ImageImageImage

2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread)

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22, Kerrsed

Would you prefer a regular season from Christmas to late June and playoffs late June to late August?

Yes, move season back
23
68%
No, leave as is
11
32%
 
Total votes: 34

User avatar
Ghost of Kleine
Veteran
Posts: 2,651
And1: 784
Joined: Apr 13, 2012

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2361 » by Ghost of Kleine » Yesterday 12:27 am

King4Day wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter


The main thing I remember about him was that teams felt he wasn't an NBA caliber player.
I guess we wanted someone with a little experience. This way we can just see what he has for 8 games and cut him if there's no sign of him being a guy who would help next season. If he's good, it's likely the vet min so not like we're paying him much.


Damn your fast man! You just beat me to the punch on this one! :lol:

Anyways, Thoughts on Cameron Payne?
Image
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,474
And1: 1,657
Joined: Jan 22, 2012
       

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2362 » by Sunsdeuce » Yesterday 12:41 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
King4Day wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter


The main thing I remember about him was that teams felt he wasn't an NBA caliber player.
I guess we wanted someone with a little experience. This way we can just see what he has for 8 games and cut him if there's no sign of him being a guy who would help next season. If he's good, it's likely the vet min so not like we're paying him much.


Damn your fast man! You just beat me to the punch on this one! :lol:

Anyways, Thoughts on Cameron Payne?


Been awhile since I posted but I had to come out for this joke. If you want any idea how dumb of a signing this is, read the replies to Shams tweet.

I’d sign everyone that has a suns real GM account before I’d sign Payne.

James Jones strikes again.

Anyway, I just want this nightmare of a season to be done with. The only reason they are playing these 10 games is (obviously) for the money because it ain’t for the fans that for sure. Should just canceled the season, focus on the draft and prep for next year.
“Cash Considerations” or Bust!

Only a fan of Arizona teams!
CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
User avatar
Ghost of Kleine
Veteran
Posts: 2,651
And1: 784
Joined: Apr 13, 2012

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2363 » by Ghost of Kleine » Yesterday 1:21 am

Sunsdeuce wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
King4Day wrote:
The main thing I remember about him was that teams felt he wasn't an NBA caliber player.
I guess we wanted someone with a little experience. This way we can just see what he has for 8 games and cut him if there's no sign of him being a guy who would help next season. If he's good, it's likely the vet min so not like we're paying him much.


Damn your fast man! You just beat me to the punch on this one! :lol:

Anyways, Thoughts on Cameron Payne?


Been awhile since I posted but I had to come out for this joke. If you want any idea how dumb of a signing this is, read the replies to Shams tweet.

I’d sign everyone that has a suns real GM account before I’d sign Payne.

James Jones strikes again.

Anyway, I just want this nightmare of a season to be done with. The only reason they are playing these 10 games is (obviously) for the money because it ain’t for the fans that for sure. Should just canceled the season, focus on the draft and prep for next year.



Sorry, I'm not really all that familiar with Payne as of yet man. I take it he's a pretty poor player then? Just curious, What makes him so terrible? :dontknow:
Image
User avatar
Ghost of Kleine
Veteran
Posts: 2,651
And1: 784
Joined: Apr 13, 2012

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2364 » by Ghost of Kleine » Yesterday 1:25 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
King4Day wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter


The main thing I remember about him was that teams felt he wasn't an NBA caliber player.
I guess we wanted someone with a little experience. This way we can just see what he has for 8 games and cut him if there's no sign of him being a guy who would help next season. If he's good, it's likely the vet min so not like we're paying him much.


Damn your fast man! You just beat me to the punch on this one! :lol:

Anyways, Thoughts on Cameron Payne?


Would him signing a two year deal have any impact or influence on the suns considering a point guard in the draft? Or any affect on Jalen Lecque either? :dontknow:
Image
Revived
RealGM
Posts: 26,064
And1: 11,823
Joined: Feb 17, 2011

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2365 » by Revived » Yesterday 1:48 am

Payne absolutely sucks. There’s not anyone in the world besides his immediate family and apparently James Jones that believes he should be in the NBA.

This could be a signing to help Ty Jerome gain confidence because I’m sure he’ll kick Payne’s ass in practice.
ImNotMcDiSwear
Head Coach
Posts: 6,838
And1: 4,502
Joined: Dec 14, 2013
 

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2366 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Yesterday 2:58 am

I don't know man. His G League numbers look pretty sexy - and very different from years' past. And really it's just the FG% and 3FG% I'm looking at because that's all that matters: can he make shots?

Oh but yeah um Rubio Carter Jerome Okobo Payne my homies, homies, listen. That's five dudes. That's 1/3 of your roster. That are point guards. That's two many point guards, Suns, too many.

And Ty you better learn to play the 2 because if you can't dissuade this FO from signing Cam Payne, my guess is no one thinks you're good enough to earn PT backing up Rubio next season.

EDIT: Oh and BTW that Shams tweet contains a typo. Cam averaged 23.2 PPG in the G League this season, not 13.2, fwiw. Get it together, Shams!
User avatar
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 15,695
And1: 8,356
Joined: Jul 10, 2009
Contact:
     

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2367 » by Qwigglez » Yesterday 4:52 am

Probably not bringing Jevon Carter back next season. From what I've read, someone in his circle has mentioned that certain players on the Suns only care about getting their stats and remaining the star of the team and doesn't care about winning (Booker).
darmani
Pro Prospect
Posts: 875
And1: 983
Joined: Dec 20, 2018
 

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2368 » by darmani » Yesterday 5:19 am

A week or two ago Kevin O'Connor and Chris Vernon talked about Payne on their podcast and one of them (Vernon IIRC) mentioned that some people around the league were impressed with Payne's play in the G-League and they thought that some team should take a look at him in Orlando.
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
User avatar
PharmD
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,629
And1: 4,381
Joined: Aug 21, 2015
 

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2369 » by PharmD » Yesterday 5:44 am

I saw Payne play in person preseason his rookie year. He absolutely dominated Tyus Jones and i remember thinking that Payne would be good and Tyus was a bust. Turns out Tyus has been a pretty good rotation level guard and Payne has been out of the league.
User avatar
PharmD
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,629
And1: 4,381
Joined: Aug 21, 2015
 

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2370 » by PharmD » Yesterday 5:47 am

Qwigglez wrote:Probably not bringing Jevon Carter back next season. From what I've read, someone in his circle has mentioned that certain players on the Suns only care about getting their stats and remaining the star of the team and doesn't care about winning (Booker).

I've been rewatching the season on league pass and Carter is the most enthusiastic bench cheerleader there is. I'd be very surprised if he's an attitude problem.
LV-Suns
Starter
Posts: 2,391
And1: 596
Joined: Aug 11, 2009
Location: Las Vegas
     

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2371 » by LV-Suns » Yesterday 5:57 am

PharmD wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:Probably not bringing Jevon Carter back next season. From what I've read, someone in his circle has mentioned that certain players on the Suns only care about getting their stats and remaining the star of the team and doesn't care about winning (Booker).

I've been rewatching the season on league pass and Carter is the most enthusiastic bench cheerleader there is. I'd be very surprised if he's an attitude problem.

It’s his mom on Facebook.
I Dont wanna be here
Blonde
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,543
And1: 2,054
Joined: Jun 16, 2014
Location: Phoenix
       

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2372 » by Blonde » Yesterday 6:18 am

2-year deal probably means the remainder of this season and fully unguaranteed next year aka not a move worth taking note of. Or at least I hope so...
Saberestar
RealGM
Posts: 12,214
And1: 7,802
Joined: May 21, 2010

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2373 » by Saberestar » Yesterday 7:26 am

LV-Suns wrote:
PharmD wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:Probably not bringing Jevon Carter back next season. From what I've read, someone in his circle has mentioned that certain players on the Suns only care about getting their stats and remaining the star of the team and doesn't care about winning (Booker).

I've been rewatching the season on league pass and Carter is the most enthusiastic bench cheerleader there is. I'd be very surprised if he's an attitude problem.

It’s his mom on Facebook.

Well, that would not be an strong reason to not bringing him back next season. I hope it's only an anecdote.

Hooefully Carter stays with the team because we don't have too many defensive minded players on the roster. And he is gonna be cheap and entering his prime... our mini-PJ Tucker.
User avatar
Ghost of Kleine
Veteran
Posts: 2,651
And1: 784
Joined: Apr 13, 2012

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2374 » by Ghost of Kleine » Yesterday 2:14 pm

Saberestar wrote:
LV-Suns wrote:
PharmD wrote:I've been rewatching the season on league pass and Carter is the most enthusiastic bench cheerleader there is. I'd be very surprised if he's an attitude problem.

It’s his mom on Facebook.

Well, that would not been an strong reason to not bringing him back next season. I hope it's only an anecdote.

Hooefully Carter stays with the team because we don't have too many defensive minded players on the roster. And he is gonna be cheap and entering his prime... our mini-PJ Tucker.


Definitely agree on Carter! We surely need his aggressive tenacity and energy as well on defense. He's one of the point guards that I really want us to keep for the reasons that you mentioned. I'd rather lose Okobo and/or Jerome before him honestly. And I'm actually a fan of Jerome honestly. :wink:
Image
ImNotMcDiSwear
Head Coach
Posts: 6,838
And1: 4,502
Joined: Dec 14, 2013
 

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2375 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Yesterday 2:34 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
LV-Suns wrote:It’s his mom on Facebook.

Well, that would not been an strong reason to not bringing him back next season. I hope it's only an anecdote.

Hooefully Carter stays with the team because we don't have too many defensive minded players on the roster. And he is gonna be cheap and entering his prime... our mini-PJ Tucker.


Definitely agree on Carter! We surely need his aggressive tenacity and energy as well on defense. He's one of the point guards that I really want us to keep for the reasons that you mentioned. I'd rather lose Okobo and/or Jerome before him honestly. And I'm actually a fan of Jerome honestly. :wink:


My guess is Payne sticks next year and Jerome occupies the third string. Carter's gotta be gone, because he's a solid third stringer in this league who will get an offer elsewhere. Besides, you know you can't say nothing bad about Booker 'round here and survive.
Revived
RealGM
Posts: 26,064
And1: 11,823
Joined: Feb 17, 2011

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2376 » by Revived » Yesterday 3:13 pm

Keeping Payne over Carter would be idiotic. Carter is way better than both Payne and Jerome because he’s at least good on one end of the court.

The other poster who said Payne isn’t all that much better than many realgm posters isn’t all that far off. We’re about to find this out the hard way.

And please don’t flaunt his G league stats lol, Archie Goodwin was highly touted in the GLeague and summer leagues and he’s now in Germany playing basketball in an arena that holds less people than many high school gyms do.

Sad part is that I was a believer in Goodwin but then reality hit :(
User avatar
Mjee
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,756
And1: 1,566
Joined: Sep 16, 2009

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2377 » by Mjee » Yesterday 3:16 pm

My buddy, who's one of the biggest Bulls fans on the planet, says Payne is literally a waste of space ....

Is next year a team option??

I don't get it
ImNotMcDiSwear
Head Coach
Posts: 6,838
And1: 4,502
Joined: Dec 14, 2013
 

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2378 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Yesterday 4:05 pm

Revived wrote:Keeping Payne over Carter would be idiotic. Carter is way better than both Payne and Jerome because he’s at least good on one end of the court.

The other poster who said Payne isn’t all that much better than many realgm posters isn’t all that far off. We’re about to find this out the hard way.

And please don’t flaunt his G league stats lol, Archie Goodwin was highly touted in the GLeague and summer leagues and he’s now in Germany playing basketball in an arena that holds less people than many high school gyms do.

Sad part is that I was a believer in Goodwin but then reality hit :(


So it sounds like this an emotional take for you. Understandable. Fanning is hard.

Sounds like you may have looked up Archie's SL and G-League stats, as I notice you say he was "highly touted." But you see, stats. Stats are numbers that represent the things that happen in games. Archie couldn't shoot, maybe Payne can. There is reason to think so: perhaps!
SideSwipe
Analyst
Posts: 3,651
And1: 637
Joined: Aug 20, 2007

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2379 » by SideSwipe » Yesterday 4:09 pm

I liked Payne early in his career, but he couldn't put it together on the court for some reason. He was so skinny too, maybe he's added some pounds now. I like that he is rangier and taller that will help put pressure on opposing guards. As mentioned above none of this matters if he can't shoot, but it looks like some of that has been fixed as well. Here's to hoping that JJ knows what he is doing.
Wilber85
Starter
Posts: 2,266
And1: 2,058
Joined: Oct 10, 2017
         

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2380 » by Wilber85 » Yesterday 4:27 pm

Ya'll crying about a player we will probably have on our team for 8 games! Man you guys need basketball to start!

Return to Phoenix Suns