ImageImageImage

Game 47: Phoenix Suns (19-27) @ Dallas Mavericks (29-17)

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,483

Re: Game 47: Phoenix Suns (19-27) @ Dallas Mavericks (29-17) 

Post#381 » by ATTL » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:41 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,823

Post#382 » by Saberestar » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:03 am

Read on Twitter
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#383 » by RunDogGun » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:15 pm

TheLogician wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
TheLogician wrote:
He's been great all around. He's attacking, hitting shots, rebounding, passing, and of course bringing defense.

It's not Bridges starting, its starting our best players, the guys we go to when we need the right balance of offense and defense. Their hustle sets the tone for winning a game, and the rest of the team feeds off that. Starting Bridges and Oubre together was the best move Monty has made all season.

I think it is Bridges because Oubre has been starting all season. We know what we're getting from him. Bridges has stepped it up and everyone is benefiting.

You completely missed the point of my post. It is who he is surrounded by not just merely starting Bridges. Starting Rubio, Booker, Bridges, Oubre, and Ayton TOGETHER was the best move Monty has made. It is the group, not just one individual. We don't have to lean on that lineup to get us back in the game, when we start out with it. Moreover, starting the third quarter with that group gave us a 48 quarter.
Jesus_H_Macy
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Post#384 » by Jesus_H_Macy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:25 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
TheLogician wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:It's not Bridges starting, its starting our best players, the guys we go to when we need the right balance of offense and defense. Their hustle sets the tone for winning a game, and the rest of the team feeds off that. Starting Bridges and Oubre together was the best move Monty has made all season.

I think it is Bridges because Oubre has been starting all season. We know what we're getting from him. Bridges has stepped it up and everyone is benefiting.

You completely missed the point of my post. It is who he is surrounded by not just merely starting Bridges. Starting Rubio, Booker, Bridges, Oubre, and Ayton TOGETHER was the best move Monty has made. It is the group, not just one individual. We don't have to lean on that lineup to get us back in the game, when we start out with it. Moreover, starting the third quarter with that group gave us a 48 quarter.

I agree that that's our best lineup and that group plays well together, but I think you're discounting the positive impact Bridges has. I admit that his lack of oomph on O has made me wonder sometimes if he doesn't belong in the starting lineup, although that was at the beginning of the season. Now he's being more aggressive and his 3 ball is falling, and I think we all agree his D is next-level compared to the other dudes on this team.

Take a look at the top points lineups for the Suns - https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/2020/lineups/. No surprise that Booker is in all the 5 thru 2 man lineups, but (no surprise to me) look who is also in all the lineups. I know that stat isn't perfect but I think it says something about how much better we are with Bridges on the floor.

Only a three game sample of both Booker and Bridges in the starting lineup, but all three are W's and can be argued are among our best games of the season - https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/2020_start.html. I personally don't think it's just a coincidence. Two of those games are with Saric starting instead of Oubre... I think I still like Oubre starting over Saric (only doubt in my mind is that it would be nice to have Oubre's scoring ability off the bench) but IMO the secret sauce isn't as much that Rubio-Booker-Bridges-Oubre-Ayton lineup (even though I agree it's our best), it's Bridges starting.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#385 » by RunDogGun » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:47 pm

Jesus_H_Macy wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
TheLogician wrote:

I agree that that's our best lineup and that group plays well together, but I think you're discounting the positive impact Bridges has. I admit that his lack of oomph on O has made me wonder sometimes if he doesn't belong in the starting lineup, although that was at the beginning of the season. Now he's being more aggressive and his 3 ball is falling, and I think we all agree his D is next-level compared to the other dudes on this team.

Take a look at the top points lineups for the Suns - https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/2020/lineups/. No surprise that Booker is in all the 5 thru 2 man lineups, but (no surprise to me) look who is also in all the lineups. I know that stat isn't perfect but I think it says something about how much better we are with Bridges on the floor.

Only a three game sample of both Booker and Bridges in the starting lineup, but all three are W's and can be argued are among our best games of the season - https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/2020_start.html. I personally don't think it's just a coincidence. Two of those games are with Saric starting instead of Oubre... I think I still like Oubre starting over Saric (only doubt in my mind is that it would be nice to have Oubre's scoring ability off the bench) but IMO the secret sauce isn't as much that Rubio-Booker-Bridges-Oubre-Ayton lineup (even though I agree it's our best), it's Bridges starting.

I have been saying for weeks that Bridges should be starting, and that he is our best defender. I have no idea why you would think I am discounting him in any way. That lineup isn't about one individual, its about the group as a whole. From what I have seen, that group is relied on to bring us back into games, finish quarters and games. While I agree that subs into that lineup still works, but those subs have been Okobo for Rubio and Saric for Ayton. The underlining grouping is still a combination of Bridges AND Oubre together.

Our best lineup is and always has been the group that started the Dallas game. They should start every game if they are healthy. I am just glad that Monty finally started his best lineup.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,482

Post#386 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:18 pm

Depends on the opposing lineup. With a very big lineup like some we've faced, we may need more size. I don't know that many are arguing against starting that lineup, particularly if we have Cam, Baynes and Frank back, but that IF we needed to start a traditional PF, that they'd prefer Bridges as the glue guy, then another scorer that often takes more shots than Ayton and passes the ball to him less (thus the earlier vote that 81-85% of the forum would prefer Bridges start than Oubre if it was a choice between the two). Both Bridges and Saric really try to feed Ayton.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#387 » by RunDogGun » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:29 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Depends on the opposing lineup. With a very big lineup like some we've faced, we may need more size. I don't know that many are arguing against starting that lineup, particularly if we have Cam, Baynes and Frank back, but that IF we needed to start a traditional PF, that they'd prefer Bridges as the glue guy, then another scorer that often takes more shots than Ayton and passes the ball to him less (thus the earlier vote that 81-85% of the forum would prefer Bridges start than Oubre if it was a choice between the two). Both Bridges and Saric really try to feed Ayton.

They will have guard us as well. We aren't giving up size that much, it would really only be the weight. Our best lineup does a good job switching. Polling isn't something I care about.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,044

Post#388 » by sunsbg » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:35 pm

Didn't Monty already use such starting lineup in preseason with Mikal at PF ? It didn't look good back then, but has worked well during the season in 4th quarters, so may as well start the game with it against most teams.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#389 » by RunDogGun » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:51 pm

sunsbg wrote:Didn't Monty already use such starting lineup in preseason with Mikal at PF ? It didn't look good back then, but has worked well during the season in 4th quarters, so may as well start the game with it against most teams.

We play that lineup all the time. And with our bigs injured, and the fact that we rarely play Diallo, it makes even more sense to start that group, since we end up using that group to finish the games and second quarters.

Interesting side note: Bridges has a 7'1" wingspan, Oubre has a 7'3" wingspan, and Dario has a 6'10" wingspan. So while Dario is taller and heavier, we really don't lose much size and gain speed starting Bridges and Oubre at our forward positions. Being faster injects energy into our group. The rest of the team feeds off that energy, and we can see this when that group is playing during the game. Starting them, gives us that energy at the beginning of the game. Overall, the team starts playing better team basketball, making any one of them a threat on offense, and with the ability to recover faster, better on defense as well. Monty should keep using it until it shows to not work.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#390 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:27 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Depends on the opposing lineup. With a very big lineup like some we've faced, we may need more size. I don't know that many are arguing against starting that lineup, particularly if we have Cam, Baynes and Frank back, but that IF we needed to start a traditional PF, that they'd prefer Bridges as the glue guy, then another scorer that often takes more shots than Ayton and passes the ball to him less (thus the earlier vote that 81-85% of the forum would prefer Bridges start than Oubre if it was a choice between the two). Both Bridges and Saric really try to feed Ayton.

They will have guard us as well. We aren't giving up size that much, it would really only be the weight. Our best lineup does a good job switching. Polling isn't something I care about.

Yeah, I think it's just the polls reflect the people who watch every game intently and see the on court dynamics of lineups, etc. When Oubre decides to do his own thing, it often freezes out the team, some become less engaged and don't play as well, and he turns it over. Like I think 2 games ago he was 8-19 from the field with 5 turnovers and the team worst +/- of -13 in a 5 point loss. Some thought he played well because he scored quite a few points, but obviously the on court impact, probably due in large part to so many turnovers, hurt the team.

We played awful against Indy and he was a team worst from the field going 5-16, and despite shooting poorly took more shots than Booker or Ayton (12 each) and they both were more efficient. He played more within the team, moving the ball more in the last game, and if he continues that all the time, great, as the whole team plays well, but if he reverts to the "doing his own thing" tendencies, even just at times, and it impacts others on the floor, it might make more sense to let him be the spark off the bench since we don't have that right now, and most every team does have that spark off the bench (Lou Williams, Schroeder, Eric Gordon, etc).

It would have been interesting to see that small ball lineup starting against Indy with Sabonis and Turner in the middle, plus they have bigs off the bench like Goga. Sabonis is so good offensively he would have been tough to guard for those guys (but really is for anyone).
Jesus_H_Macy
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Post#391 » by Jesus_H_Macy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:53 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
Jesus_H_Macy wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:

I have been saying for weeks that Bridges should be starting, and that he is our best defender. I have no idea why you would think I am discounting him in any way. That lineup isn't about one individual, its about the group as a whole. From what I have seen, that group is relied on to bring us back into games, finish quarters and games. While I agree that subs into that lineup still works, but those subs have been Okobo for Rubio and Saric for Ayton. The underlining grouping is still a combination of Bridges AND Oubre together.

Our best lineup is and always has been the group that started the Dallas game. They should start every game if they are healthy. I am just glad that Monty finally started his best lineup.

We mostly agree. Haven't been reading the board lately so I didn't realize you've been on the Bridges train too, my bad.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#392 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:09 pm

Jesus_H_Macy wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
Jesus_H_Macy wrote:

We mostly agree. Haven't been reading the board lately so I didn't realize you've been on the Bridges train too, my bad.

That lineup still has a pretty limited sample size with Ayton out all but 17 games, Oubre out a couple, Rubio out some, etc, and we also played very well in the two games without Oubre at all, so yeah, Bridges as the glue guy with Ayton and Booker and has great chemistry with Ayton and Rubio.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#393 » by RunDogGun » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:27 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:

Yeah, I think it's just the polls reflect the people who watch every game intently and see the on court dynamics of lineups, etc. When Oubre decides to do his own thing, it often freezes out the team, some become less engaged and don't play as well, and he turns it over. Like I think 2 games ago he was 8-19 from the field with 5 turnovers and the team worst +/- of -13 in a 5 point loss. Some thought he played well because he scored quite a few points, but obviously the on court impact, probably due in large part to so many turnovers, hurt the team.

We played awful against Indy and he was a team worst from the field going 5-16, and despite shooting poorly took more shots than Booker or Ayton (12 each) and they both were more efficient. He played more within the team, moving the ball more in the last game, and if he continues that all the time, great, as the whole team plays well, but if he reverts to the "doing his own thing" tendencies, even just at times, and it impacts others on the floor, it might make more sense to let him be the spark off the bench since we don't have that right now, and most every team does have that spark off the bench (Lou Williams, Schroeder, Eric Gordon, etc).

It would have been interesting to see that small ball lineup starting against Indy with Sabonis and Turner in the middle, plus they have bigs off the bench like Goga. Sabonis is so good offensively he would have been tough to guard for those guys (but really is for anyone).

Ah, the old "we are the real fans, so your opinion about the team is not as good as ours." :roll:

Look, if you don't think the line up is our best line up, then so be it, but there is no need for comments about "intently watching", and crap like that. I understand your bias against Oubre, you already stated you think he is our sixth best player behind a healthy Baynes. I am glad the coach thinks otherwise. Our coach plays the line up of Rubio, Booker, Bridges, Oubre, and Ayton to close out games, and often throughout the game. Are going to claim that he might not be "watching intently"?

It is our best group, and we should start games with that group. I really don't care if people like Bridges more than Oubre, because my lineup encompasses both of them. Oubre plays better when he is surrounded by those players. You may disagree, which is fine.

I didn't want this to be another opportunity to bag on Oubre. The real discussion should be is Saric a better starter than either Bridges or Oubre. If not, then we are on the same page. Maybe we should ask which five players are our best? Then ask should we start games with our best players. Maybe then all the real intentive fans can give their opinions.

As for the Indy game, with screens it is so easy for teams to switch, so its better to have guys who can switch faster and really don't lose that much size. Saric is too slow. This lineup also can get out on the perimeter shooters, which has plagued us this year.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#394 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:01 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:They will have guard us as well. We aren't giving up size that much, it would really only be the weight. Our best lineup does a good job switching. Polling isn't something I care about.

Ah, the old "we are the real fans, so your opinion about the team is not as good as ours." :roll:

Look, if you don't think the line up is our best line up, then so be it, but there is no need for comments about "intently watching", and crap like that. I understand your bias against Oubre, you already stated you think he is our sixth best player behind a healthy Baynes. I am glad the coach thinks otherwise. Our coach plays the line up of Rubio, Booker, Bridges, Oubre, and Ayton to close out games, and often throughout the game. Are going to claim that he might not be "watching intently"?

It is our best group, and we should start games with that group. I really don't care if people like Bridges more than Oubre, because my lineup encompasses both of them. Oubre plays better when he is surrounded by those players. You may disagree, which is fine.

I didn't want this to be another opportunity to bag on Oubre. The real discussion should be is Saric a better starter than either Bridges or Oubre. If not, then we are on the same page. Maybe we should ask which five players are our best? Then ask should we start games with our best players. Maybe then all the real intentive fans can give their opinions.

As for the Indy game, with screens it is so easy for teams to switch, so its better to have guys who can switch faster and really don't lose that much size. Saric is too slow. This lineup also can get out on the perimeter shooters, which has plagued us this year.

I stated before that I am fine with that lineup, and think it often times can be our best, but it might be dictated on matchups, and if it is a choice between Bridges and Oubre, it's better to go with Bridges, not only to benefit the starting lineup but also the bench. As I'mNotMcDISwear pointed out, you want your best defender to start. If Monty decides he needs a bigger bodied PF in there against a bigger lineup, I'd go with Bridges at SF. Obviously Monty never has gone that way, so apparently he prefers Oubre, even though it seems evident that if it is one or the other, Bridges is the better choice. That's all.
IzzyT
Junior
And1: 427

Post#395 » by IzzyT » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:04 pm

I’ve been to every home game this season. Oubre is the team’s best energizer. He makes game changing plays that ignite the crowd multiple times... every. single. game. Not sure that comes through well on TV, but he’s momentum incarnate. Sometimes for the other team, too, admittedly, lol.

Some of our only net positive lineups that have Booker off the floor feature Kelly and Mikal, actually. Those two work really well together.

I do agree that certain matchups lend themselves to Dario, but part of me thinks it might be smart to bait teams into trying to post up 1on1 versus Kelly. Post play is inherently inefficient according to analytics. Outside of like the Lakers and the Pacers (not afraid of Myles Turner in the post), who are we really worried about feasting vs. Kelly on the block? Giving up offensive rebounds would be my real worry.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#396 » by RunDogGun » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:01 pm

IzzyT wrote:I’ve been to every home game this season. Oubre is the team’s best energizer. He makes game changing plays that ignite the crowd multiple times... every. single. game. Not sure that comes through well on TV, but he’s momentum incarnate. Sometimes for the other team, too, admittedly, lol.

Some of our only net positive lineups that have Booker off the floor feature Kelly and Mikal, actually. Those two work really well together.

I do agree that certain matchups lend themselves to Dario, but part of me thinks it might be smart to bait teams into trying to post up 1on1 versus Kelly. Post play is inherently inefficient according to analytics. Outside of like the Lakers and the Pacers (not afraid of Myles Turner in the post), who are we really worried about feasting vs. Kelly on the block? Giving up offensive rebounds would be my real worry.

It comes through on tv as well. It is pretty obvious that he plays with heart. I have to say he is probably our best two way player. He is our second best scorer, and one of our better defenders. I think if he worked on his post defense and got set defensively early, he would be a tough matchup for many bigger PFs. But being realistic, the game really comes down to who can switch fast and can defend that switch whether it be on the perimeter or in the paint. With a combination of Bridges and Oubre, those switches are faster, and both are capable of guarding any position. With Saric, that just isn't the case.

Its pretty obvious that it is our best lineup, with our best mix of offense and defense. They energize each other, they energize the rest of the team, and they energize the crowd, and Oubre is definitely a part of that.

Coach clearly has seen this, which is why he ends games with that group. Finally he realized its wise to start with that group, end second quarters with that group, start third quarters with it, and end games with it. Hopefully he sticks with it for a while.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#397 » by RunDogGun » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:11 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I stated before that I am fine with that lineup, and think it often times can be our best, but it might be dictated on matchups, and if it is a choice between Bridges and Oubre, it's better to go with Bridges, not only to benefit the starting lineup but also the bench. As I'mNotMcDISwear pointed out, you want your best defender to start. If Monty decides he needs a bigger bodied PF in there against a bigger lineup, I'd go with Bridges at SF. Obviously Monty never has gone that way, so apparently he prefers Oubre, even though it seems evident that if it is one or the other, Bridges is the better choice. That's all.

But that has never been my argument to choose Bridges over Oubre or Oubre over Bridges. My argument is Bridges over Saric. There isn't an argument for me to take Oubre out of the starting lineup, for he plays with the most heart, is our second best scorer, tied for first at steals, second best rebounder and shot blocker. He should start. Bridges is our best defender, who can also score, also tied for first in steals. He should start. The odd man out is Saric, who is not a bad player, but hasn't established himself as a starter, and is slower. Yes he gives three inches and twenty pounds, but at a cost of being worse at all the rest of the categories.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#398 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:57 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:Ah, the old "we are the real fans, so your opinion about the team is not as good as ours." :roll:

But that has never been my argument to choose Bridges over Oubre or Oubre over Bridges. My argument is Bridges over Saric. There isn't an argument for me to take Oubre out of the starting lineup, for he plays with the most heart, is our second best scorer, tied for first at steals, second best rebounder and shot blocker. He should start. Bridges is our best defender, who can also score, also tied for first in steals. He should start. The odd man out is Saric, who is not a bad player, but hasn't established himself as a starter, and is slower. Yes he gives three inches and twenty pounds, but at a cost of being worse at all the rest of the categories.

My argument is that the argument should be Oubre or Saric. Bridges should be starting period.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#399 » by RunDogGun » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:22 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

My argument is that the argument should be Oubre or Saric. Bridges should be starting period.

Well then that should be a no brainer because Oubre is a better all around player. Yes Bridges should be starting, my comment said "over" Saric, not "or".
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#400 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:14 pm

Not sure how it was missed, since I've stated numerous times, but Oubre and Mikal starting together is nice. I just mentioned if coach wanted to start a bigger guy like Saric for more size and/or also more ball movement and passing, then he should bring Oubre off the bench because of the energy he would bring there. And it could be quickly if we got off to a slow start. We have certainly done well even without Oubre at all a couple games. With Oubre and Bridges and that lineup and them together, we are not guaranteed to start well either just because we had one great game with that.

That's what jcsunsfan and others are arguing to it seems. So we don't need to hear the same post again and again in response since that isn't even usually what is being argued at this point.

It has been argued before that Oubre obviously would drastically help our bench, which often lets huge leads evaporate, so it could potentially be an important way to go. I think other better coaches might even utilize it that way since Oubre is more of a "me" player.

Return to Phoenix Suns