ImageImageImage

2019 season speculation including trade ideas

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Will Booker make the all-star team this year?

Yes
49%
No
51%

Total votes: 77

Jarlaxle0204
Sixth Man
And1: 2,091

Re: 2019 season speculation 

Post#1781 » by Jarlaxle0204 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 7:38 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Jarlaxle0204 wrote:Gallanari would be the target I'd be looking at if we're looking to upgrade. Wonder what it would take to get him. I don't mind giving up our pick this year (with protections).

Why not just target him in free agency?

We have the space now. If we don't give up anything big, he could definitely help make a push for the playoffs this season. He might then be more inclined to stay next year (I'm sure there will be other suitors) and we could also go over the cap to re-sign our own guys right? Just a thought.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,481

Post#1782 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 8:04 pm

Jarlaxle0204 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Jarlaxle0204 wrote:Gallanari would be the target I'd be looking at if we're looking to upgrade. Wonder what it would take to get him. I don't mind giving up our pick this year (with protections).

We have the space now. If we don't give up anything big, he could definitely help make a push for the playoffs this season. He might then be more inclined to stay next year (I'm sure there will be other suitors) and we could also go over the cap to re-sign our own guys right? Just a thought.

I don't think we'd be looking to sign a 32 year old next year. It seems Monty wanted Saric and likes him.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Re: Trade deadline ideas and possibilities using TJs' expiring 

Post#1783 » by BobbieL » Tue Dec 3, 2019 8:07 pm

Alex Kennedy with Hoops Hype has LM Aldridge possibly on the block and mentions the suns blazers nuggets and kings.

So what would be fair as LMA is signed through 2021 (2 yes/50m)

Tyler
Saric or Frank
Culver

Protected Pick

I just am not willing to include Jerome Cam Bridges or Oubre
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#1784 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Tue Dec 3, 2019 8:11 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Jarlaxle0204 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

I don't think we'd be looking to sign a 32 year old next year. It seems Monty wanted Saric and likes him.

Saric is always on the floor to finish games. I've also noticed Monty talking to him a lot in huddles. I think Monty likes Saric's professionalism, dependability and work ethic. I expect we plan to retain him - as our starter for now, but maybe one day he comes off the bench.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#1785 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Tue Dec 3, 2019 8:41 pm

BobbieL wrote:Alex Kennedy with Hoops Hype has LM Aldridge possibly on the block and mentions the suns blazers nuggets and kings.

Tyler
Saric or Frank
Culver

Protected Pick

I'm not sure what the price would be in terms of assets, but I could see LMA and Ayton potentially working better than one might expect. Between those two and Baynes, we'd have a formidable set of bigs. If the price is essentially just a protected pick, I'd take that chance.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#1786 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 3, 2019 8:47 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
RiRuSuns wrote:Still getting Ibaka for TJ's contract would be a solid move in my book. Frontcourt needs upgrade. Ibaka is a good fit next to Ayton and even Baynes and he's not a pipe dream in terms of getting it done.

I get what you are saying in principle. Ibaka is 30 though, and his game seems to be declining some. He was a good shot blocker and three-point shooter once-upon-a-time.
I don't for one minute believe ibaka is actually 30.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,812

Post#1787 » by RiRuHoops » Tue Dec 3, 2019 8:53 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
RiRuSuns wrote:Still getting Ibaka for TJ's contract would be a solid move in my book. Frontcourt needs upgrade. Ibaka is a good fit next to Ayton and even Baynes and he's not a pipe dream in terms of getting it done.

I get what you are saying in principle. Ibaka is 30 though, and his game seems to be declining some. He was a good shot blocker and three-point shooter once-upon-a-time.

How are the numbers declining? Take a look, especially at per36 and per 100poss

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/ibakase01.html

I don't see it.
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer

Post#1788 » by RiRuHoops » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:01 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Jarlaxle0204 wrote:We have the space now. If we don't give up anything big, he could definitely help make a push for the playoffs this season. He might then be more inclined to stay next year (I'm sure there will be other suitors) and we could also go over the cap to re-sign our own guys right? Just a thought.

Saric is always on the floor to finish games. I've also noticed Monty talking to him a lot in huddles. I think Monty likes Saric's professionalism, dependability and work ethic. I expect we plan to retain him - as our starter for now, but maybe one day he comes off the bench.

Monty knows Saric as he coached him in Philly. So there's some comfort level and trust there. Plus it's not like we have better options right now. But Monty isn't the decision maker. It's more what Jones has in mind. I hope he strives for better.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Post#1789 » by Revived » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:19 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:Yeah, Lauri might be struggling this season, but adding him would be a coup.

All these anti-Saric posts are weirding me out. He's been invaluable to us this season. He misses a lot of bunnies, but he's aggressive on offense and the defense has to respect him. But what's really impressed me is his defense. Moves his feet better than you'd think, plays tough and gets to the right spots. Were we to trade him for, say, Gordon, I think we'd suffer on both ends. I'm inclined to re-sign him if he can be had for a reasonable price.

Saric picks up fouls because he cannot guard any perimeter players for even a short period of time. They constantly attack him off the dribble due to his extremely slow lateral quickness.

Most bigs can’t guard perimeter players for long period of times but they can do it for a short period of time while Saric almost always fouls or gives up the layup in those situations. I give him props for his help defense though for at least making an effort but it doesn’t do a whole lot of good because he cannot jump at all.

He also gets some of the most wide open looks of any player in the league yet he doesn’t knock them down at a good clip. Like someone else mentioned earlier, if you skipped watching the game and only saw the box score then you’d think a Saric had a good game with 16 pts and 10 rebounds on nearly 50% shooting. However watching the game, he’d have driven you nuts.

I’d re-sign him at a $4 or $5M/yr rate but nothing more. There’s a reason he’s on his 3rd team before his rookie contract is up.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,499

Post#1790 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:19 pm

Blonde wrote:It’s pretty clear Tyler Johnson is completely expendable. I still like the guy and he does stuff on both sides of the court that are useful but we don’t need him and he shouldn’t be brought back after this year. To let his contract expire would be negligent.

We’re playing at a level where our lottery protected first is an attractive asset. It’ll probably end up between 11 and 16 or so. Dario has positive value. Bridges and Cam are available for the right return as well.

I looked at the Bulls forum and they are pretty much ready to give up on Markkanen. I doubt their front office would trade him before firing their coach but it’s definitely not off the table. I don’t even like Lauri much but if he can be had without giving up a major asset then we should be interested from purely an upside perspective.

I wish we had taken Isaac in the draft (or Fox). I’ll eat crow on that. He would be the absolute perfect fit with this team right now.

Very well stated man! Have they mentioned what they percieve his trade value to be collectively? Or more to the point what the minimum is in a trade package that they'll accept in return for him?

I know that they ( Chicago )0were really hoping to create enough space to hopefully ( dreaming big!) Sign Anthony Davis. Citing that he's from Chicago apparently, and he'd be there hometown hero. And although I don't see any way (personally) that he'd leave the Flakers to go to the struggling bulls, I'd definitely do a trade to help them clear space, IF it meant obtaining Markkanen from them. :D

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=utxm7yt .

****Also, I'd be fine with throwing in something like two firsts( max!). Maybe say a 2020 first top 10 protected, and then a future protected first. 2022 ( Top 10 protected) or 2023 ( Top 8) protected. I know that it doesn't seem like much, but they'd still be saving over 20 million to chase Davis in free agency whilst also gaining two firsts as additional assets. Hopefully that'd be enough to sway the deal!

Our lineup could look something like:

Rubio/ Dunn/ Okobo.
Booker/ Bridges/ Jerome.
Oubre/ Cam Johnson/ Bridges.
Markkanen/ Diallo/Gafford.
Ayton/ Baynes / Felicio( till he expires or we can move him).

**** We also ( if possible after signing his qualifying offer)? renounce the rights to both Saric and Kaminsky? Then using the available space or exception, try and sign Joe Harris?

Our resulting roster would/could be:

Rubio/ Dunn/ Okobo ( or Carter)?
Booker/ Joe Harris/ Jerome.
Oubre/ Bridges/ Cam Johnson.
Markkanen/ Diallo/ Gafford.
Ayton/ Baynes/ Felicio?
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Post#1791 » by Revived » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:22 pm

Man, Rubio questionable for tomorrow with another injury.

Feels like Baynes and Rubio pick up injuries every other game this season.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,499

Post#1792 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:29 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Blonde wrote:It’s pretty clear Tyler Johnson is completely expendable. I still like the guy and he does stuff on both sides of the court that are useful but we don’t need him and he shouldn’t be brought back after this year. To let his contract expire would be negligent.

We’re playing at a level where our lottery protected first is an attractive asset. It’ll probably end up between 11 and 16 or so. Dario has positive value. Bridges and Cam are available for the right return as well.

I looked at the Bulls forum and they are pretty much ready to give up on Markkanen. I doubt their front office would trade him before firing their coach but it’s definitely not off the table. I don’t even like Lauri much but if he can be had without giving up a major asset then we should be interested from purely an upside perspective.

I wish we had taken Isaac in the draft (or Fox). I’ll eat crow on that. He would be the absolute perfect fit with this team right now.

Could have kept Anderson last year and had that extra cap space and no Tyler and maybe have someone better. I'd love Markkanen but he's not going anywhere. Isaac either. They are both about as likely to. They are mad about Markkanen like Suns are with Booker. Doesn't mean they all want to trade him. Some may mention it, but some mention trading Booker too.

Would you consider trading Booker ( if he doesn't seem to get past his struggles soon) for Lavine/ Markkanen and a lottery protected first?

Not trying to encite anyone's anger, Just curious as to your perspective to his current value. Taking into consideration his both his current issues and improvements of course? :-?
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#1793 » by TASTIC » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:32 pm

Love, still.

James Jones connection, plus Rubio from Minny back in the day. Shores up the rebounding and would be a legit low-post option in the halfcourt
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1794 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:41 pm

BobbieL wrote:Alex Kennedy with Hoops Hype has LM Aldridge possibly on the block and mentions the suns blazers nuggets and kings.

Tyler
Saric or Frank
Culver

Protected Pick

Not sure I'd give up Culver for him, but since we don't have Culver, that shouldn't be a problem.
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,086

Post#1795 » by oddity » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:53 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Could have kept Anderson last year and had that extra cap space and no Tyler and maybe have someone better. I'd love Markkanen but he's not going anywhere. Isaac either. They are both about as likely to. They are mad about Markkanen like Suns are with Booker. Doesn't mean they all want to trade him. Some may mention it, but some mention trading Booker too.

Would you consider trading Booker ( if he doesn't seem to get past his struggles soon) for Lavine/ Markkanen and a lottery protected first?

Not trying to encite anyone's anger, Just curious as to your perspective to his current value. Taking into consideration his both his current issues and improvements of course? :-?

No.
Lavine is as inconsistent as they come, and lauri's struggles are too offputting to value him much higher than Saric atm. I think rerouting Chicago's core into ours would be a mistake as I think their core is just not enough to compete at a contending level with these two
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#1796 » by BobbieL » Tue Dec 3, 2019 9:54 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Tyler
Saric or Frank
Culver

Protected Pick

Not sure I'd give up Culver for him, but since we don't have Culver, that shouldn't be a problem.

My bad Jevon Carter
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer

Post#1797 » by RiRuHoops » Tue Dec 3, 2019 10:08 pm

TASTIC wrote:Love, still.

James Jones connection, plus Rubio from Minny back in the day. Shores up the rebounding and would be a legit low-post option in the halfcourt

The problem I see with KLove is that he needs to be featured on offense to really get value from him on the court and justify his contract. With Booker and Ayton here it's tough to give him enough touches, plus Oubre likes to call his number and gobble up some more possessions. Someone will get snubbed offensively . And very often teams finish very small in crunch time with only one big on the floor. Do we sit one of Love or Ayton on the bench ? If it's Love it's 30 mil per year not well spent.

And I don't think Love is all that great in the low-post currently. I'd prefer Ayton there anyway. Not too mention low-post iso scoring isn't great offense anyway.

I like Love but not the best fit here.
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#1798 » by suns12345 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 10:10 pm

Saric has been solid. About as good as expected.

Let's not judge him when we have no Ayton or Baynes. Him and Kaminsky is a trainwreck, but he wasn't signed to fit next to a C like Frank. His fit and versatility next to Ayton will be good.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1799 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 10:13 pm

RiRuSuns wrote:
TASTIC wrote:Love, still.

The problem I see with KLove is that he needs to be featured on offense be really get value from him on the court and justify his contract. With Booker and Ayton here it's tough to give him enough touches, plus Oubre like to call his number and gobble up some more possessions. Someone will get snubbed offensively . And very often teams finish very small in crunch time with only one big on the floor. Do we it one of Love or Ayton on the bench ? If it's Love it's 30 mil per year not well spent.

And I don't think Love is all that great in the low-post currently. I'd prefer Ayton there anyway. Not too mention low-post iso scoring isn't great offense anyway.

I like Love but not the best fit here.

His contract is too long as well. It would be one thing for this season, or even this and next season. But until 2023 at $30 million a year?
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#1800 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Dec 3, 2019 10:27 pm

:clap:
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame

Return to Phoenix Suns