ImageImageImage

2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread)

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Would you prefer a regular season from Christmas to late June and playoffs late June to late August?

Yes, move season back
73%
No, leave as is
27%

Total votes: 41

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2381 » by Revived » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:55 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Revived wrote:Keeping Payne over Carter would be idiotic. Carter is way better than both Payne and Jerome because he’s at least good on one end of the court.

The other poster who said Payne isn’t all that much better than many realgm posters isn’t all that far off. We’re about to find this out the hard way.

And please don’t flaunt his G league stats lol, Archie Goodwin was highly touted in the GLeague and summer leagues and he’s now in Germany playing basketball in an arena that holds less people than many high school gyms do.

Sad part is that I was a believer in Goodwin but then reality hit :(

So it sounds like this an emotional take for you. Understandable. Fanning is hard.

Sounds like you may have looked up Archie's SL and G-League stats, as I notice you say he was "highly touted." But you see, stats. Stats are numbers that represent the things that happen in games. Archie couldn't shoot, maybe Payne can. There is reason to think so: perhaps!

Payne shoots 33% from 3 on 2.4 attempts a game. That’s bad and he knows it which is why he only shoots it about 2-3 times a game.

It’s perfectly logical to think that a former 1st rd pick who is on his 4th team before the age of 25 is dog crap at playing basketball. He lasted a whooping 4 years in the NBA before James Jones brought him back.

I would have rolled the dice on Anthony Bennett over Payne because at least Bennett plays a position which we need help at.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,823

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2382 » by Saberestar » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:25 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#2383 » by Wilber85 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:19 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Does that mean Booker wants to win all 8 games ? Or just score 40 + Points in those games and the outcome doesn't matter as long as he gets his.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,044

Post#2384 » by sunsbg » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:11 pm

Wilber85 wrote:
Does that mean Booker wants to win all 8 games ? Or just score 40 + Points in those games and the outcome doesn't matter as long as he gets his.

It should be pretty clear to him by now, no wins means no chance at All NBA team.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#2385 » by nevetsov » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:22 pm

Payne is this year's Jimmer Fredette signing.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#2386 » by cberry78 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:30 pm

nevetsov wrote:Payne is this year's Jimmer Fredette signing.
Are you predicting that he's also going to steal another 70 point game from Booker?

Sent from my moto e5 play using RealGM mobile app
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#2387 » by Jdiddy701 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:57 pm

cberry78 wrote:
Are you predicting that he's also going to steal another 70 point game from Booker?

I forgot about that game. It pissed me off so much. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#2388 » by cberry78 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:25 pm

Jdiddy701 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:

I forgot about that game. It pissed me off so much. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is quite literally the only thing I remember about Jimmer's tenure with the Suns. Oh yeah, and his awesome shooting prowess now that I think about it. :banghead:
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,499

Post#2389 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:38 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09

Could Sarvers Arizona Alumni ties, And his love for Arizona players leas to him influencing Jones in the draft to select Mannion? Or maybe Josh Green? Would Nico Mannion be a solid selection anyways? :dontknow:
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#2390 » by Crives » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:44 pm

Maybe we will prioritize resigning Baynes

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#2391 » by Saberestar » Wed Jul 1, 2020 10:14 pm

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#2392 » by Saberestar » Wed Jul 1, 2020 10:51 pm

No doubt about the starting five...Rubio, Booker, Bridges, Saric and Ayton.

But what about the backup unit? I would say Carter, Payne, Cam Johnson, Kaminsky and Baynes.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,183

Post#2393 » by Frank Lee » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:02 pm

I would say it doesn’t matter

Perhaps we signed Payne because one of those 5 PGs has the Covid

Somebody does :roll:
What ? Me Worry ?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2394 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:12 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#2395 » by El Hespiritu » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:17 pm

Mmmh...

I guess the hole left by Jared Harpo (he will now play for NYK) in the PG rotation was too ominous and needing to be filled.
As I said some months ago, in the Black Troll Suns thread:

"-How many point guards do you need?"
"-Yes!!"

The guy himself... in fact he has some talent, some ball handling and he's even capable to score when he's in the mood.
As a game runner lacks almost everything. You just can't give him the reigns of the team and expect any good from it... not at his current level of developement and remains to be seen if somewhere in the future.

He can be sliiiiiiightly presentable defending on-ball but gets lost too often in the collective defense; of course we're talking about the "collective" defense of Chicago Bulls (insert your facepalm here), so to be fair we should spare that in the reckoning.

He has some impressive physical skills and he's usually loved by his former teammates.

He might have some glue-guy edge.

Or locker room's mascot, at least.

I don't think he can fill Huevón Carter's sneakers at all... he should fight for minutes with El Kubo and Jeremías (provided the three of them stay here next season, 'course)

Addendo: While trying to write this, I closed five times the pop-up video "10 top news NBA" and the "We value your privacy- authorize cookies" stuff.
Whoever who programmed that bot to do so is in desperate need of some healing lobotomy.

Addendo's update: 10 times now, when editing the post. Instead of lobotomy I'd go for euthanasia.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2396 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:51 pm

El Hespiritu wrote:Mmmh...

I guess the hole left by Jared Harpo (he will now play for NYK) in the PG rotation was too ominous and needing to be filled.
As I said some months ago, in the Black Troll Suns thread:

"-How many point guards do you need?"
"-Yes!!"

The guy himself... in fact he has some talent, some ball handling and he's even capable to score when he's in the mood.
As a game runner lacks almost everything. You just can't give him the reigns of the team and expect any good from it... not at his current level of developement and remains to be seen if somewhere in the future.

He can be sliiiiiiightly presentable defending on-ball but gets lost too often in the collective defense; of course we're talking about the "collective" defense of Chicago Bulls (insert your facepalm here), so to be fair we should spare that in the reckoning.

He has some impressive physical skills and he's usually loved by his former teammates.

He might have some glue-guy edge.

Or locker room's mascot, at least.

I don't think he can fill Huevón Carter's sneakers at all... he should fight for minutes with El Kubo and Jeremías (provided the three of them stay here next season, 'course)

Addendo: While trying to write this, I closed five times the pop-up video "10 top news NBA" and the "We value your privacy- authorize cookies" stuff.
Whoever who programmed that bot to do so is in desperate need of some healing lobotomy.

Addendo's update: 10 times now, when editing the post. Instead of lobotomy I'd go for euthanasia.

Hopefully he'll be used as a trade asset in part to a bigger deal. Perhaps for the purposes of salary matching or as a throw in? We still desperately need a legitimate starting 3 an D 4, AND an actual competent backup guard. Definitely a bizarre and overall head scratching move so far?
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#2397 » by nevetsov » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:54 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Maybe now that we've collected 5 backup PGs, they can form together like voltron into one super capable backup PG?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2398 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jul 2, 2020 2:01 am

nevetsov wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Maybe now that we've collected 5 backup PGs, they can form together like voltron into one super capable backup PG?

:lol: Good one! :wink:
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#2399 » by King4Day » Thu Jul 2, 2020 12:31 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Does anyone know what 'lightly guaranteed' means?
Are we saying he has a small buyout? Why would we ever consider giving him anything more than a non guaranteed deal for next season?

Unless the guarantee is for these 8 games only. I'm fine with that.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2400 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jul 2, 2020 2:06 pm

King4Day wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Does anyone know what 'lightly guaranteed' means?
Are we saying he has a small buyout? Why would we ever consider giving him anything more than a non guaranteed deal for next season?

Unless the guarantee is for these 8 games only. I'm fine with that.

I believe that they were mentioning on the podcast that their line of thinking was to bring in Cameron Payne in one final attempt to challenge their current stable of guards for the backup guard position. But that the 2nd year was " lightly guaranteed " ( Team option)??? So that they could protect themselves a bit, In case Payne underperforms or disappoints. So ultimately, I believe that they will use Payne sporadically in these 8 ( meaningless games) to really challenge Okobo/ Carter/ Jerome? And to also see if his G league improvement are a fluke or IF he has actually turned a corner in his development and can secure a rotation spot over the other 3 bench guards? :dontknow:

Return to Phoenix Suns