA teams can’t afford significant commitments to multiple 1-position centers.

I think if he wants to stay, we will keep him. He is a huge part of our success, and his 3 pt shooting is a different look than Ayton, who may or may not develop it, but I doubt anyway if he does, he will hit at a very good rate for awhile.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#100 » by darealjuice » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:21 am

I'd love to keep Baynes for another year or two, Would go a long way for someone to bang with Ayton in practice, and it's not like his game relies on athleticism.

Return to Phoenix Suns