ImageImageImage

2019 season speculation including trade ideas

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Will Booker make the all-star team this year?

Yes
49%
No
51%

Total votes: 77

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Re: 2019 season speculation 

Post#1501 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:31 pm

Desertfox wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:We will obviously have trouble defensively, but once again, it will come down to hitting our shots. And that will be a lot easier if we stick to the .5 offense and move the ball with their defenders. I'm not sure if Ball and Favors are out, but that would certainly help. I noticed neither played last game. If that's the case, it's a bit closer to even with their two best bigs out and their PG (though Holiday is their best backcourt player...however Booker is ours). They still have more depth, at least at PG with Jrue (if need be), NAW and Frank Jackson. Just basically a rookie C though...a very raw one at that, so maybe our PFs can exploit that. Actually I guess they have Okafor too....but not sure if he played last game either.

Jaxson Hayes has played pretty well for them, NAW as well. I wouldn't overlook either of their rookies.

Oh, I agree....but a vet like Favors and a defender like Ball is probably tougher. I know NAW can get really hot. Hayes has only played a lot of minutes a few times and has run into foul trouble a few times as well, sometimes quickly.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,799

Post#1502 » by Saberestar » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:35 pm

bwgood77 wrote:We will obviously have trouble defensively, but once again, it will come down to hitting our shots. And that will be a lot easier if we stick to the .5 offense and move the ball with their defenders. I'm not sure if Ball and Favors are out, but that would certainly help. I noticed neither played last game. If that's the case, it's a bit closer to even with their two best bigs out and their PG (though Holiday is their best backcourt player...however Booker is ours). They still have more depth, at least at PG with Jrue (if need be), NAW and Frank Jackson. Just basically a rookie C though...a very raw one at that, so maybe our PFs can exploit that. Actually I guess they have Okafor too....but not sure if he played last game either.

Read on Twitter
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,911

Post#1503 » by grumpysaddle » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:01 pm

I'm gonna watch the game, but it sucks that I'm not even excited to watch after the past two showings.

Also, about time for a new avatar
bwoolf2
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,306

Post#1504 » by bwoolf2 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:46 pm

grumpysaddle wrote:I'm gonna watch the game, but it sucks that I'm not even excited to watch after the past two showings.

Also, about time for a new avatar

They will be fine the last game they would have lost by 40 last year, they are still learning to play together and Monty is still figuring out rotations its going to take time. I think hopefully he learned its really hard to play Kaminsky and Saric together they are so far below NBA standards as far as athleticism one can not make up for the other especially if they are not hitting shots. You need Ayton, Baynes, and even Diallo to play with them to make up that gap and athleticism and thats if they are hitting shots, if they arent they simply can not be on the floor, thats why I am 100% against giving Saric any type of meaningful money. He is a solid role player but I dont see him as a starter unless his shot can get a lot more consistent and nothing tells me it will.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,158

Post#1505 » by Revived » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:55 am

handsome salary wrote:
Dual wrote:This week has been a f*cking nightmare and is getting worse.
We just have to play through it, if we lose the 5 games, it will be understandable.

If they lose the 5 games they are out of playoff seeding and back to the cellar of the conference. Not fun at all.

Booker and Oubre better get their **** together. Neither one has much consistent impact lately on either side and are getting worked by the other teams. You'd like your franchise player and his sidekick to be able to will and work this team to some wins.

Yeah I hope they realize the whole “ValleyBoyz” shtick will get old quick if they ain’t showing up on game days.
bwoolf2
Lead Assistant

Post#1506 » by bwoolf2 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:22 am

I feel bad for Portland that is an awful team, no ball movement and signing Carmelo was a mistake, he is done, at least as a starter, although its clear he still thinks he is a star player...
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#1507 » by Dual » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:33 am

bwoolf2 wrote:I feel bad for Portland that is an awful team, no ball movement and signing Carmelo was a mistake, he is done, at least as a starter, although its clear he still thinks he is a star player...

The number of injuries they had is incredible too.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1508 » by bwgood77 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:02 am

bwoolf2 wrote:I feel bad for Portland that is an awful team, no ball movement and signing Carmelo was a mistake, he is done, at least as a starter, although its clear he still thinks he is a star player...

I can't imagine feeling bad for another team after being a Suns fan the last 7-8 years.
bwoolf2
Lead Assistant

Post#1509 » by bwoolf2 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:12 am

bwgood77 wrote:

I can't imagine feeling bad for another team after being a Suns fan the last 7-8 years.

lol, they had success and expectations, we have had none for the better part of a decade
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#1510 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:19 am

They had to try something. After finishing 3rd in the West last season and getting to the WCF, they obviously don't want to be where they are right now and they don't really have much options. I don't blame them for giving Melo a run. I mean they could just cut him and go back to sucking marginally less
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1511 » by bwgood77 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:52 am

bwoolf2 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

lol, they had success and expectations, we have had none for the better part of a decade

I am fine with other teams going through their bad times as well. So many teams have been good in the west a long time. SA, Utah, Portland, it used to be us and the Lakers, but we had our rough stretch recently, and it was the Mavs until Dirk showed up, but of course right when he is retiring they get another likely star.

GS has been on fire. The Pelicans are looking up. OKC has been really good for awhile and now are stocked with draft picks and one of the best drafting GMs. Houston has 2 MVPs so they are not going away any time soon.

We NEED some teams to fade. It will be hard for us to get into the playoffs, much less get to the 2nd round....we need to add another premier player to do that.

And I didn't even mention the Clips, who will likely be the best team come playoff time. Or, or Denver...who will likely be a top 3 or 4 playoff team.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,637

Post#1512 » by Qwigglez » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:10 am

bwgood77 wrote:
I am fine with other teams going through their bad times as well. So many teams have been good in the west a long time. SA, Utah, Portland, it used to be us and the Lakers, but we had our rough stretch recently, and it was the Mavs until Dirk showed up, but of course right when he is retiring they get another likely star.

We NEED some teams to fade. It will be hard for us to get into the playoffs, much less get to the 2nd round....we need to add another premier player to do that.

Blake Griffin? Kevin Love? Lamarcus Aldridge?

Three players that can help us. Doubtful the Spurs trade LMA to a Western Conference team.

Detroit is playing particularly bad, and they have a ton of gaps to fill. Drummond is a free agent this summer, and I doubt Snell opts of his $12 player option for next year. Derrick Rose was a stop-gap PG that they just signed, and he's signed on for next year.
Griffin's contract though runs until 2022, same year Rubio's contract goes off the books. So we could have a huge amount of money to explore that off-season. I would think we shouldn't have to give up too much value to get Griffin.

I think we really have to get another premier player this season though, because next year Warriors are coming back, and Nurkic is likely healthy and the Blazers might be a solid veteran team too. The West next year will only get tougher and in order for us to match that we simply need better players.

*edit*
was also thinking of Aaron Gordon, but I don't think we make good trade partners for the Magic. Unless we want to give up one of Bridges or Cam Johnson. Though I could see a trade of Oubre, and maybe Kaminsky (to match salary) for Gordon.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1513 » by bwgood77 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:28 am

Qwigglez wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Three players that can help us. Doubtful the Spurs trade LMA to a Western Conference team.

Detroit is playing particularly bad, and they have a ton of gaps to fill. Drummond is a free agent this summer, and I doubt Snell opts of his $12 player option for next year. Derrick Rose was a stop-gap PG that they just signed, and he's signed on for next year.
Griffin's contract though runs until 2022, same year Rubio's contract goes off the books. So we could have a huge amount of money to explore that off-season. I would think we shouldn't have to give up too much value to get Griffin.

I think we really have to get another premier player this season though, because next year Warriors are coming back, and Nurkic is likely healthy and the Blazers might be a solid veteran team too. The West next year will only get tougher and in order for us to match that we simply need better players.

*edit*
was also thinking of Aaron Gordon, but I don't think we make good trade partners for the Magic. Unless we want to give up one of Bridges or Cam Johnson. Though I could see a trade of Oubre, and maybe Kaminsky (to match salary) for Gordon.

I'm not talking an old guy. I'm talking a guy that fits our core group and helps us contend in 3-4 years if all goes perfectly. Those guys maybe (probably) get us into the 1st round, but that's it. I think as is, if healthy, we will be close or maybe make the playoffs this year and get a taste which will give guys more motivation, but we just need to find a gem like the Raptors or Nuggets do.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,131

Post#1514 » by spanishninja » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:48 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

*edit*

I'm not talking an old guy. I'm talking a guy that fits our core group and helps us contend in 3-4 years if all goes perfectly. Those guys maybe (probably) get us into the 1st round, but that's it. I think as is, if healthy, we will be close or maybe make the playoffs this year and get a taste which will give guys more motivation, but we just need to find a gem like the Raptors or Nuggets do.

Aron Baynes is basically the same age as Griffin and we haven't been complaining about him. I actually have to hand it to Blake that he has actually worked on other facets of his game. Last year was clearly his all-around best season and I think he can help us as long as we don't have to lose half the team to get him. I would say though I would try for Love before him simply because Love seems to be a bit healthier nowadays.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,131

Post#1515 » by spanishninja » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:49 am

Qwigglez wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

*edit*

I'd say Love>Griffin>Gordon>Aldridge in order of preference.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1516 » by Qwigglez » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:50 am

bwgood77 wrote:

It's tough to find that though. And pretty much every contending team or playoff team has a mixture of young guys and veterans. Even the Nuggets have Millsap (34), Plumlee (29), Barton (29). I've seen some discussion about Aaron Gordon which is why I brought him up, but I'm not sure he's a high IQ player. I saw a game recently where he had back to back turnovers in the final two minutes or so that caused the Magic to lose. Ideally we draft someone that turns into the next Mitchell, Booker, Siakam, Ibaka, etc. but I just find that harder to do then to just trade for an already established player. I would have liked to think we might have had a shot at Sabonis but he just signed that extension with the Pacers.
Markannen has been struggling so far this year with the Bulls but I doubt he's on the trading block. I could potentially see the Bulls be willing to trade Otto Porter since he has a player option next year for $28 mil that I doubt he declines. I'm not sure if he is really a PF or could play PF though since he's undersized at 6'8. He's only 26 years old. Gallinari is another player that has been mentioned before on this thread, but he's 31 and he's been just as injury-prone as Griffin & Love.

I still think our best bet is to trade for one of these older players and hopefully draft his replacement. I think many playoff teams though, have a lot of holes but just have quality role players that can fill that gap efficiently enough. That's where we struggle, we don't have ultra-elite players as of now, and our role players have been too inconsistent.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1517 » by Qwigglez » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:00 am

Latest poll results...

Baynes vs Saric
Spoiler:
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,158

Post#1518 » by Revived » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:46 am

James Jones has to consider kicking the tires on Joakim Noah. He played ok for Memphis and still might have some left in the tank.

Works out with Booker in the off season too.

Doesn’t hurt to give him a Carmelo type non-guaranteed contract and see what he’s got.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#1519 » by Wilber85 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:48 pm

We suck again! I am still sticking to my 35-38 wins this season. Nothing more , nothing less.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,799

Post#1520 » by Saberestar » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:42 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Phoenix Suns