No, Embiid
21%
No, Towns
No votes

Total votes: 24

LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Re: Game 53: Denver Nuggets (36-16) @ Phoenix Suns (21-31), Sat, Feb 8, 7pm MST 

Post#261 » by LesGrossman » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:35 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
ATTL wrote:Is it a hot take to ask if the team can ever be a real contender with Booker's defense?

No. But he is improving. Just needs to keep it up.

I dont see it. Honestly he often pretends to play defense and then just doesnt move or even try to make a difference. He just gives up. Go to the 2 min mark 4th quarter of the game and watch how he once again stands in help position because his guy is buried deep in the short corner of the weak side...he sees a nugget guy beat both defenders and he is the one (and only one) to step in and provide help. Does not move a toe, just does not care. Gives up open layup and tries to compensate by scoring. That just isnt getting it done no matter how well he scores. BTW LeBron plays the exact same way for two seasons now, maybe Book thinks its ok because of that.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,035

Post#262 » by sunsbg » Sun Feb 9, 2020 3:53 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
ATTL wrote:Is it a hot take to ask if the team can ever be a real contender with Booker's defense?

I dont see it. Honestly he often pretends to play defense and then just doesnt move or even try to make a difference. He just gives up. Go to the 2 min mark 4th quarter of the game and watch how he once again stands in help position because his guy is buried deep in the short corner of the weak side...he sees a nugget guy beat both defenders and he is the one (and only one) to step in and provide help. Does not move a toe, just does not care. Gives up open layup and tries to compensate by scoring. That just isnt getting it done no matter how well he scores. BTW LeBron plays the exact same way for two seasons now, maybe Book thinks its ok because of that.

There was a similar situation I remember in the game where he jumped at Murray on a drive and it ended in 2 free throws. Would have happened the same as he was too far to defend this drive or Murray would have passed to an open man for a 3. Funny that you are so fixated on Booker when as you said Murray beat two others to get to the basket, one of them Mikal, who many consider great defender. Another play during same stretch when he didn't stay in front of his man, he never seems to go under screens and Ayton is always ending on his man, probably by design. Usually Bridges will switch on the rolling big and try to prevent a pass, but not in this case :

All in all, Murray embarrassed Mikal and DA on two consecutive plays, but let's put the blame on Booker.
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#263 » by hollywood6964 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:00 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
El Hespiritu wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:He lost his temper at least once..
My point exactly.
Just once in a whole game.
With the blonde ref roaming around!

That's a great improvement for him.

You have something against blondes? I like brunettes better too, but some of the blondes are nice....Sharon Stone back in the day and now Margot Robbie....I certainly can't complain.

Uh oh, the white knight's here!
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,472

Post#264 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:15 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Yeah, 33% from the field, and Oubre, despite the highlight plays that will make people think he is awesome, is shooting 38% overall and 30% from 3....on 10 shots from 3...those are all killers.

Started off well, but cooled off big time.

Can only expect Ayton, a 2nd year player who has played 94 games or so in the NBA. Will probably be our best player soon.

So would you tentatively, Or already outright say that Ayton is our primary franchise building block and Booker is our secondary? A strong secondary yes! But never the less, more of a number two level option to this point, As opposed to a first option? :dontknow:

None of this "number one/number two/number x option" would even be talked about on a winning team. Take the best shot, pass good for great shot, that is what this team needs. Less superstar attitude less stat padding or caring about all star snubs and such nonsense. Allow me to quote maybe the greatest coach ever:
"We believe in people executing their role and caring about the team more than anything individually."

That perspective is of course a perfectly fine one to have, And I do get where your coming from. But I'd have to disagree a bit on your point that it wouldn't be a point if discussion on " Winning" teams. I mean obviously, Every team has their " Go to" players and designated " team leaders " that can carry a team when the gameplan is not being executed optimally, Or the teams offense becomes stagnant at times throughout the game. But even aside from that,

For us specifically, and honestly as well as most every other team out there winning or not, The pecking order also plays a critical role in determining how and who for specific plays are created, Also it plays an important role in determining who is the most consistent and reliable options to look to in terms of production, etc. And how specific defensive assignments and " Gameplanning from opposing teams is usually constructed. Ideally, I would love your idea of a team playing specifically within the most efficient and logical offensive/ defensive available scheme. But it just seems with the fluidity and unpredictability of " in game" situations, That is just not a constant variable that can't always be depended on.

Also, It becomes more important for our young team with respect to determining specific roles/ capabilities for individual players on our team, As well as the necessary continuing evaluation of players in contractual situations that may/ will affect the teams short/ long term payroll considerations. And in determining who to retain or potentially trade in interest of roster upgrades and improvements. So, Again, it's just my personal perspective, But it's still an important team dynamic that needs to be considered. :dontknow:
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#265 » by Fo-Real » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:33 pm

The female ref was ATROCIOUS!! Not because she is a she but because that person is horrible at the job!!!
LesGrossman
Head Coach

Post#266 » by LesGrossman » Sun Feb 9, 2020 5:34 pm

sunsbg wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

There was a similar situation I remember in the game where he jumped at Murray on a drive and it ended in 2 free throws. Would have happened the same as he was too far to defend this drive or Murray would have passed to an open man for a 3. Funny that you are so fixated on Booker when as you said Murray beat two others to get to the basket, one of them Mikal, who many consider great defender. Another play during same stretch when he didn't stay in front of his man, he never seems to go under screens and Ayton is always ending on his man, probably by design. Usually Bridges will switch on the rolling big and try to prevent a pass, but not in this case :

All in all, Murray embarrassed Mikal and DA on two consecutive plays, but let's put the blame on Booker.

Who cares about "embarrassed"? Thats the reason guys dont go for blocks any more because they're afraid of getting "embarrassed". People get beaten by offense every game every day, because officiating and rules favor the offensive guy in the NBA. Mickal is a GREAT defender partly because he doesnt give a rats ass about getting "embarrassed". That isnt the topic; you deal with it by playing help defense and THAT is what i am talking about. Yes if you are too slow it ends up in two free throws but you still rather give two free throws than one uncontested layup, if you want to win games. Booker ended up with 3 PF and this was in the last two minutes, you wanna say he cant afford to give a foul there?
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,448

Post#267 » by bwgood77 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 6:23 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Did you watch his defense last year? He's obviously night and day from a guy like Bridges, or even Rubio. Well, our whole starting lineup, but he's much better than last year.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#268 » by sunsbg » Sun Feb 9, 2020 6:24 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:I dont see it. Honestly he often pretends to play defense and then just doesnt move or even try to make a difference. He just gives up. Go to the 2 min mark 4th quarter of the game and watch how he once again stands in help position because his guy is buried deep in the short corner of the weak side...he sees a nugget guy beat both defenders and he is the one (and only one) to step in and provide help. Does not move a toe, just does not care. Gives up open layup and tries to compensate by scoring. That just isnt getting it done no matter how well he scores. BTW LeBron plays the exact same way for two seasons now, maybe Book thinks its ok because of that.

Who cares about "embarrassed"? Thats the reason guys dont go for blocks any more because they're afraid of getting "embarrassed". People get beaten by offense every game every day, because officiating and rules favor the offensive guy in the NBA. Mickal is a GREAT defender partly because he doesnt give a rats ass about getting "embarrassed". That isnt the topic; you deal with it by playing help defense and THAT is what i am talking about. Yes if you are too slow it ends up in two free throws but you still rather give two free throws than one uncontested layup, if you want to win games. Booker ended up with 3 PF and this was in the last two minutes, you wanna say he cant afford to give a foul there?

That foul can easily be +1 in this situation. I want to say you are nitpicking Devin's D intentionally for some time now and that's not the right play to do it. Probably can come with something better.
LesGrossman
Head Coach

Post#269 » by LesGrossman » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:27 pm

sunsbg wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

That foul can easily be +1 in this situation. I want to say you are nitpicking Devin's D intentionally for some time now and that's not the right play to do it. Probably can come with something better.

I dont think you understand the concept of help defense then. Theres a reason for his positioning and he clearly has the task to step over and in the way of the offensive player. Or, if he is afraid of the pass in the corner, at least be there. As it is, all he does is pretend to play help while not helping and not defending his own guy either. And that is not one random inciednt, i have pointed the exact same thing out last game and i can continue to direct your attention to it if you do not see it in the heat of the moment. Its not "nitpicking" really. Guys get beaten, that is normal in this league, but they at least try, the continue to play D, sometimes get the deflection or block from behind. Sometimes they take charges. Devin Booker, playing nearly 36min/Game, draws the same number of charges as *drumroll* Ty Johnson in 16 min - a breathtaking 0.06/game. He is the worst defender on this team by a wide margin.

That being said i am all in all not a great fan of the whole defensive concept. The sagging defense against high screens is somewhat outdated in a league full of 3pt shooters, which is why we continue to put the pressure of defending two guys alone on our wings and guards - often resulting in chasing over screens and fouling a 3pt shooter. The positioning of the guards is way too open because there is no real difference maker to funnel the guy into (as was Gobert, in Utah). Here the guards intentionally leave the door open and theres noone stopping the layup. I continue to wait for some sort of adjustments from the coaches.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#270 » by sunsbg » Sun Feb 9, 2020 9:09 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:Who cares about "embarrassed"? Thats the reason guys dont go for blocks any more because they're afraid of getting "embarrassed". People get beaten by offense every game every day, because officiating and rules favor the offensive guy in the NBA. Mickal is a GREAT defender partly because he doesnt give a rats ass about getting "embarrassed". That isnt the topic; you deal with it by playing help defense and THAT is what i am talking about. Yes if you are too slow it ends up in two free throws but you still rather give two free throws than one uncontested layup, if you want to win games. Booker ended up with 3 PF and this was in the last two minutes, you wanna say he cant afford to give a foul there?

I dont think you understand the concept of help defense then. Theres a reason for his positioning and he clearly has the task to step over and in the way of the offensive player. Or, if he is afraid of the pass in the corner, at least be there. As it is, all he does is pretend to play help while not helping and not defending his own guy either. And that is not one random inciednt, i have pointed the exact same thing out last game and i can continue to direct your attention to it if you do not see it in the heat of the moment. Its not "nitpicking" really. Guys get beaten, that is normal in this league, but they at least try, the continue to play D, sometimes get the deflection or block from behind. Sometimes they take charges. Devin Booker, playing nearly 36min/Game, draws the same number of charges as *drumroll* Ty Johnson in 16 min - a breathtaking 0.06/game. He is the worst defender on this team by a wide margin.

That being said i am all in all not a great fan of the whole defensive concept. The sagging defense against high screens is somewhat outdated in a league full of 3pt shooters, which is why we continue to put the pressure of defending two guys alone on our wings and guards - often resulting in chasing over screens and fouling a 3pt shooter. The positioning of the guards is way too open because there is no real difference maker to funnel the guy into (as was Gobert, in Utah). Here the guards intentionally leave the door open and theres noone stopping the layup. I continue to wait for some sort of adjustments from the coaches.

If you truly believe Booker, the great shot blocker, is the one, who should come from the weak side and stop Murray, while three players from the strong side couldn't do it, than I have to question your overall BB knowledge. Your boy has more fault in this case .You'll see this situation many many times in a game where the weak side defender will prefer to defend the 3, which is much more likely staying where Devin is positioned.

The comparisons between players with different role are weak as well. If you put a blame on offensive players for not giving enough effort on D, at least do the opposite too.

I generally agree with your view about team play, but I hope you realize you sound like an angry (word you used to describe others) Rubio fanboy with all these shots at Booker you make in every post.
LesGrossman
Head Coach

Post#271 » by LesGrossman » Sun Feb 9, 2020 11:27 pm

sunsbg wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

If you truly believe Booker, the great shot blocker, is the one, who should come from the weak side and stop Murray, while three players from the strong side couldn't do it, than I have to question your overall BB knowledge. Your boy has more fault in this case .You'll see this situation many many times in a game where the weak side defender will prefer to defend the 3, which is much more likely staying where Devin is positioned.

The comparisons between players with different role are weak as well. If you put a blame on offensive players for not giving enough effort on D, at least do the opposite too.

I generally agree with your view about team play, but I hope you realize you sound like an angry (word you used to describe others) Rubio fanboy with all these shots at Booker you make in every post.

Thanks for the picture. Rubio defends the guy in the corner and has ZERO to do with the whole scene other than trying to cheat and steal the ball from behind. Noone would help off the strong side. It is very obvious that Booker is asked to help and rotate over here (he should have been moving by that time already), either taking a charge or going for the block. Thats a point guard there, why is it asking too much to help? I dont get it.

I dont know what oyu mean by "the comparison between players with different role are weak". Do you mean the fact that Tyler Johnson in half the time takes the same number of charges as Booker (more or less neglectable)?

I simply believe that Bookers play on both ends is currently the reason for the lack of success. I am perfectly aware that i am more or less alone around here with that opinion. But a discussion board exists to exchange different positions in a civilized way. I dont know what else to say if it is what i believe. I dont know what all of this has to do with Rubio ("your boy") either. I'd say the exact same thing if he werent even on that roster. Booker demands and gets the biggest role on the team, gets the green light to do what ever he wants, gets all sorts of praise (look at the outrage regarding the so called snub) but somehow its not allowed to express criticism? From big power comes big responsibility ;) He has to play within his role on Offense and he has to start investing a lot more on defense if this ship is to be turned around. Noone else, no akquisitions no coach moves nothing will change that. I've preached the same to a bunch of fanboys in minnesota regarding towns, for years, receiving similar responses as here. Well,look what they say now .Everyone knows Towns is just like booker a black hole on D.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,086

Post#272 » by oddity » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:29 pm

I really think the lynchpin we are missing is a dynamic scoring point guard that can light it up from distance and still create for himself and others. Kinda wishing we had made a play for D'Angelo in the off season tbh...
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...

Return to Phoenix Suns