bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Re: 2019 Summer League 

Post#421 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:35 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Desertfox wrote:Young players from Europe can have trouble adjusting early on. You guys remember how bad Dragic his first couple of years? I hate giving up on young players when the effort hasn't been put in to properly develop them. I would love to keep Bender and Okobo as end of the bench guys and see what a year of proper development does for them. The problem was when we needed them to start and produce, that is no longer the case.

Yeah, I never give up on young guys after one season. As for Bender I considered him a rookie contract project so I wouldn't mind bringing him back, but they look like they've moved on. I'll be surprised if they get rid of Okobo though.

Can't fall in love with second round picks. If you have a better prospect, you keep the better one.

Carter>Okobo, Lecque>Okobo (as a prospect).

Okobo out. He hasn't shown enough to keep him.

I agree Carter is better and Lecque is a better prospect, but he's under contract, is a development guy, and we likely lose Johnson and Carter next year. He can spend time in G league. Now if there is a great minimum option to replace him with, fine, but might as well see if he improves this year and if he doesn't, don't pick up his option next year. We have his rights at the minimum for 3 years. We still have a roster spot to add someone. No reason to pay him $1.6 million not to play for us unless there are two guys you think can really help us for the minimum. I just don't think we will cut him....perhaps, but not considering circumstances.
bhawk
Pro Prospect
And1: 713

Post#422 » by bhawk » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:20 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Desertfox wrote:Young players from Europe can have trouble adjusting early on. You guys remember how bad Dragic his first couple of years? I hate giving up on young players when the effort hasn't been put in to properly develop them. I would love to keep Bender and Okobo as end of the bench guys and see what a year of proper development does for them. The problem was when we needed them to start and produce, that is no longer the case.

Yeah, I never give up on young guys after one season. As for Bender I considered him a rookie contract project so I wouldn't mind bringing him back, but they look like they've moved on. I'll be surprised if they get rid of Okobo though.

Can't fall in love with second round picks. If you have a better prospect, you keep the better one.

Carter>Okobo, Lecque>Okobo (as a prospect).

Okobo out. He hasn't shown enough to keep him.

Agreed. What is amazing is how amerture fans can watch just 10 of summer league and know that Leque will be significantly better than Okobo. Sometimes talent is THAT obvious.

I just hope that young Leque works hard and can walk the straight and narrow. No Josh Jackson crap.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#423 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:25 pm

By that logic you could have given up on De'Aaron Fox after a year. Per 36, he had similar #s to Okobo...Okobo a better TS%, eFG%, similar ast/to ratio, steals. http://bkref.com/tiny/XQ9J5

Rookies struggle. Not saying he will be good, but giving up on guys after a year, particularly when they played on a dysfunctional team is premature, unless you desperately need the roster spot. Not sure we do.

With him and Lecque, it's not an either/or thing at this point.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#424 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:14 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

It's just hard for me to see any path to value from Elie's contract. If he figures it out 4-5 years from now, then sign him in 4-5 years. I don't see anything in his game worth exercising the team option for. The biggest problem is that he fails to break down defenses, create shots, draw defenders. He's not good at anything.

I'd rather add a player with more promise at a position of need, a position at which we don't have other young players to develop.

... I also don't think that pointing at stats is the right approach. We're down on him because he's failed the eye test, not the stats test. Fox was always intriguing because of his incredible speed. Elie doesn't have that, from what I *see* but it's cool to disagree.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#425 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:29 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

It's just hard for me to see any path to value from Elie's contract. If he figures it out 4-5 years from now, then sign him in 4-5 years. I don't see anything in his game worth exercising the team option for. The biggest problem is that he fails to break down defenses, create shots, draw defenders. He's not good at anything.

I'd rather add a player with more promise at a position of need, a position at which we don't have other young players to develop.

There is no team option. He's guaranteed this year. We pay him either way unless we trade him. It would be like cutting De'Aaron Fox after his rookie year. He shot fairly well from 3 in summer league, about 36%, mostly off the dribble. I'd let him develop since we likely lose Carter and Johnson next year. Your last few roster spots are usually development guys anyway. The problem is we had development guys at higher spots before. He would likely be 14th-15th man.

I mean it's not that big of a deal to cut him..it just doesn't seem necessary when you have to pay him anyway. They may if they want to add two other players, but he won't get much playing time, nor will likely anyone we add for the minimum. I guess I might prefer Spalding and Big Sauce, but not sure Sarver will want to eat $1.6 million to do that.

I guess if they don't think he's coachable or working hard they may consider.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#426 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:37 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

There is no team option. He's guaranteed this year. We pay him either way unless we trade him. It would be like cutting De'Aaron Fox after his rookie year. He shot fairly well from 3 in summer league, about 36%, mostly off the dribble. I'd let him develop since we likely lose Carter and Johnson next year. Your last few roster spots are usually development guys anyway. The problem is we had development guys at higher spots before. He would likely be 14th-15th man.

I mean it's not that big of a deal to cut him..it just doesn't seem necessary when you have to pay him anyway. They may if they want to add two other players, but he won't get much playing time, nor will likely anyone we add for the minimum. I guess I might prefer Spalding and Big Sauce, but not sure Sarver will want to eat $1.6 million to do that.

I guess if they don't think he's coachable or working hard they may consider.

I was talking about next year's team option. I'm saying there's basically no chance we'll keep him around beyond this year in any case.

You don't see much to be gained from cutting him; I don't see anything to be gained from keeping him. I regard his salary as a sunk cost. I'm interested in looking at other options, that's all.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#427 » by pelifan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:33 pm

Hard for me to watch NAW and not think he is exactly who the suns need at pg :noway:

Happy to see a player who I supported predraft be on my team and playing well though... miss you buddy H
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,666

Post#428 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:42 pm

I'd expect the Carter vs Okobo thing to work itself out in training camp. Hell one guy could get injured and make that decision for them. I do think it probably comes down to one or the other assuming they bring in another big. But even that's not an absolute, they could sign two bigs to the two way contracts and have the emergency depth that way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#429 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:56 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I'd expect the Carter vs Okobo thing to work itself out in training camp. Hell one guy could get injured and make that decision for them. I do think it probably comes down to one or the other assuming they bring in another big. But even that's not an absolute, they could sign two bigs to the two way contracts and have the emergency depth that way.

They still have an open roster spot to bring in a big.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,666

Post#430 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:15 am

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I'd expect the Carter vs Okobo thing to work itself out in training camp. Hell one guy could get injured and make that decision for them. I do think it probably comes down to one or the other assuming they bring in another big. But even that's not an absolute, they could sign two bigs to the two way contracts and have the emergency depth that way.

Ah for some reason I thought they were at 15 already. Then sure I'd keep Okobo around for another year. I was high on him after the pick but haven't been to impressed so far.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#431 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:23 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Ah for some reason I thought they were at 15 already. Then sure I'd keep Okobo around for another year. I was high on him after the pick but haven't been to impressed so far.

Me neither but never expect too much from young rookie PGs, especially on our dysfunctional team. I don't really care too much either way but don't see a big reason to give up this early given Carter and Johnson are likely gone next year and Lecque probably takes a couple years if he pans out and learns to shoot.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,640

Post#432 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:28 am

I don't expect them to be PG's but I expect them to do something (anything) good at least. He hasn't even shown that. Certainly would prefer Carter over Okobo.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Gorilla Warfare
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,323

Post#433 » by Gorilla Warfare » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:30 am

We should have drafted Carsen Edwards. That is the young instant offense we could use off the bench.

Also, Tacko Fall deserves to be a 10-12th man in this league for now, but sadly I think he’s going to fall down into the g-league.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#434 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:32 am

lilfishi22 wrote:I don't expect them to be PG's but I expect them to do something (anything) good at least. He hasn't even shown that. Certainly would prefer Carter over Okobo.

Me too. I don't expect to get rid of Carter either. Depth is nice and a young development guy is nice.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#435 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:02 pm

I guess we play China today at 3:30.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#436 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:45 pm

SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,089

Post#437 » by SlovenianDragon » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:08 pm

bwgood77 wrote:I guess we play China today at 3:30.

so is this our last game because the earthquake **** us?
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#438 » by Crives » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:10 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I guess we play China today at 3:30.

so is this our last game because the earthquake **** us?

Yes... poor Okobo
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,089

Post#439 » by SlovenianDragon » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:32 pm

better win by 30 lets gooo
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,483