ImageImageImage

2019 season speculation including trade ideas: two weeks away from the deadline

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Would you be happy with a Carter/Okobo/Top 4 protected first this year for Kennard?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 60

Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,685

2019 season speculation including trade ideas: two weeks away from the deadline 

Post#1 » by Qwigglez » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:41 am

Two weeks away from the deadline, who's going to make the cut for the Suns annual purge?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1919925&start=2360
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Re: 2019 season speculation including trade ideas: two weeks away from the deadline 

Post#2 » by BobbieL » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:40 pm

I think its good Suns fans are frustrated with the loss against the Spurs (because it was a chance to build on things) and the loss last night - as they just stunk it up.

But have to remember a few things - this team won 19 and 21 games the last two years. They ARE improved.

Second, the margin for error for this team was always tight - and the DA suspension combined with injuries are a factor a team with a smaller margin for error

Third, - they are still the youngest team in the league. So, a key for the Suns is to keep hanging around 2-3 games out of the last playoff spot because that means those games in late March and early April will mean something. They will be "quasi-playoff" games so the players can learn and deal with those situations.

As far as a trade - I am good if its Oubre for Markkanen; I am good - if in fact they don't do something stupid like Tyler for Love. I am good with a smaller trade for Valentine.

But its painfully clear that the next player acquired needs to be -- a player that can get their own shot to help Booker out

And lastly, learn to defend the three point shot better and practice practice practice shooting 3's as they need to make a higher percentage. Analytics!!! - take that for data but its damn true!!
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Re: 2019 season speculation including trade ideas: two weeks away from the deadline 

Post#3 » by RunDogGun » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:50 pm

Oubre can get his own shot, why is everyone in such a hurry to get rid of what we keep saying we need?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,472

Post#4 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:54 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28483078/lowe-nba-all-stars-24-players-plus-biggest-debates?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true .

Well.......It seems that Booker finally get in as a reserve. :D

Reserve locks

Nikola Jokic
Rudy Gobert
Damian Lillard

Last four in

Devin Booker
Donovan Mitchell
Brandon Ingram
Chris Paul

Hopefully this will in some small way garner our franchise more positive attention?
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#5 » by BobbieL » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:12 pm

RunDogGun wrote:Oubre can get his own shot, why is everyone in such a hurry to get rid of what we keep saying we need?

Maybe a bit more time for Oubre to mature his game

Sometimes his game is out of control
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#6 » by RunDogGun » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:57 pm

BobbieL wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:Oubre can get his own shot, why is everyone in such a hurry to get rid of what we keep saying we need?

Unless someone is a superstar, their game will look out of control at times. Booker looks out of control sometimes. Oubre is a good player, moves without the ball well, and can get to the line. He has a decent range. His main problem is trying to do too much, and rushing his shot at times. But when the whole team can't shoot the ball, what is one to do? He is a good defender, decent shot blocker for his size, and an average rebounder, with abilities to be a good rebounder if that was a focus for him. If I was his coach, I would ask him to get 10 rebounds a game. Overall, I think we need to keep him in the starting line up.He is an intense player, who plays off emotions. He can get other players pumped up.

Oddly I was watching last night regarding Oubre bringing the ball up (which was a comment from another poster), and I noticed that both Booker and Rubio just take off when/if Oubre rebounded and started up the court, and even when Bridges brought the ball up. It has to be something that Monty has instructed, because instinctively, Rubio would come to the ball, right?
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#7 » by RunDogGun » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:04 pm

We need to move Baynes, because his trade value will be better than other players we have. I really like the idea of Valentine for Baynes. I would really like to get McConnell from Indy, but I just don't see Indy wanting any of our deeper bench players. Man if we only had a player like Warren to trade them.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#8 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:25 pm

You're not wrong and this team has a major lack of guys who can create for themselves or others.

So yes if they theoretically traded oubre for Lauri that weakness gets even worse. Hell the suns would probably be worse this season with that trade simply because oubre has been better than Lauri this year. But you wouldn't be making that deal for this season, it would be made with the belief that you've landed your long-term PF and he'll keep getting better. Then this summer you add more creators.

Personally if they made a Lauri move I'd try Saric and the 2020 pick plus whatever sweetener needed to get it done.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#9 » by Kerrsed » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:28 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
BobbieL wrote:

Unless someone is a superstar, their game will look out of control at times. Booker looks out of control sometimes. Oubre is a good player, moves without the ball well, and can get to the line. He has a decent range. His main problem is trying to do too much, and rushing his shot at times. But when the whole team can't shoot the ball, what is one to do? He is a good defender, decent shot blocker for his size, and an average rebounder, with abilities to be a good rebounder if that was a focus for him. If I was his coach, I would ask him to get 10 rebounds a game. Overall, I think we need to keep him in the starting line up.He is an intense player, who plays off emotions. He can get other players pumped up.

Oddly I was watching last night regarding Oubre bringing the ball up (which was a comment from another poster), and I noticed that both Booker and Rubio just take off when/if Oubre rebounded and started up the court, and even when Bridges brought the ball up. It has to be something that Monty has instructed, because instinctively, Rubio would come to the ball, right?

There was one point last night, i believe it was in the 1st quarter, Monty was up and yelling, "Push it...Push it" to our guys after a missed Pacers possession. I think when Rubio has the ball, he takes his time, tries to create for others in a more set offense. If Booker has it, you know he is getting doubled...or even tripled, and starts to go into ISO mode before launching a shot or passing the ball, but that ISO mode he goes into kills a good 6-10 seconds of the clock. Oubre on the other hand usually pushes the ball and goes straight to the hoop, trying to score in transition. Tries to catch the defense sleeping and not set. Not saying he does this all the time, but in the situation like you mentioned, theres a good 50/50 chance he does.

For as much as people like to hate on Oubre in the gamethreads, he is needed. Out of all our players he is probably the one that tries to score in transition the most. He is also one of the few that will break away from a play if he sees an opening and tries to take it to the rim. People can call him selfish or after his own stats all they want, but it is a relief to have SOMEONE that can do that instead of guys who just camp around the 3 point stripe with no away-from-the-ball movement totally depending on others to get them open and assist them. At least he isnt gun shy like others good or bad. I'd rather see Kelly push it and try to score in the paint than see 3 guys at the 3 point line each pass up a shot because there is a defender within 10 feet of them, so they swing it to the next guy with a closer defender, who swings it to the next guy with an even closer defender, who swings it back to Rubio who is now forced to shoot a 3 with a defender right on top of him. Too many guys afraid to shoot the damn ball. Time after time i get pissed seeing guys have an open look and pass on it, and after 3 more passes and the shot clock running down we are forced to take a badshot from someone thats being well defended.

Bridges does that CONSTANTLY. Damn near any of our bench guys do it everytime they are in the game as a single replacement (Like if we sub Okobo in for Rubio and he is playing with the starters, all of a sudden its like he is a car stuck in limp-mode). Its crazy to me that Bridges is averaging 60%FG and 38%3PT, yet passes up shots. This month he is averaging just under 6 shots in 30MPG. Last month he was averaging just under 6 shots in 25MPG. The month before? 5 shots in 20MPG. And i shouldnt even say shots, because usually he has 2-3 of those attempts at the rim for a lay-up or dunk.

Is getting frustrating out there folks, and for as frustrated as we are as fans, think of the guy thats out there scoring 30PPG a night and still racking up losses because of a s**t team not helping you. Anyone else notice Booker last night, Buzzer rings, end of game, Booker was the first one gone and pretty much halfway down the tunnel. JJ needs to get this man some help.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#10 » by BobbieL » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:38 pm

RunDogGun wrote:We need to move Baynes, because his trade value will be better than other players we have. I really like the idea of Valentine for Baynes. I would really like to get McConnell from Indy, but I just don't see Indy wanting any of our deeper bench players. Man if we only had a player like Warren to trade them.

I understand the value Baynes brings but unless you are going to bring him back - than it’s wise to look at trade value for him that could be a longer term fit
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#11 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:39 pm

If you could take oubres and Bridges brains/aggression level and combine them both players would be perennial all stars :)

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwoolf2
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,306

Post#12 » by bwoolf2 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:41 pm

Kerrsed wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
BobbieL wrote: Maybe a bit more time for Oubre to mature his game

There was one point last night, i believe it was in the 1st quarter, Monty was up and yelling, "Push it...Push it" to our guys after a missed Pacers possession. I think when Rubio has the ball, he takes his time, tries to create for others in a more set offense. If Booker has it, you know he is getting doubled...or even tripled, and starts to go into ISO mode before launching a shot or passing the ball, but that ISO mode he goes into kills a good 6-10 seconds of the clock. Oubre on the other hand usually pushes the ball and goes straight to the hoop, trying to score in transition. Tries to catch the defense sleeping and not set. Not saying he does this all the time, but in the situation like you mentioned, theres a good 50/50 chance he does.

For as much as people like to hate on Oubre in the gamethreads, he is needed. Out of all our players he is probably the one that tries to score in transition the most. He is also one of the few that will break away from a play if he sees an opening and tries to take it to the rim. People can call him selfish or after his own stats all they want, but it is a relief to have SOMEONE that can do that instead of guys who just camp around the 3 point stripe with no away-from-the-ball movement totally depending on others to get them open and assist them. At least he isnt gun shy like others good or bad. I'd rather see Kelly push it and try to score in the paint than see 3 guys at the 3 point line each pass up a shot because there is a defender within 10 feet of them, so they swing it to the next guy with a closer defender, who swings it to the next guy with an even closer defender, who swings it back to Rubio who is now forced to shoot a 3 with a defender right on top of him. Too many guys afraid to shoot the damn ball. Time after time i get pissed seeing guys have an open look and pass on it, and after 3 more passes and the shot clock running down we are forced to take a badshot from someone thats being well defended.

Bridges does that CONSTANTLY. Damn near any of our bench guys do it everytime they are in the game as a single replacement (Like if we sub Okobo in for Rubio and he is playing with the starters, all of a sudden its like he is a car stuck in limp-mode). Its crazy to me that Bridges is averaging 60%FG and 38%3PT, yet passes up shots. This month he is averaging just under 6 shots in 30MPG. Last month he was averaging just under 6 shots in 25MPG. The month before? 5 shots in 20MPG. And i shouldnt even say shots, because usually he has 2-3 of those attempts at the rim for a lay-up or dunk.

Is getting frustrating out there folks, and for as frustrated as we are as fans, think of the guy thats out there scoring 30PPG a night and still racking up losses because of a s**t team not helping you. Anyone else notice Booker last night, Buzzer rings, end of game, Booker was the first one gone and pretty much halfway down the tunnel. JJ needs to get this man some help.

I agree we have very little talent off the bench particularly in the backcourt, I do think Booker needs to do a much better job of getting everyone involved, especially early on, it keeps everyone engaged on both ends, we were doing that early in the year and playing well, seems like we have reverted back to Suns basketball from the past 4 years. No ball movement, chucking up bad shots, no D, and no fast breaks, makes it really hard to watch.
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#13 » by BobbieL » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:41 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
You're not wrong and this team has a major lack of guys who can create for themselves or others.

So yes if they theoretically traded oubre for Lauri that weakness gets even worse. Hell the suns would probably be worse this season with that trade simply because oubre has been better than Lauri this year. But you wouldn't be making that deal for this season, it would be made with the belief that you've landed your long-term PF and he'll keep getting better. Then this summer you add more creators.

Personally if they made a Lauri move I'd try Saric and the 2020 pick plus whatever sweetener needed to get it done.

If they make a trade now, I hope it’s not for this year but the next few years

I do wonder if Lauri is truly onthe block?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,448

Post#14 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:46 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Yeah. Im reading these trades and I'd think they'd want KO or Bridges included in any trade for Lauri. That makes sense as they'd want another guy w/ some potential to match up w/ Lavine.

So maybe Cam, KO, and a pick for Lauri and Felicio. I'd even give them Saric as well if they insisted since he'd be redundant w/ Lauri here.

That's a lot to give up and I still don't think they'd do it. But not sure how much Felicio makes and how long they have to pay him. I think they view him as a cornerstone though, regardless of how much some fans are down on him, which, frankly is a little weird because his stats haven't really dropped off....at least not that much. TS% better, defense better, just a little down on boards, but they also added Wendell Carter who was out a lot of last year so not sure if that's particularly relevant.

It's kinda amazing I'm really hoping that their FO agrees. A lot of the the complaints I seem to be reading is that he's too passive, coaching staff has ruined him and that they might be better cutting their losses and selling b4 his value drops. Same stuff ppl said about our young guys. I don't wanna trade Oubre as he seems to get along w/ Book and Ayton but if we can fill that 4 spot w/a rangy 7 footer then... :nod:

Their deal would be what the FO thinks is the problem if they even think there is a problem with Lauri. The guy launches up 3s at a great rate, so he's certainly not passive. He has never been a great defender but has improved a lot this year. He finishes at the rim at over 65% and really mostly goes to the rim or shoots 3s at a good clip and %. This year, 294 3s, 150 at the rim, and 111 at all other ranges (3-10, 10-16, 16-3)... https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/markkla01/shooting/2020

I really don't know why they are so down on the him, because his stats have dropped off a tad, but not that much, https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/markkla01.html but probably because of the team success, and the same reason some get down on Booker for no team success. But they have had Porter out all year, are dealing with mostly backup level PGs, though decent ones along with a rookie.

The thing with Oubre is, they'd only have him the rest of this year (and then next year, and then have to probably pay him a lot to keep him...and they could lose him anyway). Then they just have whatever else they get, which is not much, and perhaps a late lotto pick. With Lauri they control him for over 5 years....maybe over 6. We would maybe have to offer him a max or near max to keep him too...offer one or match one....we could simply just offer him one in the summer of 21.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#15 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:47 pm

BobbieL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

If they were smart they'd fire everyone in the FO and coaching staff before making any major moves like trading Lauri.

The only reason I'd see for making a Lauri trade is if they deep down think he's never more than an ok starter and are afraid of having to overpay him in 18 months. If they feel that way then sure it's best to cash him in while they can.

BobbieL
RealGM

Post#16 » by BobbieL » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:09 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:You're not wrong and this team has a major lack of guys who can create for themselves or others.

If they were smart they'd fire everyone in the FO and coaching staff before making any major moves like trading Lauri.

The only reason I'd see for making a Lauri trade is if they deep down think he's never more than an ok starter and are afraid of having to overpay him in 18 months. If they feel that way then sure it's best to cash him in while they can.

Well time to take advantage of a suspect Front Office and maybe "buy low" on Lauri Markkanen

Felicio expires in 2021
Thad Young has an out after 2021
Sato has an out after 2021

So if the Bulls want to free up cap space for the guy that is never going there - the Suns might be able to add Tyler to the deal -- but if they want to clear cap space. Who knows what a dumb front office will do? We know all too well
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#17 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:29 pm

BobbieL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
BobbieL wrote:

Well time to take advantage of a suspect Front Office and maybe "buy low" on Lauri Markkanen

Felicio expires in 2021
Thad Young has an out after 2021
Sato has an out after 2021

So if the Bulls want to free up cap space for the guy that is never going there - the Suns might be able to add Tyler to the deal -- but if they want to clear cap space. Who knows what a dumb front office will do? We know all too well
I always get a kick out of teams clearing salaries of guys they just signed in FA for the purpose of giving out equally bad contracts the next FA season. It's really a fun bad team cycle

Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#18 » by Kerrsed » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:32 pm

BobbieL wrote:If they make a trade now, I hope it’s not for this year but the next few years

He probably isnt really "On the Block", but like all bad teams no one is safe.....for the right price. I think Markkanen's price is going to be more than what we would want to pay for him. While i could see them loving Cam as he does exactly what their FO is trying to get Markkanen to do (Be a spot up 3 point shooter), i think they would demand Bridges is any trade. Thats too much for me.

Bulls fans are livid. They've been begging for a new FO for years to no avail. They dont trust the FO or coach. They (Along with local media) pin Lauri's regression on the new system and the role they have asked Markkanen to take. The fans are down on just about everybody except Lavine (Ive even seen some suggest trading Carter for not living up to his draft hype). They also dont look at Otto as a negative, so people suggesting that we can get so-and-so for cheap if we rid them of Porter and take him off their hands....yeah, thats not the way they look at him in Chicago.

Moral of the story, Markkanen isnt being actively shopped, but can be had if we pay a high price, just like anyone, but the fans dont trust the FO to make a Markkanen trade that would actually make them better (Sound familiar?)
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#19 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:36 pm

As far as making Lauri a spot up 3pt shooter.... Isn't that exactly what the suns would want him to be?

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#20 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:37 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Phoenix Suns