ImageImageImage

Game 46: Phoenix Suns (19-26) @ Memphis Grizzlies (21-24)

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwoolf2
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,306

Re: Game 46: Phoenix Suns (19-26) @ Memphis Grizzlies (21-24) 

Post#381 » by bwoolf2 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:13 am

Revived wrote:
bwoolf2 wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:He has his good games. But his biggest problem is he isn't clutch at all. And with a bad coach like Monty, and Rubio being the coach on the court, it's not a wonder why we've lost almost all of our close games.

Stop with this bad coach crap this team has already won as many games as last year, has dealt with suspension, a ton of key injuries, and a below average roster. You can criticise decisions but to call him a bad coach is just plain stupid.

Is being better than last year the standard for success?

Reminds me of how people said McDonough was amazing because he was better than Lance Blanks.

What were your expectations for this year a deep run into the playoffs? We were blown out of almost every game by halftime last year, so this year is a monumental improvement over last year. Do I want to make the playoffs, absolutely, did I think they could turn it around in one year, not a chance.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,448

Post#382 » by Revived » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:14 am

Read on Twitter
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 5,893

Post#383 » by TeamTragic » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:21 am

bwoolf2 wrote:
Revived wrote:
bwoolf2 wrote:
Stop with this bad coach crap this team has already won as many games as last year, has dealt with suspension, a ton of key injuries, and a below average roster. You can criticise decisions but to call him a bad coach is just plain stupid.

Is being better than last year the standard for success?

Reminds me of how people said McDonough was amazing because he was better than Lance Blanks.

What were your expectations for this year a deep run into the playoffs? We were blown out of almost every game by halftime last year, so this year is a monumental improvement over last year. Do I want to make the playoffs, absolutely, did I think they could turn it around in one year, not a chance.

If we are being fair the season didn't start until AFTER the suspension.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,484

Post#384 » by SunsRback4Good » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:27 am

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dame was one shot away from 24 but finished with 50/13/6. Same with Siakam 35/8/3.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,933

Post#385 » by grumpysaddle » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:04 am

Two awful calls not going Oubre's way may have decided the game tonight. The one where he was fouled, but they called it out-of-bounds, then reversed the call after replay. The reason it went out was because he was hacked on the arms. Then that offensive foul on the 3. How in the hell was that an offensive foul? He went up for the shot and Anderson slid under him. Any other team and that's 3 shots.

So **** over the officiating bias. The Suns shot more free throws, but they probably should have had about 15 more. Memphis, like every other team, is allowed a different level of physicality than the Suns are. It affects how the Suns are able to play defense when they can't be aggressive without an immediate foul. If I was Monty, I'd have them play every game, starting now, just being the most physical team in the league. Who cares if you foul out. Eventually, the refs will stop calling them for ticky tack bull****. /rant
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,933

Post#386 » by grumpysaddle » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:17 am

Sal85012 wrote:Rubio has been absolute trash for about a month now. Saric struggles big time against athletic teams and we have no bench. Need more roster moves.

Ty Jerome showed he can play some backup minutes. Also, Kelly really doesn’t pass I noticed for the first time tonight but he had an ok game

You just noticed tonight that Oubre doesn't pass? I mean... did you just go to the eye doctor and get the correct prescription? Once it goes to Oubre, you should know the only way to get it back is an offensive rebound.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#387 » by Kerrsed » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:31 am

I have to LOL at this board sometimes.

Oubre had a great game. Besides Booker he is the only guy that can create for himself. Thats something major that we are lacking, but people will bash the s**t out of him for doing so. 27 points, 9 rebounds and a handful of assists. Yet some jackasses are saying they would take Dillon Brooks over him? LMAO, Brooks does the same s**t as Oubre night in and night out, but provides less in all the other stat categories and is a worse defender. But his name isnt Oubre, so people are blind.

Seriously, the Oubre hate around here is just unreal. 3 minutes into the game and people are calling for his head. Dude actually competes and puts up stats, yet piss-ants like Rubio/Dario dont even get 1/5th of the hate for providing NOTHING to the team. Bridges being a scared lil-bitch and refusing to shoot the damn ball when he is wide open somehow gets a pass from everyone.

And JESUS WTF is up with people still still complaining about Ayton 24/7? Seriously, his defense was great tonight. Sure, Memphis was scoring in the paint almost at will, but do people realize how many screens and switches they were using to pull Ayton away from the paint and then score on guys like Saric/Bridges? happened so damn much. Ayton just cant win with some of you guys. He leaves his man to cover a charging opponent that Rubio/Booker/Bridges/WHOEVER let blow by them to get to the hoop, and NO ONE then covers his man, who gets an easy lay-up/shot at the basket. So Ayton then sticks with his man and people get all pissy because he lets the guard who is charging the paint from someone elses blown defensive cover score. Damned if he does and damed if he doesnt. The kids defense was pretty damn solid. They credited him with 2 blocks, but i could have sworn it was 3. Hell, he even had 3 steals, which is damn good for a 7 footer. 17 Points despite people not being able to get him the ball and no plays made for him, 15 rebounds including 7 offensive boards, a couple of assists, steals and blocks, y'all really hating him just to hate him at this point. If its because your pissed about the Doncic draft, fine, watch Mav's games, post on their board for christs sake.

We are only 2 games out of the 8th play-off spot. We have surpassed our win total from last season and still have half the season to go. Isnt this about what we were expecting? Or did too many of you guys take the handful of games at the start of the season too seriously and believe that that was us now and we were somehow suddenly this all and mighty powerful juggernaut of a team? I think some of you set your expectations too high after a handful of good games, while some of us are right about where we thought we would be, if not doing better than expected (While missing our stud young C for 25 games and having half the bench missing for weeks at a time with no real clear indication what the timetable for returns are).

So many hot takes around here. Too damn many. A couple missed shots 2 minutes in the game and the hate for players just starts flowing. Its getting unbearable and seriously making me want to say F it and and leave the board. Support you damn team and players you lil pouty snowflakes. People so fragile, quick to cry about everything, quick to judge and say what should have been done or needs to be done, yet havent played or coached a day of organized basketball in their lives at any level let alone in the big time.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,494

Post#388 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:20 am

Slim Charless wrote:We really need to swing a trade for some more veteran players to help close out these tight games

Strongly agree. Not sure on whether or not you can still get bird rights in a trade this far in the season, But we desperately need actual quality veteran depth, players that can and are willing to play tough, tenacious defense ( ala Jevon Carter) and more than anything else, clutch shooting. Even at the point of reasonably overpaying IF it's actually a player that can potentially change the dynamic of our bench.

Having said that, I do still think it's peculiar that Both Baynes AND Cam (*** as well as Tyler Johnson) :wink: are all out. Personally I think that they're intentionally being held out whilst the team is exploring possible trades. And when yhey find one that they really prefer, They'll make the deal. :dontknow: Now again, their total salaries combined, equate to around 28 million, Or a minimum of 24 million in expirings. Could a fringe playoff team that possibly needs/ wants cap space for 2020 ( Johnson's expiring), have some pieces and a veteran scorer that might soon become an expiring in 2020.................
And also have interest in adding a solid backup center in Baynes.

A few teams that might be a consideration for such a package are:

Sacramento-
Looking to move on from Dedmon. And they have Bogdanovic that is going to be an unrestricted free agent in 2020 anyways. Could they look at possibly doing a deal with us for Johnson's expiring/ Baynes/ and Cam. We'd be taking back Dedmons' contract( only 1 million guaranteed in 2021), Bogdanovic ( To be resigned with bird rights)? And perhaps Harry Giles?( total salary coming back would equal = around 25 million.

Chicago-
Maybe we get back Young ( * only 7 million guaranteed in 2021), Felicio ( 8 million) have to unfortunately eat his contract for Markannen, and Valentine. *** We'd add two lottery protected firsts for Markannen being the returning centerpiece of the trade.

Washington-
Maybe we get back Mahinmi ( 15 million), Bertrans ( 7 million), Ish Smith ( 5 million), and Jordan Mcrae ( 1.6 million). Phoenix also sends out a heavily protected future ( 2023 )? First.

Detroit- We get back Reggie Jackson, Luke Kennard, Markieff Morris, and a 2nd?

Orlando-
Maybe we get back Evan Fournier, DJ Augustine, Bamba and a 2nd?

Clippers-
Maybe we get back Harkless ( 11.5 million), Zubac ( 6.4 million), Harrell ( 6 million), Jamychal Green ( 4.7 million), And a 2nd?

But all in all, There are deals that fit our needs in different ways, If our front office is creative and assertive. We'll know in two weeks for sure.
Maze
Bench Warmer
And1: 962

Post#389 » by Maze » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:35 am

bwoolf2 wrote:
handsome salary wrote:
Blonde wrote:Realistically, we will never reach the playoffs in the western conference through organic growth. You’ve got all the playoff mainstays, then Golden State will be back next year, the Pelicans have Zion/Ingram/Jrue and a good GM, Memphis has young talent at every position, Minny still has KAT. How do we break in? We missed our chance at a franchise changing superstar and those come around once every decade or less. It’s impossible to be optimistic about our future.

Name me one other Western conference fanbase that would trade their FO/coaching/players for the Suns lot. That's how bad this organization is still (after getting the #1 pick in what is looking like a historic draft and dropping in another).

Jones sits on his hands after whiffing on draft picks and signings/trades while the team is teasingly withing an ever distancing shot of the playoffs. Rubio is as good or better than maybe half the starting point guards but that's been the only improvement from the past two years. . Depth sucks in every position, coaching is mediocre, power forwards are among the league worst and rookies/number one pick are eclipsed by others in their draft class. The only mantra is 'lets not be the absolute worst like the previous 4 years'.

This has to be the whiniest board in the league, did you think they were going to turn around a decade of ineptitude in a single year... SMDH

But that's why it's the whiniest board in the league.....
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,696

Post#390 » by Qwigglez » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:10 am

Kerrsed wrote:I have to LOL at this board sometimes.

Oubre had a great game. Besides Booker he is the only guy that can create for himself. Thats something major that we are lacking, but people will bash the s**t out of him for doing so. 27 points, 9 rebounds and a handful of assists. Yet some jackasses are saying they would take Dillon Brooks over him? LMAO, Brooks does the same s**t as Oubre night in and night out, but provides less in all the other stat categories and is a worse defender. But his name isnt Oubre, so people are blind.

Seriously, the Oubre hate around here is just unreal. 3 minutes into the game and people are calling for his head. Dude actually competes and puts up stats, yet piss-ants like Rubio/Dario dont even get 1/5th of the hate for providing NOTHING to the team. Bridges being a scared lil-bitch and refusing to shoot the damn ball when he is wide open somehow gets a pass from everyone.

Thank you. I thought I was taking some crazy pills. People love to **** on Oubre but let's take a look at the advanced stats of him and Dillon Brooks, who apparently if he was on the Suns would make us instant competitors.

Brooks advanced stats
Oubre advanced stats

And here are the averages for the year
Brooks
Oubre

Just wait this off-season guys when Brooks gets a similar contract to Oubre of $15 mil a year.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#391 » by Dual » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:04 am

People blaming players in a night like this with all the hate I'm seeing makes you quit this board seriously.
You should be ashamed of yourselves.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#392 » by cberry78 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:18 am

Qwigglez wrote:
Kerrsed wrote:I have to LOL at this board sometimes.

Thank you. I thought I was taking some crazy pills. People love to **** on Oubre but let's take a look at the advanced stats of him and Dillon Brooks, who apparently if he was on the Suns would make us instant competitors.

Brooks advanced stats
Oubre advanced stats

And here are the averages for the year
Brooks
Oubre

Just wait this off-season guys when Brooks gets a similar contract to Oubre of $15 mil a year.

Here ya go: http://bkref.com/tiny/Xro3v

Brooks has been a better shooter this year, across the board actually, but in every other statistical category (per 100 and Advanced), KO is the better addition to his team.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#393 » by BobbieL » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:09 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:We really need to swing a trade for some more veteran players to help close out these tight games

Strongly agree. Not sure on whether or not you can still get bird rights in a trade this far in the season, But we desperately need actual quality veteran depth, players that can and are willing to play tough, tenacious defense ( ala Jevon Carter) and more than anything else, clutch shooting. Even at the point of reasonably overpaying IF it's actually a player that can potentially change the dynamic of our bench.

Having said that, I do still think it's peculiar that Both Baynes AND Cam (*** as well as Tyler Johnson) :wink: are all out. Personally I think that they're intentionally being held out whilst the team is exploring possible trades. And when yhey find one that they really prefer, They'll make the deal. :dontknow: Now again, their total salaries combined, equate to around 28 million, Or a minimum of 24 million in expirings. Could a fringe playoff team that possibly needs/ wants cap space for 2020 ( Johnson's expiring), have some pieces and a veteran scorer that might soon become an expiring in 2020.................

Sacramento-
Looking to move on from Dedmon. And they have Bogdanovic that is going to be an unrestricted free agent in 2020 anyways. Could they look at possibly doing a deal with us for Johnson's expiring/ Baynes/ and Cam. We'd be taking back Dedmons' contract( only 1 million guaranteed in 2021), Bogdanovic ( To be resigned with bird rights)? And perhaps Harry Giles?( total salary coming back would equal = around 25 million.

Chicago-
Maybe we get back Young ( * only 7 million guaranteed in 2021), Felicio ( 8 million) have to unfortunately eat his contract for Markannen, and Valentine. *** We'd add two lottery protected firsts for Markannen being the returning centerpiece of the trade.

Washington-
Maybe we get back Mahinmi ( 15 million), Bertrans ( 7 million), Ish Smith ( 5 million), and Jordan Mcrae ( 1.6 million). Phoenix also sends out a heavily protected future ( 2023 )? First.

Orlando-

Clippers-
Maybe we get back Harkless ( 11.5 million), Zubac ( 6.4 million), Harrell ( 6 million), Jamychal Green ( 4.7 million), And a 2nd?

But all in all, There are deals that fit our needs in different ways, If our front office is creative and assertive. We'll know in two weeks for sure.

good plans - I just don;'t know the deal. I just know they need a guard and rotational forward.

I like Kelly but some nights, I don't like Kelly :)
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,494

Post#394 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:47 pm

BobbieL wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Sacramento-

Chicago-

Washington-

Orlando-

Clippers-

good plans - I just don;'t know the deal. I just know they need a guard and rotational forward.

I like Kelly but some nights, I don't like Kelly :)

Thanks man! :wink: And I agree, There's really no telling what the front office may choose to do. They may decide to make a move right at the deadline, In order to give this team a boost or jolt and make a run for the playoffs. Or they may decide to stand pat, Let Johnson expire and Baynes and Saric as well. Then renounce their rights and look to add a minor piece or two to the bench in free agency this summer.

Personally, I think that they really need to make a move now and not let that apathetic losing mentality creep in and take hold, Once they soon realize that they are eliminated from the playoffs. And ultimately, improved or not ( to a small degree) that they are really just a losing team still. I don't think they'll look to trade Oubre, as for better or worse, He's been the heart of this team. And more importantly, He was an acquisition by James Jones himself. So trading him would reflect poorly on him I believe. I do however think that they intend to use Johnson's expiring along with at least Baynes and another piece in Cam (due to his deveoping injury concerns) as they'll try to get maximum value from him before the rest of the league realizes the injury risks he will possibly carry in the future.

Also, I do think that they're heavily weighing moving Baynes in a good deal, As I believe that they realize that he's almost certainly going to sign with a contender anyways so he can return to the playoffs and compete, Rather than resign with us and maybe have a very small chance of even making the playoffs again. So Yes, I do believe that they're holding these players out in order to avoid further injury whilst gauging their value in exploratory trade discussions. And if they find the right deal, They'll take it. If not, they'll just say that they evaluated them ( :wink: meaning no palatable deal was found) and they'll state some random timetable for their return ( conveniently after the trade deadline). In doing this, It'll also give them an idea as to the kind of value to expect some teams to attach to Baynes, Saric, etc. And thusly plan their future cap space roster moves more accordingly.

But overall, We desperately need:
1- A veteran backup guard with poise and playmaking/ scoring ability.

2- A starting Caliber power forward (**IF at all possible), That can defend and occasionally spread the floor.

3- defensive stoppers for our perimeter and pick and roll defense.
And until we address those issues properly, We won't realistically be a playoff team. Now there are quite a few players that could be reasonably acquired to address those very issues. But the determining factor to our much needed improvement, Will be whether or not Jones, Bowers, etc. Will be aggressive/ proactive in actually improving our roster and experience, Or will they just sit on their hands, whilst other teams continue to pass us by? :dontknow:
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#395 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:27 pm

I thought Ayton was enormously disappointing this game. Bad hands, soft play, no offense. The thing that really gets me is the lack of intensity and physicality. He should have had a field day being guarded by JJJ. Instead, it was JJJ who had the field day.

Aside from Booker continuing to play extraordinary basketball, the biggest positives were Carter and Jerome. I think Carter showed that he's worthy of an end of the bench spot - third string. A change-of-pace player who can be inserted to bother particular players in certain situations.

But the most glistening silver lining was clearly Ty Jerome, who finally got some minutes at the PG spot. He looked for his shot a bit more, which he needs to do. He also did a much better job defensively, I thought, not having to defend opposing forwards. He has a ton to learn about passing the ball out once he draws the defenders when he penetrates, but he's really good finding players when the floor is spread, creating energy on offense. Finally a glimpse of what we were hoping to see from him this season.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#396 » by RunDogGun » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:29 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:I thought Ayton was enormously disappointing this game. Bad hands, soft play, no offense. The thing that really gets me is the lack of intensity and physicality. He should have had a field day being guarded by JJJ. Instead, it was JJJ who had the field day.

Aside from Booker continuing to play extraordinary basketball, the biggest positives were Carter and Jerome. I think Carter showed that he's worthy of an end of the bench spot - third string. A change-of-pace player who can be inserted to bother particular certain players in certain situations.

But the most glistening silver lining was clearly Ty Jerome, who finally got some minutes at the PG spot. He looked for his shot a bit more, which he needs to do. He also did a much better job defensively, I thought, not having to defend opposing forwards. He has a ton to learn about passing the ball out once he draws the defenders when he penetrates, but he's really good finding players when the floor is spread, creating energy on offense. Finally a glimpse of what we were hoping to see from him this season.

Ayton seems a bit tired out there. I was a bit shocked he didn't come back in incredible shape, and with a three point shot. He had a third of the season off.
Jesus_H_Macy
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Post#397 » by Jesus_H_Macy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:30 pm

bwoolf2 wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:
Puff wrote:I see everyone is blaming, Oubre, or Saric, or Ayton or James Jones.

All of those guys deserve blame. However my biggest concern is Ricky Rubio. His heart and head just seem to be somewhere else for a while now.

Early in the year he rarely turned it over and was making shots while appearing to care. Recently he has been my biggest disappointment because I expect him to be the leader of this team and he just isn't.

He has his good games. But his biggest problem is he isn't clutch at all. And with a bad coach like Monty, and Rubio being the coach on the court, it's not a wonder why we've lost almost all of our close games.

What did you think about Kokoskov? If Monty was the coach last year do you think the record would have been better or worse? If Kokoskov was the coach this year do you think the record would be better or worse? Monty has the respect of the players which is a big part of being a successful coach, so I'll give him that. This team simply does not play hard too often for me to consider him a good coach though. And his rotation decisions are bizarre. How do we take out Carter, who was the only dude that could guard Morant and was the primary reason IMO we made that comeback, to put Rubio back in who was trash all night on O and couldn't guard Morant all night? I get he's our starter, but I knew once he came back in Morant would start lighting us up again and sure as shiz that's what happened.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#398 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:35 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:I thought Ayton was enormously disappointing this game. Bad hands, soft play, no offense. The thing that really gets me is the lack of intensity and physicality. He should have had a field day being guarded by JJJ. Instead, it was JJJ who had the field day.

Aside from Booker continuing to play extraordinary basketball, the biggest positives were Carter and Jerome. I think Carter showed that he's worthy of an end of the bench spot - third string. A change-of-pace player who can be inserted to bother particular certain players in certain situations.

Ayton seems a bit tired out there. I was a bit shocked he didn't come back in incredible shape, and with a three point shot. He had a third of the season off.

He starts the game lethargic. If we're looking for a mentor to Ayton, maybe we should be looking at a guy like Faried. A big that plays with energy.

Ayton's like Rodman, in a sense. He plays the game with the same energy level at the start of the game as he plays at the end. The difference is that Rodman's energy level was 100%, whereas Ayton's seems to be somewhere around 50%.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#399 » by RunDogGun » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:44 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:

He starts the game lethargic. If we're looking for a mentor to Ayton, maybe we should be looking at a guy like Faried. A big that plays with energy.

Ayton's like Rodman, in a sense. He plays the game with the same energy level at the start of the game as he plays at the end. The difference is that Rodman's energy level was 100%, whereas Ayton's seems to be somewhere around 50%.

Kind of funny, but most of the end of last year I kept asking for Rubio and Faried.While Rubio has struggled with his shot, and his cost was more than I wanted, he has been a solid player. I would love to see us pick up Faried.

Ayton seems to find energy every once in a while. But since we have been running basically a two big system (playing only two bigs all game), I don't it matters whether it be the start or the end, he just looks tired.
Jesus_H_Macy
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Post#400 » by Jesus_H_Macy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:22 pm

I was also very disappointed in his O, although as another poster mentioned I wonder if we force-fed him more often if it would get him into the game more and increase his energy level. Too many turnaround J's, even if he normally hits them at a good clip. Dude needs to get to the hoop! Thought that dunk he had might have been a catalyst for him but he didn't build anything off of it.

However, thought he played great on D for the most part. It's been said a million times but the frustrating thing about Ayton isn't that he sucks, because he doesn't even remotely suck, it's how inexplicable it is that he isn't dominating every game. Hopefully just a matter of maturity and experience since those things will (theoretically) improve over time.

Return to Phoenix Suns