Page 18 of 21

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:55 pm
by jcsunsfan
Crunch 99 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I won't be surprised if Rubio shoots ok from 3 this year. He shot over 35% two years ago, which was better than any returning players on our team. He obviously was probably left wide open, but that's probably not going to change much.

He dipped back down last year, but it seems like every other year he shoots around 33% or better....with a dip in the years between.


For Rubio's sake, it's too bad the Suns fired Coach Kokoskov, because Rubio arguably shot the ball the best in his career under the specific tutelage of Kokoskov. It's a too small sample, but post All Star break in the 2017/18 season, with Kokoskov in charge of coaching Rubio, Rubio averaged 15 ppg on 43.6% shooting overall and 40.9% from three on 3.8 attempts per game. Rubio and Coach Kokoskov meshed very well together. Kokoskov seemed to help Rubio shoot the ball with more confidence.

Its a two-edged sword. The offense Igor ran made poor use of Rubio. It put him in the corner shooting threes often, which is great for Rubio's percentage, he has good career numbers from the corner. But it did not put him in the position of facilitating very much, which is Rubio's greatest strength. Igor made him better at his weakness but weaker at his strength.

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:17 pm
by Crunch 99
jcsunsfan wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I won't be surprised if Rubio shoots ok from 3 this year. He shot over 35% two years ago, which was better than any returning players on our team. He obviously was probably left wide open, but that's probably not going to change much.

He dipped back down last year, but it seems like every other year he shoots around 33% or better....with a dip in the years between.


For Rubio's sake, it's too bad the Suns fired Coach Kokoskov, because Rubio arguably shot the ball the best in his career under the specific tutelage of Kokoskov. It's a too small sample, but post All Star break in the 2017/18 season, with Kokoskov in charge of coaching Rubio, Rubio averaged 15 ppg on 43.6% shooting overall and 40.9% from three on 3.8 attempts per game. Rubio and Coach Kokoskov meshed very well together. Kokoskov seemed to help Rubio shoot the ball with more confidence.

Its a two-edged sword. The offense Igor ran made poor use of Rubio. It put him in the corner shooting threes often, which is great for Rubio's percentage, he has good career numbers from the corner. But it did not put him in the position of facilitating very much, which is Rubio's greatest strength. Igor made him better at his weakness but weaker at his strength.


Good point. Early in that 17/18 season, the Jazz didn't even let Rubio finish games, which I think was a big mistake. Then he was in the games at the end, but Donovan Mitchell was bringing up the ball a lot. By the end of the season, it seemed like Rubio was bringing the ball up more.

I hope Phoenix puts the ball in his hands more. He's more apt to find a good rhythm that way. The man is relentless, and even when he isn't shooting a good percentage, he finds ways to positively impact the game. The game against USA a few days ago is a case in point. He didn't shoot the ball well, but when you add in his defense, his 7-7 free throws, his 5 steals, 7 assists and 2 turnovers, it was a good game overall. I wish Rubio all the best.

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:16 am
by jinxed
Ricky has been crushing it in the lead up to the WC. Had another 20 point performance today against DR.

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:19 pm
by Saberestar
Ricky Rubio scored an international career-high 25 points and dished out eight assists as Spain downed Argentina 84 – 76 in a preparation game before the World Cup.
Read on Twitter

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:33 pm
by jcsunsfan
Saberestar wrote:Ricky Rubio scored an international career-high 25 points and dished out eight assists as Spain downed Argentina 84 – 76 in a preparation game before the World Cup.
Read on Twitter

Box score? How did he do with his outside shooting?

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:56 pm
by Years90Suns
12 points in the last 4 minutes and 25 overall, with 4/5 in threes.

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:58 pm
by El Hespiritu
jcsunsfan wrote:Box score? How did he do with his outside shooting?


https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1866693&start=100#p78259119

Image

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:55 pm
by lilfishi22
Is Rubio the most talented player on the Spanish squad?

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:33 am
by Saberestar
lilfishi22 wrote:Is Rubio the most talented player on the Spanish squad?

I think it's Marc Gasol.

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Sun Sep 1, 2019 6:36 pm
by Saberestar

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Mon Sep 2, 2019 11:38 pm
by Saberestar

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Sun Sep 8, 2019 3:34 pm
by Wilber85
F the General board ! They talk so much smack about booker and our signing of Rubio, yet he has been ballin out in Fiba, and not one mention or positive posts !

I hope he proves everyone wrong this year and gives us a good PG

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Sun Sep 8, 2019 4:12 pm
by Saberestar
Wilber85 wrote:F the General board ! They talk so much smack about booker and our signing of Rubio, yet he has been ballin out in Fiba, and not one mention or positive posts !

I hope he proves everyone wrong this year and gives us a good PG


Watch on YouTube

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:55 pm
by Sugarless
Another great game by Rubio against Poland to help Spain make it to the semifinals. He's the undoubted leader of the Spanish NT and has been fantastic from day 1.

19 points - 5 rebounds - 9 assists - 1 steal today.

He is now also the assists leader in WC history.

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:29 pm
by sunsbg
Sugarless wrote:Another great game by Rubio against Poland to help Spain make it to the semifinals. He's the undoubted leader of the Spanish NT and has been fantastic from day 1.

19 points - 5 rebounds - 9 assists - 1 steal today.

He is now also the assists leader in WC history.


As I said after a previous game, it's a good problem to have if Rubio is your worst scorer in the starting lineup. Not that I have followed him much, but his 3PT shot when left open looks pretty stable. Then you have his D and play-making.

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:28 pm
by Saberestar

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:20 pm
by LesGrossman

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:28 pm
by m1chal
Saberestar wrote:


Yeah, Ricky played well. Bastard :evil: :D

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:54 am
by Sicnarf
Congrats to the Phoenix Suns... finally you will have again a true PG to manage on court operations... and in fact, Ricky is one of those guys way too underrated, specially if you only pay attention to numbers... stats never tell you the whole story.

I have the Suns as my surprise team for next season and definitely will be following you a lot on league pass.

Enjoy! ;-)

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:04 pm
by Saberestar
Read on Twitter