ImageImageImage

2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread)

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Would you prefer a regular season from Christmas to late June and playoffs late June to late August?

Yes, move season back
73%
No, leave as is
27%

Total votes: 41

RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,807

Re: 2019-20 Season Speculation, free agency, summer trades: The excitement of the trade deadline has passed! 

Post#881 » by RedIndian » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:57 am

I fear we're becoming obsessed with a desire to find a PF. If Baynes and Kaminsky had been healthy throughout, and Ayton hadn't missed 25 games, we wouldn't nearly be cribbing as much for the lack of a PF.

What we desperately need is another high-level shot creator. That's the key to unlock this team's potential.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,149

Re: 2019-20 Season Speculation, free agency, summer trades: The excitement of the trade deadline has passed! 

Post#882 » by Slim Charless » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:26 am

RedIndian wrote:I fear we're becoming obsessed with a desire to find a PF. If Baynes and Kaminsky had been healthy throughout, and Ayton hadn't missed 25 games, we wouldn't nearly be cribbing as much for the lack of a PF.

What we desperately need is another high-level shot creator. That's the key to unlock this team's potential.

Both guys are decent but Baynes is most likely leaving this summer and Kaminsky is someone who needs to come off the bench. Rubio handles the ball and Booker and Oubre both can do it when he sits. We need someone at the 4 who can give us some spacing for Ayton or some more defense/rebounding. Preferably someone who can do both.

After that tho a young PG would also be good to learn behind Rubio and hopefully take over for him would be good too.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,393

Post#883 » by SunsRback4Good » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:23 am

RedIndian wrote:I fear we're becoming obsessed with a desire to find a PF. If Baynes and Kaminsky had been healthy throughout, and Ayton hadn't missed 25 games, we wouldn't nearly be cribbing as much for the lack of a PF.

If everyone on our team was at least 90% healthy and we acquired a player similar to Clarkson or maybe Schroder that comes off the bench and lights it up for 20 on any given night would result in an 8th seed battle against the Grizzlies. Maybe next year we'll finally be healthy and make a few trades here and there to excell our team into the playoffs and end a 9 year drought.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#884 » by BobbieL » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:04 pm

Based on the performance of the current starting 5: Booker, Oubre, Ayton, Bridges and Rubio - I do agree that having a high level scorer off the bench is the highest priority for this offseason.

You are right, with a healthier Baynes, Kaminsky - this team is much different

And just think - the Suns were the youngest team in the league at the start of the year: Baynes has been out some 20 games Kaminsky too and now Tyler is gone. Three of the more veteran players on the team. The Suns are even younger today based on who is healthy. I have to keep that in mind.
RedIndian
Bench Warmer

Post#885 » by RedIndian » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:11 pm

I hope that Jones & Bower have the same idea - the interest in Kennard certainly seemed to indicate that they want to add a solid bench shot-creator.

Kennard's injury issues probably scuppered that deal, but that's the sort of player we need to look at.

I'd explore all of the following, and see who can be had the cheapest via trade or free agency:

VanVleet
Dinwiddie
Bogdan
Fournier
Devonte Graham
Schroder
Josh Richardson
Aaron Holiday
Sexton / Garland
Gary Harris
Derrick White
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#886 » by BobbieL » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:31 pm

RedIndian wrote:I hope that Jones & Bower have the same idea - the interest in Kennard certainly seemed to indicate that they want to add a solid bench shot-creator.

Kennard's injury issues probably scuppered that deal, but that's the sort of player we need to look at.

I'd explore all of the following, and see who can be had the cheapest via trade or free agency:

VanVleet
Dinwiddie
Bogdan
Fournier
Devonte Graham
Schroder
Josh Richardson
Aaron Holiday
Sexton / Garland
Gary Harris
Derrick White

I thought about a guy like Harris. He is not cheap - some 19m per year - but they may want to move him since they do have Barton. And they will have Jerami Grant to bring back.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,441

Post#887 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:35 pm

You're definitely not wrongbabout needingba high level scorer off the bench to maintain our lead when the starters go out. Butbwe desperately need more depth in multiple areas of the roster. As we've been repeatedly exposed by the injuries we've endured. These positions are Scoring off the bench, Backup point guard and especially a quality 3 & D power forward.

Now the reason that I say that a starting level ( and possibly backup 4 too ) is of primary importance, Is in that we simply give up so many easy shots at the rim and in the paint, That it gets the opposing teams into a great offensive rythym early on. After that happens, Their shooters have great confidence, And then they start burying us from the outside. The sad truth is that we literally have no bench depth, And both Saric and Kaminsky are simply not starting level bigs. They'd be fine off the bench. But neither provides any real defense or consistency. Now what we should have done, Was to trade Johnson's expiring, Saric and maybe Okobo to Sacramento for Bjelica to be our starting 4 ( As he's shooting over 43% for the season, and Cory Joseph who both have unguaranteed contracts. And gotten back a 2nd round pick for our troubles.

Bjelica would easily of helped our floor spacing needs. And Joseph wouldve been a very solid defensive backup guard for us. And again, Neither would've affected our longterm cap space. Then we could've waived Joseph at a minimal cost, and added: Van Fleet and Joe Harris, Or Van Fleet and Bogdanovic. Use that 2nd round pick on Grant Rillerof Charleston. And have Van Fleet mentor him for us. Or trade back up into the mid first round for Devin Vassell using Baynes and the 2nd ( acquired from Sacramento). Vassell has star potential as a scorer, And he also plays defense too.

Then in 2021, We use our remaining cap space to sign Lou Williams as an unrestricted free agent. But seeing as we didn't, We need to add one of either Harris for ( 10 million)or Forbes for ( 5 million) and then offer van Fleet ( 11 million) or Augustine ( Augustine 9 million or Shabazz Napier around ( 3 million)) this offseason for bench scoring/ 3 point shooting. :nod:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,366

Post#888 » by bwgood77 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:38 pm

Slim Charless wrote:

Both guys are decent but Baynes is most likely leaving this summer and Kaminsky is someone who needs to come off the bench. Rubio handles the ball and Booker and Oubre both can do it when he sits. We need someone at the 4 who can give us some spacing for Ayton or some more defense/rebounding. Preferably someone who can do both.

After that tho a young PG would also be good to learn behind Rubio and hopefully take over for him would be good too.

I agree we need another shot creator but it would be nice if we could find a 4 that could create shots (and by "shot creator" I don't mean can score on their own I mean create shots for others, ie pass....Kelly is not a "shot creator" but a shot taker). But I do agree, ideally we need a guy that can spread the floor and play defense. Pretty hard to find a PF that does all 3. For example, Draymond is one of the best defensive/passing PFs but can't shoot very well. That's why I like Millsap for a year (though old) and then why I mention Gordon and maybe drafting Toppin who may have the capability to do all 3.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#889 » by RunDogGun » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:39 pm

BobbieL wrote:
RedIndian wrote:I hope that Jones & Bower have the same idea - the interest in Kennard certainly seemed to indicate that they want to add a solid bench shot-creator.

VanVleet
Dinwiddie
Bogdan
Fournier
Devonte Graham
Schroder
Josh Richardson
Aaron Holiday
Sexton / Garland
Gary Harris
Derrick White

I thought about a guy like Harris. He is not cheap - some 19m per year - but they may want to move him since they do have Barton. And they will have Jerami Grant to bring back.

It would be like signing Tyler Johnson, only getting a player that can produce. :wink:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,366

Post#890 » by bwgood77 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:42 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
BobbieL wrote:

VanVleet
Dinwiddie
Bogdan
Fournier
Devonte Graham
Schroder
Josh Richardson
Aaron Holiday
Sexton / Garland
Gary Harris
Derrick White

It would be like signing Tyler Johnson, only getting a player that can produce. :wink:

I was reading about how Denver was trying to trade Harris for LaVine and they were talking about how they were trying to do it before people realized Harris had really dropped off and was in steep decline. Look at his #s this year. It would probably be just like getting Tyler Johnson all over again. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/harriga01.html
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#891 » by RunDogGun » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:51 pm

So are we expecting to resign the players we have expiring, since we have not bought them out? I would like to see this team healthy for a bit with maybe another scorer/passer off the bench. At what point do we give up on Okobo? Can Lecque be anything more than a flashy out of control athletic player?

Although it would hurt our draft position, I would really like to see this group healthy and finish strong even if we miss the playoffs. It will show that the talent is there, we just had major setbacks with injuries and the suspension.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#892 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:56 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
BobbieL wrote:

I was reading about how Denver was trying to trade Harris for LaVine and they were talking about how they were trying to do it before people realized Harris had really dropped off and was in steep decline. Look at his #s this year. It would probably be just like getting Tyler Johnson all over again. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/harriga01.html
Yeah the fall from grace by Harris has been something. I wonder if it's an injury or something. He basically went from one of their best players to a real risk of falling out of the rotation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#893 » by RunDogGun » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:57 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
BobbieL wrote:

Harris isn't worth $19 mil. TJ's issues seemed to revolve around injuries. I don't know enough about Harris to make the same opinion for the drop off, but he has missed a bunch of games. His shot amounts have decreased as well, from his best season. Could that be lack of confidence, or just not getting the opportunity to shoot? Either way, I think there are better options for less money.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#894 » by RunDogGun » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:07 pm

So if Houston is looking to sign Carroll and Green, who are they releasing?
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,799

Post#895 » by Saberestar » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:13 pm

RunDogGun wrote:So are we expecting to resign the players we have expiring, since we have not bought them out? I would like to see this team healthy for a bit with maybe another scorer/passer off the bench. At what point do we give up on Okobo? Can Lecque be anything more than a flashy out of control athletic player?

Although it would hurt our draft position, I would really like to see this group healthy and finish strong even if we miss the playoffs. It will show that the talent is there, we just had major setbacks with injuries and the suspension.

I can see this happening for next season:

PG - Rubio, FA, Jerome
SG - Booker, FA, Leque
SF- Oubre, Cam, FA
PF - Bridges, Kaminsky, FA
C - Ayton, Baynes, Bolden/Diallo

That would mean that we would sign a couple of perimeter's backups (PG and SG) and a couple of third string players (SF and PF/C...probably one of these our first round pick).

With the money that we will have available this summer we will not have any problem signing these type of bench players and then signing back one of Baynes/Saric (around $10M) with his Bird rights.

That team probably will no be good enough to be in the playoffs, but looks a realistic scenario for us.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,441

Post#896 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:24 pm

BobbieL wrote:

VanVleet
Dinwiddie
Bogdan
Fournier
Devonte Graham
Schroder
Josh Richardson
Aaron Holiday
Sexton / Garland
Gary Harris
Derrick White

There's actually a lot of bargain options for solid shooters in this 2020 free agency. Meaning we shouldn't really need to expend any assets for them:

- Etwaun Moore-
39% career 3 point shooter8.5 million.
- Joe Harris-
42% career 3 point shooter8 million.
- Langston Galloway-
39% 3 point shootingfor the season 7 million.
- Justin Holiday-
41% 3 point shooting for the season 4 million.
- ***Bryn Forbes***-
39% Career 3 point shooter 3 million. Streaky but lethal 3 point shooter when he gets it going.
- Alec Burks-
37% 3 point shooting for the season 2.3 million. A big time scorer when given minutes.
- Glenn Robinson 3rd-
37% 3 point shooting for the season 1.8 million. Is a really solid scorer and plus athlete too.
- Furkan Korkmaz-
39 % 3 point shooting for the season 1.6 million.
- David Nwaba-*** unsigned.
42% 3 pointbshooting for the season

So all of these players are solid scoring options for our bench needs, And many could possibly be had relatively cheaply in free agency. My favorite options are:

Joe Harris, Bryn Forbes, Alec Burks, Glenn Robinson 3rd, and Furkan Korkmaz. David Nwaba for the minimum possibly. So we need to draft a top notch 3 and D power forward, And then sign two scorers for our bench, Then look to resign Baynes, and possibly sign in free agency ( Jerami Grant PO, Markieff Morris, Montrez Harrell, Jamychal Green, Patrick Patterson, ChristianWood? or trade for ( Bjelica)? a solid starting 4.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#897 » by RunDogGun » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:26 pm

Saberestar wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:So are we expecting to resign the players we have expiring, since we have not bought them out? I would like to see this team healthy for a bit with maybe another scorer/passer off the bench. At what point do we give up on Okobo? Can Lecque be anything more than a flashy out of control athletic player?

I can see this happening for next season:

PG - Rubio, FA, Jerome
SG - Booker, FA, Leque
SF- Oubre, Cam, FA
PF - Bridges, Kaminsky, FA
C - Ayton, Baynes, Bolden/Diallo

That would mean that we would sign a couple of perimeter's backups (PG and SG) and a couple of third string players (SF and PF/C...probably one of these our first round pick).

With the money that we will have available this summer we will not have any problem signing these type of bench players and then signing back one of Baynes/Saric (around $10M) with his Bird rights.

That team probably will no be good enough to be in the playoffs, but looks a realistic scenario for us.

We still have our draft pick too, right? We started out really well this year, losing close call games. I could see us doing a lot better than we think as long as we stay healthy.
RedIndian
Bench Warmer

Post#898 » by RedIndian » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:26 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

I agree we need another shot creator but it would be nice if we could find a 4 that could create shots (and by "shot creator" I don't mean can score on their own I mean create shots for others, ie pass....Kelly is not a "shot creator" but a shot taker). But I do agree, ideally we need a guy that can spread the floor and play defense. Pretty hard to find a PF that does all 3. For example, Draymond is one of the best defensive/passing PFs but can't shoot very well. That's why I like Millsap for a year (though old) and then why I mention Gordon and maybe drafting Toppin who may have the capability to do all 3.

I define a 'shot-creator' as someone who can do all three of handling, passing and scoring. Say someone with a floor of 15-4-4 on 45/35/80 splits.

Oubre can score, and at a pretty reasonably efficiency, but he's an average ball-handler and a mediocre passer.

He scores decently because of (1) his great length, and ability to shoot over defenders (plus the fact that his shooting form is largely decent); and (2) because of his first step and athleticism which allows to get to the line at a decent clip. He can't create much separation of the dribble, which is why his scoring disappears when guarded tightly.

A genuine shot-creator who can handle, pass and score would open many things on this roster. Takes the pressure off Booker having to constantly create off the dribble, takes the pressure off Oubre of being the secondary scorer, which he's only occasionally good at, takes the pressure off Rubio and allows him to be purely the great playmaking PG he is, and lastly, helps the bench become better by adding playmaking to the second unit.

I don't think the need for a great PF is nearly as much. Ayton / Baynes / Kaminsky would take care of most of our rebounding and scoring needs. The rest of the PF needs can easily be met by Oubre, Cam and reasonably cheap FA signing (say JaMychal Green, Christian Wood or even Saric) or a rookie like Toppin, Reed or Smith.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#899 » by RunDogGun » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:28 pm

I like Korkmaz.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,799

Post#900 » by Saberestar » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:04 pm

RunDogGun wrote:I like Korkmaz.

He is under contract for next season. And he is starting for the Sixers now, so I can not see him on the trade block.

Return to Phoenix Suns