ImageImageImage

Welcome Ricky Rubio

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22, Kerrsed

hollywood6964
Starter
Posts: 2,206
And1: 976
Joined: Jul 14, 2015

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#421 » by hollywood6964 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 2:52 pm

It doesn't prove s**t. That is his biggest issue. And it's glaring. Because i recognize the issue doesn't mean I don't appreciate the other stuff he is good at. Using hyperbole of scoring 25 with no d, etc, doesn't change that. He couldn't score 25 anyway.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 59,850
And1: 33,115
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#422 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 3:03 pm

LesGrossman wrote:Besides, yes the assist numbers suffer but he is all about winning. I verified the eye test and looked up at NBA.COM, he is leading the team in fouls drawn as he was with every other team, no matter what "superstars" he played alongside. From a defensive viewpoint i feel like Baynes is the superior partner compared to Ayton as of now. He will teach people not to try layups.

Its too bad that in public perception his contribution doesnt get much respect (judging from articles, fan posts, votings etc.); if he just scored 25 and played no defense people would talk about him 24/7 regardless of the team success. Those simple basic stats have taken precedence over W/L, eye test, character, environment etc..
Edit: LOL we posted at the same time. You prove my point perfectly, but i didnt intend to comment on your post there.


I don't underestimate Rubio's impact. I remember reading that when Minnesota finished with the 5th worst record a few years back, they had an even pt differential (and/or net rating as opponent) when he was on the floor. That just goes to show how bad they must have been when he wasn't.

However, regardless of his impact, if he was a shooting threat, he'd be in the upper echelon of PGs in the NBA.
User avatar
Dual
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,387
And1: 580
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
 

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#423 » by Dual » Sun Nov 3, 2019 3:06 pm

He will be the MVP, nothing less
RiRuSuns
Sophomore
Posts: 112
And1: 103
Joined: Sep 06, 2019
   

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#424 » by RiRuSuns » Sun Nov 3, 2019 3:09 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:Rubio is suffering the most not being able to shoot. His is worse than I thought. It looks like a high schoolers who's having troubles. It's really going to hinder the sun's against tougher teams n if we can get to the playoffs.


Rubio elevates his game in the playoffs. And he just earned himself FIBA cup MVP. He doesn't disappear in big moments. Worry about other players if Suns get to playoffs.
User avatar
Crives
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,563
And1: 3,359
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
 

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#425 » by Crives » Sun Nov 3, 2019 3:14 pm

I don’t think Rubio will look a lot better when Ayton gets back.
hollywood6964
Starter
Posts: 2,206
And1: 976
Joined: Jul 14, 2015

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#426 » by hollywood6964 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 3:24 pm

RiRuSuns wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:Rubio is suffering the most not being able to shoot. His is worse than I thought. It looks like a high schoolers who's having troubles. It's really going to hinder the sun's against tougher teams n if we can get to the playoffs.


Rubio elevates his game in the playoffs. And he just earned himself FIBA cup MVP. He doesn't disappear in big moments. Worry about other players if Suns get to playoffs.

I know he's got a lot of followers on here because he's a fellow countryman, which I never understood why there'd be such an allegiance to someone based on where they were born, but such as it is. He's a career 38% shooter in the playoffs, I hope that's not stepping up his game. Either way, I'll worry about what I want to if the playoffs arise haha, and it's definitely on the short list.
User avatar
Dual
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,387
And1: 580
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
 

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#427 » by Dual » Sun Nov 3, 2019 3:32 pm

I really dont get why is so difficult to understand that there are special players as Ricky that appears a few times in a lifetime.
He is not like everybody else, he is not a good shooter, so what...
He is an amazing basketball player.
There are other fellow country men playing in the NBA all those years and I choose to follow him for what he is.
At this time is sad to me that some people can not enjoy the way he is and play the game as I do.
I'm so so so so so tired of "fighting" back the shooting argument.
BobbieL
Head Coach
Posts: 7,419
And1: 2,757
Joined: Jun 24, 2009

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#428 » by BobbieL » Sun Nov 3, 2019 4:40 pm

Rubio is doing what I thought he would do:
Pass, play good defense, get the ball to players in the offense better and not be a very good shooter. But unlike the PGs the Suns have had, at least he does the first few things very well and brings a lot of value to the team.
User avatar
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 15,182
And1: 7,794
Joined: Jul 10, 2009
Contact:
     

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#429 » by Qwigglez » Sun Nov 3, 2019 5:03 pm

Yup I didn't have lofty expectations that Rubio would suddenly become a 40% shooter from 3. I didn't expect him to average 20 points a game. He isn't out there trying to do stuff that he isn't good at. He is excelling at what he is capable of doing, which is play defense, pass the ball, and make plays. His rebounding numbers are a career high, though I expect that to eventually drop a bit. He could however be grabbing more boards because of Monty's system and the coach is telling him to go after rebounds.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
Posts: 12,747
And1: 8,368
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#430 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 3, 2019 5:10 pm

IMO the biggest impact Rubio has is his calming presence. It sounds simple but just the ability to get this team in a good offensive set and his knowledge of when to push the ball and when to pull it out and run half court has been huge and something they have been missing for years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
User avatar
ensiferum
Senior
Posts: 512
And1: 220
Joined: Jan 15, 2012

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#431 » by ensiferum » Sun Nov 3, 2019 5:15 pm

My dear poster LesGrossman is not spanish. He just likes a PG that makes a team play as a team. There are worse shooters in NBA, that are only in NBA because they are athletics and tall. I won't name them, but there are plenty.
User avatar
Dual
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,387
And1: 580
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
 

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#432 » by Dual » Sun Nov 3, 2019 5:18 pm

Qwigglez wrote:Yup I didn't have lofty expectations that Rubio would suddenly become a 40% shooter from 3. I didn't expect him to average 20 points a game. He isn't out there trying to do stuff that he isn't good at. He is excelling at what he is capable of doing, which is play defense, pass the ball, and make plays. His rebounding numbers are a career high, though I expect that to eventually drop a bit. He could however be grabbing more boards because of Monty's system and the coach is telling him to go after rebounds.

In Minnesota was always a triple double threat, and some times getting short because of the points hehe, he is better offensively than he was in Minnesota ofc.
But as I said a lot of times, for him it only matters have people happy and engaged and the team winning, his stats mean nothing to him.
TheLoon
Freshman
Posts: 71
And1: 18
Joined: Feb 02, 2014
       

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#433 » by TheLoon » Sun Nov 3, 2019 5:22 pm

Dude can't shoot but I'm digging the rest of his game
LesGrossman
Veteran
Posts: 2,665
And1: 1,198
Joined: Mar 24, 2014
 

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#434 » by LesGrossman » Sun Nov 3, 2019 5:53 pm

Qwigglez wrote:Yup I didn't have lofty expectations that Rubio would suddenly become a 40% shooter from 3. I didn't expect him to average 20 points a game. He isn't out there trying to do stuff that he isn't good at. He is excelling at what he is capable of doing, which is play defense, pass the ball, and make plays. His rebounding numbers are a career high, though I expect that to eventually drop a bit. He could however be grabbing more boards because of Monty's system and the coach is telling him to go after rebounds.

Top Rebounders of the Phoenix Suns according to https://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/?sort=REB&dir=-1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612756:
1. Ayton 11.0 REB/Game
2. Saric 6.5 REB/Game
3. Rubio 6.4 REB/Game
hollywood6964
Starter
Posts: 2,206
And1: 976
Joined: Jul 14, 2015

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#435 » by hollywood6964 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 6:04 pm

I hate when people defend a player to a gross fault. Why is this a discussion. The guy's been in the league for years, he isn't getting any better.

pros-
runs the offense well
a decent to good rebounder at the pg position
good passing vision
good defender

cons-
finishing around the rim not very good
one of the worst shooting pgs in the league, especially with a starting job

extras-
team mates seem to like him well enough, very important

Overall he's a nice player. A decent piece on the right team. If he could shoot, especially an actual jump shot, would be an elite pg, but if I were 6 inches taller, I might have made it into the league as well, but alas.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 59,850
And1: 33,115
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#436 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 6:16 pm

Crives wrote:I don’t think Rubio will look a lot better when Ayton gets back.


I think he will definitely look better. Not sure why you don't think so.
User avatar
Dual
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,387
And1: 580
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
 

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#437 » by Dual » Sun Nov 3, 2019 6:56 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:I hate when people defend a player to a gross fault. Why is this a discussion. The guy's been in the league for years, he isn't getting any better.

pros-
runs the offense well
a decent to good rebounder at the pg position
good passing vision
good defender

cons-
finishing around the rim not very good
one of the worst shooting pgs in the league, especially with a starting job

extras-
team mates seem to like him well enough, very important

Overall he's a nice player. A decent piece on the right team. If he could shoot, especially an actual jump shot, would be an elite pg, but if I were 6 inches taller, I might have made it into the league as well, but alas.

I think we agree in most of that. I wouldn't call him just decent by any means, but ok.
And then I ask you, what's wrong on being a fan of a player like him, that you say we defend him just because he is spanish :-? .
User avatar
Crives
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,563
And1: 3,359
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
 

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#438 » by Crives » Sun Nov 3, 2019 7:11 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Crives wrote:I don’t think Rubio will look a lot better when Ayton gets back.


I think he will definitely look better. Not sure why you don't think so.


Lol...

Typo, I meant I think he will look a lot better.. Ayton is going to feast with Rubio getting him the ball.
RiRuSuns
Sophomore
Posts: 112
And1: 103
Joined: Sep 06, 2019
   

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#439 » by RiRuSuns » Sun Nov 3, 2019 8:26 pm

Crives wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Crives wrote:I don’t think Rubio will look a lot better when Ayton gets back.


I think he will definitely look better. Not sure why you don't think so.


Lol...

Typo, I meant I think he will look a lot better.. Ayton is going to feast with Rubio getting him the ball.


And in return the presence and threat of Ayton going to create more semi open layups for Rubio as defenses are more worried with Ayton on P'N'R.
LesGrossman
Veteran
Posts: 2,665
And1: 1,198
Joined: Mar 24, 2014
 

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#440 » by LesGrossman » Sun Nov 3, 2019 8:27 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:I hate when people defend a player to a gross fault. Why is this a discussion. The guy's been in the league for years, he isn't getting any better.

pros-
runs the offense well
a decent to good rebounder at the pg position
good passing vision
good defender

cons-
finishing around the rim not very good
one of the worst shooting pgs in the league, especially with a starting job

extras-
team mates seem to like him well enough, very important

Overall he's a nice player. A decent piece on the right team. If he could shoot, especially an actual jump shot, would be an elite pg, but if I were 6 inches taller, I might have made it into the league as well, but alas.

And i dislike when people simplify this beautifully complex game because of their personal horizon or preferences. He isnt a great shooter. Not as bad as he seems at this point but that is something everyone who follows him knows - he always starts very slow. Still, the last games were absolutely ok in terms of shooting. First of all he doesnt take many shots if he has other options, so the difference between 30% and 50% may be two more made shots at all. Big deal. Secondly, you have to see that he often gets the ball in the last second and he takes the hesitation shot because noone else wants to hurt their stats. And with all of this his numbers were not as bad as you make it appear.

Second, his game is not standing outside to catch and shoot. That is something i wrote in here before the season started. Putting him in that role is just a coaching mistake. He can be neglegted in some games from 3pt range (but in others he was 80% from outside). But when he has the ball and is allowed to dribble and penetrate, noone can ignore him; rather the opposite, he frequently draws two or three defenders before finding the open man. That is not so hard to see if you just look instead of trying to prove what you thought you know beforehand.

Return to Phoenix Suns