ImageImageImage

Mikal Bridges

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,466

Mikal Bridges 

Post#1 » by SunsRback4Good » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:36 am

I really love Mikal Bridge's game he seems to do all the little things on the court. I am thinking to myself how far is he from becoming a mini Draymond Green. He already is a steller defender who could guard many positions. All he needs is more playing time around 30-32 min per game so his numbers can flourish similar to Draymonds. If Bridges gets his proper minutes, let's say over 30+ I can see him averaging 12/7/5 on a nightly basis. Draymond career is at 9/7/5 so realistically speaking its more than doable. Plus Bridges is a much better shooter. So am I crazy for having these type of a comparison or am I onto something?
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Re: Mikal Bridges 

Post#2 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:38 pm

I recently caved to those who argue we should start Kelly and Mikal rather than Dario, but the more important thing is that we start Mikal.

I was always a much more gifted defender than I was at shooting the basketball. The best way to use me was to guard the other team's best player. I'd frustrate his ball handling, contest every shot, and prevent him from getting the ball if he was rolling. That's how I contributed on a basketball court.

Mikal is a truly gifted defender, and we need to start recognizing that talent by putting him in a position to maximize his contributions to the team. That means, simply, that he must start. Because the opposing team's best guard or wing will start, and that's the guy Mikal needs to guard. That's how you get the most from him.

Put me on a guy who couldn't score, and unless he's stupid enough to try to drive on me, you wouldn't notice me out there. That's kind of what it's like watching Mikal play with the second unit. You got to feed a defensive superstar the way you feed an offensive superstar. Give him something to attack.

Respect Mikal and rotate him in and out with the other team's best offensive guard/wing. It's obviously time. When he starts, we win. When he doesn't, we struggle. Start him. Every night. Beginning now.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#3 » by RunDogGun » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:25 pm

Bridges should have been starting from the beginning. He is our best defender, and has a solid Bball IQ. His shot isn't bad, and he can move well without the ball. The only problem is Oubre is also a solid two way player, and he provides more offense, with an ability to create his own shot. Oubre also plays with a ton of heart. Then there is the fact that drafted another sf who has good three point shot. We put ourselves in an awkward position of having solid wings and lacking at the PF position. While I like Saric, he just hasn't established himself as a starter, and hasn't broken out in any area to cement that position. He was more of a default position player.

With Bridges starting we are 3-3. I think it really comes down to who he is starting with, and for now, he plays well with Oubre as the other forward.

The tough situation will come when we are healthy and have all our bigs or make a trade.

Overall, Bridges was a good draft pick and I hope we don't trade him for another player, who may score more points.
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#4 » by suns12345 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:45 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:I recently caved to those who argue we should start Kelly and Oubre rather than Dario, but the more important thing is that we start Mikal.

I was always a much more gifted defender than I was at shooting the basketball. The best way to use me was to guard the other team's best player. I'd frustrate his ball handling, contest every shot, and prevent him from getting the ball if he was rolling. That's how I contributed on a basketball court.

Mikal is a truly gifted defender, and we need to start recognizing that talent by putting him in a position to maximize his contributions to the team. That means, simply, that he must start. Because the opposing team's best guard or wing will start, and that's the guy Mikal needs to guard. That's how you get the most from him.

Put me on a guy who couldn't score, and unless he's stupid enough to try to drive on me, you wouldn't notice me out there. That's kind of what it's like watching Mikal play with the second unit. You got to feed a defensive superstar the way you feed an offensive superstar. Give him something to attack.

Respect Mikal and rotate him in and out with the other team's best offensive guard/wing. It's obviously time. When he starts, we win. When he doesn't, we struggle. Start him. Every night. Beginning now.

That is such an interesting way of putting it. I'm a huge fan of Bridges for this team and all of the above makes a lot of sense to me.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,154

Post#5 » by spanishninja » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:44 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:I recently caved to those who argue we should start Kelly and Oubre rather than Dario, but the more important thing is that we start Mikal.

I mean if you start Kelly you would have to start Oubre :)
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,483

Post#6 » by ATTL » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:55 am

He plays better as a starter. Fewer games with 0/0 stat lines. 11/5/3 vs 7/3/1. He doesn't have the assertive offensive game to get good looks with the bench group.

Return to Phoenix Suns