F
3%

Total votes: 75

Jorgeglez7
Sophomore
And1: 92

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#441 » by Jorgeglez7 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 8:38 pm

Rubio will end up shooting better. Hes already showed in Utah and in this world cup that he has improved a lot. He is just warming up. Even though he is not a great shooter, thing which is not really going to make any differences as he will take around 10 shots per game, not more. What really matters is that the defender gotta go defend him due to his ability to score. Hes already solved that. Games like todays against the grizzlies already showed that. He controlled the game at will with dribble penetration generating advantages every time. Not only that, but the tempo control of the game was just incredible. He transmits this calm to the rest of the team and they just make better decisions. For gods sake, even the memphis broadcasters were about to suck his ... during the whole game.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#442 » by Dual » Sun Nov 3, 2019 11:18 pm

Hahaha I saw Phoenix broadcast but my brother saw Memphis broadcast and told me the same, that they were praising Ricky all game long.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#443 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 11:23 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
PharmD wrote:
sunsfever68 wrote:Ricky is going to help Mikal the most. Mikal needs a real pg the most of anyone. Booker and Oubre can get their own shots, they'll definitely benefit, but Mikal and Ayton will be the biggest winners from having a real point guard.

I feel like those 2 have really good chemistry. Mikal is a really clever player and a great cutter. Like you said, Mikal benefits a lot from a smart PG that can find him on those cuts. And Ricky needs guys to make those types of cuts; if the ball gets stuck in his hands he's in trouble.

Bored with extra hour overnight at work so I made some Ricky gifs.

Great Mikal cut:

Spoiler:

Reminds me of this terrific one from opening night:

Spoiler:

I'd like to see the 2 of them play together more. But Ricky and Oubre are working great together in the open court! When the ball is at half court here or even at the arc are you picturing one more dribble and an Oubre dunk?

Spoiler:

Another reason I'd love Mikal in the starting lineup. Benefitting from Rubio, superior team D next to Book and general team play. I don't think Oubre will be moved out of starting lineup but think it would be wise.

We have very little high level playmaking off the bench and hopefully that's something Jerome can solve but I wouldn't put that burden on the rookie. I would certainly love to see Mikal play more minutes with Rubio because he's the kind of player that really is a systems kinda guy. He needs a good system with a good playmaker that find him shots. Oubre on the other hand, I feel like he's good enough that he doesn't need Rubio's high level playmaking to be productive. Rubio's found him many times for easy shots but I don't really think most of his offense comes directly from high level playmaking from Rubio. So I would certainly be in favor of starting Bridges over Oubre because I think our bench could certainly use a legit shot creator in Oubre. We will miss Oubre's tone setting style of play though, that's for sure.

I don't think it's gonna happen either nor do I think its a very popular opinion but it's something I would like to try.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,637

Post#444 » by Saberestar » Sun Nov 3, 2019 11:25 pm

"We're coming along pretty well. Tonight was a good test for us. We played good and then we started playing bad in the second quarter and then we regrouped and played better in the second half. I think everybody is starting to be on the same page and getting better every day. That's what we want to do. It's a long season. It's only six games in, but we have to be happy with the work we've put in. We've just got to keep working."

https://twitter.com/DuaneRankin
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#445 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 11:37 pm

Dual wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:I hate when people defend a player to a gross fault. Why is this a discussion. The guy's been in the league for years, he isn't getting any better.

pros-
runs the offense well
a decent to good rebounder at the pg position
good passing vision
good defender

cons-
finishing around the rim not very good
one of the worst shooting pgs in the league, especially with a starting job

extras-
team mates seem to like him well enough, very important

Overall he's a nice player. A decent piece on the right team. If he could shoot, especially an actual jump shot, would be an elite pg, but if I were 6 inches taller, I might have made it into the league as well, but alas.

I think we agree in most of that. I wouldn't call him just decent by any means, but ok.
And then I ask you, what's wrong on being a fan of a player like him, that you say we defend him just because he is spanish :-? .

Nothing wrong with being a player fan. I love Nash and I full recognise his defense stinks, doesn't make me less of a fan.

But just because you're a player fan and you're OK with overlooking his lack of shooting, doesn't mean other Suns fan can't criticise his poor shooting.
Dual
Veteran

Post#446 » by Dual » Sun Nov 3, 2019 11:49 pm

I guess what I lived all this years with some fans bashing Ricky all day, made me thin-skinned.
You are right, I will stay aside of this matter (or try too).
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#447 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 11:56 pm

Dual wrote:I guess what I lived all this years with some fans bashing Ricky all day, made me thin-skinned.
You are right, I will stay aside of this matter (or try too).

It's not about staying out of the discussion. Your contribution is most welcome and encouraged. We have a forum because people have opinions and want to voice it.

The thing is that you shouldn't expect other fans to be a Rubio super fan too and are content with overlooking his poor shooting. And for that matter, I don't think anyone is overlooking his positives like his defense, high level playmaking, rebounding and his intangibles like his leadership, tempo setting and just being well liked by the team
Dual
Veteran

Post#448 » by Dual » Mon Nov 4, 2019 12:01 am

I hope that will sustain and shooting will not make all other qualities pointless for the fans.
But as you said I can't control that.
I just really want that this will work and Rubio can retire as a Suns player.
I love this franchise.
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#449 » by hollywood6964 » Mon Nov 4, 2019 1:18 am

LesGrossman wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:I hate when people defend a player to a gross fault. Why is this a discussion. The guy's been in the league for years, he isn't getting any better.

pros-
runs the offense well
good passing vision
good defender

cons-

extras-

Overall he's a nice player. A decent piece on the right team. If he could shoot, especially an actual jump shot, would be an elite pg, but if I were 6 inches taller, I might have made it into the league as well, but alas.

And i dislike when people simplify this beautifully complex game because of their personal horizon or preferences. He isnt a great shooter. Not as bad as he seems at this point but that is something everyone who follows him knows - he always starts very slow. Still, the last games were absolutely ok in terms of shooting. First of all he doesnt take many shots if he has other options, so the difference between 30% and 50% may be two more made shots at all. Big deal. Secondly, you have to see that he often gets the ball in the last second and he takes the hesitation shot because noone else wants to hurt their stats. And with all of this his numbers were not as bad as you make it appear.

Second, his game is not standing outside to catch and shoot. That is something i wrote in here before the season started. Putting him in that role is just a coaching mistake. He can be neglegted in some games from 3pt range (but in others he was 80% from outside). But when he has the ball and is allowed to dribble and penetrate, noone can ignore him; rather the opposite, he frequently draws two or three defenders before finding the open man. That is not so hard to see if you just look instead of trying to prove what you thought you know beforehand.

You may not like when somebody does that ("And i dislike when people simplify this beautifully complex game because of their personal horizon or preferences"), but that doesn't remotely suggest that's what I was doing, and no fair minded person would think so either. I like rubio well enough as a player, but he has faults that bring his game down a couple notches- his shooting n finishing ability. Don't take it personal.

As far as the "First of all he doesnt take many shots if he has other options, so the difference between 30% and 50% may be two more made shots at all. Big deal." If he could shoot more, he'd get more opportunities n take them. There'd be nothing wrong with that, hell Steve Nash was a playmaker supreme, but took many shots n would make defenses pay when he had the chance. that's just one example.

"instead of trying to prove what you thought you know beforehand", this is just sillyness. Moving on.
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#450 » by hollywood6964 » Mon Nov 4, 2019 1:25 am

Dual wrote:

pros-
runs the offense well
good passing vision
good defender

cons-

extras-

I think we agree in most of that. I wouldn't call him just decent by any means, but ok.
And then I ask you, what's wrong on being a fan of a player like him, that you say we defend him just because he is spanish :-? .

Nothing wrong with being a fan of a certain player. I am too, but I recognize players faults n judge the importance of them in an unbiased way. How it goes.

As far as having such a strong allegiance to a particular player because of the state or country he was born/grew up in? That's a different thing entirely. That, I don't get. And it happens a lot. Channing Frye grew up on AZ, went to high school around me, at the same time I did, and I knew a few of the same people. So what. I was highly critical of his soft play and how we were so committed to him when we had a shot to win a title. Meanwhile, people I knew would give him a huge pass because he was from here, etc, etc., but they would kill Amare for his crap D n lack of rebounding at times.

Now when you combine favorite player with geographical allegiance, oh boy, you end up with a super-duper fan! The kind that is not to be reasoned with haha. I'm not saying anyone in particular is doing that with Rubio, but it's certainly possible.
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,812

Post#451 » by RiRuHoops » Mon Nov 4, 2019 2:35 am

I think Monty doesn't do a good job of separating Book's and Rick's time on the floor. The chemistry isn't there but one of them has to be on the floor at all time. Kind of like Harden/CP3 in Houston did it. I hate seeing Carter/Tyler backcourt even for a couple of minutes at a time.

I know Carter is a good story but he's a poor playmaker, Point Book is better. Carter is in for his defense, but I'd rather see Bridges take more minutes and provide that defense in the backcourt
Maybe
backcourt
Rubio / Book / Carter 3rd string
Book / Brigdes / some Tyler minutes

SF minutes go mostly to Oubre & Cam, but Bridges get some occasional minutes there too. Oubre or Cam get occasional minutes at PF
'
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#452 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Nov 4, 2019 2:41 am

hollywood6964 wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:

pros-
runs the offense well
good passing vision
good defender

cons-

extras-

And i dislike when people simplify this beautifully complex game because of their personal horizon or preferences. He isnt a great shooter. Not as bad as he seems at this point but that is something everyone who follows him knows - he always starts very slow. Still, the last games were absolutely ok in terms of shooting. First of all he doesnt take many shots if he has other options, so the difference between 30% and 50% may be two more made shots at all. Big deal. Secondly, you have to see that he often gets the ball in the last second and he takes the hesitation shot because noone else wants to hurt their stats. And with all of this his numbers were not as bad as you make it appear.

Second, his game is not standing outside to catch and shoot. That is something i wrote in here before the season started. Putting him in that role is just a coaching mistake. He can be neglegted in some games from 3pt range (but in others he was 80% from outside). But when he has the ball and is allowed to dribble and penetrate, noone can ignore him; rather the opposite, he frequently draws two or three defenders before finding the open man. That is not so hard to see if you just look instead of trying to prove what you thought you know beforehand.

You may not like when somebody does that ("And i dislike when people simplify this beautifully complex game because of their personal horizon or preferences"), but that doesn't remotely suggest that's what I was doing, and no fair minded person would think so either. I like rubio well enough as a player, but he has faults that bring his game down a couple notches- his shooting n finishing ability. Don't take it personal.

As far as the "First of all he doesnt take many shots if he has other options, so the difference between 30% and 50% may be two more made shots at all. Big deal." If he could shoot more, he'd get more opportunities n take them. There'd be nothing wrong with that, hell Steve Nash was a playmaker supreme, but took many shots n would make defenses pay when he had the chance. that's just one example.

"instead of trying to prove what you thought you know beforehand", this is just sillyness. Moving on.

No player is above criticism. The moment a player becomes above that in the eyes of a fan, it's no longer about basketball
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#453 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Nov 4, 2019 2:46 am

RiRuSuns wrote:I think Monty doesn't do a good job of separating Book's and Rick's time on the floor. The chemistry isn't there but one of them has to be on the floor at all time. Kind of like Harden/CP3 in Houston did it. I hate seeing Carter/Tyler backcourt even for a couple of minutes at a time.

I know Carter is a good story but he's a poor playmaker, Point Book is better. Carter is in for his defense, but I'd rather see Bridges take more minutes and provide that defense in the backcourt
Maybe
backcourt

SF minutes go mostly to Oubre & Cam, but Bridges get some occasional minutes there too. Oubre or Cam get occasional minutes at PF
'

Maybe it's just me but calling Rubio "Rick" is super uncomfortable to me lol

He's a Ricardo, Ricky, Rubio...but RIck....lol
Ranger
Sophomore
And1: 144

Post#454 » by Ranger » Mon Nov 4, 2019 2:51 am

Just popping in to say that I miss Rubio. Can we have him back, please?
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,296

Post#455 » by sunskerr » Mon Nov 4, 2019 3:08 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Maybe it's just me but calling Rubio "Rick" is super uncomfortable to me lol

LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#456 » by LesGrossman » Mon Nov 4, 2019 6:27 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:And i dislike when people simplify this beautifully complex game because of their personal horizon or preferences. He isnt a great shooter. Not as bad as he seems at this point but that is something everyone who follows him knows - he always starts very slow. Still, the last games were absolutely ok in terms of shooting. First of all he doesnt take many shots if he has other options, so the difference between 30% and 50% may be two more made shots at all. Big deal. Secondly, you have to see that he often gets the ball in the last second and he takes the hesitation shot because noone else wants to hurt their stats. And with all of this his numbers were not as bad as you make it appear.

No player is above criticism. The moment a player becomes above that in the eyes of a fan, it's no longer about basketball

Absolutely agree. WHat triggers me is not criticism per se but rather questioning the value of a player in general because of something i consider a minor flaw. I think many people have a pre-set idea of what a point guard should look like, be able to do, and so on, but the beauty of the game is that its not a computer game, guys show up with completely different and unexpected skill set and that is not a bad thing. LIke someone claimed Ricky would be in the suns way should they reach the playoffs, becuse he isnt a great 3pt shooter. That is so ignorant that i have a hard time leaving it uncommented.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Jorgeglez7
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#457 » by Jorgeglez7 » Mon Nov 4, 2019 7:27 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
RiRuSuns wrote:I think Monty doesn't do a good job of separating Book's and Rick's time on the floor. The chemistry isn't there but one of them has to be on the floor at all time. Kind of like Harden/CP3 in Houston did it. I hate seeing Carter/Tyler backcourt even for a couple of minutes at a time.

Maybe
backcourt

'

Agree :D . Just for you to know, he is not Ricardo, he is Ricard, as he is from Catalonia.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#458 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Nov 4, 2019 8:23 am

Jorgeglez7 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

Maybe
backcourt

'

Agree :D . Just for you to know, he is not Ricardo, he is Ricard, as he is from Catalonia.

Ahh I remember seeing somewhere his full name was Ricardo but you're probably more well versed in Spanish names and regions than myself

Ricard > Rick
Extremo
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#459 » by Extremo » Mon Nov 4, 2019 12:47 pm

He can have a game like this, but the most important thing for him is that the team wins. People saying a team can´t be elite because of him, is mistaken imho.
Dual
Veteran

Post#460 » by Dual » Mon Nov 4, 2019 1:43 pm

Return to Phoenix Suns