ImageImageImage

2019 season speculation

Moderators: bwgood77, lilfishi22, Kerrsed, Qwigglez

This summer if you could only keep one, Baynes at $10mil + or Saric at $15mil +, who do you choose?

Baynes at $10 million
15
58%
Saric at $15 million
11
42%
 
Total votes: 26

User avatar
MathiasPW
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,469
And1: 2,624
Joined: Jan 02, 2010
Location: Brazil
   

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 39 more days til season opener! 

Post#141 » by MathiasPW » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:50 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
GoodBehavior wrote:
That Mikal picture was a flexed one and probably misleading. I have seen other pictures and this recent one. He hasn't gain much if any. His legs are non-existing.

I would love for Cam to the play 4, but he has a crappy frame to add weight. And given his age, odds are against it.


Man, some guys just have skinny legs. I've seen big leapers with big legs and stick legs alike. Strength isn't always evidenced by sheer size.


Also, most of the important leg exercises or even full body exercises like squats and deadlifts are not going to do much to your calves. You can have a really strong core and quads/hamstrings with skinny calves. I'm not saying those guys DO have strong quads/hamstrings/cores but all you really see there are the calves so I wouldn't put too much stock in just that.

Plus, in general, these slender guys with long wingspans, it's going to be VERY hard for them to put on a lot of muscle. KD never really did....along with many others.

Ayton, on the other hand, though I haven't seen many pictures of him lately, whenever I see him he looks more out of shape than he did in college....seems like he has enjoyed his money and eats and has fun.....never seems like he loses that baby fat in his face. But even when he was more cut and ripped, he still played soft with his weak screens and all....screened like Bender...hopefully he takes some notes from Baynes in this area.


#fatshaming
Image
Saberestar
RealGM
Posts: 11,017
And1: 6,864
Joined: May 21, 2010

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 35 more days til season opener! 

Post#142 » by Saberestar » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:29 pm

Thinking about possible lineups, I am a bit concerned about the lack of defensive minded players on our bench. Not too many smart defenders on the roster and two of them (Rubio and Bridges) will start.

Our starting five will probably be Rubio, Book, Bridges, Saric and Ayton... so our bench unit would be:

PG Tyler Johnson
SG Cam Johnson OR Ty Jerome
SF Kelly Oubre
PF Frank Kaminsky
C Aron Baynes

That is a solid offensive lineup with a lot of shooting (all five players are threats from three) but the only smart and good defender is Baynes. Oubre and Tyler play hard and aggressive on defense, but I think they are neutral players on that end.

Kaminsky is close to a liability on defense and I expect the rookies to be poor defenders at the beginning of the season. They will improve with experience.

Not sure if we are gonna concede minutes to Jevon Carter or Diallo, but both are defensive minded players. I would consider to include at least one of them on the rotation.

We will see... but it would be great to find a full backup unit that fits perfectly together on both ends. That's why we were so good in 2009/10 with Dragic, Barbosa, Dudley, Amundson and Frye coming from the bench.
In2ition
Senior
Posts: 580
And1: 247
Joined: Jan 24, 2014

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 35 more days til season opener! 

Post#143 » by In2ition » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:45 pm

Saberestar wrote:Thinking about possible lineups, I am a bit concerned about the lack of defensive minded players on our bench. Not too many smart defenders on the roster and two of them (Rubio and Bridges) will start.

Our starting five will probably be Rubio, Book, Bridges, Saric and Ayton... so our bench unit would be:

PG Tyler Johnson
SG Cam Johnson OR Ty Jerome
SF Kelly Oubre
PF Frank Kaminsky
C Aron Baynes

That is a solid offensive lineup with a lot of shooting (all five players are threats from three) but the only smart and good defender is Baynes. Oubre and Tyler play hard and aggressive on defense, but I think they are neutral players on that end.

Kaminsky is close to a liability on defense and I expect the rookies to be poor defenders at the beginning of the season. They will improve with experience.

Not sure if we are gonna concede minutes to Jevon Carter or Diallo, but both are defensive minded players. I would consider to include at least one of them on the rotation.

We will see... but it would be great to find a full backup unit that fits perfectly together on both ends. That's why we were so good in 2009/10 with Dragic, Barbosa, Dudley, Amundson and Frye coming from the bench.


It's entirely possible that Oubre starts over Bridges. In this scenario for the bench, I could see Ty Jerome play the PG and Tyler Johnson playing in his more natural role of SG. Also, Diallo could* beat out Kaminsky. Then you have Johnson, Bridges, Diallo and Baynes as your bench unit, which would be very solid on paper on Defense. If Carter beats out Jerome(highly unlikely imo), you then have 5 solid defenders out there. I'm not sure how much time the full bench will be out there playing together though.
Saberestar
RealGM
Posts: 11,017
And1: 6,864
Joined: May 21, 2010

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 35 more days til season opener! 

Post#144 » by Saberestar » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:58 pm

In2ition wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Thinking about possible lineups, I am a bit concerned about the lack of defensive minded players on our bench. Not too many smart defenders on the roster and two of them (Rubio and Bridges) will start.

Our starting five will probably be Rubio, Book, Bridges, Saric and Ayton... so our bench unit would be:

PG Tyler Johnson
SG Cam Johnson OR Ty Jerome
SF Kelly Oubre
PF Frank Kaminsky
C Aron Baynes

That is a solid offensive lineup with a lot of shooting (all five players are threats from three) but the only smart and good defender is Baynes. Oubre and Tyler play hard and aggressive on defense, but I think they are neutral players on that end.

Kaminsky is close to a liability on defense and I expect the rookies to be poor defenders at the beginning of the season. They will improve with experience.

Not sure if we are gonna concede minutes to Jevon Carter or Diallo, but both are defensive minded players. I would consider to include at least one of them on the rotation.

We will see... but it would be great to find a full backup unit that fits perfectly together on both ends. That's why we were so good in 2009/10 with Dragic, Barbosa, Dudley, Amundson and Frye coming from the bench.


It's entirely possible that Oubre starts over Bridges. In this scenario for the bench, I could see Ty Jerome play the PG and Tyler Johnson playing in his more natural role of SG. Also, Diallo could* beat out Kaminsky. Then you have Johnson, Bridges, Diallo and Baynes as your bench unit, which would be very solid on paper on Defense. If Carter beats out Jerome(highly unlikely imo), you then have 5 solid defenders out there. I'm not sure how much time the full bench will be out there playing together though.

Yeah, that's true, but I think that would be a mistake because Oubre is a high usage offensive player and we have already too many of them in the starting lineup.

We need to remember that Saric plays his best basketball when he has the opportunity to create a bit for himself or others...and you have Rubio, Book and Ayton too. Bridges looks perfect in that mix because he doesn't need the ball.

I agree with you about the possibility of Carter/Diallo beating out Jerome/Kaminsky. Long shot on paper...but could happen.
Fo-Real
Head Coach
Posts: 6,073
And1: 2,543
Joined: Mar 21, 2009
     

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 35 more days til season opener! 

Post#145 » by Fo-Real » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:58 pm

Oubre is the starter.
nevetsov
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,377
And1: 1,108
Joined: Jan 11, 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:
 

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 35 more days til season opener! 

Post#146 » by nevetsov » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:09 pm

Yeah I'd be surprised if we paid Kelly out to come off the bench behind Bridges. I think Bridges will see backup minutes at both wing spots, playing alongside both Booker and Oubre in (mostly) a three man rotation.
User avatar
Crives
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,469
And1: 3,295
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
 

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 35 more days til season opener! 

Post#147 » by Crives » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:31 pm

We have a ton of shooting off the bench.... but nobody who can slash and break down a defense... Oubre should play a ton of minutes with the 2nd unit.
User avatar
Crives
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,469
And1: 3,295
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
 

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 35 more days til season opener! 

Post#148 » by Crives » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:47 pm

Is this a much bigger staff then before?
Read on Twitter
?s=21
cberry78
Junior
Posts: 300
And1: 260
Joined: Apr 21, 2015
 

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 35 more days til season opener! 

Post#149 » by cberry78 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:25 pm

Oubre will start at the 3 with Booker and Rubio, but he will be the first one to go to the bench for Bridges. Then he'll come back in for either Rubio or Booker depending on the situation and will be slotted in at the 2 with either Rubio or Booker manning the 1.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,007
And1: 4,270
Joined: Dec 20, 2006
     

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 35 more days til season opener! 

Post#150 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:25 am

This is a solid, versatile line up. Looking forward to watching this team.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 59,148
And1: 32,713
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 35 more days til season opener! 

Post#151 » by bwgood77 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:55 pm

I'll be a little surprised if Oubre beats out Bridges for a spot. We need defense in the first unit and Bridges is far and away the smarter player overall who will make the right play. I imagine he will have worked hard and make big improvements from year 1 to year 2.

I guess I shouldn't say I'd be surprised, because nothing with this team surprises me anymore, but Bridges certainly should start, not only because he's the better player but because his skillset makes more sense with the starters and Oubre's with the bench players.
In2ition
Senior
Posts: 580
And1: 247
Joined: Jan 24, 2014

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 35 more days til season opener! 

Post#152 » by In2ition » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:23 pm

bwgood77 wrote:I'll be a little surprised if Oubre beats out Bridges for a spot. We need defense in the first unit and Bridges is far and away the smarter player overall who will make the right play. I imagine he will have worked hard and make big improvements from year 1 to year 2.

I guess I shouldn't say I'd be surprised, because nothing with this team surprises me anymore, but Bridges certainly should start, not only because he's the better player but because his skillset makes more sense with the starters and Oubre's with the bench players.

I agree with the need for Bridges skillset in the starting lineup and if his jumper comes back, but it's going to come down to chemistry. Last year, Oubre brought nearly the same amount of deflections, but brought some slashing, weakside shot blocking and most important energy insertion that improved the team incredibly in that short stint before getting hurt. They essentially won 6 out of those 12 games.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 59,148
And1: 32,713
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 35 more days til season opener! 

Post#153 » by bwgood77 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:00 pm

In2ition wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I'll be a little surprised if Oubre beats out Bridges for a spot. We need defense in the first unit and Bridges is far and away the smarter player overall who will make the right play. I imagine he will have worked hard and make big improvements from year 1 to year 2.

I guess I shouldn't say I'd be surprised, because nothing with this team surprises me anymore, but Bridges certainly should start, not only because he's the better player but because his skillset makes more sense with the starters and Oubre's with the bench players.

I agree with the need for Bridges skillset in the starting lineup and if his jumper comes back, but it's going to come down to chemistry. Last year, Oubre brought nearly the same amount of deflections, but brought some slashing, weakside shot blocking and most important energy insertion that improved the team incredibly in that short stint before getting hurt. They essentially won 6 out of those 12 games.


He was there long before that though as we kept losing and even Booker said it's as bad as it's ever been quite a while after he arrived. I think the big change was when Tyler showed up and told them what other teams thought of them and provided some leadership and stability at PG.
In2ition
Senior
Posts: 580
And1: 247
Joined: Jan 24, 2014

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 35 more days til season opener! 

Post#154 » by In2ition » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:26 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
In2ition wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I'll be a little surprised if Oubre beats out Bridges for a spot. We need defense in the first unit and Bridges is far and away the smarter player overall who will make the right play. I imagine he will have worked hard and make big improvements from year 1 to year 2.

I guess I shouldn't say I'd be surprised, because nothing with this team surprises me anymore, but Bridges certainly should start, not only because he's the better player but because his skillset makes more sense with the starters and Oubre's with the bench players.

I agree with the need for Bridges skillset in the starting lineup and if his jumper comes back, but it's going to come down to chemistry. Last year, Oubre brought nearly the same amount of deflections, but brought some slashing, weakside shot blocking and most important energy insertion that improved the team incredibly in that short stint before getting hurt. They essentially won 6 out of those 12 games.


He was there long before that though as we kept losing and even Booker said it's as bad as it's ever been quite a while after he arrived. I think the big change was when Tyler showed up and told them what other teams thought of them and provided some leadership and stability at PG.

I agree that it was a combination, but it didn't totally click until Kelly was inserted.
AtheJ415
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,241
And1: 4,017
Joined: Jul 07, 2014

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 35 more days til season opener! 

Post#155 » by AtheJ415 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:56 pm

Saberestar wrote:Thinking about possible lineups, I am a bit concerned about the lack of defensive minded players on our bench. Not too many smart defenders on the roster and two of them (Rubio and Bridges) will start.

Our starting five will probably be Rubio, Book, Bridges, Saric and Ayton... so our bench unit would be:

PG Tyler Johnson
SG Cam Johnson OR Ty Jerome
SF Kelly Oubre
PF Frank Kaminsky
C Aron Baynes

That is a solid offensive lineup with a lot of shooting (all five players are threats from three) but the only smart and good defender is Baynes. Oubre and Tyler play hard and aggressive on defense, but I think they are neutral players on that end.

Kaminsky is close to a liability on defense and I expect the rookies to be poor defenders at the beginning of the season. They will improve with experience.

Not sure if we are gonna concede minutes to Jevon Carter or Diallo, but both are defensive minded players. I would consider to include at least one of them on the rotation.

We will see... but it would be great to find a full backup unit that fits perfectly together on both ends. That's why we were so good in 2009/10 with Dragic, Barbosa, Dudley, Amundson and Frye coming from the bench.


Kaminsky is absolutely a liability defensively. They should've done better with that money.

Also if Cam Johnson is playing SG we are screwed. No freaking way that dude is guarding 2s. I still don't believe he can guard a bad 3.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,007
And1: 4,270
Joined: Dec 20, 2006
     

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 35 more days til season opener! 

Post#156 » by jcsunsfan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:20 pm

AtheJ415 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Thinking about possible lineups, I am a bit concerned about the lack of defensive minded players on our bench. Not too many smart defenders on the roster and two of them (Rubio and Bridges) will start.

Our starting five will probably be Rubio, Book, Bridges, Saric and Ayton... so our bench unit would be:

PG Tyler Johnson
SG Cam Johnson OR Ty Jerome
SF Kelly Oubre
PF Frank Kaminsky
C Aron Baynes

That is a solid offensive lineup with a lot of shooting (all five players are threats from three) but the only smart and good defender is Baynes. Oubre and Tyler play hard and aggressive on defense, but I think they are neutral players on that end.

Kaminsky is close to a liability on defense and I expect the rookies to be poor defenders at the beginning of the season. They will improve with experience.

Not sure if we are gonna concede minutes to Jevon Carter or Diallo, but both are defensive minded players. I would consider to include at least one of them on the rotation.

We will see... but it would be great to find a full backup unit that fits perfectly together on both ends. That's why we were so good in 2009/10 with Dragic, Barbosa, Dudley, Amundson and Frye coming from the bench.


Kaminsky is absolutely a liability defensively. They should've done better with that money.

Also if Cam Johnson is playing SG we are screwed. No freaking way that dude is guarding 2s. I still don't believe he can guard a bad 3.

Where is this narrative coming from regarding Cam Johnson's defense? He was a good defender in college. His Ortg was 132 and Drtg was 98. That is not shabby. To put it in perpective, Cam and Mikal had the same defensive rating in their final college seasons. Now I do not think Cam will be on Mikal's level, but he is by no means a bad defender.

I think what people are doing is over rating his lack of athleticism and then assuming that means he will be a bad defender. It is wrong thinking.
User avatar
MathiasPW
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,469
And1: 2,624
Joined: Jan 02, 2010
Location: Brazil
   

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 35 more days til season opener! 

Post#157 » by MathiasPW » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:06 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Thinking about possible lineups, I am a bit concerned about the lack of defensive minded players on our bench. Not too many smart defenders on the roster and two of them (Rubio and Bridges) will start.

Our starting five will probably be Rubio, Book, Bridges, Saric and Ayton... so our bench unit would be:

PG Tyler Johnson
SG Cam Johnson OR Ty Jerome
SF Kelly Oubre
PF Frank Kaminsky
C Aron Baynes

That is a solid offensive lineup with a lot of shooting (all five players are threats from three) but the only smart and good defender is Baynes. Oubre and Tyler play hard and aggressive on defense, but I think they are neutral players on that end.

Kaminsky is close to a liability on defense and I expect the rookies to be poor defenders at the beginning of the season. They will improve with experience.

Not sure if we are gonna concede minutes to Jevon Carter or Diallo, but both are defensive minded players. I would consider to include at least one of them on the rotation.

We will see... but it would be great to find a full backup unit that fits perfectly together on both ends. That's why we were so good in 2009/10 with Dragic, Barbosa, Dudley, Amundson and Frye coming from the bench.


Kaminsky is absolutely a liability defensively. They should've done better with that money.

Also if Cam Johnson is playing SG we are screwed. No freaking way that dude is guarding 2s. I still don't believe he can guard a bad 3.

Where is this narrative coming from regarding Cam Johnson's defense? He was a good defender in college. His Ortg was 132 and Drtg was 98. That is not shabby. To put it in perpective, Cam and Mikal had the same defensive rating in their final college seasons. Now I do not think Cam will be on Mikal's level, but he is by no means a bad defender.

I think what people are doing is over rating his lack of athleticism and then assuming that means he will be a bad defender. It is wrong thinking.
He had very limited mobility due to his hip for a good part of college and it affected his defense the most.
Image
Fo-Real
Head Coach
Posts: 6,073
And1: 2,543
Joined: Mar 21, 2009
     

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: Just one more month til season opener OMG!! 

Post#158 » by Fo-Real » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:03 pm

Searched nba off season workouts 2019 on youtube, Devin has been getting A LOT of work in, working a lot lately with DeAngelo Russell. Kelly Oubre looks crisp and ultra athletic. Hard to believe but Carmelo Anthony looks like he is back to his former really good old self, dude looks quick again. Melo is handling the ball like a guard, his first step is quick again and scoring at will. He is still a ball hog and isomelo but might get back to being relevant this year, dude looks sharp again like he cares a little again. Kinda nice to see.
In2ition
Senior
Posts: 580
And1: 247
Joined: Jan 24, 2014

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 35 more days til season opener! 

Post#159 » by In2ition » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:13 pm

MathiasPW wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:
Kaminsky is absolutely a liability defensively. They should've done better with that money.

Also if Cam Johnson is playing SG we are screwed. No freaking way that dude is guarding 2s. I still don't believe he can guard a bad 3.

Where is this narrative coming from regarding Cam Johnson's defense? He was a good defender in college. His Ortg was 132 and Drtg was 98. That is not shabby. To put it in perpective, Cam and Mikal had the same defensive rating in their final college seasons. Now I do not think Cam will be on Mikal's level, but he is by no means a bad defender.

I think what people are doing is over rating his lack of athleticism and then assuming that means he will be a bad defender. It is wrong thinking.
He had very limited mobility due to his hip for a good part of college and it affected his defense the most.

I thought word was that it was much better last year and he wasn't affected by it at all. In fact, it's supposed to improve as time goes on. So this year it should be even better than last year.
AtheJ415
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,241
And1: 4,017
Joined: Jul 07, 2014

Re: 2019 Free agency and trade speculation: 35 more days til season opener! 

Post#160 » by AtheJ415 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:42 am

jcsunsfan wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Thinking about possible lineups, I am a bit concerned about the lack of defensive minded players on our bench. Not too many smart defenders on the roster and two of them (Rubio and Bridges) will start.

Our starting five will probably be Rubio, Book, Bridges, Saric and Ayton... so our bench unit would be:

PG Tyler Johnson
SG Cam Johnson OR Ty Jerome
SF Kelly Oubre
PF Frank Kaminsky
C Aron Baynes

That is a solid offensive lineup with a lot of shooting (all five players are threats from three) but the only smart and good defender is Baynes. Oubre and Tyler play hard and aggressive on defense, but I think they are neutral players on that end.

Kaminsky is close to a liability on defense and I expect the rookies to be poor defenders at the beginning of the season. They will improve with experience.

Not sure if we are gonna concede minutes to Jevon Carter or Diallo, but both are defensive minded players. I would consider to include at least one of them on the rotation.

We will see... but it would be great to find a full backup unit that fits perfectly together on both ends. That's why we were so good in 2009/10 with Dragic, Barbosa, Dudley, Amundson and Frye coming from the bench.


Kaminsky is absolutely a liability defensively. They should've done better with that money.

Also if Cam Johnson is playing SG we are screwed. No freaking way that dude is guarding 2s. I still don't believe he can guard a bad 3.

Where is this narrative coming from regarding Cam Johnson's defense? He was a good defender in college. His Ortg was 132 and Drtg was 98. That is not shabby. To put it in perpective, Cam and Mikal had the same defensive rating in their final college seasons. Now I do not think Cam will be on Mikal's level, but he is by no means a bad defender.

I think what people are doing is over rating his lack of athleticism and then assuming that means he will be a bad defender. It is wrong thinking.


He is 6'9" and has never defended 2s. The idea that he is suddenly going to play SG for the 1st time in his career in the NBA is insanity. He defended 3s and 4s in college even if he filled more of a guard role on offense. The idea that he will walk into the NBA capable of guarding NBA 2s is insanity.

Return to Phoenix Suns