ImageImageImage

Game 60: Detroit Pistons (19-41) @ Phoenix Suns (24-35)

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Who's having/had the best game (can change vote)

Ayton
69%
Booker
No votes
Bridges
13%
Rubio
19%

Total votes: 16

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Re: Game 60: Detroit Pistons (19-41) @ Phoenix Suns (24-35) 

Post#241 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:26 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Preface this by saying it can change in the future but 19/20 Booker is the Philip Rivers of the NBA. Very good but not quite on the top tier, team seems to find new and gut wrenching ways to lose, if it's close late they both have as good of a chance of doing something good or terrible.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

LOL. Rivers also had elite seasons, many trips to the playoffs and playoff wins, etc. He just makes more mistakes when he has no OL for protection or time in the pocket. The biggest similarity to this year's Suns team and the Chargers is injuries.
:) Just having a little fun with a cross sport analogy. Good point on the injuries and I stand by my team finding awful ways to lose. Lol

Who do you think will be running QB for your Bolts next year? They are in such a weird spot with the LA move, I just don't see how they are going to have a big fan base.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#242 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:31 pm

Saberestar wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Sunsdeuce wrote:There are all-star role players and all-star franchise players. I think booker falls into all-star role player. Like Majerle was an all-star role player.

I’m at the point that I firmly believe that Ayton is the franchise player. And this team needs to realize that. This team goes as Ayton goes.

Read on Twitter
I agree they need to try to go to Ayton more but realistically it's hard to completely feature a player who isn't a ball handler. Teams can shift their d to deny and if you start forcing it the turnovers start.

If you look around the league very few good teams best players aren't offensive initiators.

This is the truth.

I don't think there is one single team in the league who has as a go-to guy and first option on offense a player who can't initiate or create consistently.

I am OK with way we are building our team. Booker has had some bad games here or there, but he can be a solid first option on a playoff team, I am pretty sure about it. He is yet developing his game, we need to remember that he is just 23 years old, but he has shown enough as a scorer and creator.

He hasn't been clutch the on last few close games, but other than Oubre who has been clutch on our team? No one. He is our only decent option on those moments. What we need is another couple of players on this roster who can create and score easily.

Just look the Thunder. They have CP3, Shroeder, SGA and Gallinari. All four player can create from the perimeter and are dangerous with the ball on their hands. On our team is just Booker. Rubio struggles shooting and Oubre struggles with his decision making... and Ayton/Bridges are not ready to create off the bounce consistently.

We are 24W-36L and we re on the right track. This season it is about being competitive and get at least 30 wins. We are OK but we need to improve a bit our roster this summer to take the next step.
The sixers are probably the closest thing with Embiid.

Then Id say Gobert is the Jazz best player but Mitchell is 1b. Same with Indiana and Sabonis with Dipo or Brogdon as the next. Those are the sort of models the suns will probably need to copy.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#243 » by bwgood77 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:22 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Preface this by saying it can change in the future but 19/20 Booker is the Philip Rivers of the NBA. Very good but not quite on the top tier, team seems to find new and gut wrenching ways to lose, if it's close late they both have as good of a chance of doing something good or terrible.

LOL. Rivers also had elite seasons, many trips to the playoffs and playoff wins, etc. He just makes more mistakes when he has no OL for protection or time in the pocket. The biggest similarity to this year's Suns team and the Chargers is injuries.
:) Just having a little fun with a cross sport analogy. Good point on the injuries and I stand by my team finding awful ways to lose. Lol

Who do you think will be running QB for your Bolts next year? They are in such a weird spot with the LA move, I just don't see how they are going to have a big fan base.

Probably Tyrod Taylor for one year and maybe they draft Herbert, though not sure how much I like him. Some talk about Bridgewater too.
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#244 » by hollywood6964 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:14 pm

I didn't even watch the game.

But since the score was so close I'm guessing-

Booker was absolute trash in crunch time.
Rubio was not much better.
Chief reasons we lost the final few minutes.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Post#245 » by Saberestar » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:15 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I agree they need to try to go to Ayton more but realistically it's hard to completely feature a player who isn't a ball handler. Teams can shift their d to deny and if you start forcing it the turnovers start.

If you look around the league very few good teams best players aren't offensive initiators.

This is the truth.

I don't think there is one single team in the league who has as a go-to guy and first option on offense a player who can't initiate or create consistently.

I am OK with way we are building our team. Booker has had some bad games here or there, but he can be a solid first option on a playoff team, I am pretty sure about it. He is yet developing his game, we need to remember that he is just 23 years old, but he has shown enough as a scorer and creator.

He hasn't been clutch the on last few close games, but other than Oubre who has been clutch on our team? No one. He is our only decent option on those moments. What we need is another couple of players on this roster who can create and score easily.

Just look the Thunder. They have CP3, Shroeder, SGA and Gallinari. All four player can create from the perimeter and are dangerous with the ball on their hands. On our team is just Booker. Rubio struggles shooting and Oubre struggles with his decision making... and Ayton/Bridges are not ready to create off the bounce consistently.

We are 24W-36L and we re on the right track. This season it is about being competitive and get at least 30 wins. We are OK but we need to improve a bit our roster this summer to take the next step.
The sixers are probably the closest thing with Embiid.

Then Id say Gobert is the Jazz best player but Mitchell is 1b. Same with Indiana and Sabonis with Dipo or Brogdon as the next. Those are the sort of models the suns will probably need to copy.

I would say that Embiid is way better than Ayton for now scoring by himself. He gets to the line a lot and he is a good passer when doubled. So IMO he is an offensive initiator.

Mitchell is offensively way more important than Gobert on the Jazz. And looking their age, usage and all around game I would say that their franchise player is clearly Mitchell over Gobert.

Gobert is an amazing rim protector and great rebounder, but you don't build your offense or your team around a limited offensive player as him..

Regarding Sabonis... great frontcourt player but I think he is not their best player. When healthy is obviously Oladipo, and they would go as far as Oladipo goes.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,347

Post#246 » by Revived » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:56 pm

Saberestar wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Sunsdeuce wrote:There are all-star role players and all-star franchise players. I think booker falls into all-star role player. Like Majerle was an all-star role player.

I’m at the point that I firmly believe that Ayton is the franchise player. And this team needs to realize that. This team goes as Ayton goes.

Read on Twitter
I agree they need to try to go to Ayton more but realistically it's hard to completely feature a player who isn't a ball handler. Teams can shift their d to deny and if you start forcing it the turnovers start.

This is the truth.

I am OK with the way we are building our team. Booker has had some bad games here or there, but he can be a solid first option on a playoff team, I am pretty sure about it. He is yet developing his game, we need to remember that he is just 23 years old, but he has shown enough as an scorer and creator.

He hasn't been clutch on the last few close games, but other than Oubre who has been clutch on our team? No one. He is our only decent option on those moments. What we need is another couple of players on this roster who can create and score easily.

I disagree entirely, I don’t think Booker can ever be a 1st option on a contending team. I know he’s young but to be a first option on a contender, you need to at least show flashes, look at Tatum if you want an example of what it’s supposdd to look like. When the Celtics really need a basket, he gets it. And their around the same age as well and Book actually has been in the NBA longer than Tatum.

For the Suns, Booker is arguably the least clutch player in the entire starting lineup. I would rather have Rubio, Bridges, Johnson or Ayton taking a last second shot than Booker because there’s like a 99.8% possibility that Booker will either miss it or turn it over. He looks scared like a puppy in those situations and you can tell the defenders take advantage of that.

Forget 1st option, I’m starting to wonder if Booker can ever be a 2nd option on a contender. He has pretty weak dribbles overall and can’t break down a defender without having to use a screen time and time again.

Oubre is our most clutch player and it’s not particularly close imo. Too bad he was out for this game. Still to lose to the **** Pistons who are missing guys themselves and traded away their starting C just few weeks ago is just embarrassing when we still have our $150M man and Rubio+ Ayton all still healthy.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,205

Post#247 » by King4Day » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:05 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:I didn't even watch the game.

But since the score was so close I'm guessing-

Booker was absolute trash in crunch time.
Rubio was not much better.
Chief reasons we lost the final few minutes.

First half we looked great. Ayton was a total monster and unstoppable.
We went into the 2nd half up 2 I believe. You would think we would pull away in the 3rd but Detroit got really hot from 3 and we went ice cold.
Went down by 11 or 12. The game was over with 2 min left but we made a couple 3's and were able to pull to within 2. Then after a long possession, late in the shot clock, Rose makes a floater he was making all game and that was sorta it. Book missed a chance to win at the buzzer (didn't get it off in time).
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,069

Post#248 » by SlovenianDragon » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:32 pm

If we lose to GS today after what happened yesterday im going to have a melt down... :lol: :(
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Post#249 » by Saberestar » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:35 pm

Revived wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I agree they need to try to go to Ayton more but realistically it's hard to completely feature a player who isn't a ball handler. Teams can shift their d to deny and if you start forcing it the turnovers start.

This is the truth.

I am OK with the way we are building our team. Booker has had some bad games here or there, but he can be a solid first option on a playoff team, I am pretty sure about it. He is yet developing his game, we need to remember that he is just 23 years old, but he has shown enough as an scorer and creator.

He hasn't been clutch on the last few close games, but other than Oubre who has been clutch on our team? No one. He is our only decent option on those moments. What we need is another couple of players on this roster who can create and score easily.

I disagree entirely, I don’t think Booker can ever be a 1st option on a contending team. I know he’s young but to be a first option on a contender, you need to at least show flashes, look at Tatum if you want an example of what it’s supposdd to look like. When the Celtics really need a basket, he gets it. And their around the same age as well and Book actually has been in the NBA longer than Tatum.

For the Suns, Booker is arguably the least clutch player in the entire starting lineup. I would rather have Rubio, Bridges, Johnson or Ayton taking a last second shot than Booker because there’s like a 99.8% possibility that Booker will either miss it or turn it over. He looks scared like a puppy in those situations and you can tell the defenders take advantage of that.

Forget 1st option, I’m starting to wonder if Booker can ever be a 2nd option on a contender. He has pretty weak dribbles overall and can’t break down a defender without having to use a screen time and time again.

Oubre is our most clutch player and it’s not particularly close imo. Too bad he was out for this game. Still to lose to the **** Pistons who are missing guys themselves and traded away their starting C just few weeks ago is just embarrassing when we still have our $150M man and Rubio+ Ayton all still healthy.

Well, I didn't say on a contending team, I said on a playoff team. It's different because you really need to be a superstar (LeBron, Curry, Harden, Leonard...) to be a 1st option on a contender.

Booker is not on that level yet, but he is not a worse option than Mitchell or DeRozan who were first options on playoffs teams last year, just to give you a couple of examples.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#250 » by LesGrossman » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:39 pm

I still dont get the "1st option-2nd option-3rd option" stuff. Take the best shot available, regardless of who it is.

As for Booker, as one of his biggest critics, i dont think he is "trash" or "not clutch" or anything like that, its just that either by his own desire or by coach decision he is completely misused. He is simply doing things hes not good at, when he COULD be absolutely unstoppable if playing the right way. I still think the majority of shots should be distributed between Booker and Ayton and Oubre should not play in the starting unit at all. But for Devin its about time to realize his limitations and own them. No more whining no Kobe mimicking, find what how he operates best (in my opinion, get open off the ball by curling over screens and getting switches, then catch the ball and immediately attack or shoot). He seems to have a slightly overbloated ego by all the media attention so he'd REALLY need Monty to do some reality check with him. I see a change in his contribution since all star day so maybe that has alredy happened but not with the desired results. If he either plays completely passive and uninvolved and unmotivated OR demands the ball every time he really proves to be uncoachable and therefore useless.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,347

Post#251 » by Revived » Sun Mar 1, 2020 12:24 am

Booker’s not a good “self shot creator”. Unfortunately, he’s still the best shot creator we have on the team especially when Oubre is out. Anytime he gets the ball and tries to go “iso” it’s always after a screen because he can hardly ever break down his individual defender. This is part of his athletic shortcomings.

This is in large part due to James Jones who has filled the team full of guys who are more adapt at standing in the corner while waiting for someone to give them the ball and a PG who can create for others but not for himself due to wildly inconsistent shooting.
itlnsunsfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 877

Post#252 » by itlnsunsfan » Sun Mar 1, 2020 12:46 am

I wonder if it's detrimental for Booker to compete in the 3pt competition because it encourages him to shoot from 3 more in games. He's just not as good a 3pt shooter in games for whatever reason. His bread and butter in games is mid range. He leads the league in free throw percentage. Anywhere from free throw range in is basically a layup. I've also noticed, when he starts the game attacking from midrange, his feel from 3 is better.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#253 » by RunDogGun » Mon Mar 2, 2020 3:29 pm

So we ended the game with Rubio, Booker, Cam, Bridges, and Ayton? Boy I am so shocked we waited until the end of the quarters to use that line up, just like we waited to use that same lineup but with Oubre. :banghead:

Return to Phoenix Suns