ImageImageImage

2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread)

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Would you prefer a regular season from Christmas to late June and playoffs late June to late August?

Yes, move season back
73%
No, leave as is
27%

Total votes: 41

SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,557

Re: 2019-20 Season Speculation, free agency, summer trades: The excitement of the trade deadline has passed! 

Post#81 » by SunsLyf3 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:02 pm

If IT is cut how does everyone feel about him being the scoring punch off the bench?
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Re: 2019-20 Season Speculation, free agency, summer trades: The excitement of the trade deadline has passed! 

Post#82 » by LukasBMW » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:18 pm

So our lineup next year will be:

Rubio/Okobo
Book/Cam
Oubre/Bridges
?????/Frank
Ayton/????

-Baynes is gone to a contender.
-I'd take Saric back for the right price even though he has been underwhelming.
-It's a shame we didn't use TJohnon a bit better. I thought he had potential as a 6th man, but you can tell he's upset about his role an ready to move on.

Even though we will have some cap space, it will be tough for us to improve our roster or even break even on talent level assuming we lose Baynes and Saric

Basically we will have a late lottery pick and about $20 mil to obtain a decent backup center, a starting stretch 4, and an upgrade at PG.

I'm actually thinking the best play might be to make Dinwiddie a huge 1 year offer ($18 mil) and then try to retain Saric to a reasonable deal (3 year/18 mil) as well as offer Baynes a lucrative 1 year deal ($11m/1 year).

This allows us to basically "punt" on free agency and gives us even more cap room in 2021.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#83 » by LukasBMW » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:19 pm

SunsLyf3 wrote:If IT is cut how does everyone feel about him being the scoring punch off the bench?

Totally down! Just wish we had our old training staff! They could bring him back to life.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,380

Post#84 » by sunskerr » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:22 pm

Did the deadline pass already? Thread on the GB says Markkanen wants out of Chicago.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#85 » by El Hespiritu » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:22 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:Black troll?
Yes... since five months ago or so.
There's even some threads with that name and a bunch of references in gifs and memes.
lilfishi22 wrote:That's kinda racist
No, it isn't.

Addedit: mmmh...

Just to explain it to future readers (you never know... maybe there's any):

I published a meme that could be read in different ways, all of them perfectly acceptables in English but one of them particularly disgrafecul, so I changed the pic by a "man at work" one...
... wich leads to some interpretations about our trade deadline but that's an entirely different matter.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
TheLogician
Sixth Man
And1: 1,532

Post#86 » by TheLogician » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:24 pm

sunskerr wrote:Did the deadline pass already? Thread on the GB says Markkanen wants out of Chicago.

Gambo also bringing him up as a possible target this summer along with Dinwiddie.

He's also speculating they could move on a big name if Houston or Portland blows it up. Groundbreaking insight.

Read on Twitter
bwoolf2
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,306

Post#87 » by bwoolf2 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:25 pm

I don't think we are using the g league effectively, guys like Okobo and Jerome earlier in the year should be down there learning how to lead a team when to be aggressive when to pull back they clearly aren't getting that up here
Desertfox
Pro Prospect
And1: 819

Post#88 » by Desertfox » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:32 pm

When have we ever learned to develop players? Milwaukee sent down Bender and Memphis sent down Jackson.

Why wait till summer to make a trade for Markkanen? Why not do it now, so you have a better idea what other holes you need in to fill in the summer?
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,380

Post#89 » by sunskerr » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:34 pm

James Jones has this offseason to show that he is not simply an incompetent GM. His track record suggests he’s made one good trade (Oubre), and failed in all other transactions. I’m checking out of this season though.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#90 » by Damkac » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:36 pm

In few years when talking about "The Phoenix Suns Nightmare Years" McDonough and Jones will be mentioned in one breath.

If the team don't improve much next season I'm 100% sure Book will demand trade. Not sure if it's to Minny, but I think he is sick of this team already.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#91 » by Damkac » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:38 pm

sunskerr wrote:James Jones has this offseason to show that he is not simply an incompetent GM. His track record suggests he’s made one good trade (Oubre), and failed in all other transactions. I’m checking out of this season though.

Should we even give him credit for trading for Oubre when he was not his target?
TheLogician
Sixth Man
And1: 1,532

Post#92 » by TheLogician » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:43 pm

It makes more sense to sign Gallo and draft Nico than trade picks/assets for Markkanen and Dinwiddie. Two guys who don't defend. At least get a proven commodity and a guy with upside on a rookie scale contract.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#93 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:44 pm

Damkac wrote:
sunskerr wrote:James Jones has this offseason to show that he is not simply an incompetent GM. His track record suggests he’s made one good trade (Oubre), and failed in all other transactions. I’m checking out of this season though.

Should we even give him credit for trading for Oubre when he was not his target?
One could argue his original target was also a good move, Brooks can play.

I don't think it's ever been mentioned here but John hollinger was on a pod Lowe and they talked about that whole mess. He was in the Griz front office at the time so had 1st hand info and he said they never talked to Phoenix when that was going down and Grunfield was brokering both sides.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#94 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:52 pm

El Hespiritu wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Black troll?
Yes... since five months ago or so.
There's even some threads with that name and a bunch of references in gifs and memes.
lilfishi22 wrote:That's kinda racist
No, it isn't.

Calling James Jones a black troll isn't racist?

Black GM almost sounds professional
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,089

Post#95 » by SlovenianDragon » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:06 am

grumpysaddle wrote:James Jones sure gets paid a lot to do absolutely nothing.

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Post#96 » by Revived » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:06 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Revived wrote:I’m surprised I haven’t seen this yet (maybe it was in previous thread and I missed it) but the possibility of Booker demanding trade out to Minnesota has to now be considered.

I know people will say that him having years left on his deal means he can’t tell us which specific team to trade him to but Paul George (a far superior player) proved last summer that players run this league and they get whatever the hell they want.

Beside DLO & KAT, does Minnesota have any assets left for a potential Booker trade? Can they even handle 3 max salaries?

This has to be talked about because it can be a real possibility in the summer.

No it's not. OKC knew it was time to rebuild, and they got a huge haul for him. Even though we are still rebuilding, Sarver would NEVER approve a Booker trade unless it was a no brainer trade. And we wouldn't get a no brainer trade offer. Sarver wouldn't consiser it, a least not until there were 2 years left on his contract and they knew he wasn't re-signing.

If OKC’s rebuilding, aren’t the Suns doing the same thing?

OKC could’ve traded George to another team with more offer to than the Clippers but George still finessed his way to the Clippers even despite having him many years left on his deal.

The players run this league now. It’s just not like the past anymore, they get whatever they want.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,912

Post#97 » by Fo-Real » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:08 am

So get healthy and hopefully play like we did to start the season. Nothing wrong with the front office trusting in the guys they acquired. Already have more wins than last year, have been SUPREMELY UNHEALTHY, but still in striking distance for playoffs near mid season?!?! Front Office chose to LET IT RIDE, ok I'll allow it, LETS SEE WHERE THIS GOES!!!
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,499

Post#98 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:09 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
I don't agree at all. I think Rubio, Booker, Bridges, Oubre, Jerome and Cam is a solid 7 of the 10 guys you need. I'm not going to label Jerome and Cam injury prone just based on this season. I'm also fine with one of Carter or Oubre as 3rd string PG, and Lecque as third string SG.

That leaves us needing:
- a backup 2
- a third string 3
- a rotation 4 (starter or bench)
- a third string 4
- a backup 5
- one more big (could be Diallo)

Plenty of ways to accomplish all that when you have a high draft pick and are one of only 5 teams with cap space this summer - and you have a ton of it. My analysis of the 4 spot is the same as bw's, which isn't too surprising - Wood, Gallinari, Millsap. I'd love to bring Dragan back along with Wood, but I can't imagine JJ&Co. would do it. My guess is they target one of Gallinari or Millsap.

There are just a ton of backup two's we could sign. If we were ballsy enough to, say, bring in Wood and Dragan (both HEALTHY young stretch bigs), and sign a serviceable backup 2 to a big short-term deal, we'd add a lot of depth to this crew. That doesn't even take into account the draft and potential giveaway (TJ Warren-style) trades by teams who need to clear space.

So do you think that the same team and a few changes will put us in the playoffs?

Baynes and Saric are better than Wood (around $12M?) and Bender IMO. Bender will be out of the league...come on. He is not even a third string. So with your idea probably the team is even worse...IDK.

Gallinari will not be an option for us. He will get a max (around 24M per year I think) and he will have a lot of great options. Millsap is a solid player but he is like 35 years old. You can't count on him to play more than 50-60 games next season and he is declining.

Backup SG...yeah, it will be great to have a good one, but not sure how is he gonna be good with no much money available for that spot.

If we can't find another starting PF, via Oubre trade or FA, I wouldn't be opposed to signing Millsap depending on price...but probably only one year with maybe a team option. He's played very well this season. Would be a solid vet, high IQ player who has always worked hard.

So who in 2020 free agency do you really like to fill the 2-3 spots for the needed shooters/ defenders???
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/ufa/ .
For my part, I like these shooters: ( from most expensive to cheapest).

Shooters- ( Shooting guards).
- Joe Harris.
- Bryn Forbes.
- Alec Burks.
- Glenn Robinson 3rd.
- Furkan Korkmaz.

Point Guards- ( Backup Guard).
- Goran Dragic. **( Would he accept around 10 million per)?
- Fred Van Fleet. **( Not Available)?? So....instead maybe............
- Jordan Clarkson.
- DJ Augustine.
- Isiah Thomas.
- Raul Neto.

Defenders-
- Serge Ibaka.
- Derrick Favors.
- Mo Harkless.
- Marcus Morris.
- Markieff Morris.
- Patrick Patterson.
- Noah Vonleh.

*** Backup Center-
- Aaron Baynes.
- Nerlens Noel.
- Alex Len.
- Dwight Howard.
- Willy Hernangomez.

*** The "Big Name Trade target in 2020 has to be Lauri Markannen, Or just find a way to sign both Ibaka and Grant.?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#99 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:10 am

Revived wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Revived wrote:I’m surprised I haven’t seen this yet (maybe it was in previous thread and I missed it) but the possibility of Booker demanding trade out to Minnesota has to now be considered.

I know people will say that him having years left on his deal means he can’t tell us which specific team to trade him to but Paul George (a far superior player) proved last summer that players run this league and they get whatever the hell they want.

Beside DLO & KAT, does Minnesota have any assets left for a potential Booker trade? Can they even handle 3 max salaries?

This has to be talked about because it can be a real possibility in the summer.

No it's not. OKC knew it was time to rebuild, and they got a huge haul for him. Even though we are still rebuilding, Sarver would NEVER approve a Booker trade unless it was a no brainer trade. And we wouldn't get a no brainer trade offer. Sarver wouldn't consiser it, a least not until there were 2 years left on his contract and they knew he wasn't re-signing.

If OKC’s rebuilding, aren’t the Suns doing the same thing?

OKC could’ve traded George to another team with more offer to than the Clippers but George still finessed his way to the Clippers even despite having him many years left on his deal.

The players run this league now. It’s just not like the past anymore, they get whatever they want.
There wasn't a team in the league that would have touched that clippers offer. Hell the clips wouldn't have done it if it wasn't required to land Leonard.

George also forced his was out if Indi and said he would only sign with the Lakers but Indi shipped his ass to OKC instead. Teams have no obligation to do what a player wants.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwoolf2
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,306

Post#100 » by bwoolf2 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:11 am

I think they will go after Galinari in the off season, once the trade to Miami didn't go through and saw he was going to be a free agent and wouldn't have to give up anything to get him they decided to hold off, plus there are not really any teams with Cap money that need a starting PF so they probably get him for a pretty fair contract. Depending on where their pick lands I also see them trading up for whoever they think is the best PG in the draft.

Return to Phoenix Suns